What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Michael Gallup Puns Galore (3 Viewers)

I think we need to see the terms of the contract before declaring it an overpay.  Only $27 million guaranteed isn't bad at all, especially if there's a reasonable out after year 2 or 3.

I like Gallup but that's a lot of scratch for an injured guy who only has one 1K yard season to his name.

But then I see Christian Kirk signing for stupid money and am like  :shock:

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Michael Gallup (ACL) will be a "question mark" for Week 1. 

“Optimistically, I expect him to give us a question mark around the first game," Jones aid at the NFL owners meetings. "And I see a conversation that says conservatively, you would like to have a couple more games to get him out there.”

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter 

Mar 28, 2022, 11:16 AM ET

Cowboys beat reporter Michael Gehlken said Michael Gallup was running routes to close out Thursday's practice against the Chargers.​

Gehlken notes that Gallup's route running session on Thursday was the receiver's first since he tore his ACL back on January 2nd. Currently on the team's PUP list, it's unlikely he will make his way back in time for Week 1, but this is an encouraging first step for Gallup, whose presence will boost a thin receiving room once he's returned. Last season he appeared in nine games while posting a receiving line of 35-445-2. Gallup should serve as Dallas' No. 2 receiver once he returns to the field, and is nothing more than a bench stash in deep leagues at this point.
SOURCE: The Dallas Morning News
Aug 18, 2022, 6:48 PM ET

Speaking Wednesday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones indicated Michael Gallup (knee) will avoid the reserve/PUP list.​

Gallup has already said he won't be ready in time for Week 1, but avoiding the PUP list would suggest the timeline for Gallup's return is sometime in the season's first four weeks. That's obviously great news, as the Cowboys are already without James Washington (foot) and haven't gotten much of anything from their other wideouts behind CeeDee Lamb this summer. Rookie Jalen Tolbert, sophomore Simi Fehoko, and veteran Noah Brown are all expected to get reps alongside Lamb while Gallup is out.
SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter
Aug 24, 2022, 6:05 PM ET

Michael Gallup (knee) was not placed on the reserve/PUP list.​

Jerry Jones suggested this would be the case last week, but now it is official. Gallup is still not expected to be ready for the season opener, but he should be back within the first four weeks. Once back to full health, Gallup will see his fair share of targets as the clear No. 2 receiver behind CeeDee Lamb.
Aug 30, 2022, 8:04 PM ET

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Michael Gallup's (knee) rehab is "going very smooth."​

“(He) looks excellent," McCarthy said Wednesday. "He’s getting close. He’s hit every target. His rehab is going very smooth. Just staying on the plan.” Gallup has yet to resume team drills, but he avoided the PUP list at final cuts, meaning the Cowboys expect him back within the first four games. Considering the Cowboys' lack of proven pass catchers behind CeeDee Lamb and Dalton Schultz, Gallup could quickly reassume WR3 status upon his return.
Sep 1, 2022, 1:26 PM ET

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Michael Gallup (knee) "looks really good" ahead of Thursday's practice.​

Gallup is recovering from a torn ACL that suffered on January 2nd of last season. The veteran receiver avoided the PUP list to open the season, and practiced with the team on Wednesday. When asked about whether or not Gallup would suit up on Sunday, McCarthy said, "If he practices today, we'll talk about it." It sounds like Gallup is close to a return, but we'd take a cautions approach with him in Week 1, even if he is active. Gallup projects as a WR3 in PPR leagues when healthy.
SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter
Sep 8, 2022, 12:21 PM ET

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Michael Gallup (knee) "looks really good" ahead of Thursday's practice.​

Gallup is recovering from a torn ACL that suffered on January 2nd of last season. The veteran receiver avoided the PUP list to open the season, and practiced with the team on Wednesday. When asked about whether or not Gallup would suit up on Sunday, McCarthy said, "If he practices today, we'll talk about it." It sounds like Gallup is close to a return, but we'd take a cautions approach with him in Week 1, even if he is active. Gallup projects as a WR3 in PPR leagues when healthy.
Sep 8, 2022, 12:21 PM ET
This is an incredibly quick recovery. Gallup will remain on my fantasy bench for now, but I am very encouraged by this news. Giddy up!

Michael Gallup (knee) will not play in Week 1's game against the Buccaneers.​

No surprise, but Gallup did generally seem to make major progress this week. He participated in each of the three practice sessions and Mike McCarthy had encouraging words to say. Gallup could very well be up for Week 2, but the way this is trending he should probably be considered likely to play in Week 3. Whenever his first game occurs, it's probably wise to expect a pitch count in his first action back from a torn ACL.
Sep 9, 2022, 3:59 PM ET

ESPN's Todd Archer said it's unlikely Michael Gallup (knee) will play in Week 2.​

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said Gallup would do "group stuff" this week in practice as he makes his way back from a late 2021 ACL tear. "In all likelihood, Gallup will need at least another week before he gets into a game," Archer said. Fantasy managers should hang on to Gallup if they can; he has real target-based upside in a Dallas offense without much target competition outside CeeDee Lamb. Noah Brown will operate as the team's No. 2 wideout until Gallup can return. Against the Bucs last week, Brown was Dallas' leading receiver, catching five of nine targets for 68 yards. Only Lamb saw more targets.
RELATED:
Sep 14, 2022, 12:55 PM ET

Michael Gallup (knee) will not play in Week 2's game against the Bengals.​

No surprise, as Gallup appears to be on a slow ramp up as he returns from his torn ACL. Noah Brown got the majority of the non-CeeDee Lamb targets last week for Dallas and the Cowboys project to face a negative game script without Dak Prescott. Brown could be an interesting DFS punt.
RELATED:
Sep 16, 2022, 1:48 PM ET

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said on 105.3 The Fan that it is "certainly possible" that Michael Gallup (knee) could suit up in Week 3 against the Giants.​

Gallup was ruled out for Week 2 against the Bengals long before Sunday, but it sounds like the team is optimistic about his return in Week 3. Gallup saw limited action in practice last week and was in pads for the first time in 2022. It's still too early to know whether or not he will in fact suit up this week, but it's a promising report to start the week. There's a good chance Gallup is on a pitch count once he returns as the team looks to ease him back into the mix.
Sep 19, 2022, 1:25 PM ET

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said on 105.3 The Fan that it is "certainly possible" that Michael Gallup (knee) could suit up in Week 3 against the Giants.​

Gallup was ruled out for Week 2 against the Bengals long before Sunday, but it sounds like the team is optimistic about his return in Week 3. Gallup saw limited action in practice last week and was in pads for the first time in 2022. It's still too early to know whether or not he will in fact suit up this week, but it's a promising report to start the week. There's a good chance Gallup is on a pitch count once he returns as the team looks to ease him back into the mix.
Sep 19, 2022, 1:25 PM ET
I'm reporting that it's plausibly impossible that he doesn't play.

The Star Telegram's Clarence Hill Jr. reports Michael Gallup (knee) "appears to be on track for some reps" in Week 3 against the Giants.​

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said Gallup is going to see a "full slate" of practice reps this week. It represents major progress for Gallup, who is recovering from a late season ACL tear. A limited snap count will make Gallup unusable in fantasy for this coming week, though he could soon be a solid WR3 option as Dallas' No. 2 wideout behind CeeDee Lamb. Gallup drafters should stay patient for another week or two. His return would strip Noah Brown of any fantasy relevance.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Clarence Hill on Twitter
Sep 21, 2022, 12:23 PM ET

Michael Gallup (knee) practiced again on Thursday.​

Gallup practiced last week, and the Cowboys have all but confirmed he will be active for Monday Night Football against the Cowboys. A "full" session today would confirm it. The Cowboys desperately need Gallup back as a second viable target in the receiver corps, but with Gallup expected to be snap counted and Cooper Rush at the controls, Gallup can't be trusted as a WR4 for Week 3.
Sep 22, 2022, 1:50 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Michael Gallup (knee) is expected to be inactive for Week 3 against the Giants.​

Gallup appeared to be trending up all week, making this report a bit of a surprise. Gallup logged two full practices last week and drew a questionable tag on Saturday. NFL Network's Jane Slater later added that the team reported no setbacks for Gallup, but that they believe he needs another week to get ready. Those in need of a replacement for Gallup in their lineups could look to Noah Brown, who is rostered in just 19% of Yahoo leagues. Brown has gone for 10-159-1 on the season and went for 5-91-1 in Week 2 against the Bengals.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Sep 26, 2022, 12:13 PM ET

Michael Gallup (knee) is inactive for Week 3 against the Giants Monday night.​

NFL Network's Jane Slater reports the team is "hopeful" to have Gallup out there next week against the Commanders. Noah Brown stepping up for 5/91/1 last week eased concerns behind CeeDee Lamb and probably played a part in the decision to give Gallup another week. Brown is WR3-playable in tonight's date with the G-Men.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jane Slater on Twitter
Sep 26, 2022, 6:35 PM ET

Michael Gallup (knee) said he is physically "fine and ready to go."​

Gallup said his absence last week was based on his mental readiness. Coming off a torn ACL in January, Gallup only got two padded practices before Sunday. He has been getting limited and full practices in throughout the year, but the Cowboys have been cautious with his return. A Week 4 debut for Gallup looks promising, but we won't know for sure until later in the week.
SOURCE: Clarence Hill on Twitter
Sep 28, 2022, 1:11 PM ET

Giddyup. Not starting him this week but am way more excited for his return than I should be.

Your avatar was better when the people were tumbling. Just saying.

As far as Gallup goes, I'm not trusting him either, even as a WR5. I don't think so, anyway.

I don't know how you start this guy for at least 4 weeks post return. Un rosterable redraft.
I don’t know why anyone would put a number on it. You monitor his snaps and targets. If/When he’s actually back back he probably takes Noah Browns snaps and gives you what Brown’s been giving plus a bit more. Certainly rosterable IMO.

I don't know how you start this guy for at least 4 weeks post return. Un rosterable redraft.
I don’t know why anyone would put a number on it. You monitor his snaps and targets. If/When he’s actually back back he probably takes Noah Browns snaps and gives you what Brown’s been giving plus a bit more. Certainly rosterable IMO.

If you think you already know his snap count and targets... go for it, start him this week. I'll sit back and watch a few weeks, to actually know his snap counts and targets. I have no confidence in this team, and will consider Dak's return a slight downgrade to the passing game.

eta - MUCH rather use a roster spot on someone like Jameson Williams as a wait and see roster spot.

and will consider Dak's return a slight downgrade to the passing game.

Hoo boy. Better to close one's mouth than remove all doubt.

Rather have Dak at QB than Rush... but Dak is still a borderline average passer. That injury erased one of his most god awful passing performances in years.... and that is one long list. He looked terrible.

Without Amari Cooper, by my count: Dak passing games under 200 yards = 17. Dak passing games over 300 yards = 4. Hoo boy indeed.

Last edited:

If you think you already know his snap count and targets... go for it, start him this week. I'll sit back and watch a few weeks, to actually know his snap counts and targets. I have no confidence in this team, and will consider Dak's return a slight downgrade to the passing game.

eta - MUCH rather use a roster spot on someone like Jameson Williams as a wait and see roster spot.
Literally said to monitor his snaps/targets…not to start him cold. And no Dak isn’t a downgrade to their passing game. He can support 3 fantasy options. He did all last year Amari CeeDee and Schultz.

Literally said to monitor his snaps/targets…not to start him cold. And no Dak isn’t a downgrade to their passing game. He can support 3 fantasy options. He did all last year Amari CeeDee and Schultz.

yes you literally said monitor snaps... then proceeded to literally predict his snaps.

Dak has shown he can support 3 with Amari. Haven't seen it without Amari. I'll believe it when I see it.

yes you literally said monitor snaps... then proceeded to literally predict his snaps.

Dak has shown he can support 3 with Amari. Haven't seen it without Amari. I'll believe it when I see it.
I’ll break it down for you a little more simply because you seem to be struggling here:

Monitor his snaps and targets. When he’s back fully healthy he probably takes the role Noah Brown is currently occupying. His snaps and targets will indicate that. Don’t start him until that happens. When it does happen he’s likely to produce somewhere between what Brown did and what Amari. You’re the one who predicted he was unstartable for 4 weeks and thus not rosterable. I’m just saying to watch his role and if he gets back to 100% it’s worth the wait.

I’ll break it down for you a little more simply because you seem to be struggling here:

Monitor his snaps and targets. When he’s back fully healthy he probably takes the role Noah Brown is currently occupying. His snaps and targets will indicate that. Don’t start him until that happens. When it does happen he’s likely to produce somewhere between what Brown did and what Amari. You’re the one who predicted he was unstartable for 4 weeks and thus not rosterable. I’m just saying to watch his role and if he gets back to 100% it’s worth the wait.

Yes, so you have it covered I guess. You think you know his snaps, but you get to fall back on monitoring them.

Way to put your foot down and take a stand my man.

Yes, so you have it covered I guess. You think you know his snaps, but you get to fall back on monitoring them.

Way to put your foot down and take a stand my man.
Right that’s what happened here. I think this has gone as far as it should go. Don’t bother responding.

My prediction for Gallup tomorrow: 4 catches, 53 yds, 0 TDs. But comes out looking healthy.

For anyone interested in actual discourse on this: the second wr in Dallas over the past 20 games has averaged about 14.5 fantasy points. That was Amari 15 of those times and Amari is very good. But Gallup and Brown did it too over a much smaller sample. And it’s certainly arguable that the wr3 and wr4 are worse than in the previous year. Personally I want to find out if Gallup is that guy whose the wr2 there this year.

Cowboys WR Michael Gallup (knee) is active for Week 4 vs. the Commanders.​

Gallup nearly made it back for Week 3 against the Giants but was held out to give him an extra week of prep. Heading into Week 4 against the Commanders, Gallup did not show up on the team's final injury report and is now set to make his 2022 debut. Despite a fantasy-friendly matchup against the Commanders, Gallup could be difficult to trust in his first game back. He's best treated as a low-end FLEX play.
Oct 2, 2022, 11:45 AM ET

Picked him up in my keeper league just to see what he does. Have some byes coming up so he might be in play plus I got Keenan Allen and Renfrow both hurt.

Michael Gallup failed to catch either of his two targets in the Cowboys' Week 7 win over the Lions.

With Dak Prescott back under center for this one and Gallup's playing time on the rise, Gallup's arrow seemed to be screaming upward. Instead, it was Gallup's third career catch-less game and first since Week 7 of 2020. Gallup will look to rebound in another favorable Week 8 spot at home against the Bears.

- NBCSportsEDGE

For anyone interested in actual discourse on this: the second wr in Dallas over the past 20 games has averaged about 14.5 fantasy points. That was Amari 15 of those times and Amari is very good. But Gallup and Brown did it too over a much smaller sample. And it’s certainly arguable that the wr3 and wr4 are worse than in the previous year. Personally I want to find out if Gallup is that guy whose the wr2 there this year.

Amari did it because he was another #1. Arguably the #1.

Rather have Dak at QB than Rush... but Dak is still a borderline average passer. That injury erased one of his most god awful passing performances in years.... and that is one long list. He looked terrible.

Without Amari Cooper, by my count: Dak passing games under 200 yards = 17. Dak passing games over 300 yards = 4. Hoo boy indeed.

With 4 minutes left in the game against the worst defense in the league Dak JUST gets over the 200 yard mark. Hoo boy.

Last edited:

With 4 minutes left in the game against the worst defense in the league Dak JUST gets over the 200 yard mark. Hoo boy.
If you want to say Amari is way better than Gallup you won’t get much of an argument from me. My only point was that Dak supported 2 wrs in fantasy last year and I thought it worthwhile to see if Gallup who was paid like a starter would fit into the role as clear #2 there. I think that would make him rosterable.

If he continues to split with Noah Briwn then he’s not worth holding. Last week was a massive disappointment no doubt and I already have to cut him in a shorter bench league where my wrs are loaded- Chase Hopkins Adams Godwin Meyers. I’ll continue to hold where I can and see if Dak can shake the rust off and support a second wr like he did for a whole year last year.

If you want to say Amari is way better than Gallup you won’t get much of an argument from me. My only point was that Dak supported 2 wrs in fantasy last year and I thought it worthwhile to see if Gallup who was paid like a starter would fit into the role as clear #2 there. I think that would make him rosterable.

If he continues to split with Noah Briwn then he’s not worth holding. Last week was a massive disappointment no doubt and I already have to cut him in a shorter bench league where my wrs are loaded- Chase Hopkins Adams Godwin Meyers. I’ll continue to hold where I can and see if Dak can shake the rust off and support a second wr like he did for a whole year last year.

I think the Cowboys have figured out their QB/passing game isn't what wins them games.

Users who are viewing this thread