What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Austin III, PIT (1 Viewer)

Memphis WR Calvin Austin was named the top wide receiver on the National team during the player-of-the-week awards ceremony at the Senior Bowl this Friday.

Austin (5'7/162) was a matchup nightmare all week in 1-on-1's, as his short-area twitch allowed him to manipulate defenders easily. Listed at 5-foot-9 throughout college, Austin measured in at just 5'7 but went on to excel on the field despite his diminutive stature. A very productive wideout in college, Austin has posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons while earning a strong 85.2 receiving grade this year according to PFF. His skillset is more advanced than last year's slightly built second-round wide receiver, Tutu Atwell, who has struggled to see the field in LA. Austin should land in the Day 2 range and be more productive than the disappointing Atwell.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Feb 4, 2022, 5:56 PM ET

NFL Network's Ben Fennell compared Memphis WR Calvin Austin to current Buffalo Bills WR Isaiah McKenzie.

The comparables between Austin (5'7/173) and McKenzie are incredibly comparable. The two are nearly similar in regards to height, weight, and speed and the playstyle draws comparables as well. Austin was a two-time high school state champion in the 100, 200, and 400 meters in Tennessee and it shows on the field. An easy way to project Austin on the field early on is how the Bills use McKenzie with some manufactured touches, passes in the quick game, and as a returner while he develops into a well rounded receiver.

SOURCE: Ben Fennell

Feb 10, 2022, 5:58 PM ET

Memphis WR Calvin Austin posted a 11'3 broad jump at the combine.

That ranks in the 98th percentile. Austin (5'7"/173) obviously won't wow you with size, so he needs outstanding athletic testing to make up ground and this is a fantastic start. He's also expected to impress in the speed and agility drills, and if this is any indication of his explosiveness he's in for a great day. 

SOURCE: Marcus Mosher on Twitter

Mar 3, 2022, 5:28 PM ET

Memphis WR Calvin Austin ran a 4.32 40-yard dash on Thursday at the combine.

Austin (5'7/173) has had one of the best combine performances in some time. After jumping out of the gym in both the vertical and broad jump, those numbers translated directly to the 40-yard dash. At 4.32, Austin has put himself in prime position to potentially make a first-round push, not too dissimilarly to Elijah Moore last year.

SOURCE: Ian Cummings

Mar 3, 2022, 6:13 PM ET

Memphis WR Calvin Austin compares similarly athletically to Kansas City WR Tyreek Hill.

Every year, someone compares Tyreek Hill to a receiver in the draft class. Nearly every time, it's relatively absurd. This one is interesting because it's not an onfield comp but rather as an overall athlete per RAS. Austin (5'7/173) and Hill both tested in the 90th percentile or higher in every athletic test and both have dynamic speed. Austin is quicker out of the blocks with a 1.44 10-yard split to Hill's 1.50, but Hill was faster in the 40-yard dash running a 4.29 versus Austin's 4.32. It would be unfair to expect Austin to be Hill, but the fact that their athletic profiles are similar will be intriguing to teams across the league.

SOURCE: Kent Lee Platte

Mar 18, 2022, 12:04 AM ET

Memphis WR Calvin Austin wasn't just a team standout, he was one of the biggest standouts in the conference over recent history.

Austin (5'7/173) was superb as both a pass-catcher and a special teams playmaker in a way that caught the nation's attention despite Memphis being a smaller school. According to Pro Football Focus, Austin's 86.6 grade was the highest among conference wide receivers from 2019 to present day. Austin is currently mostly projected to be selected in the second or third round of the event.

Apr 12, 2022, 2:14 PM ET

Steelers selected Memphis WR Calvin Austin with the No. 138 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Austin (5'8/170) is lighting quick, blazing 4.32 at the Combine and stunning with a 6.65 3-cone. Austin's diminutive size could create problems for him at the NFL level. , but if his athleticism is elite enough to make up for it, he could be an impressive playmaker. In his final two seasons at Memphis, Austin posted 2,202 yards and 19 TDs in 23 total games. That was good for a 32% yardage share and a 33% TD share, with Austin earning first-team All-ACC honors in both seasons. Despite his size, Austin was an outside wide receiver playing 91% of his snaps out-wide as a senior. He profiles as an undersized deep threat who could eventually see more work out of the slot, in the mold of Darnell Mooney. After already spending a second-round pick on George Pickens, the move to acquire another wideout is strange. Barring the team doing something radical like trading Chase Claypool, Austin will be buried on the depth chart in his rookie season.

Apr 30, 2022, 1:46 PM ET

I grabbed him as a late 4th back in May. Thought was he's a potential DJ replacement as DJ was at the time potentially headed to free agency. Johnson has since resigned, and with Pickens - a higher pick, shining the way he is, plus Claypool's presence, it's hard to imagine Austin really having a big time role for fantasy purposes in the near future. Having said that, for where he is going and the Steelers history of hitting on most WRs they draft, he's clearly still worth a stash.

Steelers WR Calvin Austin's practice window to return from injured reserve closed, ending his season.​

Austin was placed on injured reserve with a foot injury he suffered in Pittsburgh's first preseason game. He was designated to return three weeks ago but was unable to get healthy in time. The fourth-round speedster will miss the entirety of his rookie season. With rumors of a Chase Claypool trade swirling, Austin could step into a starting role in 2023.
Oct 26, 2022, 4:44 PM ET

Call me a fool but I’m holding. At least until camp. I hope he’s healthy. I became convinced that he’s special last year during camp. They didn’t draft a wr.. Robinson is veteran depth buying time.
I think Austin has some talent, but Steelers' OC Matt Canada was downright awful last season. Perhaps it was by design as Pickett cut his teeth. I sure hope so.

Call me a fool but I’m holding. At least until camp. I hope he’s healthy. I became convinced that he’s special last year during camp. They didn’t draft a wr.. Robinson is veteran depth buying time.
Austin has a unique skill set compared to the other WRs on the team. Not sure he'll get above #4 WR, but there is certainly upside if he does. Probably depends a lot of how much Robinson has left, and if Pickens take a step forward, and neither of those are locks.

I do wonder if the Steelers run a lot more 2-TE sets after drafting Washington, can Austin play outside?

Same here. I’ve got him on my roster in a couple of leagues. The post-draft hype has faded in favor of the newer flavor of the month rookies, but never got to see him because of the injury — not like he was a guy that was healthy all year and could not make his way on the field. Willing to hold a roster spot and give some more time.

Austin has a unique skill set compared to the other WRs on the team. Not sure he'll get above #4 WR, but there is certainly upside if he does. Probably depends a lot of how much Robinson has left, and if Pickens take a step forward, and neither of those are locks.

I do wonder if the Steelers run a lot more 2-TE sets after drafting Washington, can Austin play outside?
I think this is almost a lock. Been mentioned several times already they view Washington as a 6th offensive lineman. Last year Gentry played almost half of all offensive snaps, most of those coming in 12 personnel groups. I think the offensive identity is going to be a run first team in an effort to set up the play action pass. I'm personally not high on any of their WRs this year.

I think this is almost a lock. Been mentioned several times already they view Washington as a 6th offensive lineman. Last year Gentry played almost half of all offensive snaps, most of those coming in 12 personnel groups. I think the offensive identity is going to be a run first team in an effort to set up the play action pass. I'm personally not high on any of their WRs this year.
Except Canada doesn't really use play action

100% correct and more than fair statement. And when he has the past few years, it's seems he only has two plays for it in the whole book; both being roll outs to the flats.

Matt Canada should have been canned. Quick trivia. The Steelers finished 23rd in the league in points per drive. What do the 9 teams that finished lower than them have in common? They fired their OC and/or play calling HC. Sorry, fan rant over.

I suppose I'm saying what logic screams at me they should be doing, and ignoring Canada's ineptitude. But either way, both scenarios still don't look great for any of their WRs though.

You know, its funny when a player is so ubiquitous with one team, you just start seeing them everywhere. I read "Been mentioned" as Ben mentioned, and just immediately was like, "well Roethlisberger would know."

Anyway, if they do run more 2-sets and Canada discovers play action, I think Diontae Johnson could be a bit of a bounce back WR. I feel pretty safe saying his 0 TD season was a complete fluke, but his 147 targets weren't. Feels like a decent value as a WR3 in round 7.

You know, its funny when a player is so ubiquitous with one team, you just start seeing them everywhere. I read "Been mentioned" as Ben mentioned, and just immediately was like, "well Roethlisberger would know."

Anyway, if they do run more 2-sets and Canada discovers play action, I think Diontae Johnson could be a bit of a bounce back WR. I feel pretty safe saying his 0 TD season was a complete fluke, but his 147 targets weren't. Feels like a decent value as a WR3 in round 7.
DJ is still a high end WR2 if not a WR1. He won't have a lot of TDs because he team is unlikely to score many, but he should get 6ish. I would project him for 100-1100-6

For real? How does that guy have a job?

Wow I didn't realize his value dipped that far been so focused on dynasty rookie drafts recently. Yeah that's a solid value for Diontae for sure (y)

The Steelers are slow to fire, especially their guys, but he is objectively terrible. They run some of the lowest rates of presnap motion and play action of anyone. You could take a weekend seminar on developing offense and know they need to do more of both.

I want to circle back to the original post if this diatribe by me. You do not need to run very often or even very effectively for play action to help your offensive efficiency

The Steelers are slow to fire, especially their guys, but he is objectively terrible. They run some of the lowest rates of presnap motion and play action of anyone. You could take a weekend seminar on developing offense and know they need to do more of both.
I honestly don't know too much about it. Why was he hired in the first place?

He was hired

I honestly don't know too much about it. Why was he hired in the first place?
As QB coach and promoted to OC. However, he hasn't really been in Pittsburgh long. He is mostly a college guy. He was at Pitt at one point as OC

NFL Network’s Gregg Rosenthal believes Steelers WR Calvin Austin “could claim substantial snaps in the slot.”
As Rosenthal mentions, Austin seeing significant work in the slot is likely contingent on the offseason acquisition of Allen Robinson not working out. Austin has received his fair share of buzz throughout training camp, as the second-year receiver has sprinkled in with the first-team offense at times. Austin’s 2022 was lost to a foot injury that sidelined him before Week 1, but the former fourth-round pick has speed to burn, boasting a 4.32 40-time. A starting slot role could make Austin an intriguing stash in deep PPR leagues, but he’d still be competing with Diontae Johnson, George Pickens, and Pat Freiermuth for targets in an offense that is expected to be rather run-heavy.

Looks like Calvin Austin still has his speed after losing 2022 to a foot injury.

96 all purpose yards including this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgwrTNN0PMw&pp=ygUQY2FsdmluIGF1c3RpbiB0ZA==
Nice, but I can't help but think that is going to be a very low % route after Labor Day.
Could be. Devils advocate he had 23 yards on 2 jet sweeps, and 4.32 is 4.32 in August and October.
Electric player for sure but his 4.32 isn't the issue.

The Athletic’s Mark Kaboly reports Calvin Austin “probably had the most eye-opening camp of (any Steelers receiver).”
Kaboly’s assessment comes from an article where he also labels George Pickens a camp winner and barely mentions Allen Robinson. “To his credit, Austin took a potential bit role and has expanded it into a place where OC Matt Canada has to be thinking about using him more,” Kaboly observed. “It has come from more than the slot.” It’s not the first time Austin has drawn summer praise. At this point, he looks like something of a favorite in the slot, which could force declining veteran Robinson out of three-receiver sets.

Robinson is still living off of one good season like seven or eight years ago now. I can't believe how many chances that guy keeps getting. CAIII bring way more to the table at this point as a deep threat compliment to Pickens and Johnson.

Calvin Austin caught 6-of-6 targets for 37 yards in the Steelers’ Week 1 loss to the 49ers.

Most of Austin’s production came with the Steelers in desperation, unsuccessful comeback in the second half after Diontae Johnson departed with a hamstring injury. It was still a nice day for a wideout who drew a considerable amount of training camp hype. Perhaps he could develop some PPR-based fantasy value, but he will not be worth betting on against the Browns’ stout pass defense in Week 2.

- Rotoworld

Pickens picked up a hammy issue today. Does it elevate the need to grab this guy off waivers? 4.32 speed is nice 🏎️
I think he's a good stash if you can fit him. Sauce Gardner said Austin was the hardest guy to guard for him in College. This is exactly like the puka vs Jefferson debate. Guppies are going to grab Robinson(even though like Jefferson we know they are trash cans) and the sharks are going to grab Austin this week. After Johnson went down Austin was in on every two wide sets. Don't battle the guppies for Austin on the wire next week, grab him for free where you could use a wr.

Pickens picked up a hammy issue today. Does it elevate the need to grab this guy off waivers? 4.32 speed is nice 🏎️
I think he's a good stash if you can fit him. Sauce Gardner said Austin was the hardest guy to guard for him in College. This is exactly like the puka vs Jefferson debate. Guppies are going to grab Robinson(even though like Jefferson we know they are trash cans) and the sharks are going to grab Austin this week. After Johnson went down Austin was in on every two wide sets. Don't battle the guppies for Austin on the wire next week, grab him for free where you could use a wr.
Robinson lead the team in targets. He is the guy to own while DJ is out. DJ might be back net week, so there shouldn't be any battle for anybody next week.

With DJ on IR, i feel kinda good with my sneaky pickup this past week! hoping he gets some targets tonight. I am rolling with him over Coop

Taking a shot. It seems sort of like Mims in that the opportunity is cloudy, but both players seem like the sort of player that a struggling offense would want to get more involved.

And if there's any team to trust on late round WR draft picks, it's the Steelers.

Users who are viewing this thread