What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Henson (1 Viewer)

I don't think Henson's a first rounder, because any team that would use a first on him knows a 2nd (more likely a 3rd or even a 4th) would get him from the Texans.Why risk that (a) he won't be there when you pick and (b) it will cost you a 1st rounder - when you could have him signed seeled and delivered prior to draft day.HERD
Agree except if there are two teams that really want him, you have to hope (think) that they will dive up his value. Sure, he will command most likely a late 2nd or 3rd but if two teams are involved, that will drive his value up. It makes NO sense for Drew to try his luck in the draft because he will then have NO control where he will get drafted. As a Texans fan, I just hope and pray that at least two teams will fall in love with this kid and give up more than his worth.

Back to the Drew Henson discussion...As I see it, the teams who could be looking for a QB to either start or as a guy to groom for the future include:PittsburghNY GiantsMiamiBuffaloDallasGreen BaySan Diego?Arizona?Oakland?Tampa Bay?I put Dallas pretty low down the list, as I'm not sure that they would be willing to take another chance on a young QB, after going through Carter, Hutchinson and Anthony Wright in the past 3 years. I included San Diego, Arizona and Oakland as they will be in prime position to take one of the top QB's in the draft, but it could be more beneficial for them to get Henson for a third (or whatever the current asking price is), and then trade their top pick for another first, + what they paid for Henson + probably something else as well. I'm not sure how likely that is, but its a possibility.I included Buffalo and Miami as they are both likely to take a QB in the first 3 rounds of the draft anyway, and Henson could be a better option at his price than the likes of Losman, or Rivers who would be avaliable when they are looking to make that pick.Of that list, I think Pittsburgh obviously makes the most sense, as they have a fairly immediate need at QB, but seeing as how Henson will likely need a little while to get back in to football shape, both physically and mentally, one of the other teams looking for a QB to groom would be a possibility.
good stuff here....I think you can pretty much include all NFL teams in terms of getting a most likely #1 overall player (if he hadn't gone to baseball) for a 2nd or 3rd round pick to be a lock and what team could really pass that up? All but about 5 or so teams, if they can get Drew on the cheap, would be foolish to overlook him.

I am a Michigan wolverines fan and a buffalo bills fan. So this may be wishful thinking but I truly enjoy when my team's college players go to my NFL team. I don't mind those buckeye DB's they sent either, their pretty good. Carry on.

One major drawback for the Steelers trading Hensen would be his salary demands. The Steelers are not going to pay #1 money to both their #1 pick and Hensen.

One major drawback for the Steelers trading Hensen would be his salary demands. The Steelers are not going to pay #1 money to both their #1 pick and Hensen.
1st round $$$??????There's a Rookie Cap, and Henson would be signed BY THE TEXANS for 6th round $$$. He can't get 1st round $$$, unless he goes back into the draft and is selected in the 1st round.

He can get first round $$$ if he signs with the Texans for the minimum, is traded to the Steelers (for example) for a draft pick, and is immediately given an extension by the Steelers that includes an ungodly signing bonus...

People, think outside the box a little.

HERD

He can get first round $$$ if he signs with the Texans for the minimum, is traded to the Steelers (for example) for a draft pick, and is immediately given an extension by the Steelers that includes an ungodly signing bonus...

HERD
you can't get a contract restructure without playing a down in the NFLit has to be one season MINIMUM, MOST cases have to wait 2 or 3 years .... per the CBA ... remember how after his rookie year, Portis was talking about holding out ..... NFLPA called and said couldn't be done after one year. Certain LOW round picks, can be given new deals after one year ..... but those are uncommon situations.

thinking outside the box doesn't do you a bit of good, if the rules prevent it

Last edited by a moderator:
you can't get a contract restructure without playing a down in the NFL

it has to be one season MINIMUM, MOST cases have to wait 2 or 3 years .... per the CBA ... remember how after his rookie year, Portis was talking about holding out ..... NFLPA called and said couldn't be done after one year. Certain LOW round picks, can be given new deals after one year ..... but those are uncommon situations.

got link?

you can't get a contract restructure without playing a down in the NFL

it has to be one season MINIMUM, MOST cases have to wait 2 or 3 years .... per the CBA ... remember how after his rookie year, Portis was talking about holding out ..... NFLPA called and said couldn't be done after one year. Certain LOW round picks, can be given new deals after one year ..... but those are uncommon situations.

I imagine that Henson would be seen as a special case since:1. He was drafted, but never signed to a contract

2. His rights will be traded to another team.

I think that he definately won't count under the 2004 rookie cap for whatever team he's traded to.

I'm not sure why he would be subject to being "slotted" by the draft pick used to take him. Slotting isn't a mandated procedure, teams just use it as it makes it easier to determine a salary for a player who has yet to play in the NFL. In this case, Henson's value to an NFL team would clearly be higher than his slotted value as a 4th rounder, and he would almost certainly not sign a contract that has 4th rounder money (he could make more sitting in Columbus collecting his check from the Yankees).

The CBA is MUCH more complicated then your allowing. There are loopholes all over the place, including the one that APPEARS to suggest a player of Portis's situation (having signed a contract with a team) can't demand to restructure but a player of Henson's status (not under contract already) can sign a contract with multiple provisions.Its possible he could sign a 6th round $$$ contract with the Texans that includes a large bonus if he's traded. Its possible he could sign a 1-year deal with the Texans that includes a large bonus which is entirely transferrable to the Steelers (for example). Obviously, he's not signing anything without all the details worked out. I'm not a lawyer, but the CBA leaves some room to move on this one. I was simply offering one suggestion of how he could get the money he's due without having to go back into the draft pool.HERD

got link?
no ..... just remember hearing Shanny & Sundquist talk about it during camp on a local radio show.if you find evidence to the contrary, please enlighten me, and I'll retract what I said.

Guys, no one is going to trade for Henson when they could simply draft him in April. If any team offers compensation to Houston, all they are getting is the rights, which last until draft day. The acquiring team would also have to then get Henson to agree on a contract prior to the draft, and obviously the guy isn't going to be stupid and sign a deal that doesn't reward him like he's a 1st rounder, when he could very easily end up a first rounder the following month.Henson will be available in the draft, and depending on how serious he is about making a go in the NFL, his agent will make him available beforehand for interviews and workouts. If he actually puts himself out there to teams and agrees to workouts prior to the draft, some team will take him no later than the 2nd for sure.Cheers

Guys, no one is going to trade for Henson when they could simply draft him in April. If any team offers compensation to Houston, all they are getting is the rights, which last until draft day. The acquiring team would also have to then get Henson to agree on a contract prior to the draft, and obviously the guy isn't going to be stupid and sign a deal that doesn't reward him like he's a 1st rounder, when he could very easily end up a first rounder the following month.
Why would a team trade for Henson when they could draft him???? BECAUSE THEY COULD TRADE FOR HIM CHEAPER THAN THEY MAY BE ABLE TO DRAFT HIM!!!No team is going to be STUPID enough to trade for him, without him being under contract.Jason, it's not OBVIOUS that Henson wants 1st round $$$, he MAY want control over his destiny more than the $$$ right away (going to the right situation could pay off more in the long run than getting $$$ up front). Jason, if it is OBVIOUS, please enlighten me to his quote that I missed.

Why would a team trade for Henson when they could draft him???? BECAUSE THEY COULD TRADE FOR HIM CHEAPER THAN THEY MAY BE ABLE TO DRAFT HIM!!!No team is going to be STUPID enough to trade for him, without him being under contract.Jason, it's not OBVIOUS that Henson wants 1st round $$$, he MAY want control over his destiny more than the $$$ right away (going to the right situation could pay off more in the long run than getting $$$ up front). Jason, if it is OBVIOUS, please enlighten me to his quote that I missed.
Cool Beans,Henson doesn't control his own destiny. Again, why would a team risk trading for his rights that last all but another two months without first getting some kind of verbal committment from he and his agent that he's willing to sign a long term deal? This is a guy who hasn't played a lick of football in years, and who remember walked away from Michigan and passed up opportunities to come back to football despite the Yanks all but telling him he had no future with the big league club. Teams don't go throwing around draft picks for nothing and if you think Henson is going to say, "OK, I could get 1st round money in April but since I really REALLY want to play for team X I'll take less." Wont' happen.Cheers

HERD
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Gotta disagree. I think Henson does control his destiny. Unless he agrees to a contract, no team will deal for him, and the Texans lose his rights in two months. He can essentially negotiate his price with a couple of teams that he would like to play for, come to a verbal agreement, and force the Texans to deal him there. It's in everyone's interests to allow Drew to pick a spot, name his price, and let the teams work out the compensation.Remember, money shouldn't be too large of an obstacle here. Drew's already a very rich man, and he doesn't have time to sit and wait for 3 years. Opportunity is extremely valuable to Drew at this point.Drew's pulling the strings right now boys. Don't be fooled.

... and passed up opportunities to come back to football despite the Yanks all but telling him he had no future with the big league club.
links?I'm pretty sure he was on the Yanks playoff roster (at least I saw him on the roster on their website). You don't make it on the playoff roster without being projected to have some kind of future in baseball.

Jason,We'll have to see how this unfolds, but I believe if Henson has ANY intention of playing football ever again, he's going to sign with the Texans and work a trade prior to draft day. Why would he go back into the draft? He would't have a say in where he goes, would't have a say in how much he gets ($$$) since its mostly slotted, and the teams interested in him can't possibly be THAT interested because they'd have to hope a heralded prospect drops to them in the 3rd or 4th round.....when they could offer the Texans a 3rd rounder right now and snag Henson without the headache of waiting for him on draft day.As I said, we'll have to see how this unfolds, but if Henson goes back into the draft-pool, I wouldn't be surprised if NO ONE drafted him before the 6th or 7th, since he would basically be saying he's not introduced in football...HERD

Henson doesn't control his own destiny.
Yes, he does.Hypothetical situation:

Do you think Houston wants to get something out of the INVESTMENT it had in Henson? YES!

Do you think Houston would be willing to talk trade with 3 or 4 teams that Drew would put on a wishlist, with the condition that he would sign ONLY if he was traded to one of those 3 or 4 teams? To get a return on their investment, Houston would more than likely talk trade with those 3 or 4 teams and try to get the best deal.

IF Drew wanted to control his own situation, he could do that.

Question: When is the Deadline that the Texans have until to sign/trade him? (date?).....in other words, IF Texans AREN'T able to trade him, how much time between that deadline and the draft so that teams would be able to evaluate his skills? NOTE: NFL Draft is April 24 and 25th

Yes, he does.

Hypothetical situation:

Do you think Houston wants to get something out of the INVESTMENT it had in Henson? YES!

Do you think Houston would be willing to talk trade with 3 or 4 teams that Drew would put on a wishlist, with the condition that he would sign ONLY if he was traded to one of those 3 or 4 teams? To get a return on their investment, Houston would more than likely talk trade with those 3 or 4 teams and try to get the best deal.

IF Drew wanted to control his own situation, he could do that.
Coolbeans,I must admit I hadn't thought the negotiations angle through until you and tommygunz spelled it out. You could both be right, IF he's serious about coming to the NFL, he controls his own destiny but also better get a move on if he wants to get a team interested.

Cheers

It boggles my mind that people think this kid is gonna be primarily motivated by money. If that were the case, he would SIT ON HIS BUTT AND COLLECT A PAYCHECK WHILE DOING NOTHING!It seems implicit that he does not want to be anything less than an elite athlete playing at the highest level of his sport, and this implies that he will be highly motivated. If the athletic potential at QB was there, and he is still an athlete in elite shape (even if it is baseball, rather than football, shape), why is it difficult to imagine that he will be able to play at the NFL level after a period of adjustment?Also, it is in everyone's best interest for a deal to get made prior to the draft. The Texans get nothing if they do not sign or trade him. Henson goes to the draft and has no control over the team he goes to, although if he goes in the first round he may get more money, but if that was his primary motivation then why not just play baseball? He would more likely want to choose a team that he will have the best long-term or most immediate opportunity with, depending on his agenda. And the team making the deal for him would most likely get him at less of a cost (2nd or 3rd) than if they drafted him (1st or 2nd). Of course they will have a deal worked out ahead of time before trading for him. Duh.So why shouldn't a deal get done? Sounds like it works for everyone. Maybe I am just missing something...

As for why people think Henson could fail, there's a pretty recent example of a guy who was touted as a top QB, but went and played baseball instead. Chad Hutchinson hasn't turned out too well in the NFL.I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of Hutchinson's intital draft prospects, and Henson's.

As for why people think Henson could fail, there's a pretty recent example of a guy who was touted as a top QB, but went and played baseball instead. Chad Hutchinson hasn't turned out too well in the NFL.I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of Hutchinson's intital draft prospects, and Henson's.
That would be no more telling than seeing the initial draft prospects on Rick Mirer vs. Drew Bledsoe, or Ryan Leaf vs. Peyton Manning, or Akili Smith vs. Donovan McNabb vs. Cade McNown vs. Daunte Culpepper vs. Tim Couch.Both Hutchinson and Henson carrie prototypical NFL size, armstrength and mechanics...how they handle the pressure, study and break down film, make their progressions and react in game time are X factors that can't largely be answered until they both get on the NFL field.Cheers

I can't remember Hutchinson ever being touted as a potential #1 overall draft pick nor receiving anywhere near the hype that Henson was getting. I think comparing the two is apples and oranges, but I actually thought Hutchinson looked decent at times in 2002, especially in comparison to Quincy Carter. Talk was that Parcells went with Carter this year b/c of his mobility since the Cowboys O-line was not exactly considered a strength going into the season.Perhaps the 'Boys could have been just as successful if they had gone with Hutch but perhaps improved the line or brought in a better RB prior to 2003.Henson probably won't go ahead of the big 4 (manning, Big Ben, Rivers, and Losman) but I'd think he'd fit in somewhere late 2nd unless he really impressed people during his workouts.

Question: When is the Deadline that the Texans have until to sign/trade him? (date?).....in other words, IF Texans AREN'T able to trade him, how much time between that deadline and the draft so that teams would be able to evaluate his skills? NOTE: NFL Draft is April 24 and 25th
Anyone?

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of Hutchinson's intital draft prospects, and Henson's.
Hutch was graded by Joel Buchsbaum as a POTENTIAL first rounder, based on his physical traits, in his limited stint at Stanford.Buchsbaum (and Charlie Casserly) rated Henson right there with David Carr, in Henson's limited stint at Michigan.BIG difference.(don't have the link to that article on PFW, because it's not there anymore).

Question:  When is the Deadline that the Texans have until to sign/trade him? (date?).....in other words, IF Texans AREN'T able to trade him, how much time between that deadline and the draft so that teams would be able to evaluate his skills? NOTE:  NFL Draft is April 24 and 25th
Anyone?
they have until draft day to sign Henson

Last edited by a moderator:
Question:  When is the Deadline that the Texans have until to sign/trade him? (date?).....in other words, IF Texans AREN'T able to trade him, how much time between that deadline and the draft so that teams would be able to evaluate his skills? NOTE:  NFL Draft is April 24 and 25th
Anyone?
they have until draft day to sign Henson
that can't be right.........there's got to be a deadline BEFORE the actual draft........whether it's two weeks before, one week, one day................You don't just show up draft day not knowing if they've signed him or not........teams HAVE to be given the opportunity to evaluate him if he's in the 2004 draft.

I wouldn't be at all surpised to see him go in the first round. He was considered a better prospect than David Carr before he quit football. He won't be taken in front of Roethlisberger or Manning, but he has an outside chance to pass both Losman and Rivers.

Supposedly he's going to have a workout with potential teams mid February. I think the teams that will show up are Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Green Bay. Maybe others, but I believe those are the most serious suitors.I think when that happens there will be more of a flurry of movement. The texans obviously will want to get a deal done. Supposedly the steelers were the most interested but the texans asking price was too high.If he goes back into the draft I'd be downright amazed.We're not talking about Hutchinson type material here... this guy would have given Carr a run for his money at the top spot of the draft... top 3 most likely, to 10 lock.

that can't be right.........there's got to be a deadline BEFORE the actual draft........whether it's two weeks before, one week, one day................You don't just show up draft day not knowing if they've signed him or not........teams HAVE to be given the opportunity to evaluate him if he's in the 2004 draft.
They have until the second before San Diego is "OFFICIALLY" on the clock. This isn't fantasy football, where you have a week between keeper declaration and the draft. This is the NFL, if teams didn't have a file on Henson LAST YEAR, they should fire their scouting/personnell staff and get one that has a clue .... teams should've had an evaluation when he was first elligible!

Boone link on mlb.com

From the article:

If Boone is out for the year, New York's current options at third base include Enrique Wilson and Miguel Cairo. Drew Henson, the team's third-base prospect at Triple-A, is not considered ready for the Majors, though minor league shortstop Erick Almonte has played some third base.

Sounds like they still wouldn't want him, but I guess you never know.

We'll have to see how this unfolds, but I believe if Henson has ANY intention of playing football ever again, he's going to sign with the Texans and work a trade prior to draft day.
Maybe this is a technicality, but Henson's rights would be traded to another team contigent on Henson signing a contract. Houston has a say on where he goes since they will be negotiating the compensation.Henson has a say since he has to sign a contract.I would expect the Henson's contract and draft pick compensation would all have to be negotiated simultaneously with multiple teams. But if Henson wants to play football, it makes the most sense that a deal be done prior to the draft rather than re-entering the draft.By the way, I believe if Hanson goes back into the draft and does not sign, the drafting team keeps his rights indefinately. You can only go back into the draft once. This is off memory from the John Elway draft/trade.

links?I'm pretty sure he was on the Yanks playoff roster (at least I saw him on the roster on their website). You don't make it on the playoff roster without being projected to have some kind of future in baseball.
Henson was or is on the Yankees 40 man roster not their playoff roster. There is a big difference.

Maybe this is a technicality, but Henson's rights would be traded to another team contigent on Henson signing a contract. Houston has a say on where he goes since they will be negotiating the compensation.Henson has a say since he has to sign a contract.I would expect the Henson's contract and draft pick compensation would all have to be negotiated simultaneously with multiple teams. But if Henson wants to play football, it makes the most sense that a deal be done prior to the draft rather than re-entering the draft.By the way, I believe if Hanson goes back into the draft and does not sign, the drafting team keeps his rights indefinately. You can only go back into the draft once. This is off memory from the John Elway draft/trade.
I believe that if Henson goes back into the draft and is not drafted then he becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere and Houston would not have any rights to him.

I believe that if Henson goes back into the draft and is not drafted then he becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere and Houston would not have any rights to him.
You are correct. I was referring to the scenario where Henson goes back into the draft, another team drafts him, and he does not sign (say to continue playing baseball). The new team keeps his rights indefinately.

By the way, I believe if Hanson goes back into the draft and does not sign, the drafting team keeps his rights indefinately.  You can only go back into the draft once.  This is off memory from the John Elway draft/trade.
You are correct. I was referring to the scenario where Henson goes back into the draft, another team drafts him, and he does not sign (say to continue playing baseball). The new team keeps his rights indefinately.
This seems to say to Henson could be drafted again in 2004.....not sign a contract.....and be a UFA in 2005:The Texans drafted Henson in the sixth round with the idea of trading him. If he plays out his baseball contract, he won't become an NFL free agent until 2007. If he reaches a buyout of his baseball contract after this season, his rights belong to the Texans until the next draft. Under NFL rules, a player must go through two drafts without being signed to become a free agent. That means Henson would have to participate in the 2004 draft, then sit out that season, too, which means he wouldn't be unrestricted until 2005.link

I was listening to sports talk radio and the hosts were interviewing some guy who's name I've forgotten but apparently he is the guy who was hired by Tom Condon (Hensons agent) to basically coach Henson and get him in football shape. He said a few things that were interesting.- It's his understanding that Henson has completely given up any idea of playing baseball again. He's totally committed to playing football. They asked specifically if the Aaron Boone injury might make a difference and the answer was "No. I asked him today about that and he said it makes no difference."- He believes if Henson is traded before the draft, he will fetch a first round pick plus additional compensation. (Seems unlikely to me)- Other teams have to get Houstons permission to work him out but that shouldn't be a problem as Houston wants to trade him. They will have an open workout probably in late February and they are working on a video of Hensons workouts now.

another article:HENSON REPORT OFF BASE: SOURCE

January 28, 2004 -- An Internet report claiming that the Yankees are negotiating with Drew Henson's representatives to settle his contract so he can pursue the NFL is premature, according to a Yankee source. The club has not been approached about a settlement, the source added. That being said, it would certainly not be impossible for the two sides to discuss such a scenario at some point. Based on Henson's Triple-A performance (last year he hit .234 with 122 strikeouts and 28 errors), the Yankees would likely be open to his pursuing a football career. The Texans own Henson's NFL rights.

Henson expected to give up baseball
Henson expected to give up baseballBy CARLTON THOMPSONCopyright 2004 Houston ChronicleHas a new twist developed in the seemingly never-ending saga of New York Yankees farmhand/Texans draftee Drew Henson? That remains to be seen, but chances are Yankees third baseman Aaron Boone's possible season-ending knee injury won't affect the Texans' plans to trade the former University of Michigan quarterback. Henson, a struggling third baseman, who also dabbled in the outfield for the Yankees' Class AAA team at Columbus, Ohio, has been working out in Florida with former NFL assistant coach Larry Kennan. Sources say the fact Henson is devoting time to football is an indication he will give up his baseball career. The Yankees and Henson's agents are believed to be negotiating a release from the final three years of Henson's baseball contract. "That's between Drew and the Yankees," said Texans general manager Charley Casserly, who declined comment beyond that. It's unlikely the Yankees, with all their resources, would count on Henson as their starting third baseman, and several NFL teams, including Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Green Bay and Miami, are believed to have inquired about Henson, whom the Texans selected in the sixth round of the 2003 draft. Assuming he can get out of his contract with the Yankees, Henson has two options. He can strike a deal with another team and allow the Texans to sign him, work out compensation with the other team and trade him, or he can re-enter the draft and be at the mercy of whichever team drafts him.

ESPN's Insider Rumor Mill is reporting that talks for Henson are heating up, and cited a Detroit news article saying that Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Kansas City, Buffalo and Miami are the main teams interested. Henson coming to Buffalo would give an interesting story, in that both he and Bledsoe have both played with Tom Brady. Not that the situations are very similar, but it'll give the local media something to yap about on talk radio.

More info on Hensons workouts...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/s.../sports/2376551

"Former NFL quarterbacks coach Larry Kennan has been working with Drew Henson in Florida and says the former Michigan star will be among the first players drafted in this draft or any draft."

"This is a talented quarterback with a great arm," Kennan said Wednesday. "He's got all the tools. And he's got better touch than I thought he would. He's also a very bright guy who spends three or four hours a night studying film.

"There's no question in my mind that people are going to fall in love with him when they see him in person. There's also no doubt in my mind that he'll be the first or second pick in the draft, and I don't care who the competition is."

"I got a call telling me Drew's going to announce that he's going to play football and asking if I could spend some time with him. I said sure. Since November, I've been going to Florida on a fairly regular basis working with him on all kinds of stuff. And let me tell you, Drew Henson's very impressive."

Sounds almost like a done deal that he will be in the NFL next year...

Do any draftniks out there have the old 2002 draft notes on Henson? I'm interested to see what the big guys were saying about him. Where he compares etc.By the way, supposedly there was an interview with Casserly. He said that basically no team will get permission to work out with drew unless he is reasonably satisfied that drew henson will sign a contract with the Texans. There's just no way any team is going to take a shot at drew henson on the first day if they can't get a look at him before hand. Since the Texans hold his rights, any workout would be under their authority. Unless Henson works with the Texans... they won't give up that authority and any team viewing his workouts would be subject to penalties (give up draft picks etc). Therefore the Texans hold all the cards here. Unless Henson works out a deal the way the Texans want him to... no NFL team is going to get a peek at him before the draft and without that peek, no NFL team would take a shot at him early in the draft. It's a really smart move by Casserly.

Do any draftniks out there have the old 2002 draft notes on Henson? I'm interested to see what the big guys were saying about him. Where he compares etc.By the way, supposedly there was an interview with Casserly. He said that basically no team will get permission to work out with drew unless he is reasonably satisfied that drew henson will sign a contract with the Texans. There's just no way any team is going to take a shot at drew henson on the first day if they can't get a look at him before hand. Since the Texans hold his rights, any workout would be under their authority. Unless Henson works with the Texans... they won't give up that authority and any team viewing his workouts would be subject to penalties (give up draft picks etc). Therefore the Texans hold all the cards here. Unless Henson works out a deal the way the Texans want him to... no NFL team is going to get a peek at him before the draft and without that peek, no NFL team would take a shot at him early in the draft. It's a really smart move by Casserly.
I don't have anything on Henson from back then, but I remember him being talked about on the same level as David Carr, and some thought he would have been the #1 pick over Carr.On Houston having all the cards here, from what I've heard there's no indication that Henson is unwilling to make a deal with Houston. All the information that's come out shows that he wants to play football. Unless he's an idiot, he'd realize that its in his best interests to sign with houston and get traded. Sure, Houston could deny teams the ability to work out with Drew, but there's already been one workout with other teams, and no reason to believe that Drew is going back into the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread