What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2023 NFL Draft Class (1 Viewer)

2023 NFL Mock Draft - Pro Football Network (1/15/22)

1) Houston Texans: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

2) New York Giants: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

3) Detroit Lions: Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina

4) Jacksonville Jaguars: Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama

5) Carolina Panthers: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

6) Chicago Bears: Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

7) Denver Broncos: Jake Haener, QB, Fresno State

😎 Atlanta Falcons: Phil Jurkovec, QB, Boston College

9) New York Jets: Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU

10) Seattle Seahawks: Malachi Moore, DB, Alabama

11) Minnesota Vikings: Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

12) Miami Dolphins: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

13) Washington Football Team: Eli Ricks, CB, Alabama

14) Baltimore Ravens: Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

15) Las Vegas Raiders: Marvin Mims, WR, Oklahoma

16) Pittsburgh Steelers: Myles Murphy, DT, Clemson

17) Philadelphia Eagles: Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

18) Indianapolis Colts: Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

19) Cleveland Browns: Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

20) New Orleans Saints: Jordan Addison, WR, Pittsburgh

21) Tennessee Titans: Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson

22) Dallas Cowboys: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

23) Cincinnati Bengals: Robert Scott Jr., OT, Florida State

24) Miami Dolphins (from San Francisco): Walker Parks, OT, Clemson

25) Detroit Lions (from Los Angeles Rams): Rakim Jarrett, WR, Maryland

26) Buffalo Bills: Noah Sewell, LB, Oregon

27) Arizona Cardinals: Clark Phillips III, CB, Utah

28) Los Angeles Chargers: Antonio Johnson, CB, Texas A&M

29) New England Patriots: Riley Moss, CB, Iowa

30) Green Bay Packers: Justin Flowe, LB, Oregon

31) Kansas City Chiefs: BeeJay Williamson, S, Louisiana Tech

32) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jaren Hall, QB, BYU

Not a complete list by any means but here are some of the 2023 NFL Draft prospects from the top-25 college football teams to keep an eye on next year:

Quarterbacks

Bryce Young, Alabama 
C.J. Stroud, Ohio State

Spencer Sanders, Oklahoma State

Sam Hartman, Wake Forest 
Jaren Hall, BYU

Will Levis, Kentucky 

Spencer Rattler, South Carolina 

Running backs 

Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama 

Devon Achane, Texas A&M

Wide Receivers

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State

Jayden Reed, Michigan State

Marvin Mims, Oklahoma 

Tight Ends 

Michael Mayer, Notre Dame

Josh Whyle, Cincinnati 

PFF credits Notre Dame sophomore TE Michael Mayer with 24 receptions of 15+ yards last season, second most among all tight ends.

Mayer (6'4/249) has taken a backseat to Brock Bowers as the trendy young freak tight end, but let's not forget about just how explosive the Notre Dame receiver is in the passing game. He caught 71-of-95 targets for a 75 percent catch rate, 840 yards, 11.8 YPC and seven touchdowns last year with an 82.0 receiving grade from PFF. Mayer was inline just 37 percent of the time, which freed him up to secure 13-of-23 contested catch opportunities with just a 4 percent drop rate. Mayer projects to be the obvious number one tight end in the 2023 NFL Draft class. 

SOURCE: PFF.com

Feb 22, 2022, 2:49 PM ET

Notre Dame sophomore TE Michael Mayer has the most receiving yards per game than any returning TE in 2022.

Some of the best FBS tight ends in College Football in 2021 declared for the draft this year including Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson and Isaiah Likely. Although Georgia’s Brock Bowers will come in as one of the more notable players at the position, Mayer (6'4"/249) could be the one who’s on top after the 2022 season. He already has the size of an elite pass-catching tight end along with that athleticism to break off initial contact and extends plays. With former Notre Dame quarterback Jack Coan declaring for the draft, whoever fills that spot next year should look at Mayer as a security blanket to move the ball.

SOURCE: Oliver Hodgkinson

Mar 19, 2022, 8:00 PM ET

For those who follow the college game closely, I'm wondering if you would care to identify the guys that look like locked and loaded 1st rounder rookie picks in '23, along with those that will be in the mix.   I have prioritized trying to get my hands on '23 1sts based on the early buzz.   I currently have two (likely back half), but it has come at the expense of my late projected 2nd.    I'm thinking there's a fair chance that the 2023 draft is deep enough to make for a lot of premium 2nd round rookie selections (even in 1QB).   Since it's definitely going to be easier to pry 2nds away from leaguemates, I'm wondering if this might be the play when it comes to selling veteran assets that aren't essential to the cause this summer.   Obviously, March 2022 is way too early to say anything definitive about how this will pan out.   Just trying to get ahead of it by following threads like these.  I get the sense that these are the guys in the picture for 1st round rookie picks:

RB  Bijan Robinson, Gibbs, Tucker, Evans, Vaughn -- watching Bigsby, Bowman, Milton, Achane, Corum, Charbonnet

WR  Smith-Njigba, Boutte (pending injury), Addison -- watching Downs, Mario Williams, Worthy, Mims, Reed, Demus Jr.

TE  Mayer(?) -- watching Bowers, Gilbert, Bell, Whyle

QB  probably not a 1st in 1QB, but possibly Stroud or Young

Guys that you would move up or on to this list that have all the makings of top 12 picks in 1QB rookie drafts?   Anyone that you would move out?

@sushinsky4tsar

This is very preliminary of course but here is what I am seeing for possible top 20 picks in 1 QB leagues:

RB: Bijan Robinson, Jahmyr Gibbs, Tank Bigsby, Zach Evans, Sean Tucker, Devon Achane, Zach Charbonnet, Mohamed Ibrahim, Deuce Vaughn

WR: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Kayshon Boutte, Jordan Addison, Quentin Johnston, Marvin Mims, Josh Downs, Rakim Jarrett, Parker Washington, Zay Flowers, Dontay Demus Jr.

TE: Michael Mayer, Jahleel Billingsley, Josh Whyle, Sam LaPorta, Arik Gilbert

QB: Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, Phil Jurkovec, Will Levis 

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Miller@nfldraftscout
Ohio State spring day today is one heck of a preview for the 2023 NFL draft. CJ Stroud. Jaxson Smith-Njigba. Paris Johnson. And of course others.

-----------------------------------------

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

As I was saying…

>>> LINK to video

PFF's Anthony Treash believes that Florida redshirt sophomore QB Anthony Richardson has all the tools to be a day one selection in the NFL Draft.

With this year's NFL draft just seven days away, there is already discussion about the upcoming 2023 draft class. The quarterback class projects to be one of the best ones in a long time and Richardson (6'4/236) is a very intriguing player. His tools are immaculate with a cannon arm and a dynamic running ability. Treash does also note that he needs to clean up a lot before he earns the official day one prospect status, but the blueprint is there.

SOURCE: PFF Draft

Apr 21, 2022, 9:09 PM ET

Why Florida QB Anthony Richardson has what it takes to be the No. 1 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft

I've read plenty about how the 2023 draft class is going to be much better than the 2022 class - as someone who doesn't follow college in any great depth, can someone build on why and how? Are there a bunch of can't miss prospects? Is the number of players that people see as having fantasy relevance especially deep? Is it somewhere in between?

I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of distribution of where the strength is - let's say that there is a theoretical combined 22/23 rookie draft in 13 month's time once we know everyone's destination, but obviously we don't have knowledge of the 22 rookie pro season results. In the first round, we take Hall and how many others from 22? In the second/third?

I've read plenty about how the 2023 draft class is going to be much better than the 2022 class - as someone who doesn't follow college in any great depth, can someone build on why and how? Are there a bunch of can't miss prospects? Is the number of players that people see as having fantasy relevance especially deep? Is it somewhere in between?

I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of distribution of where the strength is - let's say that there is a theoretical combined 22/23 rookie draft in 13 month's time once we know everyone's destination, but obviously we don't have knowledge of the 22 rookie pro season results. In the first round, we take Hall and how many others from 22? In the second/third?
The 2023 Draft is strong at the RB position, with players like Bijan Robinson, Jahmyr Gibbs, Zachary Evans, Sean Tucker, Zach Charbonnet, and Tank Bigsby, top potential at QB with Bryce Young and CJ Stroud, and an exciting first-round prospect at TE in Notre Dame's Michael Mayer.  The WR class really hasn't really exhibited great depth yet, but Kayshon Boutte and Jaxon Smith-Njigba may be elite prospects.

EDIT TO ADD:  A year can change things in a big way, but in terms of depth, the 2023 class has a chance to be special.  If I were drafting a combined 2022/2023 class today, Hall, Walker, Wilson, London, Jameson and Burks would still probably be in the first round (non Superflex), but the RB strength of the 2023 class would push several the 2022 receivers down lower in the first round.

For fun:

1.01    Bijan Robinson RB/Texas (2023)
1.02    Breece Hall RB/Iowa State (2022)
1.03    Jahmyr Gibbs RB/Alabama (2023)
1.04    Kenneth Walker III RB/Michigan State (2022)
1.05    Kayshon Boutte WR/LSU (2023)
1.06    Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR/Ohio State (2023)
1.07    Zachary Evans RB/Ole Miss (2023)
1.08    Sean Tucker RB/Syracuse (2023)
1.09    Drake London WR/USC (2022)
1.10    Garrett Wilson WR/Ohio State (2022)
1.11    Jameson Williams WR/Alabama (2022)
1.12    Treylon Burks WR/Arkansas (2022)

https://www.sportsgamblingpodcast.com/2021/11/08/top-25-devy-fantasy-rookie-rankings-fantasy-football-rookies-classes-of-2023-and-2024/

I'm by no means an expert in this stuff but having had the same questions you have, these are the answers that seem to be "consensus" ish.

I think Breece Hall is considered competitive with 2-3 of the other top RBs in the 23 class but I'm guessing Bijan Robinson is a tier above. I watched a few of the highlights on the youtubes and it's eye popping stuff. He's a total freak. Jamyr Gibbs is really, really good. They both just explode upfield. Not sure about where Hall vs Sean Tucker, Tank Bigsby etc. I've done no work on those guys. Kenneth Walker is also a pretty darned good RB and if he gets a non-Chubb level of work in the passing game could be a top 10 fantasy back.

At WR, I believe Boutte and Smith-Njigba would be consensus above anyone in the 22 class. I don't know anything about Marvin Mims but he's mentioned in this article before JSN who I had assumed was in the same tier as Boutte. I have zero info on how the next few WRs in the 23 class stack up against the Wilson/Burks/London tier but there may be a couple more in the 23 class that have fewer issues than those guys. Or at least drawing even with them. 

The other reason though that folks are pumped about the 23 class is that the Notre Dame TE Mayer is considered to be a very good (not Pitts level good) but would be the top TE in this class. EDIT just watched the highlight in the article. I've been watching Gronk for years, this guy moves just like Gronk. 

AND the QB class is not a bunch of guys that profile as Jeff Garcia/ Andy Dalton level prospects. There's a handful of QBs that seem like they're on more of a 21 class trajectory. Deserving of early to mid first capital. 

I'm kind of in the same boat as far as just trying to stay proactive and ahead of the curve.   So really, just an attempt to parrot analysts that I trust.   I don't know that there are a lot of definitive statements that can be made about the 2023 rookie draft at this point, as far as what part of the 1st is going to be the sweet spot to target.  But yes, the general sentiment seems to be that it's far superior to the 2022 crop.   Particularly as it pertains to RB and QB, if you're in a superflex (or just need higher end potential in a 1QB than Kenny Pickett).    

So for starters, two of the most important positions in fantasy (if playing SF/2QB) that appear to offer superior high-end potential and overall depth when compared to 2022.   Can we definitely say that Bijan Robinson will be a vastly superior 1.1  to Breece Hall this time next year in a 1QB?   I like his chances, but a lot can happen in a year.   Can we say Stroud and Bryce Young will certainly be more valuable fantasy assets in 2025 compared to Malik Willis and Pickett/Ridder/Corral?   That seems to be the smart money, but nothing is guaranteed.   The thing about 2023 is that even if the top players don't completely blow away the top picks of 2022 (which there's potential for), then there's another half-dozen(ish) RBs behind Bijan that probably have a shot.   Most probably won't get to Hall levels, but those that fall short could very well surpass Kenneth Walker or Spiller.   There's probably another half-dozen after that that are capable of getting to that level and should at least hold more promise than the 2022 tier that comes in after the top 3/Spiller.   The same can be said for the volume of QBs capable of pulling ahead of the top 2022 prospects.

I don't think there's any Kyle Pitts levels of excitement for the top of the 2023 TE class, but that's a high bar and things can change.   At minimum, there seems to be a fair chance that 2 or 3 (or more) will come in ahead of Trey McBride.

From what I can gather, WR seems to be the weakness of the prospective 2023 draft class.  2022 is probably the early favorite to beat 2023 on sheer depth, but I don't think that's written in stone.   Even so, I think I would take the rights to Smith-Njigba over any 2022 WR.   Boutte (foot injury pending) and Addison probably also have a shot at beating the top of the 2022 class.   Beyond that, there are plenty of names that at least have a shot of catapulting into the 1st round rookie conversation for 2023.   One thing that can be said for the top of 2022, is that I'm not sure how often you're going to find QBs of the Mahomes/Rodgers caliber looking for a brand new WR1.  

Action plan, I don't know how valuable early-mid 1sts will be in 2023 compared to 2022.   I feel great about 2023 2nds and 3rds blowing away the 2022 offering.   Since those are much more attainable, that's what I'm targeting (but obviously 2023 1sts are gold if you have leaguemates that aren't on top of it).  With all that said, I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about 2024 as well.   But yeah, punting on 2022 seems to be very fashionable right now.  **or at least by early 2nd in 1QB and mid-2nd in SF

Florida redshirt sophomore QB Anthony Richardson has received a boost in his 2022 Heisman odds following the team's spring game.

According to Sports Illustrated's Zach Gooddall, Richardson (6'4/236) entered last Thursday's spring game with 50/1 odds to win the 2022 Heisman Trophy on BetOnline.ag. In the team's spring game, Richardson completed 18-of-24 passes for 207 yards and two touchdowns while also rushing for 22 yards and a score. Since then, his Heisman odds have jumped to 22/1, ranking seventh amongst players in the field. As a part-time player in 2021, Richardson completed 59.4% of his passes for 529 yards, six touchdowns and five interceptions, and rushed for 501 yards and three touchdowns. Now locked into a role as Florida's full-time starter, Richardson has a chance to blow away the competition in year one under new head coach Billy Napier.

SOURCE: The News & Observer

Apr 22, 2022, 3:20 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread