What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2023 NFL Draft Class (1 Viewer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT39h72T-Hc

36-selection head-to-head superflex mock draft with commentary. I discovered Ray Garvin last year when someone here posted one of his '22 draft shows. He hasn't surpassed Waldman on my college scouting analyst power rankings. He is, however, very dedicated to college scouting and it's a constant focus of his podcasts. I definitely file away anything he has to say as an opinion worth noting. He's not immune to big misses. When you do a half-dozen different versions of a mock draft before the actual NFL draft, it's natural that there are going to be some hot takes that get tried on for size.

One of the hot takes in this podcast was definitely calling out Zach Evans as JAG, citing a number of NFL draft insiders that have him as the 10th best RB or lower. I'm not sure that I will be bumping him that low on my draft board, but it's definitely a challenge to the status quo that has penciled him in as one of the top RB options in the tier after Robinson and Gibbs seemingly forever.

You will also quickly find out that he's a big fan of Anthony Richardson. I can see prioritizing him as a QB target in a 1QB league, going after the QB cheat code. Making him your top guy in a superflex is definitely a contrarian take.

Charlie Jones with the Cooper Kupp comparison...he did impress me the couple of times I saw him, and I filed it away as someone to keep an eye on...anyone got some info/thoughts on him? He was at Buffalo for a year...did very little at Iowa the next two years than went blew up for 110-1361-12 at Purdue...interesting path he has taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT39h72T-Hc

36-selection head-to-head superflex mock draft with commentary. I discovered Ray Garvin last year when someone here posted one of his '22 draft shows. He hasn't surpassed Waldman on my college scouting analyst power rankings. He is, however, very dedicated to college scouting and it's a constant focus of his podcasts. I definitely file away anything he has to say as an opinion worth noting. He's not immune to big misses. When you do a half-dozen different versions of a mock draft before the actual NFL draft, it's natural that there are going to be some hot takes that get tried on for size.

One of the hot takes in this podcast was definitely calling out Zach Evans as JAG, citing a number of NFL draft insiders that have him as the 10th best RB or lower. I'm not sure that I will be bumping him that low on my draft board, but it's definitely a challenge to the status quo that has penciled him in as one of the top RB options in the tier after Robinson and Gibbs seemingly forever.

You will also quickly find out that he's a big fan of Anthony Richardson. I can see prioritizing him as a QB target in a 1QB league, going after the QB cheat code. Making him your top guy in a superflex is definitely a contrarian take.

Yeah I follow him and all the other videos and podcasts associated with his channel. Lots of good podcasts recently, I really like Scott Conner that does stuff for them. RE Richardson that’s where I’ve landed with him - will try to take in back half of 2nd round in my 1QB league. Great if you end up with a Hurts/Fields type but haven’t blasted a high pick. His switch to Richardson as his first choice QB ( if top 10 draft capital ) is a recent one

Question, is it unusual for players for players to wait until the last day to indicate whether or not they are declaring for the draft?

Just wondering if the fact that C.J. Stroud, Quentin Johnston, and Jordan Addison haven't declared yet is a sign they are returning to college.

Question, is it unusual for players for players to wait until the last day to indicate whether or not they are declaring for the draft?

Just wondering if the fact that C.J. Stroud, Quentin Johnston, and Jordan Addison haven't declared yet is a sign they are returning to college.
I don’t know the trend, but if all 3 stay in school it would put a dent in the 2023 draft, both NFL and fantasy. I already thought it was thin at WR.

Last edited:

I am 100% guessing but I would think NIL $ could make these decisions a little more difficult if the player really would like to come back.

I don’t know the trend, but if all 3 stay in school it would put a dent in the 2023 draft, both NFL and fantasy. I already thought it was thin at WR.
Yeah, what is the hype about this being a historic class? Is it really deep at RB?

I am 100% guessing but I would think NIL $ could make these decisions a little more difficult if the player really would like to come back.
Big difference between 3-5 million and 25 million for Stroud. Also, postponing that 2nd contract for another year is a big deal given that's where the big money is.

Big difference between 3-5 million and 25 million for Stroud. Also, postponing that 2nd contract for another year is a big deal given that's where the big money is.
Yeah I would assume he wants to return and the NIL combined with some insurance are potentially making that decision easier to live with.

I don't disagree at all...the issue when we look at this decision from an outsider point of view is $ is always the only issue...there is a possibility the player really wants to stay in college and if 3-5 million is now guaranteed that is 100% different than it used to be.

Yeah, what is the hype about this being a historic class? Is it really deep at RB?
I do think it is deep on paper at RB.
What are your thoughts on top of the WR class? Do you have a clear top guy?
JSN is my clear #1 WR in this class. Some feel Addison isn't a true #1 and Johnson may have passed him. He's not without his own warts however, that being separation issues. I kind of like Rashee Rice in the early 2nd round of dynasty drafts (1qb). Boutte is a wildcard and will probably go early to mid 2nd round of most dynast drafts (1qb). Flowers is someone to watch as well. Overall I don't see this class as being that sexy, but does have some depth.

JSN is my clear #1 WR in this class. Some feel Addison isn't a true #1 and Johnson may have passed him. He's not without his own warts however, that being separation issues. I kind of like Rashee Rice in the early 2nd round of dynasty drafts (1qb). Boutte is a wildcard and will probably go early to mid 2nd round of most dynast drafts (1qb). Flowers is someone to watch as well. Overall I don't see this class as being that sexy, but does have some depth.
Yeah that is my though at the top. JSN is my top guy, what he did last year with Wilson and Olave there was really impressive. Not sure who the best comp for him is or where he would rank based on the WRs that came out last year. Is JSN worth the 2nd or 3rd pick in rookie drafts?

Yeah that is my though at the top. JSN is my top guy, what he did last year with Wilson and Olave there was really impressive. Not sure who the best comp for him is or where he would rank based on the WRs that came out last year. Is JSN worth the 2nd or 3rd pick in rookie drafts?
Stefon Diggs comp

I would rather have the 2nd and 3rd pick over JSN and take Gibbs and Young in SF or Gibbs and Tucker in start 1qb leagues. I'm a Tucker fan and like him more than Addison and Johnston.

I can't imagine a scenario where Quentin doesn't declare. He's a sure fire 1st round pick and Duggan won't be back at QB next year which creates a big risk for his potential performance in 2023 if he stays at TCU.

I can't imagine a scenario where Quentin doesn't declare. He's a sure fire 1st round pick and Duggan won't be back at QB next year which creates a big risk for his potential performance in 2023 if he stays at TCU.
Agreed…plus that was a dream season…outside of actually winning the title there is nothing more to accomplish.

Big, big boon for the draft class today with Stroud and Addison declaring. I have them at the QB2 and WR2 in the class at the moment.
Big question about Addison being the WR2. Some favor Johnston and say Addison isn't a WR1 type. I personally would take Sean Tucker over both Addison and Johnston in a dynasty draft. I think it's a foregone conclusion that Gibbs will go over both.

Big, big boon for the draft class today with Stroud and Addison declaring. I have them at the QB2 and WR2 in the class at the moment.
Big question about Addison being the WR2. Some favor Johnston and say Addison isn't a WR1 type. I personally would take Sean Tucker over both Addison and Johnston in a dynasty draft. I think it's a foregone conclusion that Gibbs will go over both.
No questions for me. His profile is about as rock-solid as you’ll find imo.

Broke out in the ACC at 18 years old. Won the Biletnikoff at 19. Numbers dipped a bit at USC this season but he dealt with injuries and even missed some games.

Great route runner with smooth hands and can play all over the field. Good separator, as well.

The only real knock I can see people bringing up about Addison is his size. But we see WR’s at his size be dominate in the NFL with much more frequency than we used to.

I have him comfortably ahead of Johnston.

Broke out in the ACC at 18 years old. Won the Biletnikoff at 19. Numbers dipped a bit at USC this season but he dealt with injuries and even missed some games.

Great route runner with smooth hands and can play all over the field. Good separator, as well.

The only real knock I can see people bringing up about Addison is his size. But we see WR’s at his size be dominate in the NFL with much more frequency than we used to.

While I wouldn't fault you at having Addison above Johnston, I would take Tucker over both of them.

While I wouldn't fault you at having Addison above Johnston, I would take Tucker over both of them.
I like Tucker. But I want to see if the NFL likes Tucker.

I know Addison is going 1st round. We hope Tucker goes 2nd, but that’s far from a guarantee. 3rd round to a good spot would still be fine, but if he falls to the 4th or later I’m out unless we’re talking late 1st/early 2nd of rookie drafts.

I like Tucker. But I want to see if the NFL likes Tucker.

I know Addison is going 1st round. We hope Tucker goes 2nd, but that’s far from a guarantee. 3rd round to a good spot would still be fine, but if he falls to the 4th or later I’m out unless we’re talking late 1st/early 2nd of rookie drafts.
I agree. If the NFL doesn't like him and he falls to day 3, then yes, that drops him significantly.

Kendre Miller declared today too. Interesting RB who looked pretty comparable to Evans when they were both on TCU in 2021.

RB depth looks really good in this class. I'm not sure the rookie round 2 guys are going to be a significant drop from the RBs available after pick 3 in 1qb.

Lance Zierlein thinks that Chris Ballard won’t be interested in Bryce Young:

Insider Gives Thoughts On Which QB the Colts Probably Won't Draft

Excerpt:

“What’s crazy is the guy (Ballard) who is one of my mentors in scouting, who hates small players, would move up for the guy who would be the smallest quarterback in the league in almost three decades,” Zierlein said.

This is a very reliable source who is about as close as you can be to Ballard, who says it's unlikely that he would like the idea of Young at quarterback for the Colts.

Ballard has brought up that smaller players aren’t his forte, and it’s easy to see the discrepancy in Young at 6’0” and only 194 pounds, who may measure even smaller at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. Whereas C.J. Stroud and Will Levis are both 6’3” and north of 215 pounds (Stroud 218 and Levis 232).

Zierlein also mentioned near the end that it will depend on how much or little Colts owner Jim Irsay gets involved and makes the decisions.

At the end of the day, will Young’s stature truly matter that much to Ballard? It’s without question that Young has the skillset and talent to play at the NFL level, but it’s been starting to swirl that the Colts may be in the Stroud/Levis sweepstakes.

Users who are viewing this thread