What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: TE Devin Asiasi, Patriots (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein wrote that UCLA TE Devin Asiasi has "future TE1 potential" at the next level.

Asiasi (6'3/260) wasn't used as a pass catcher all that often at the start of his career, but a transfer from Michigan to UCLA paid off for the tight end. Last season he caught 44 passes for 641 yards and one touchdown, giving the Bruins a viable threat at the position. In order for Asiasi to develop into a starting tight end at the next level, there are a couple areas where he'll need to get better per Zierlein. "He needs to work on eliminating bad weight and improving his technique as an in-line blocker, but his athleticism and speed really stand out in space, Zierlein wrote. He's a threat in the seam and with deep corners and over routes in a play-action based attack."

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 12, 2020, 5:01 PM ET

UCLA TE Devin Asiasi ran the 40-yard dash in 4.73 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Asiasi (6'3/257) recorded 16 reps on the bench press to start out his testing process before registering a ho-hum 40-yard dash. It was an interesting run, as NFL Media's Lance Zierlein is actually keen on Asiasi's overall athleticism and speed quotients -- perhaps the difference between play speed and context-less sprints. Zierlein believes that Asiasi could develop into a starting tight end in the NFL if he can continue to develop.

SOURCE: Tom Downey on Twitter

Feb 27, 2020, 5:46 PM ET

Patriots traded up with the Raiders to select UCLA TE Devin Asiasi with the No. 91 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

The former No. 3 tight end in the country behind Lions' Isaac Nauta and Giants TE Kaden Smith, Asiasi (6'3/279) was a one-year starter in coach Chip Kelly's high-octane offense before electing to forego his senior season and enter the draft. A silky route runner who's reliable in traffic, Asiasi averaged over 15.0 yards per catch and, more to the point, 14 plays of 20-plus yards with the Bruins the past two seasons. His poor blocking technique forced UCLA's coaching staff to 'hide' him either off-ball or in the backfield in heavy personnel, but his surprising wiggle at the top of routes should prove to be a mismatch against nickel defenders as a receiver. “He’s one of those dumpy-body looking guys that makes you think he isn’t athletic, but he is,” one scout said. Asiasi projects to dominate reserves in preseason but will need to improve his blocking to realistically be viewed as an every-down threat. There are targets for the taking in the Pats' revamped tight end room. 

Apr 24, 2020, 11:15 PM ET

Bill Belichick called UCLA coach Chip Kelly during the third-round of the 2020 NFL Draft "for last-minute assurance" before selecting TE Devin Asiasi, per Jeff Howe of The Athletic.

In fact, Belichick was so comfortable with Asiasi's evaluation that he traded an extra fourth-round selection in order to move up and secure the former Bruin. The final homework likely was tied to a suspension Asiasi faced during the first three games of the 2018 season. Kelly, however, stated the tight end "never had an issue post-that." With the massive changes this offseason to the Patriots offense, Belichick and Josh McDaniels seem to be reverting back to the dual tight end wonder years, investing two Day 2 selections at the position. Both Asiasi and Dalton Keene profile as athletic pass catching prospects.

SOURCE: The Athletic

May 13, 2020, 2:38 PM ET

Quality value pick in rookie drafts and startups.

I don't see the superstar ceiling because Asiasi does not have top tier explosiveness, but he's quite a good TE. Solid frame with some nice movement for a bigger player. Enough speed to beat coverage and quality route running ability. He's more fluid than sudden, but he should develop into a solid pro starter.

I can see him being a Crumpler/Owen Daniels level performer in the NFL.

Quality value pick in rookie drafts and startups.

I don't see the superstar ceiling because Asiasi does not have top tier explosiveness, but he's quite a good TE. Solid frame with some nice movement for a bigger player. Enough speed to beat coverage and quality route running ability. He's more fluid than sudden, but he should develop into a solid pro starter.

I can see him being a Crumpler/Owen Daniels level performer in the NFL.
Crumpler is who he immediately reminded me of.

Asiasi is one of those guys whose athletic testing doesn't do his athletic ability justice.

Good situation, too.

The kid has a great opportunity especially since the Pats traded up for him and his college Coach is one of BB's boys...it is really amazing how bad the Patriot TE's were last year and you could see it coming in the pre-season...it usually takes some time for young TEs to put up numbers but if this kid is legit he could so something as the path is pretty clear for him.

The kid has a great opportunity especially since the Pats traded up for him and his college Coach is one of BB's boys...it is really amazing how bad the Patriot TE's were last year and you could see it coming in the pre-season...it usually takes some time for young TEs to put up numbers but if this kid is legit he could so something as the path is pretty clear for him.
Keene may be the better choice.

Keene may be the better choice.
Asiasi will be their Y unless he disappoints.

Keene, while a good athletic tester, doesn't necessarily show it on the field. He does have decent raw skills, but is best suited as an H-back & will almost certainly be cast that way for the Pats (limiting his opps).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had moved him up to TE1 for this class before my rookie drafts started but I was still surprised to Asiasi go as TE1 in majority of my rookie drafts so it was not a novel or out of the box idea.

Some reasons I moved him up to  TE1.

His game videos. I'd read a few times pre-draft about him being a sleeper, possible TE1 in this class, etc,etc. But I was a little lazy on my TE pre-draft scouting this year due mainly to unexciting billing of the class and I had never dialed up Asiasi video's until the night he was drafted. I was hooked  pretty quickly.  His smoothness really jumps out at you, good catch radius,  showed a lot of overall athleticism and his lower body/base is massive. Looked a lot more athletic to me on tape then his combine numbers.

But one of  the reasons I put him at my top TE is his ability to produce now and really it's past his ability to produce it's just being on the field helps you get a look at him and in those FFPC type short rosters that chance for evaluation is huge.

So I get rookie TE's don't normally produce, I sure don't go into a season counting on one and that's in a normal non-Covid year.  But it happens and  I've not done a deep dive on this  in terms of looking up data but I think it happens in spurts during a lot of these rookie TE's season just very infrequently over 16 games.Similar for WR's but a little more productive for them.

As an example, and no I'm not saying Asiasi or Keene deserve to be compared to Gronk or Hernandez, plus no Brady, etc, etc, but stay with me as an example of what I'm talking about. Aaron Hernandez rookie season he's a TE1 weeks 1-8. He's got 34/436/2 after 8 games then made some on field mistakes, got banged up, slowed down a bit. Gronk does not do a lot those first 8 weeks while Hernandez is off to a hot start but he basically gives you TE1 numbers the second half of the season.

An example off the top of my head of a rookie TE getting limited off-season. Jordan Reed had a knee injury early in camp and missed almost all of training camp. I don't recall his level of participation in other offseason work but a rookie TE missing training camp seemed like he had no chance. He only made it 9 games that year but gave you borderline top 5 TE numbers.

Could dig up all kinds of rookie TE's who had stretches where they got it going as rookies. I think the list is longer then people would think because so few do it over a whole season.

So I like what I saw of Asiasi's video's, based purely on video it would difficult for me to separate him or Trautman. Trautman looks pretty awesome but the comp is hard to evaluate. Kmet's athleticism does not pop, which is fine,  he's a huge dude who is super young and probably going to get bigger plus not playing two sports and focused on just football he has a lot of growth as a player.  But the biggest issue I had with his video, and it was not really his fault, but he was just so wide open so often.

But for me one of the things I used to separate them was Asiasi's path to playing time and lack of overall team competition to grab a sizeable role. I'm becoming more and more of a believer that TE is a heavily scheme impacted position and I think all of these schemes are fairly TE friendly.  Again I drafted all 3 of them in various leagues and really had no interest in any other rookie TE.

His ADP is skyrocketing and I’m not sure it’s justified. This is coming from someone who had him a lot higher than most in the predraft process. Something is wrong when this guy is going in the 2nd and Dalton Keene is going at the end of drafts. Yes, I am aware that they essentially play two different positions. 

His ADP is skyrocketing and I’m not sure it’s justified. This is coming from someone who had him a lot higher than most in the predraft process. Something is wrong when this guy is going in the 2nd and Dalton Keene is going at the end of drafts. Yes, I am aware that they essentially play two different positions. 
What’s his ADP now?

Can’t imagine it’s higher than mid-late 2nd in this class.

I'm seeing 40.1 as the 3rd (at best) or 4th (at worst) rookie TE taken.

Tex
Yeah, I didn’t think it was too high yet.

40 seems low, though. I think Asiasi starts being a steal in the early 30s. I suspect his ADP will slowly rise into the late 2nd.

I’m fully on board, especially at his ADP.

He’s an eyeball guy for me. His athletic testing doesn’t stand out & his production is modest. In fact, nothing about him stands out other than my eyeball evaluation.

That said, Asiasi has late-bloomer dynamics to his credit. He looked like a potential stud towards the end of the season last year.

What’s his ADP now?

Can’t imagine it’s higher than mid-late 2nd in this class.
I've done 8 rookie drafts and 6 of them are TE premium. 

In the 6  TE premium drafts of mine he went 3.1(1), 3.3(2) , 3.3(1), 3.11(2). 3.12(2) and 4.1(3). The number in parenthesis is where he went relative to rookie TE's.

In my two single PPR leagues he went 3.11(1) and 4.10(2).

I've done 8 rookie drafts and 6 of them are TE premium. 

In the 6  TE premium drafts of mine he went 3.1(1), 3.3(2) , 3.3(1), 3.11(2). 3.12(2) and 4.1(3). The number in parenthesis is where he went relative to rookie TE's.

In my two single PPR leagues he went 3.11(1) and 4.10(2).
Yep. Big-time steal.

Yep. Big-time steal.
After checking on that data I'm feeling I at least got good value because I drafted him 3 times and it was the 3.11, 3.12 and 4.1 and all in the  TE premium leagues. I had not realized until responding to your post I got him the latest times he went.

But what is surprising is to me is you see in only one of my 8 drafts he was rookie TE3 and still lasted that long in a lot of TE premium drafts. A lot of factors led to people really laying off TE this year in rookie drafts more then normal. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but I can't remember a TE picked as early as Kmet lasting till mid 3rd into 4th round of TE premium drafts.

Some of those factors which led to rookie TE's dropping this year was depth at WR, mad dash for RB's and in a lot my leagues Hayden Hurst and/or Gronk were available and in a few Blake Jarwin as well. I was not in a draft were Hurst or Gronk did not go before any rookie TE if they were available and Gronk was available in all but one and Hurst in all but two.

Asiasi’s problem early on may have been extra weight, but he’s really done a good job with his physique, which no doubt adds to his athletic ability.

Asiasi’s burst doesn’t line up with his athletic testing. He seems to be a natural receiver with good hands, as well. Some blocking upside, too.

Might be fluff, but his trainer is raving about his upside as an athlete. That could be very important, especially if you believe he’s one of those guys who’s good at football (as his play seems to suggest).

After checking on that data I'm feeling I at least got good value because I drafted him 3 times and it was the 3.11, 3.12 and 4.1 and all in the  TE premium leagues. I had not realized until responding to your post I got him the latest times he went.

But what is surprising is to me is you see in only one of my 8 drafts he was rookie TE3 and still lasted that long in a lot of TE premium drafts. A lot of factors led to people really laying off TE this year in rookie drafts more then normal. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but I can't remember a TE picked as early as Kmet lasting till mid 3rd into 4th round of TE premium drafts.

Some of those factors which led to rookie TE's dropping this year was depth at WR, mad dash for RB's and in a lot my leagues Hayden Hurst and/or Gronk were available and in a few Blake Jarwin as well. I was not in a draft were Hurst or Gronk did not go before any rookie TE if they were available and Gronk was available in all but one and Hurst in all but two.
I’m down on Kmet, but really like Trautman & Asiasi. Got both in my rookie draft at good value (but not as late as their actual ADP).

I didn’t mind this TE class, at all. Like you said, the circumstances of this particular year made it easier to acquire Asiasi (& Trautman).

Iceman03 said:
I remember Hernandez going well ahead Gronkowski in 2010 rookie drafts, on the assumption that Gronkowski was going to function primarily as a blocker and Hernandez as a receiver. I think there's probably a lesson there in accepting that we know less than we like to think about how players will transition to the NFL.  Given their similar draft position by the same team, one of these guys going multiple rounds ahead of the other seems like overconfidence in our ability to predict the ultimate outcome. 

Well, maybe his ADP is skyrocketing after all.

Asiasi went 17 overall in my son's dynasty league & it's not TE premium.

Kmet & Trautman still on the board at 3.1 (25).

Well, maybe his ADP is skyrocketing after all.

Asiasi went 17 overall in my son's dynasty league & it's not TE premium.

Kmet & Trautman still on the board at 3.1 (25).
Wow, that was a horrible reach.  Looking at 5 of my leagues he went 3.09 (33) in two leagues, 2.11 (23) in one, 3.10 (34), in one, and 3.07 (31) in another.

Wow, that was a horrible reach.  Looking at 5 of my leagues he went 3.09 (33) in two leagues, 2.11 (23) in one, 3.10 (34), in one, and 3.07 (31) in another.
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when he told me.

Maybe the team was stuck & wasn't able to trade down, but that's real early. Many years, it might even make sense, but not in this class.

Love Asiasi as a 3rd round pick in rookie drafts. Risk/reward ratio is fantastic in the 3rd. Walker signing with the Pats would probably put a damper on his production right away, but he's a legit FF prospect.

I actually like him better than Kmet. Trautman is my #1 rookie TE, though (dynasty). 

Love Asiasi as a 3rd round pick in rookie drafts. Risk/reward ratio is fantastic in the 3rd. Walker signing with the Pats would probably put a damper on his production right away, but he's a legit FF prospect.

I actually like him better than Kmet. Trautman is my #1 rookie TE, though (dynasty). 
Not sure I can get excited about any TE in NE right now.

4 quick-hit takeaways from days 2 and 3 of Patriots training camp

Excerpt:

TE Devin Asiasi is also enjoying some early success

He keeps popping up in the notes on Patriots.com. Here’s one note on how he’s doing: “Brian Lewerke made a nice connection with Gunner Olszewski, who worked nicely with Devin Asiasi on a combination route near the goal line. Asiasi also made a nice catch on a pass from Newton, and later Stidham connected with Mohamed Sanu as well Asiasi.”

When Matt LaCosse opted out of the 2020 season, Asiasi had practically no competition to take over the top tight end spot. The fact that he’s making catches early in camp is a good sign. But again, let’s wait to pass judgement before we see him in contact drills. A tight end has a huge physical advantage when safeties can’t be physical. Asiasi’s real test will be against a safety like Devin McCourty when they’re both wearing pads.

Patriots training camp 2020: Rookies flash in physical practice, Brian Hoyer drops a bomb

Excerpt:

TE Devin Asiasi

Even with a month to go until kickoff, Asiasi has and should continue to be considered the favorite to start Week 1. The third-round rookie displayed soft hands, sharp routes and enough ability to block in full pads. Perhaps best of all, during full-team special teams drills, he worked on a separate field with the rest of the Patriots’ best skill-position players.

@Anarchy99 - I’d be interested in your thoughts/observations on Devin Asiasi or anything you are hearing from the local beat writers.

Will this kid be one of the rare rookie tight ends that might be viable to start or have as a strong backup option this year?

@Anarchy99 - I’d be interested in your thoughts/observations on Devin Asiasi or anything you are hearing from the local beat writers.

Will this kid be one of the rare rookie tight ends that might be viable to start or have as a strong backup option this year?
NE is said to be signing two other TE's . . .Paul Butler and Alex Ellis. I had never heard of either one. Butler has not appeared in an NFL game so far and I think Ellis has like 3 receptions total.

I will post what I see about him when I see anything. Here were some Asiasi blurbs from today:

Today's Practice Notes: Both Asiasi and fellow rookie Dalton Keene seem like they’ll have the opportunity to take the reins at the tight end position without much competition.

Today's Studs: TE Devin Asiasi: Even with a month to go until kickoff, Asiasi has and should continue to be considered the favorite to start Week 1. The third-round rookie displayed soft hands, sharp routes and enough ability to block in full pads. Perhaps best of all, during full-team special teams drills, he worked on a separate field with the rest of the Patriots’ best skill-position players.

Patriots Training Camp / Who Popped: While the kicking-game period was happening, quarterbacks made their way over to the empty field briefly. They were joined for a quick throwing session by N'Keal Harry, Mohamed Sanu, Julian Edelman, James White and rookie tight end Devin Asiasi. These side sessions are the same side sessions that were often populated by Tom Brady and his top pass-catchers in years past . . . Newton hit a nicely-timed pass over the middle to Asiasi in 7-on-7 play . . . Devin Asiasi: Getting some extra time with the quarterbacks during special teams periods is a sign that the Patriots are looking to get him as many receiving reps as possible. He looked smooth catching the football and carries his 257 pounds well.

TE Devin Asiasi Is Also Enjoying Some Early Success: He keeps popping up in the notes on Patriots.com. Here’s one note on how he’s doing: “Brian Lewerke made a nice connection with Gunner Olszewski, who worked nicely with Devin Asiasi on a combination route near the goal line. Asiasi also made a nice catch on a pass from Newton, and later Stidham connected with Mohamed Sanu as well Asiasi.” When Matt LaCosse opted out of the 2020 season, Asiasi had practically no competition to take over the top tight end spot. The fact that he’s making catches early in camp is a good sign. But again, let’s wait to pass judgement before we see him in contact drills. A tight end has a huge physical advantage when safeties can’t be physical. Asiasi’s real test will be against a safety like Devin McCourty when they’re both wearing pads.

As for your question, had there been a regular offseason, Asiasi may have been the rare rookie TE to make some noise in Year One. However, all rookies have missed pretty much all of the offseason and are way behind the 8-ball this year. Even BB mentioned this recently, and there is nothing anyone can really do to make up for that. Asiasi will likely see the field the most of the TE's on the roster, but that isn't exactly saying a whole lot. Maybe he will become more of a red zone threat and get some TD's, but I don't see him piling up a lot of receptions or yardage. Of course, we don't even know who the starting QB will be (Newton is the favorite). Like I said, I will monitor how things go.

CLNS' Evan Lazar reports third-round TE Devin Asiasi is "doing it all" in Patriots camp. 

Lazar advised to "start the training camp hype train." Per Lazar, the Pats' quarterbacks are "loving targeting him between the numbers." It is best not to get too far ahead of ourselves with rookie tight ends — especially on the Patriots — but the Pats' seam need is undeniable. Asiasi has a real deal pass-catcher's profile, but his blocking will ultimately determine his rookie snaps and targets. For now, Asiasi is a purely speculative late-round pick in 12-14 team leagues.  

SOURCE: CLNS

Aug 18, 2020, 6:23 PM ET

It’s always good to hear positive reports on a rookie TE. Asiasi was a big-time steal at his earlier ADP, but I suspect it’s moving up with a bullet.

I’m curious to see what he can do this season.

It’s pretty much universal among all the beat guys that NE is giving Asiasi a ton of reps with the ones. He is the de facto TE on 7-on-7,11-on-11, side sessions, etc.  At this point it would be close to shocking if he were not the primary receiving TE this year. What that translates to may depend on who ends up at QB. As of yesterday, the feeling of many was that if they were playing a real game this Sunday, Hoyer would be the starter.

It’s pretty much universal among all the eat guys that NE is giving Asiasi a ton of reps with the ones. He is the de facto TE on 7-on-7,11-on-11, side sessions, etc.  At this point it would be close to shocking if he were not the primary receiving TE this year. What that translates to may depend on who ends up at QB. As of yesterday, the feeling of many was that if they were playing a real game this Sunday, Hoyer would be the starter.
Assuming the first bold refers to beat reporters; is the second bold the same group? I'd love to put names behind the thought that Hoyer would start, now, or ever, over Cam.

Assuming the first bold refers to beat reporters; is the second bold the same group? I'd love to put names behind the thought that Hoyer would start, now, or ever, over Cam.
Curran was one that voiced that if the season started today, based on how things have played out over the past few days, that Hoyer would be starting. There is no way he believes Hoyer will end up as the starter. From the looks of it, Hoyer hasn't made any bad decisions, hasn't thrown any picks, and cashed in on deep opportunities then they presented themselves. But he also has missed guys that were open, thrown some passes that needed to be better, and in general has played like Hoyer. Hoyer is not going to move the needle in anyone's mind.

By comparison, Stidham looked great one day but threw a bunch of picks the next two days. Newton hasn't looked great and hasn't looked terrible. Apparently yesterday they called a designed run . . . something the defense hasn't seen in practice, well, ever when Brady was there.

Bottom line, this dog and pony show will go on for a while and then they will have to start making decisions. IMO, it does not make sense to go the rest of practice up until the season starts rotating reps almost evenly among three QBs. I would guess they will unofficially anoint someone as the guy that gets the most reps working with the ones once practices become closed to the media. They may already know who that is . . . or they may not. But from what has been reported so far, no one is really winning the QB battle and standing out day after day.

That's likely bad news for Stidham, as he is the one familiar with the plays, the players, the system, and the phraseology. If he can't look leaps and bounds better than Newton coming in cold off the street, then Stidham is not going to end up starting (which many people expected Newton would start in the first place).

Evan Lazar @ezlazar

Asiasi cleared out Shilique Calhoun on a pass-blocking rep on Tuesday that had the whole TE group jacked up. He can definitely catch and block. Impressive start to camp. #Patriots
https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1296523436307734528?s=21

Matt Chatham @chatham58

Rookie TE Devin Asiasi can win at the POA in the run game against veteran defenders that know what they’re doing. That’s huge...as huge as any pass catching interest in his game. Will help him earn reps, be a full-time player.
https://twitter.com/chatham58/status/1296464033357484033?s=21

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports Devin Asiasi's blocking has "really stood out." 

That's a critical nugget, as blocking is often a rookie playing time stumbling block for tight ends, particularly those like Asiasi who are pass catchers first. Asiasi has also been earning raves for his work as a receiver, and could actually enter Week 1 with enough snaps to make some noise. In a deep year for the tight end position, Asiasi is still little more than a bargain-basement TE2 flier.  

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 24, 2020, 5:56 PM ET

Needed treatment on his foot / ankle yesterday and did not return to the practice field yesterday. LINK

Could be something, could be nothing. Not much out there on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread