What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2023 NFL Draft Class (1 Viewer)

Curious how high he’ll end up going in TE Premium drafts. He’s been an absolute beast at ND and I don’t expect that to change this season. I could see him sneaking into the top 10 but right now this draft class looks so stacked I’m not sure I can put him any higher. 
In a start 1qb ppr dynasty league I currently have him going around 1.08, whether that's TE premium or not.  If it's an absurd TE premium league, I could see him going as high as 1.06, but not higher.  I see it Bijan Robinson, Jaxson Smith-Njigba, Kayshon Boutte, Jahmer Gibbs, and Zach Evans as the top 5.  With a big year Sean Tucker could sneak into that group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picks for skill positions:

1. Texans- QB C.J. Stroud- Seems deserving of the pick and the Texans will be in range of this pick

2. Falcons- Edge Will Anderson (only mentioned due to passing on Young here)

3. Seahawks- QB Bryce Young- makes sense

4. Panthers- WR Jaxson Smith-Njigba (DJ More owners pour one out for him if this happens and puts him in jeopardy of not being 1.02)

6. Lions- QB Anthony Richardson- interesting fit. 

8. Bears- WR Kayshon Boutte- consideration for top 4 pick in rookie drafts

9. Giants- QB Cam Ward

14. Vikings- WR Jordan Addison- 

18. Titans- TE Michael Mayer- 

21. Colts- QB Will Levis- 

23. Ravens- QB Quentin Johnston- 

26. Dolphins- RB Bijan Robinson- Likely 1.01 in 23 rookie drafts. 

27. Chargers- WR Josh Downs

28. Packers- WR Marvin Mims

39. Jaguars- WR Jermaine Burton

43. Commanders- QB Tyler Van Dyke

46. Vikings- QB Jaren Hall

47. Raiders- Jahmyr Gibbs- likely a top 4 pick in rookie drafts

54. Bengals- TE Jahiem Bell

57. Seahawks- WR Parker Washington

62. Chiefs- TE Cameron Latu

Most of the lists look the same this early (and have for months now)

It’ll be interesting to see what new names creep into the discussion as the 2022 college season is underway.

There could be 3-4 QB taken in the 1st round. I do like the idea of Stroud to the Texans & Young to the Seahawks.

I just wonder if the Texans will be looking for a QB. They seem to like Mills. A few too-early mocks have Gibbs to the Texans (with the Texans playing themselves out of the top 3 picks) 

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Georgia senior RB Kenny McIntosh as the top senior running back in the 2023 NFL Draft class. 

Brugler ranks McIntosh (6'1/210) ahead of senior RB2 Zach Charbonnet of UCLA and RB3 Eric Gray of Oklahoma. Texas' backup RB Roschon Johnson and Kentucky star RB Chris Rodriguez Jr. round out the best 2023 senior backs. Bijan Robinson is considered the top overall draft eligible RB of course, with Ole Miss' Zach Evans and Texas A&M's Devon Achane as the next best non-seniors. McIntosh is expected to take over James Cook's passing down work this season and could even expand his role beyond what Cooks was asked to do if he's able to outplay Kendall Milton. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 19, 2022, 2:44 PM ET

We're doing our devy draft now. 2023-eligible only, with only a couple names already spoken for (Eric Gray, Spencer Rattler).

I don't watch much college football anymore, so this was my first deep dive into most of these names. My process was to build a list based on NCAA production and then sift through all the major candidates using YouTube clips. Then I would go back, check early 2023 positional rankings from outside sources, and watch anyone who I missed on first pass. The nice thing is that I built a lot of opinions BEFORE I checked any rankings, so I was able to weigh my own take against the consensus without being biased towards certain players based on reputation.

For the most part, I came away with conclusions that mirror the conventional thinking. At the WR position, I had Boutte and Smith-Njigba as starred names on my list, meaning I liked their clips on first pass. At RB, I had Tucker, Robinson, and Gibbs starred. I'll say more about Tucker shortly. My shotgun take on Robinson is that he's a more compact version of Kenyan Drake. Gibbs had a combination of power and north-south speed that popped right away. At TE, I agree with others that Mayer is very Gronk-like. I've seen better route runners at the position, but there's an element of power, height, and north-south burst to his game that reminds of Gronk.

I can go into more detail on some of these guys, but for now I'll just talk about my two picks:

RB Sean Tucker, Syracuse - One of the guys who popped for me on first glance. I didn't think I'd have a chance at him because I had the #11 pick, but he was still on the board when pick #8 came up and the owner on the clock made me an offer to get the pick outright. I jumped on it pretty quickly, as I really like this prospect. Tucker reminds me of a cross between DeAngelo Williams and Rashard Mendenhall. He has Mendenhall's compact frame and power, coupled with the crisp cuts and agility of Williams. Really a pure RB talent whose game seems like a safe projection for starter duties in the NFL. He can cut on a dime, is shifty in space, runs with good power, and yet also has a nice north-south burst to sprint away from people. No wasted movement or sloppiness in his cuts. His highlight tape is full of impressive reps. He's listed at 5-10 205, which is not the size you want in a featured runner, but I'm betting he will tip the scales closer to 5-9 220 when it's all said and done. He reminds me of many past successful NFL RBs, which is always a good sign. Without getting too deep into the hyperbole, he's probably one of the better RB prospects to come across my desk in the last few drafts.

WR Dontavyion Wicks, Virginia - Probably my most notable contrarian take is that Wicks should be a top 4-5 name on the WR board right now. The production is beyond reproach. 57 grabs for 1203 yards and 9 TDs last season. When I brought up the highlights, I saw a lot of positives. Not a monster frame, but good size. Probably 6-1 210 when he tips the scales in February. Loose route runner who can cut on a time. Very fluid stride. Good ball skills for the contested catch, but also has genuine RAC ability. The comparison I'm coming with is Brandon Aiyuk. I also see parallels with early JuJu Smith-Schuster. All of these players are right around that 6-1 210 area with 4.50 type of speed. RAC weapons with route ability and some downfield game. Takes on Wicks seem to be all over the map. Some people list him as a top 5-6 WR in this class, but many have him way off the radar. I think when all is said and done he's probably a high day two pick in the draft, let's say between 35-55. Not an ELITE prospect. I've seen better WRs of this style like Crabtree, Blackmon, Dez, and Demaryius. Wicks has a good all-around game though and can be a solid NFL starter.

I have some more thoughts on this class, including some other sleeper candidates, but I'll leave it there for now.

Copying over the rest of my .txt file from my devy research:

Lew Nichols III, CMU - OK size. Not great movement.
*Sean Tucker, Syracuse - Good frame. Deceptive speed. Cuts? Donald Brown. DeAngelo Williams.
*Bijan Robinson, Texas - Upright, but decent strength + quicks. More compact Kenyan Drake.
Deuce Vaughn, Kansas St. - Nice mobility. Smallish frame. 3rd down back.
Rasheen Ali, Marshall - Linear speed + strength. Not many moves?
DeWayne McBride, UAB - Checks out athletically, but no apparent elusiveness or moves. Purely a sprinter?
Blake Watson, ODU - Tevin Coleman type?
Chase Brown, Illinois - skinny/small
Keaton Mitchell, ECU - SHIFTY. Good speed. How big is he?
Sean Tyler, WMU - few clips available, did not wow
Pat Garwo III, BC - Some shiftiness. Heavy runner. David Cobb type. Chris Carson ceiling?
Marquez Cooper, Kent St - Shows some potential. Limited # of clips. 5'7" 184
Tavion Thomas, Utah - nope
Tank Bigsby, Auburn - fine, but not special
Evan Hull, NW - Ok feet and power. Not much second gear or flash.
Nate Noel, App St - small
*Blake Corum, Michigan - LOOSE runner. Smallish, but nice cuts. Myles Gaskin -- Miles Sanders.
Devon Achane, A&M - squatty, straight line
Johnny Ford, FAU - tiny
Brandon Thomas, Memphis - sloppy mover
Will Shipley, Clemson - meh
Jabari Small, Tennessee - meh. Low run strength. Some quicks, but doesn't really evade.
Tyjae Spears, Tulane - Might be draftable. Did not fully pop.
Alton McCaskill, Houston - nope
Frank Gore Jr., USM - nope
Kendre Miller, TCU - Fine. Did not pop.
*Jahmyr Gibbs, Ga Tech - NFL body. Vertical speed. Everything north-south?

***Dontayvion Wicks, UVA - Big body with some athleticism. Separation? RAC?
*Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State - Better Christian Kirk. Fluid chain mover. Modest height.
*Kayshon Boutte, LSU
Jordan Addison, Pitt - Fluid mover. Lean frame. Speed? Shades of a TY Hilton type. Taller.
Jacob Cowing, UTEP - Vertical. Smallish. Hollywood Brown type?
Josh Downs, UNC - Crisp slot guy. Eddie Royal type.
Jermaine Burton, UGA/Alabama - Short. Stocky. Bursty. Golden Tate type.
Parker Washington, Penn State - Choppy slot WR.
Rakim Jarrett, Maryland - meh
Nathaniel Dell, Houston - Meh.
*AT Perry, Wake - Tall. Fluid mover for height, but sharpness at the break point is ? Intriguing.
Tyrese Chambers, FIU - Bad Tavon Austin/John Ross.
*Dante Cephas, Kent - Vertical WR. Kind of a Maclin/Corey Davis type. Straight line? How fast is he?
*Ali Jennings III, ODU - Draftable prospect. Jack of all trades. Day 2-3 talent? Special qualities?
Makai Polk, Miss St. - meh
Grant Dubose, Charlotte - no "wow" factor
Quentin Johnston, TCU - Justin Hunter/Sidney Rice type. Long strides. Separation?
Isaiah Neyor, Wyoming - draftable, but no real wow factor
Puka Nacua, BYU - little slot type
Trayvon Rudolph, N Illinois - straight line burst, somewhat short
*Roderic Burns, North Texas - Super athlete. Small height. Jarvis Landry type?
Kyle Williams, UNLV - meh
Josh Kelly, Fresno

Michael Mayer, ND - BIG. Good athlete, but not an elite one. Some clumsiness, but does have RAC ability.
Ben Yurosek, Stanford - Mediocre.
Dalton Kincaid, Utah - FLUID. Good athlete, but not WOW athlete.
Jaheim Bell, Miss St. - Good athlete. RB-like. Smallish for a TE. Tweener?

A star (*) next to a player's name just means I liked their clips on first pass. Sometimes I like them more when I go back to watch more clips, and sometimes I like them less. It's not definitive, but just a starting point as I try to narrow down my list of targets. You may also notice some contradiction between question marks and listed strengths, as with Tucker and Wicks. That's just the first impression in the quick take notes yielding to more data in the expanded analysis. Often I can tell right away that a player is a yes or a no for me, but usually I will go in for a closer look after a player clears the first hurdle.

Last edited:
the battle for the third WR will be fun to watch all season and through the draft process.
i like another handful of WRs that all bring a little something different, just not sure I see another one that can win on all three levels (maybe Johnston, Burton or Jarrett). Load up on rookie 2nds because the depth at WR, RB and QB is going to be long

Mo Ibrahim opened the 2021 College season like gangbusters, rushing for 163 yards and 2 TDs before rupturing his Achilles in the season opener September 2, 2021, against Ohio State. He will enter the 2023 NFL Draft as a 24+ year old rookie, but if last night's return to the gridiron is any indication of how his final season in Minneapolis is to go, he needs to be on your radar. In part time duty for one half of football last night, Mo looked dynamic, to the tune of 132 yards and 2 TDs, extending his school-record streak of 100-plus yards to 10 straight games. Sure, it was against New Mexico State, and it is only one half of football, but he looked completely recovered from an injury that was once considered a death knell for RBs. Ibrahim appears primed for a big season.

Users who are viewing this thread