What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty RB sleepers (1 Viewer)

gocats

Footballguy
Just for starters:

Cedric Houston

R. Moats

Maurice Morris

JJ Arrington

Onterrio Smith

Ciatric Fason

Brandon Jacobs

G. Jones

M. Barber

Last edited by a moderator:
Derek Watson, TB - Talented RB who cold be Caddy's backup.

Derrick Ward, NYG - He is Tiki's backup not Jacobs.

Derrick Wimbush, JAX - It may seem crowded now in Jax, but in 2 years it could be him or Pearman.

Musa Smith, BAL - Next year it could be Smith vs. Mike Anderson for the job. Health is a concern (leg)

Better define your version of sleeper.

Guys that are already rostered = gocats listing of #2 RBs

Guys that are questionable to be rostered (some are, some arent) = Highway's list

Derrick Wimbush, JAX - It may seem crowded now in Jax, but in 2 years it could be him or Pearman.

Musa Smith, BAL - Next year it could be Smith vs. Mike Anderson for the job. Health is a concern (leg)
This is what I consider a sleeper list for dynasty purposes.Most of the guys on the list in the first post are rostered in all my dynasty leagues..........

Of the guys mentioned already here are a few I like.

Ciatrick Fason - He was a rookie last year who began buried on the depth chart but worked his way into some Goal-line, short yardage packages. Was drafted in the 4th round but since last year's draft was heavy on RB's he "fell". Many said he had the talent or graded out to be a 2nd rounder. And, if I'm not mistaken, Minnesota traded up in the 4th to grab him as he was slipping. The situation in Minnesota is murky for him now that Chester taylor has signed but I like this kid's long term outlook if not 2006. Chester has never been an every down back and I for one don't think he's exceptional in any area, just real solid. Mewelde will most certainly never be a 300 carry, 16 game back. FASON = pretty good size, decent speed, overall pretty solid. I could see him contributing heavily in a RBBC if either of the other two guys has problems and I do think Fason will be good enough to hold down a starting gig sometime in his career. Opportunity is what he needs most.

Cedric Houston - really underachieved at tennessee, as has his former running mate Gerald Riggs Jr. However, what most don't know is Houston has some kind of health condition that was brought under control last year for the first time and the difference has been pretty profound. For the life of me, I can't remember what it is, I wanna say seizures but if somebody can back me up I won't feel stupid for bringing this up. Basically, this kid was really suffering phsically and it affected his play. These guys are totally different but Thomas Jones had some sort of breathing problem his first couple of years in the league which he's gotten under control and along with no longer playing with the Cardinals and punching walls, has helped him immensely. BTW, Riggs underachieving has more to do with attitude and work ethic while Houston had a world of talent and everybody gave him the underachiever label as well. I guess what I'm saying is his deal was physical and he dropped all the way to the 6th and 7th round as he was just to uneven in his play. However, he impressed last year and I think the guy has a nice future. Again, opportunity is big for him and he's going to need some breaks to get his shot. However, CuMar's wheels are falling off and Blaylock was injured in 2005 and is more of a change of pace / 3rd down back. If the Jets go in with these three guys without bringing in another back, Houston could see himself thrust into action in a major way in 2006.

Brandon Jacobs - All of NY loved this guy when the season started and he basically disappointed. The thing he was brought in for, goal-line and short yardage, he failed at. Give him a couple more years and he'll be a better running back as he's had limited reps (he was 3rd string at Auburn behind Caddy and Ronny and even split carries at the smaller college he transferred to). However, I dislike his agility a lot, he finished rock bottom at every agility drill at the combine for Running Backs (like cones and stuff) by a large margin. Conversely, he's a 260 pound monster who runs a 4.5 40. That's impressive. Although it might take him awhile to get started. He runs high which is a problem. He coughed it up a couple times last year. He needs to get his specialty role down first so he can get on the field. Also, if he can get work as a Fullback - H -Back that would help him get some playing time. He'll have to work on his hands though. ----- Long term, I see his upside in a pro style offense being a bit limited as he's a bit stiff. He just doesn't have the movement skills to utilize his best assets, size, power, and straight line speed. He can't consistently get the corner. ---- Here is the scenario I like him in though. In a power running offense. The lead feet wouldn't matter as much here. If he could get the ball 15-25 times a game, he could send the opposing team home much worse for the ware. The best team for him in the NFL would probably be the :towelwave: BLACK AND GOLD. If he were to refine his game a bit (pad level, running high) he'd be a real weapon. And for fantasy, I'd like his chances of getting the goal-line carries.

Im curious what ppl think about Moats? He performed pretty well last year after Westbrook went down for a bit and my league keeps a 2nd year guy as a keeper, so I was wondering if anyone thinks he has value, its either him or probably Gore that ill be considering.

Short term hold = hold through the season, see how the situation/injuries play out.

Long term hold = patience... may need to wait til 07 or 08. better pickups in deep roster leagues.

Not a complete list, but a few that come to mind:

Lionel Gates, BUF - draft stock dropped b/c of injury, good size/speed RB. long term hold.

Sammy Morris, MIA - decent in 04, could be primary backup to Brown. short term hold.

Patrick Pass, NE - quietly looked very good when given the chance. short term hold.

James Mungro, IND - Like Rhodes, looked strong, but is it too long ago to matter? short term hold.

Derrick Wimbush, JAX- small school stud, have to like it when a big back returns a KO for TD. long term hold.

Ronnie Cruz, KC - Taking over for Tony Richardson, they kept him instead of Gado, would he get the carries if LJ went down and Priest retires? short term hold.

Cedric Cobbs, DEN - never count an RB out in Denver. Has the talent to succeed. short term hold.

Tyson Thompson, DAL - Big guy with blazing speed, looked solid when he played, but lost playing time because of bad practices. opportunity likely coming elsewhere. long term hold.

Vernand Morency, HOU - Probably buried in Houston. Still a decent talent, could opportunity elsewhere. long term hold.

Adrian Peterson, CHI -Very easily could end up competing with unproven Benson for carries soon. Looked very good last year. Long term hold.

Nick Goings, CAR - Never turn your back on this guy. Short term hold. Only a foster injury away from big carries depending on draft outcome.

Maurice Hicks, SF - Always plays well when given opportunity. Short term hold.

Musa Smith, BAL - Next year it could be Smith vs. Mike Anderson for the job.  Health is a concern (leg)
Musa Smith still has value? He was a second round rookie pick for me and I'd be willing to take a ham sandwich for him about now. He has had several chances in the following years to make a statement and yet has failed to do so on every account. IMHO, at this point he is little more than a throw in player. However if I am wrong someone please correct me now before I take that ham sandwich.Edit for grammer

he's too small to be anything more than a change-of-pace or 3rd down back, IMO..
I disagree. I think he's "big" enough in build if not height to be an every down back. He sort of reminds me of Andre Hall in this years class. Someone who has enough quickness, moves and lower body strength to really make it as an every down RB in the right situation. Whether Philadelphia is the right situation is up for debate.

Im curious what ppl think about Moats? He performed pretty well last year after Westbrook went down for a bit and my league keeps a 2nd year guy as a keeper, so I was wondering if anyone thinks he has value, its either him or probably Gore that ill be considering.
Moats is the 2 behind Westbrook, and showed he is very fast as he broke some long gainers in December last year.He was sidelined / inactive the first half of '05 because he (A) wasn't a special teams contributor and (B) more importantly had not learned the offense enough to contribute early on.

If Philly starts to use a 2-back set or Westbrook in the slot (yes, it could happen), Moats gets more value. However Westy is signed for a while (thru 2010), so barring injury or a trade he's stuck behind him.

Of the guys mentioned already here are a few I like.Cedric Houston - really underachieved at tennessee, as has his former running mate Gerald Riggs Jr. However, what most don't know is Houston has some kind of health condition that was brought under control last year for the first time and the difference has been pretty profound. For the life of me, I can't remember what it is, I wanna say seizures but if somebody can back me up I won't feel stupid for bringing this up. Basically, this kid was really suffering phsically and it affected his play. These guys are totally different but Thomas Jones had some sort of breathing problem his first couple of years in the league which he's gotten under control and along with no longer playing with the Cardinals and punching walls, has helped him immensely. BTW, Riggs underachieving has more to do with attitude and work ethic while Houston had a world of talent and everybody gave him the underachiever label as well. I guess what I'm saying is his deal was physical and he dropped all the way to the 6th and 7th round as he was just to uneven in his play. However, he impressed last year and I think the guy has a nice future. Again, opportunity is big for him and he's going to need some breaks to get his shot. However, CuMar's wheels are falling off and Blaylock was injured in 2005 and is more of a change of pace / 3rd down back. If the Jets go in with these three guys without bringing in another back, Houston could see himself thrust into action in a major way in 2006.
It was a thyroid condition and you are correct it is now consodered to be under control.

My vote is for the "other" Adrian Peterson. The 3rd stringer for the Bears.

1. He filled in pretty decently for them when Benson and Thomas were both dinged up.

2. 4.7 career ypc

3. Prototypical size - 5-10 210

If Thomas gets moved or Benson can't come back quickly, he could see opportunity.

Some Cedric Houston news - auto accident

Users who are viewing this thread