What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty/Redraft RB, Rodney Anderson declares for the 2019 NFL Draft. (1 Viewer)

Oklahoma RB Rodney Anderson is visiting the Houston Texans.

The Texans future at running back is non-existent with Lamar Miller heading into his final season and with D'Onta Foreman rehabbing from an Achilles tear, so expect draft capital to be spent on a runner. Anderson (6'0/224) would be a worthwhile gamble early on Day 3 as he's shown starting-level talent before, something many backs in this class can't say. In 2017 before his 2018 ACL injury, Anderson took a whopping 20% of his carries for at least eight yards.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Apr 3, 2019, 9:56 AM

NFLDraftScout.com's Ric Serritella considers Oklahoma RB Rodney Anderson to be an "under the radar" prospect in this year's draft.

Anderson (6'0/224) missed much of 2018 due to a torn ACL, and that has impacted his draft prospects. But the Sooner ran for more than 1,400 yards in 2017, and if he can get back to that level of play look out. "Can he recapture the same form and if so, how long will it take to get back to full strength? If so, Anderson could emerge as the best back in this draft class," Serritella wrote in his analysis of the back, who is viewed as a Day 3 draft prospect.

SOURCE: NFLDraftScout.com

Apr 4, 2019, 9:10 AM

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah called Oklahoma RB Rodney Anderson's upside "tremendous."

Jeremiah points to Anderson's (6'0/224) season in 2017 as evidence, but the question surrounding Anderson is how healthy he is after multiple lower-body injuries. Because of those injuries, Anderson hasn't been able to participate in on-field events during the draft process, so Jeremiah calls him a "wild card" prospect. It's impossible to project where he'll be drafted without knowing the details of his medical report, but he'd be, at worst, a Day 2 prospect if he was fully healthy.

SOURCE: Andrew Howard on Twitter

Apr 18, 2019, 2:41 PM

kittenmittens said:
I'll be looking to take a really late flier on him.  If I can get him as an UDFA even better... This kind of talent is worth a deep league roster spot just to see. 
Hope to stash him for $1 real late in my auction next summer. 

Bengals selected Oklahoma RB Rodney Anderson with the No. 211 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Anderson (6’0/224) appeared in only 18 games (9 starts) in his entire college career, breaking his leg as a freshman, suffering a fractured vertebra as a sophomore, dominating for 188/1,161/13 (6.2 YPR) rushing with 17 receptions as a junior, then tearing his right ACL two games into 2018. A plus-sized runner built for short yardage with passing-game competency, Anderson offers Latavius Murray-level tools with obvious durability concerns.

Apr 27, 2019, 2:54 PM

Curious as to who he did remind you of.
I am not really sure. He doesn't specifically remind me of anyone.

From what I have seen he has very good change of direction ability and footwork to work between the tackles and create for himself with good vision, footwork, balance and burst. 

He catches the ball very naturally as well. He can do everything you want a RB to do (except stay healthy).

Based on watching him he is a tier one RB. As good or better than every other RB I have considered tier one.

I wouldn't rank him that high because of draft position and continued concern about injuries, as well as being blocked for playing time by two other very good RB on the roster.

Bengals sixth-round RB Rodney Anderson (knee) expects to be ready for training camp.

Anderson missed all but two games last year with a torn ACL. Injuries followed Anderson throughout his college career, but he should open training camp healthy. Anderson will compete with Trayveon Williams for a third-string role.

SOURCE: Cincinnati Enquirer

May 19, 2019, 10:20 AM ET

I'm not sure there's a better steal in 2019 rookie drafts.

I believe Anderson will be a stud if he stays healthy. I'm not sure I had any stronger feelings on DJ, Forte, CJ, & some of the other RBs I've went big on. That said, I want to reiterate IF he stays healthy. At this point, that seems to be a pretty big if.

Not a good situation for immediate production, but if Anderson does stay relatively injury free, he'll be a star at some point, whether with the Bengals or someone else. I haven't looked up Anderson's ADP, but from what I've seen, he typically goes in the 3rd or 4th. Fantastic bargain, especially in this down class.

I'm not sure there's a better steal in 2019 rookie drafts.

I believe Anderson will be a stud if he stays healthy. I'm not sure I had any stronger feelings on DJ, Forte, CJ, & some of the other RBs I've went big on. That said, I want to reiterate IF he stays healthy. At this point, that seems to be a pretty big if.

Not a good situation for immediate production, but if Anderson does stay relatively injury free, he'll be a star at some point, whether with the Bengals or someone else. I haven't looked up Anderson's ADP, but from what I've seen, he typically goes in the 3rd or 4th. Fantastic bargain, especially in this down class.
This is a pretty bold claim, but one I agree with to some degree, but maybe not with the same certainty you have. He has potential to be a stud, I agree. 

How do you think he gets there? is there a future trade to happen? Does Mixon walk and Anderson steps up? 

I'm not sure I see a path to being a stud when Anderson is 26-27 years old when his contract runs out. I hope you're right, but he is pretty much buried behind one of the next best RBs in the league

This is a pretty bold claim, but one I agree with to some degree, but maybe not with the same certainty you have. He has potential to be a stud, I agree. 

How do you think he gets there? is there a future trade to happen? Does Mixon walk and Anderson steps up? 

I'm not sure I see a path to being a stud when Anderson is 26-27 years old when his contract runs out. I hope you're right, but he is pretty much buried behind one of the next best RBs in the league
Could be injury to Mixon or him leaving via FA, some sort of RBBC, just flat beating out Mixon (although, I wouldn't predict that), or a trade.

I think Anderson is likely to produce before his contract is up, but not sure how. Even if he doesn't surface before then, Rodney is well worth the stash in case something happens, especially considering his current price. Worst case scenario is you have a top RB who's still young enough to have several good seasons (& with low mileage).

Again, IF he stays healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengals sixth-round RB Rodney Anderson (knee) is likely to open the season on the reserve/PUP list.

Anderson tore his ACL two games into his junior season. He was expected to be ready for training camp, but that's not going to happen. Anderson will miss at least the first six games if he lands on PUP but it could allow the Bengals to stash him without using a roster spot. With Anderson sidelined, Trayveon Williams is the favorite for Cincy's No. 3 role.

SOURCE: Paul Dehner on Twitter

Jul 17, 2019, 4:21 PM ET

Bengals activated RB Rodney Anderson from the active/PUP list.

Dubbed by some as a potential 2018 first-rounder, Anderson tore his ACL in Oklahoma's second game last season and wasn't selected until the sixth round. He has a lengthy history of serious injuries that also includes a fractured vertebra and broken leg. Anderson will slide in as the Bengals' No. 4 back.

Aug 7, 2019, 2:57 PM ET

I'm ecstatic Anderson is a go. They'll still likely ease him in, but it's great news.

Anderson is the most talented RB in this class & it's not close. The destination was far from ideal with Mixon there, but from a raw talent perspective, I like Rodney more.

Obviously, the thing with him is can he get back to 100% & stay healthy. If so, the Bengals got a huge steal.

Football Jones said:
Anderson is the most talented RB in this class & it's not close. The destination was far from ideal with Mixon there
This I can completely agree with. I'm invested heavily

I am holding him more in hope of a great 2nd team destination or in case Mixon gets a horrific injury. own him in any leagues I have Mixon 

I can't decide if this reveals anything about Cincinnatis future plans, or if they are just inept. 

I know they are inept of course, quite inept... 

I can't decide if this reveals anything about Cincinnatis future plans, or if they are just inept. 

I know they are inept of course, quite inept... 
well, I see it as:

Gio gone in 2020

Tray Williams takes Gios role as he seems to match with that skillset

Anderson becomes the handcuff for Mixon 

They could he going the route of keep your rb through their rookie contract only. It's crazy how young Mixon will be when his rookie deal expires. 

Rodney Anderson needs probably a year to recover yet and then 2020 we will know more. 

IMO it was a great deal in the draft, as both he and Williams do different things, and you cant have too many good rbs

This guy is one of the more underrated dynasty assets in FF. He'll be a feature back at some point if he can beat the injury bug.

Anderson makes an outstanding trade target with his lowish ADP. And you won't have a lot on the line if he can't stay healthy.

Rodney has a ton of raw ability. More than Jacobs & Thompson or any of the young RBs getting hyped right now. The perfect time to acquire him has already passed, but he's still a worthwhile investment if you can get him anywhere near his ADP.

Haven,t paying any attention to him after being sniped 1 pick b4 me in May Dynasty rookie draft. As a Mixon owner , did not care for that. Now it may not be very easy to trade for him later on.

Hey guys I get that injuries is quite a possibility as to why Pro scouts may have written the man off   Not my intent to argue that their right or wrong about nothing   I'm just saying a broken bone it's like a violent sport   Neck injury is usually viewed as a "freak accident"  I also must say it sure seems like a majority of the best backs seem to suffer an ACL 

Any of you care to explain what it is personally that you can't just ignore and/or seem fixated on  I mean yeah the vertebrae in his neck seems almost devastating in of and by itself   But he's already rehabbed and performed somewhat admirable not losing a step so it seems  TBH  I sorta perceived the injury tag as more missed games due to bumps and bruises possibly combined w/ actual injury's   Maybe to rightly includes several multiple broken bones and/or the same injury repeated

I have a few points that I'd enjoy discussing that may not be so relevant a discussion leaning more towards discussing potential actions/reactions involving other player(s)  But to cut to the chase concerning just time on the field   How should we expect to see Gio's time handled considering his contract   Ideally, I would think it makes sense for the Bengals to keep  Chance the contract demands is too much?  (Following yr is Mixon right)  Does Playtime increase for more trade considerations  Any chance he actually inactive on some days?  Don't much care to sound positive about an injury but is it safe to speculate that Gio takes back the reins w/ such injury?  I realize it would just be speculation based on Cincy's past handlings because its a new HC   But I personally find it somewhat relevant

btw  I'm not so sure Rodney should cost all that much just yet depending upon how/when acquired in relation to what could transpire as soon as this season begins   No? 

TL;DR  Lotta word's for a 6th Rnd ST's guy who is lucky to be active on game day?

Hey guys I get that injuries is quite a possibility as to why Pro scouts may have written the man off   Not my intent to argue that their right or wrong about nothing   I'm just saying a broken bone it's like a violent sport   Neck injury is usually viewed as a "freak accident"  I also must say it sure seems like a majority of the best backs seem to suffer an ACL 

Any of you care to explain what it is personally that you can't just ignore and/or seem fixated on  I mean yeah the vertebrae in his neck seems almost devastating in of and by itself   But he's already rehabbed and performed somewhat admirable not losing a step so it seems  TBH  I sorta perceived the injury tag as more missed games due to bumps and bruises possibly combined w/ actual injury's   Maybe to rightly includes several multiple broken bones and/or the same injury repeated

I have a few points that I'd enjoy discussing that may not be so relevant a discussion leaning more towards discussing potential actions/reactions involving other player(s)  But to cut to the chase concerning just time on the field   How should we expect to see Gio's time handled considering his contract   Ideally, I would think it makes sense for the Bengals to keep  Chance the contract demands is too much?  (Following yr is Mixon right)  Does Playtime increase for more trade considerations  Any chance he actually inactive on some days?  Don't much care to sound positive about an injury but is it safe to speculate that Gio takes back the reins w/ such injury?  I realize it would just be speculation based on Cincy's past handlings because its a new HC   But I personally find it somewhat relevant

btw  I'm not so sure Rodney should cost all that much just yet depending upon how/when acquired in relation to what could transpire as soon as this season begins   No? 

TL;DR  Lotta word's for a 6th Rnd ST's guy who is lucky to be active on game day?
🤨  :confused:

did anyone make it further than I did (the second "sentence")?????

I do not know the extent or severity of his previous injuries are or how NFL medical staffs may have evaluated him as having risk of serious injury. Based on his draft position, it seems like teams have some concerns about that.

Maybe someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn could chime in on that if they know or have an opinion.

That is possible that previous injuries indicate higher risk of re-injury. I do not know.

Bernard is a UFA after this season he will be 28 years old. Likely his last contract with the NFL.

Similar to Duke Johnson I was surprised when Bernard signed a pretty team friendly contract extension when they clearly did not see Bernard as a feature RB. It was criminal in my opinion when they were playing Jeremy Hill over Bernard. That bird has flown now though and Bernard is reaching the end of his NFL career. He seems to be satisfied with his COP role and he could re-sign with the Bengals with similar role and expectation, or he could sign with another team where I would expect him to have similar COP role.

For this season it is possible that Anderson would split time with Bernard if Mixon missed games. I have always thought that Bernard could be more than a COP but I seem to be alone on that. Even Bernard doesn't seem to think so based on the contractual agreements he has made and how he has been used by the Bengals. So that suggests they would have Bernard split time with another RB.

Mixon is such a good receiver himself, it makes Bernards role be even more diminished. Anderson is a good receiver too so there isn't a clear definition to me as far as things that Bernard or Anderson is better at than the other RB. I would assume more of Bernard just because he is a veteran, but it would likely be a split of some sort. Like it is with most teams.

@Biabreakable  No as you seem to post I do realize the perception that on paper its possible that NFL teams including the Bengals downgraded the player if not in fact written him off   (Ive already taken the time to list other possible reasons)  It seems that the people w the highest hopes for Rodney may consider the man an injury risk   More interest in why exactly  IF it's just the amount of occasions w number of games missed?  Hey that's an acceptable answer   (The response doesn't really have to add up as its mostly moot)   It's just that some posts/remarks/answers/responses can come across quite generic in nature   Basically regurgitated for misrepresentation of sounding "knowledgeable" or something  

Really wish you could be more specific on the injury talk  Sounds as if your trying to say you don't know why   You just feel he has earned the moniker of "injury prone"  Feels like I'm beating a dead horse to me because it's a somewhat known that players play through some injuries   (Sadly when some turn Pro things change)

(btw) Your certainly entitled to believe Anderson is no better than Mixon much less "Bernard"  It's just not my impression  HC makes the call and it doesn't even have to be correct   I do appreciate you making it clear that your not part of the Rodney camp so to speak  Matter of fact I almost feel bad for you being Pro Bernard  lulz  But I can relate to the feeling

@Biabreakable  No as you seem to post I do realize the perception that on paper its possible that NFL teams including the Bengals downgraded the player if not in fact written him off   (Ive already taken the time to list other possible reasons)  It seems that the people w the highest hopes for Rodney may consider the man an injury risk   More interest in why exactly  IF it's just the amount of occasions w number of games missed?  Hey that's an acceptable answer   (The response doesn't really have to add up as its mostly moot)   It's just that some posts/remarks/answers/responses can come across quite generic in nature   Basically regurgitated for misrepresentation of sounding "knowledgeable" or something  

Really wish you could be more specific on the injury talk  Sounds as if your trying to say you don't know why   You just feel he has earned the moniker of "injury prone"  Feels like I'm beating a dead horse to me because it's a somewhat known that players play through some injuries   (Sadly when some turn Pro things change)

(btw) Your certainly entitled to believe Anderson is no better than Mixon much less "Bernard"  It's just not my impression  HC makes the call and it doesn't even have to be correct   I do appreciate you making it clear that your not part of the Rodney camp so to speak  Matter of fact I almost feel bad for you being Pro Bernard  lulz  But I can relate to the feeling
Where are you getting the idea I dont like Rodney Anderson?

I have stated in this thread that I think Rodney Anderson is a tier one RB an equal to Mixon or Bernard (I like Bernard more than most folks do).

If you want to go back to the pre NFL just pure talent draft evaluations I had Anderson and Justice Hill as players who I ranked similar to Montgomery, Jacobs, Sanders. Darrell Henderson was the only RB I thought was better than this group who I considered the best of this draft class.

I do not know all the details about his injury or concerns about him. I only know that Anderson looked like a great RB when watching him. As good as any RB from this draft class. He was a 6th round pick. That does not add up to the level of ability I think he has. So the only reason I am aware of for him being drafted so late is that there are serious injury risks involved with him.

Where are you getting the idea I dont like Rodney Anderson?

I have stated in this thread that I think Rodney Anderson is a tier one RB an equal to Mixon or Bernard (I like Bernard more than most folks do).

If you want to go back to the pre NFL just pure talent draft evaluations I had Anderson and Justice Hill as players who I ranked similar to Montgomery, Jacobs, Sanders. Darrell Henderson was the only RB I thought was better than this group who I considered the best of this draft class.

I do not know all the details about his injury or concerns about him. I only know that Anderson looked like a great RB when watching him. As good as any RB from this draft class. He was a 6th round pick. That does not add up to the level of ability I think he has. So the only reason I am aware of for him being drafted so late is that there are serious injury risks involved with him.
My bad   For the record, I didn't know this post existed and recently started another thread   I actually started to read a few pages and didn't see to much relevant type stuff   Certainly not current even in title  Hell it's nice to see someone else speak somewhat highly of the guy     

My bad   For the record, I didn't know this post existed and recently started another thread   I actually started to read a few pages and didn't see to much relevant type stuff   Certainly not current even in title  Hell it's nice to see someone else speak somewhat highly of the guy     
I was getting some grief for this in the Sanders thread because I thought other RB like Anderson may be better than him.

I was getting some grief for this in the Sanders thread because I thought other RB like Anderson may be better than him.
Dude listen   I been wrong on some players  Big time   Enough so that it doesn't matter when I'm right  There's actually another thread going right now about age some players "break out" being 26/27 yr's old   It happens ya know  Honestly I was just coming across mean because I felt you were attempting to belittle my thoughts on Rodney  For instance, an injury to Sony and Coach B could make Bernard a star for yr's   (btw) games on NFL Network right now

What does an injury to Sony and an injury to coach B have to do with Bernard?
"man get up off that big purple thing"

Head Coach Belichick can respect several nuances associated w/ veteran players  Cost savings appears to be a huge predicator   (Biabreakable recently spoke of a team-friendly contract)  Sorry if my post confused you all that much  It most certainly was not directed at you personally  I actually have you blocked and am only able to see the gibberish nonsense if I'm viewing the site on my phone...

"man get up off that big purple thing"

Head Coach Belichick can respect several nuances associated w/ veteran players  Cost savings appears to be a huge predicator   (Biabreakable recently spoke of a team-friendly contract)  Sorry if my post confused you all that much  It most certainly was not directed at you personally  I actually have you blocked and am only able to see the gibberish nonsense if I'm viewing the site on my phone...
I still dont understand why Bernard would be an injury to coach B and Sony away from being a star for years. 

They play on different teams and an injury to coach B has no relevance to the rb position 

and why is this in the Anderson thread?

I have an extremely hard time understanding you. perhaps if you used some punctuation and stayed on topic that might help. 

Users who are viewing this thread