What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

dude accidentally releases edge james (1 Viewer)

tribecalledjeff

Footballguy
This is a $75 buy in league, first prize is $700, second is $200. I know these guys through a friend, and that's it. A guy releases Edge after the injury scare, and then says it was an accident. I'm first on the waiver list, and he's second. I can take him if I want - thoughts on whether or not this is ok??

for $75 he should be a little more careful with his team. This is money we are talking about, pick up Edge.

Personally, it'd cheapen my victory. Him screwing up like that not only impacts him, but all the other teams since you'd be getting another 1st round pick for free. I'd just pick up who you were going to select and make him waste his waiver spot taking back Edge.

Well, seems like a mistake...I dunno how your software works on a cut but HTML buttons and mouse wheels don't get along very well if you're not paying attention.I think a league vote is called for.

dude you're paying to be in this league..and have a chance to make moneyTAKE EDGE...if this was a free league. the decision would be different

Define "accident". How easy is it to screw that up? If it's something that could easily happen to anyone then pass. Otherwise take him.

If you feel he's made an honest mistake then agree with him to trade Edge back for something small. Otherwise, if you bypass Edge on waivers, someone else in your league may play "d*ckhead" and snap him up behind you before he reaches the original owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a similar situation in our league already this year. This league has been going on for years and is one solid league with no guppies in sight. However, one guy accidently dropped Jamal Lewis, and this guy is one huge Ravens fan! The first guy on the waiver wire scooped him up. By the time Friday rolled along a trade was made and everything returned back to the way it was. All in all it was a class act by the owner who scooped up Lewis on the waiver wire. This is what solidfies the friendships made in leagues and only strengthens it :thumbup: Mistakes do happen and if this is a league that you'd like to stay with for some time, then make the claim and help the guy out who made a waiver wire selection error. I know that it does seem like a rookie error and that the guy should learn his lesson, but in the long run you may turn out to be richer for it. Guys may approach you with more reasonable trade offers and you may strike up a better rapport with them. Make the claim and stick it to the guy and you may be one owner on an island by himself with only the waiver wire to rely on to make moves in the future.

Did the "accident" occur after the dude found out Edge wasn't seriously wounded?

I say pick him up. There are no accidents in fantasy ball?

Just like I am "accidentally" getting screwed by Jim Haslett over this whole McCallister issue! Sometimes you just have to suck it up and move on.

Dude blew it..

You need to work out an agreement with this guy. Tell him you want 50% of the winnings if he finishes 1st or 2nd. If he says no, you keep Edge and push on for the big bucks. :thumbup:

How quickly did he announce this was a mistake? Our league has a rule that says if you made an obvious gaffe (e.g. you dropped Culpepper or Owens for no apparent reason), and if you state so right away, you will get the drop reversed... Now, if he decided 2 days later he "made a mistake", that's a bit of a stretch. Frankly, whether this is a money or no money league should make no difference, IMHO. Do the right thing. If it was really a mistake, give Edge back. If it wasn't, don't.

Frankly, whether this is a money or no money league should make no difference, IMHO. Do the right thing. If it was really a mistake, give Edge back. If it wasn't, don't.
Yes, exactly. I don't know about you, but I sure wouldn't cut my first-round pick because there's a CHANCE he'll miss a couple games. Seems like it HAS to be a mistake.

This is a $75 buy in league, first prize is $700, second is $200. I know these guys through a friend, and that's it. A guy releases Edge after the injury scare, and then says it was an accident. I'm first on the waiver list, and he's second. I can take him if I want - thoughts on whether or not this is ok??
When did the guy claim it was an accident?If he dropped Edge and then immediately contracted the commish or posted on the league message board then I'd say let it go. But if the guy dropped Edge and it took him a few days to realize it, then pick him up and force the commish/league to make a decision.

Maybe I give people too much credit, but WHAT COULD POSSIBLY HAVE MADE SOMEONE CUT EDGE? It's not like it was an ACL scare or anything. If it wasn't an accident, this guy has ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS in a $75 league. Sorry, I just can't see it.

If your an honest human being, you should let him have Edge back. It's the right thing to do. Money isn't everything.

ask everyone else what they want to do. If you pass on him, then the #2 guy on the waiver list picks him up, what good is that?Either you take him or else he gets him back.

Look at the time stamps. If I released edge the fist thing I would do is email / call /post a message saying I made a mistake and dropped edge. If none of that happened, it is really up to your commisioner... I would personally say edge is yours.

If he posted on the message board or contacted the comish right after the oops.....I'd probalby let him have him back.Though I would not really be opposed to picking him up and trading him for one of his lesser bench players.....League vote is probably the way to go since it is amongst friends....as his penalty he should still have to kick in $$$ for his waiver moves or a nominal fee via kangaroo court.

Maybe I give people too much credit, but WHAT COULD POSSIBLY HAVE MADE SOMEONE CUT EDGE?
You click on the wrong button. Happens to everyone. Yes, folks should exercise proper care, but ultimately, FF isn't a game of who can press the right button or do it quicker, at least to me.

How quickly did he claim it was an accident? If he did it within minutes of dropping Edge......then yeah, you should give Edge back to him. Simple mistakes happen. But if he waited until AFTER hearing Edge would play -- screw him!And even if you DO give him back, I'd punish him by making him wait a week. :D

His mistake and, IMO, you should take him if it is a cutthroat league. A league with my friends, the commish would have already corrected the accident, so I have to assume noone is real close in your league. Therefore, take him.That said, I would probably let him give me a bench player I had my eye on to convince me to pass on Edge so he can reacquire him off the WW.

That said, I would probably let him give me a bench player I had my eye on to convince me to pass on Edge so he can reacquire him off the WW.
I really don't believe in middle ground here. Either it was a mistake, or it wasn't. If it was a mistake, which I would certainly hope it to be, give him Edge back. If it wasn't, take him. He shouldn't have to give up a player to correct an honest mistake, though.

I'm first on the waiver list, and he's second. I can take him if I want - thoughts on whether or not this is ok??
It's obvious only these two teams are at stake, not "letting him slip by" another owner might grab him.I know it sounds sappy, but if it happened to you, how would you feel if the guy above you in the waiver wire order took Edge from you after you acknowledged your mistake?Give him back.

Yes! You pick him up because you are the only guy with the integrity to then trade him back to the dope who made the mistake. Accidents are easy and he's either a moron or not. If he's not a complete moron you give him back, with the assumption he's telling the truth.However, it is ENTIRELY fair and reasonable to insist that he purchase the 12 pack of your choice. If he refuses, GO COLTS! :rotflmao:

If it was a mistake, which I would certainly hope it to be, give him Edge back.
Not up to the player to make that decision - the player plays within the rules to the best of his ability.It is up to the commish to correct mistakes - if the commish has decided to let Edge remain in the WW pool, then I, as a player with the first priority pick, will grab him and not look back. If I feel pity, I will trade my right to take Edge to the player at #2 for a player. This aint dancing, it's the game.If the guy w/WW#1 is the commish then he has an ethical obligation as commish to correct the mistake b/c he is profiting and he has the means to correct the mistake.I, as a player, have no obligation to let the guy behind me get Edge back - that is the commish's job.

After some thought, I'd either have the commisioner make a ruling or have all the owners take a vote as to whether or not this was a "legitimate accident". If it was, he gets him back. If not, edge becomes inactive for the rest of the season. No one should benefit to that degree from the moronic move of another player. If it was someone else with the first waiver pick, I would be pissed.

We had a similar situation in our league. A guy cut Duece on accident when he meant to put him on IR instead. I am the commissioner and I contacted him immediately. I didn't ask if it was a mistake because I didn't want to give him an easy out, just asked why he cut him. His response seemed genuinely surprised so I corrected it by adding Duece back to his roster. If it really was a mistake, then it should be corrected by the commissioner.

you guys are being rediculous :wall: let him pick edge back up, no one drops edge outright. let him pick him back up, if nothing else but to protect the integrity of the league.

This is something the commish should be involved in. I commish one of my leagues and if I believed it was truly a mistake I'd put him right back on that guy's roster.

That said, I would probably let him give me a bench player I had my eye on to convince me to pass on Edge so he can reacquire him off the WW.
I really don't believe in middle ground here. Either it was a mistake, or it wasn't. If it was a mistake, which I would certainly hope it to be, give him Edge back. If it wasn't, take him. He shouldn't have to give up a player to correct an honest mistake, though.
:thumbup: Agreed 100%.

Why agree? It WAS clearly a mistake.But, as a player, why should *I* correct a fellow player's mistake - the guy should b*tch to the commish and get it straightened out.If the commish comes to me and says "hey, it was a mistake, pass on Edge and he'll pick him back up with his waiver pick" then I'd say OK - that's a commissioner's ruling that I won't complain about.Also., if it was a friend of mine, I might do him the favor if I felt like keeping him as my friend.Competitive league, and another owner screwed up? His loss (combined with a failure to get action from the commish, whose job it is to step in when these type of situations emerge) = my fortune.

Why agree? It WAS clearly a mistake.But, as a player, why should *I* correct a fellow player's mistake - the guy should b*tch to the commish and get it straightened out.If the commish comes to me and says "hey, it was a mistake, pass on Edge and he'll pick him back up with his waiver pick" then I'd say OK - that's a commissioner's ruling that I won't complain about.Also., if it was a friend of mine, I might do him the favor if I felt like keeping him as my friend.Competitive league, and another owner screwed up? His loss (combined with a failure to get action from the commish, whose job it is to step in when these type of situations emerge) = my fortune.
Sorry, I have never played this game as anything but a commissioner, and I am only looking for the fair thing to do. But even if I was just a player in a league (regardless of $$$), I would rely on my own values above a commissioner's decision. It's no fun to win, if you don't deserve it.

To me, if he dropped him and said "OH CRAP!", immidiatley sent out an email to the commish, preferably to the league explaining what happened... then I think he should get his player back.Now, if he panicked when he heard Edge got hurt, waited 3 days and realized he was an idiot... then tough nuggies, MY EDGE NOW.It would depend on the context of the situation for me. If it was an accident, then it's a no brainer in my book, he ought to get Edge back. If not, he's all yours.

As has been mentioned numerous times, this entirely depends on when he decided it was a mistake. And the OP has yet to let us know that crucial bit of information. If it was two days later, then screw him because he's an idiot. If it was right away then it was legitimate and let him take him back. Pretty simple really.

That's funny - I thought the game was about competition.It's not ethics - it is competitiveness. It is the commissioner's job, and if he fails to do it, it's my gain.

It's no fun to win, if you don't deserve it.
Whatever - I'm not the one making foolish mistakes and then failing to raise a stink to the commissioner to correct it.Like I have said three times now - if it is a friend, or a friendly league, no prob. Competitive cutthroat league is different.You take the high road, I'll take the competitive one in that type of league.(and I'm sure I'd have plenty of fun spending the money - and I'd buy th eguy a beer - if it is the type of league that would not correct that type of mistake, then I will play as best I can within the rules. I play by the RULES - which is the only ethical compass I follow when facing cutthroat/non-friend competition)

To me, if he dropped him and said "OH CRAP!", immidiatley sent out an email to the commish, preferably to the league explaining what happened... then I think he should get his player back.
Yes, I agree that this changes the situation.THAT would be raising a stink to the commish. Absent that, no-holds barred in the type of league described.

This happened to me last year with a guy's 4th round pick. But there was at least some case that could be made that he meant to drop the guy. I picked him up and he ended up sucking for the rest of the year anyway. I did not give it back to the guy, primarily because the guy was a not-so friendly rival. Not like I hated the guy, but he always acted against me in league matters, so I felt no reason to help him out. Well, when the smoke cleared, the league folded after the season ended, and it was all the bickering over issues like this that probably caused it. And this was an awesome league for many years, too. What a shame. In your case, no case can be made that it was not an accident. Give it back, and make sure you get lots of brownie points for this with the whole league. Since it is not your league, you could be greedy about it. But karma is a boomerang!

Thanks for all the responses - didn't expect this many. The guy posted 1 day later to say he made a mistake. More info - he also made 2 other drop/adds at the same time. AND it wasn't a drop/add when he released edge, where you might have just clicked the wrong box, it was just a drop. He made a pickup (SF backup RB - roberson/robertson?) about 5 minutes later. I'm gonna take him - if I'm paying $75, it's not my responsibility to look out for other owner's interests...

I had a similar incident in my league. Our league is only a $10 buy in to cover the cost of the league and there is no prize up for grabs at the end..I have participated in many leagues before but this was my first year with this particular league. The waiver system is very confusing at first and long story short I dropped Derrick Mason by accident instead of Drew Bennett on my waivers. Another guy in my league picked him up and after I had told the entire league it was an accident he gave me back Mason but I had to give up a 7th round draft pick next year.That was a small price to pay to keep Mason around this year.It might have been different if it was a money league but I agree with some of the other guys you don't want to cheapen your victory.Give him back but maybe get a draft pick or a lesser player from him,

Like other people have said. Grab him.Mainly because it isn't your job to stress these questions. Let the commish sort it out. This falls under his job description.

Users who are viewing this thread