What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Stanton...any upside for ARI Offense? (1 Viewer)

Black

Footballguy
Drew Stanton came into the league as a pretty highly touted 2nd round pick. He's bounced around and been a decent backup, but with very few starts. Was Luck's backup in Indy last year, and now Arians brings him in to ARI.

Based on the remaining QBs on the market and in the draft, seems like he's the QB1 for ARI this year? What are the thoughts on his prospects and him helping the rest of the ARI Offense?

He's awful, not sure what Arians is thinking other than he can run his offense in a pinch.

I dont see how he's any better/worse than lindley/skleton/kolb.

Ouch

As a #3 I liked Stanton in Detroit.

What can you expect? Stanton can run decent at times...and...well...thats about it.

Agree that Stanton and the Cards QBs are a disaster zone. Guessing they'll take Smith or Barkley despite all the noise they won't.
Doesn't bother me any, but do the mods mind your self promotion around here?
I'm posting to previously written stuff that's on topic in existing FBG topics -- with all the subsequent conversation happening on their boards. How is that different than posting a link to any other article that's relevant to a topic?

Agree that Stanton and the Cards QBs are a disaster zone. Guessing they'll take Smith or Barkley despite all the noise they won't.
I'm posting to previously written stuff that's on topic in existing FBG topics -- with all the subsequent conversation happening on their boards. How is that different than posting a link to any other article that's relevant to a topic?
No need to get defensive, it was nothing more than a question. I was curious.

I dont think he was being defensive. Just a clear cut explanation on what he was doing.

I dont think he was being defensive. Just a clear cut explanation on what he was doing.
Good point. It just seemed that he responded as if I was accusing him of something. I only asked in the first place because I'd seen other boards, for whatever reason, not being tolerant of this type of thing, which I never understood.

He's awful, not sure what Arians is thinking other than he can run his offense in a pinch.I dont see how he's any better/worse than lindley/skleton/kolb. Ouch
Agreed, he's not an upgrade at all IMO. And even if he does have some ability, he has a horrible offesnive line trying to protect him.

Don't think he's better/worse than Kolb, which is a backup quality NFL QB.

Arizona's Week 1 starter isn't on their roster IMO. Whether it be Palmer/G.Smith/someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might consider paying up to $5 for him in the subscriber contest if he has no real competition. That is the only fantasy squad I can imagine having him on.

Above average athleticism, good field smarts, throws like a woman.
Is this accurate?I have seen the opposite stated previously. Here's an excerpt:

Stanton has great upside and many positive attributes that have caught the interest of some teams. He possesses the size (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) and all the physical attributes that most scouts look for. He has terrific arm strength (he threw 55.7 mph at the NFL combine) along with good speed and accuracy.

The former Spartan has shown the ability to make all the throws required of an NFL quarterback. He has excelled in the short-passing game and has the arm strength to do damage with his deep ball. One of the nicest looking passes you will see from Stanton is the corner fade, which utilizes height or leaping ability from the connecting wide receiver.
There are plenty of similar reports, but you guys might find some speed comparisons interesting: Russell Wilson threw 55 mph at the combine, Newton 56 mph, Flacco 55 mph. Fun facts: Kaepernick, Weeden, and Cousins all were 59 mph. Colt Brennan managed 44 mph.

Stanton has great upside and many positive attributes that have caught the interest of some teams. He possesses the size (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) and all the physical attributes that most scouts look for. He has terrific arm strength (he threw 55.7 mph at the NFL combine) along with good speed and accuracy.

The former Spartan has shown the ability to make all the throws required of an NFL quarterback. He has excelled in the short-passing game and has the arm strength to do damage with his deep ball. One of the nicest looking passes you will see from Stanton is the corner fade, which utilizes height or leaping ability from the connecting wide receiver.
There are plenty of similar reports, but you guys might find some speed comparisons interesting: Russell Wilson threw 55 mph at the combine, Newton 56 mph, Flacco 55 mph. Fun facts: Kaepernick, Weeden, and Cousins all were 59 mph. Colt Brennan managed 44 mph.
Maybe he throws without logic and reason?

That was unexpected.

That was unexpected.
why? Kirk Cousins can play. Washington was very wise to take him even with RG3 in tow. They will flip him for picks eventually

That was unexpected.
why? Kirk Cousins can play. Washington was very wise to take him even with RG3 in tow. They will flip him for picks eventually
I love and own Cousins. I just didn't know he had that strong of an arm.

All I can tell is from the times I have watched him play for the Lions I remember thinking every pass had a chance to be picked due to the lack of velocity. Maybe he was just throwing his changeup that day.

Where'd you get the MPH on passes? Have never seen that before, but it's pretty interesting.
It's a standard measurement at the combine, however, people can skip it just like any other item at the combine. Quite a few guys didn't do it, such as Matt Ryan and Ryan Tannehill.

I liked Stanton coming in as a rookie, but he's had a long string of bad luck - injuries, replaced by Stafford, traded to the Jets who signed Tebow and then traded to the Colts who drafted Luck. He was decent in 2010 so I'm not ready to close the book on him but he's already 29.

He's awful, not sure what Arians is thinking other than he can run his offense in a pinch.I dont see how he's any better/worse than lindley/skleton/kolb. Ouch
All true. The Lions didn't even want to keep him as a #3.
It's more that they didn't need him as #3. They have one of the most reliable #2 QBs in Kitna.
You mean Hill.
Haha, yeah. I just read what I put down there. Holy Deja Vu!

People might have forgotten but when Stanton came out he was discussed as a possible 1st round draft pick. That was the JMarc Russell, Kevin Kolb, etc. draft, pretty much several name QBs and it's funny that Stanton is still standing.

People might have forgotten but when Stanton came out he was discussed as a possible 1st round draft pick. That was the JMarc Russell, Kevin Kolb, etc. draft, pretty much several name QBs and it's funny that Stanton is still standing.
You forgot Brady Quinn..

7 217 Minnesota Vikings Tyler Thigpen QB Coastal Carolina Big South

6 205 Washington Redskins Jordan Palmer QB UTEP C-USA from Chicago[69]

5* 174 Baltimore Ravens Troy Smith QB Ohio State Big Ten [60]

5 151 Cincinnati Bengals Jeff Rowe QB Nevada WAC

4 103 Dallas Cowboys Isaiah Stanback QB Washington Pac-10 from Cleveland[27]

3 92 Buffalo Bills Trent Edwards QB Stanford Pac-10 from Baltimore[38]

2 43 Detroit Lions Drew Stanton QB Michigan State Big Ten from Buffalo[22]

2 40 Miami Dolphins John Beck QB BYU MWC

2 36 Philadelphia Eagles Kevin Kolb QB Houston C-USA from Cleveland via Dallas[17][19]

1 22 Cleveland Browns Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame Ind. from Dallas[17]

1 1 Oakland Raiders JaMarcus Russell QB LSU SEC

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread