What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Michael Gallup Puns Galore (4 Viewers)

Wilson seems to have filled in pretty well so far and he became just another mouth to feed after Gallup returns. What would you Cowboys pundits gauge Gallup's upside and floor will be once he's back to 100%? Third or fourth option depending on game flow and game script, TD dependent for fantasy points, so roughly a safe WR3 with low end WR2 upside? Lower scale?

Wilson seems to have filled in pretty well so far and he became just another mouth to feed after Gallup returns. What would you Cowboys pundits gauge Gallup's upside and floor will be once he's back to 100%? Third or fourth option depending on game flow and game script, TD dependent for fantasy points, so roughly a safe WR3 with low end WR2 upside? Lower scale?
Wilson has scored a TD the last few weeks, but overall modest numbers. IMO Gallup will slide back into his spot once he gets back, although due to the improved defense and very effective running game, Dak is not being forced to chuck it nearly as much as he did last year pre-injury. 

Cowboys designated Micahel Gallup (calf) to return from injured reserve.

Gallup is now able to return to practice and Dallas has 21 days to activate him from injured reserve. Pro Football Focus's Doug Kyed Noted that his timetable remains uncertain and he could still be a week out from returning. Gallup injured his calf in Week 1 and was placed on injured a few days after the opener. His initial timetable was set at 3-5 weeks but he's already been out for six weeks. In his absence, Dalton Schultz has emerged as the third part of a receiving trio in Dallas. Schultz is averaging 63 receiving yards per game since Gallup landed on IR. His role could take a hit once Gallup returns but TE1 numbers remain in his range of outcomes based on how well he has played this year.

SOURCE: Doug Kyed on Twitter

Oct 25, 2021, 3:43 PM ET

The arrow seemed to be pointing up much more for Gallup at the beginning of the season than now. With Schultz's emergence, Wilson playing well, and a greater commitment to the running game in lockstep with a much better defense, the opportunities may be limited for Gallup the rest of the way. 

From a dynasty perspective though, he could very well get paid handsomely to be the #1 or #2 guy for another team next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen many mention that Cooper cold be gone next year for cap reasons.  Gallup could emerge as the #2 in Dallas.

Seen many mention that Cooper cold be gone next year for cap reasons.  Gallup could emerge as the #2 in Dallas.
Gallup also a UFA after this season - but I'm holding all year in a keeper league for this reason.  Certainly there would be cap savings for Dallas if they went in his direction rather than Cooper.

Cooper is special. Gallups ceiling is below Cooper and Lamb. He's a deep threat who lets the ball come to him rather than going up to get it. 

I like him a lot but doubt hes in over Cooper 

Cooper is special. Gallups ceiling is below Cooper and Lamb. He's a deep threat who lets the ball come to him rather than going up to get it. 

I like him a lot but doubt hes in over Cooper 
Not questioning who is better, obviously Cooper.  Just thinking the cap might make the decision

The Athletic's Jon Machota says the Cowboys are hopeful Michael Gallup (calf) plays this week. 

Gallup returned to practice last week, but the Cowboys are reportedly "taking it slow" with their No. 3 receiver. Gallup caught four passes for 36 yards in his only game action this season. He would be a risky WR3 if he returns this week against the Broncos.

SOURCE: Jon Machota on Twitter

Nov 3, 2021, 11:54 AM ET

The Athletic's Jon Machota says the Cowboys are hopeful Michael Gallup (calf) plays this week. 

Gallup returned to practice last week, but the Cowboys are reportedly "taking it slow" with their No. 3 receiver. Gallup caught four passes for 36 yards in his only game action this season. He would be a risky WR3 if he returns this week against the Broncos.

SOURCE: Jon Machota on Twitter

Nov 3, 2021, 11:54 AM ET

Cowboys activated WR Michael Gallup from injured reserve.

Sunday against the Falcons will be Gallup's first game since he strained his calf against the Bucs in Week 1. Dallas (ineffectively) ran a season-high rate of 11 personnel against the Broncos sans Blake Jarwin (IR), which Gallup will bring an edge to moving forward in place of Cedrick Wilson. Gallup is automatically a WR4/5 for re-draft leagues in Week 10.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Nov 13, 2021, 3:27 PM ET

How high will Gallup get bumped up now that Cooper has Covid protocol. Close contact? Is Gallup a safe upside pick up now. I'd say. How high a WR 2 status?

Team Smokin' said:
How high will Gallup get bumped up now that Cooper has Covid protocol. Close contact? Is Gallup a safe upside pick up now. I'd say. How high a WR 2 status?
I'd have him in the WR 20-25 range. Cedrick Wilson is likely highly involved, and its possible Schultz picks up a lot of slack as well. 

Great chance to get a 2 game preview of what life might look like next year if Dallas decides to retain Gallup and let Amari go. Good preview for us and Dallas which to me means these next two games could be huge for Gallup's chances of being the WR that stays, if it turns out that one has to go.

Gallup is a great pickup for 2 weeks, but just don't get comfortable with anything after that.  If you are in shallow redraft leagues and he is available, he is a great pickup right now, and sell him after this week or next.  Problem in my league is the trade deadline is today, and I cannot see me starting him in the next 2 weeks.

Gallup is a great pickup for 2 weeks, but just don't get comfortable with anything after that.  If you are in shallow redraft leagues and he is available, he is a great pickup right now, and sell him after this week or next.  Problem in my league is the trade deadline is today, and I cannot see me starting him in the next 2 weeks.
Maybe…. Maybe not. I have Gallup all over the place but I’m worried that moving into the “cooper” role may actually rob him of his “over the middle” value. He seems like a steady 6 for 70 style wr with cooper in there. Now with cooper out he becomes more boom bust. I hope to see the boom these next two weeks but he’s a different cat than cooper is so perhaps all the cooper targets just go to lamb and then Ced and Shultz take all the over the middle stuff 

My receiving corp is decimated with injuries so Gallup is my #1 right now.  Ugh.  Hoping for 12 points in ppr

Cooper supposedly on a snap count tonight - can we trust Gallup?  
My WRs are hurting a bit too with byes and injuries.  Playing him over Christian Kirk at flex.   Hope that having Lamb and a hobbled Cooper back will take some of the heat (i.e. Lattimore) off Gallup.  

Michael Gallup caught 5-of-9 targets for 36 yards and a touchdown in Week 14 against the Saints.

Gallup won a jump ball on an end-zone fade for his touchdown. It was one of the highlights of a sluggish game where Dak Prescott threw for just 238 yards. Gallup has benefitted from Amari Cooper and CeeDee Lamb missing time and being limited the last two weeks, posting a 10/142/1 line on 17 targets. That should change next week, with Cooper likely returning to a full-time role. Gallup will be a matchup-based WR3 against a struggling Washington's secondary in Week 14.

Dec 3, 2021, 12:50 AM ET

Looks like a torn ACL for Gallup after another great TD grab ☹️

As with Godwin, could cost Gallup millions entering free agency. Feel really bad for the guy. 

i’m building my dynasty team for 2023, so this might give me a good sell-high on Ced Wilson in the offseason. Especially if Cooper is gone. 💡

wonder what Wilson would fetch as the Cowboys WR2 opposite Lamb? 2022 3rd? Better? Worse? 

hate to be a vulture, but dynasty is a cruel mistress. 🤔 

Hate it for the guy.  Hate it for my dynasty teams.  Got him cheaply in 2 leagues, was counting on him having a bigger chance next year.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Michael Gallup "suffered a clean ACL tear" and will "make a full recovery."

Gallup suffered the injury on a first-half touchdown catch in Week 17. He was helped to the locker room and immediately ruled out. Further testing only revealed the torn ACL, so Gallup should not have to deal with any long-term complications from the injury. Still, it's an awful development for Gallup, who had already dealt with injuries earlier in the year and is an impending free agent. Given how late into the season the injury occurred, it's likely that he opens the 2022 season on the PUP list. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 3, 2022, 1:47 PM ET

ACL tears aren’t the grim reaper they used to be, and I’ve always thought that Gallup is a talented receiver that would slide up to WR2 in Dallas, or go and have a chance at being the main man/strong WR2 somewhere else. Maybe a buy low opportunity in dynasty if someone can’t be bothered waiting the 1-2 years it may take for him to fully get back in position to excel. 

I wanted the Eagles to sign him to pair with Devonta.  They still could, of course, but I wouldnt be shocked to see him have to sign a one year deal now.

Sports Illustrated's Mike Fisher reports the Cowboys are expected to prioritize re-signing WR Michael Gallup this offseason.

With Amari Cooper owed a fully guaranteed $20 million salary and CeeDee Lamb a year away from being extension eligible, Dallas would need to mortgage cap space to keep Gallup. The Cowboys hope Gallup, who had surgery earlier this month and is targeting an August return, is open to a team friendly deal, with the 25-year-old potentially staying in Dallas on a one-year contract. Gallup's August timetable would be a best case scenario at six months removed from surgery. It's likely Gallup misses the start of training camp and he'll need a setback-free rehab to avoid opening the regular season on reserve/PUP.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Feb 19, 2022, 12:23 PM ET

I imagine they’ll get him cheap. They can cut Cooper after June 1 and save 21 million. Or just restructure (convert his salary to a signing bonus and stretch it out).
Before the ACL tear the popular Dallas beat opinion was that they were both gone because this is finally the year they can cut AC with minimal cap hit, and because they figured they’d keep Ced Wilson on the cheap.

Maybw you’re right that the ACL tear cratered Gallup’s payday, so now they’ll keep him instead. 

It’ll be interesting to see what they do in the draft. A few recent mocks have them taking Garrett Wilson. 

Would love to see him in a Miami Dolphins uniform but understand why many would not root for that because of Tua's shown abilities in Years 1 and 2 but there is new Head Coach, things might get better on Offense. 

The Dallas Morning News reports the "belief" is that impending free agent Michael Gallup would like to re-sign with the Cowboys. 

There have been reports that the feeling is mutual, and that the Cowboys are preparing to move on from Amari Cooper. That, coupled with a rosy recovery timeline for Gallup's return from a torn ACL have greatly enhanced the odds that he will be back with Big D in 2022. With a decision due on Cooper's contract soon, Gallup's fate should be known by the early moments of the "legal tampering period" in two weeks. 

SOURCE: Dallas Morning News 

Mar 3, 2022, 10:15 PM ET

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Cowboys are "buttoning up a long term deal" with Michael Gallup. 

Robinson, citing a source, said the Cowboys "felt it was an either/or" situation with Gallup and Amari Cooper, "and are making Gallup the priority." ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Friday that the team is likely to release Cooper before March 20 after three seasons in Dallas. Gallup is working his way back from a January ACL tear that could put his Week 1 status in question. Gallup, entering his fifth NFL season and turning 27 in March, has been a solid producer when given the opportunity. He was the WR18 in PPR points per game in 2019, operating as the Cowboys' No. 2 wideout. 

RELATED: 

Amari Cooper

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter 

Mar 4, 2022, 11:36 AM ET

Cowboys re-signed WR Michael Gallup to a five-year, $62.5 million contract. 

Gallup is getting a lengthy deal coming off a Week 17 ACL tear, so there's likely some protections built in for the Cowboys. The Dallas Morning News' Michael Gehlken reports that the contract has $27 million in guarantees. This is a big contract for a wideout who hasn't cracked 1,000 yards since 2019 and who hasn't been wildly efficient. Gallup figures to be the Dallas WR2 behind Ceedee Lamb now that Amari Cooper is traded, and should be the third option in the passing offense behind Lamb and Dalton Schultz. Gallup reportedly suffered a "clean ACL tear" in January, but he's still a candidate for the PUP list early in camp. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 13, 2022, 7:07 PM ET

Huge chunk of change considering he just had ACL surgery. Clearly the team thinks he’ll return to form sooner rather than later, which I guess is par for the course given that ACLs aren’t nearly as damaging as they used to be.

Huge chunk of change considering he just had ACL surgery. Clearly the team thinks he’ll return to form sooner rather than later, which I guess is par for the course given that ACLs aren’t nearly as damaging as they used to be.
I feel the same.  And remember, he was out for 2+ months with a game 1 calf strain.  Shocking contract. 

I feel the same.  And remember, he was out for 2+ months with a game 1 calf strain.  Shocking contract. 
Agreed - they had to be bidding against themselves. I guess we can say what we want about Jerry, but have to give him credit for taking care of his injured guys when he likes/wants them - same with Dak a few years ago.

Gallup is set to take the reigns as the #2 in Dallas, but I have no idea why they were racing to sign him to a contract nobody else was offering.

Gallup is set to take the reigns as the #2 in Dallas, but I have no idea why they were racing to sign him to a contract nobody else was offering.
They just saw what the always injured Mike Williams got paid and didn’t want a bidding war. 

Users who are viewing this thread