What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR John Hightower, LAC (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Eagles practice observations: John Hightower shines; J.J. Arcega-Whiteside returns; Jalen Hurts the No. 2 QB?

Excerpt:

I’ve spilled a fair amount of ink already on Jalen Reagor — and rightfully so. The Eagles’ top draft pick has already flashed an impressive array of skills and doesn’t appear overwhelmed. But John Hightower, selected four rounds later, has also stood out and may have had the best day among the receivers Thursday. He was hard to handle in one-on-one drills. Hightower evaded cornerback Darius Slay’s bump at the line with a stutter-start outside release and lost him for good with a cut inside. Slay, ever the wily veteran, caught up and knocked the ball loose at the end of his run, but that was a win for the rookie. Receivers have a distinct advantage in one-on-ones, especially with double moves and long-developing routes, but it’s notable when beating one of the best man-defending corners in the NFL.

Hightower didn’t shine for just one play. He had several other grabs, the best probably a deep pull that ended seven-on-sevens. He split Slay and safety Jalen Mills on a deep post route. Mills would later downplay the catch by emphasizing the excessive amount of time quarterback Jalen Hurts had to throw — there was no rush — but you put enough of those plays on practice film and they’ll transfer over into the games. The sample is small, of course, but Reagor and Hightower look at the very least like receivers who can play on Day 1.

Last edited:
The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports rookie WR John Hightower "could move up the depth chart if Jalen Reagor (shoulder) is sidelined for an extended period."

First-round receiver Jalen Reagor is expected to miss the start of the season with a partially torn labrum. That opens up a spot as a starting receiver and Hightower could be the man for the job. McLane called him the offensive MVP of camp while noting his impressive hands and route running. Hightower profiles as an outside receiver and has the speed to out-run most corners. He posted a 4.43-second forty-yard dash and stands at 6'1. Hightower is a name to watch as a premium add off the waiver wire if he does end up starting Week 1.

SOURCE: The Philadelphia Inquirer

Aug 30, 2020, 7:29 PM ET

Already added last week right after a glowing practice review. I watched his highlights running up to the draft. Good-sized and open deep in the highlights (of course he was, they're highlights). Cross your fingers and hope for the lottery.

Eagles News: John Hightower among rookies who could surprise in 2020

Excerpt:

WR JOHN HIGHTOWER, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES. Philadelphia’s receiving unit was one of the biggest disappointments of the 2019 season. They have high hopes again this year, though, with a healthy Alshon Jeffery and DeSean Jackson, the hopeful development of JJ Arcega-Whiteside and the addition of first-round receiver Jalen Reagor. However, if recent reports out of Eagles training camp are anything to go by, former Boise State wideout John Hightower, the team’s fifth-round selection from the 2020 draft, could very well be in the mix for a chunk of targets this year. He’s not going to win many contested balls downfield, but Hightower’s sheer speed means that he can avoid those altogether on go-routes. He earned the 16th-best deep-receiving grade in college football over his final two years at Boise State while his nine deep touchdowns with at least a step of separation in that span tied for the second-most. He’s more than just a deep threat, too, as he’s also a complete route-runner. It shouldn’t come as a surprise to see him break away from Philly’s defensive backs in camp. Philadelphia got great value for Hightower in a loaded receiving class, and he’s a player who is capable of making some noise in Year 1.

I remember watching this guy's highlights from Boise State before our rookie draft, and now in watching them again, I'm impressed. He's got height and speed to burn. I don't know about the route running, and it seems people were dismissive of him in the run-up to the draft and after the draft because of draft capital, but I'm glad I took a flyer in camp on him for a buck at auction. I don't know Philly's situation perfectly, and Reagor is the logical choice to be the WR1 there, but Hightower seems to have it more together than Arcega-Whiteside. The beat writers are saying he'll have a role early, which means he's likely WR4 there right now. I'd guess that, health notwithstanding, he's behind D. Jackson, A. Jeffery, Arcega-Whiteside, and maybe Greg Ward. So maybe he's WR5. Quez Watkins and Reagor are on IR for a bit right now. 

But he's worth watching as a dynasty stash, and he seems to have a lot meet the eye. Oh, he did make the fifty-three man roster. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Eagles WR John Hightower led Philadelphia receivers in snaps in Week 3 against the Bengals. 

It didn't add up to much, as the rookie wideout ended with two receptions on three targets. Hightower also led the team's wideouts with 50 pass routes. Greg Ward, who commanded 11 targets, ran 46 routes. Jalen Reagor is going to miss the next month or so and DeSean Jackson left Sunday's game early with a hamstring injury. Hightower could be the team's WR2 for at least the next couple weeks. Ward, meanwhile, is once again the Eagles' unquestioned No. 1 receiver. Alshon Jeffrey could return for Week 5 and see an immediate role in the Eagles passing game. 

RELATED: 

Greg Ward

SOURCE: Andrew DiCecco on Twitter 

Sep 28, 2020, 9:44 AM ET

Eagles WR John Hightower was absent from Thursday's practice. 

Hightower wasn't listed on Wednesday's injury report and his ailment is unclear. Hilariously, fifth-round rookie Hightower led the Eagles' injury-ravaged receiver corps in Week 3 snaps but now not even he can get on the field. Individually, his injury is only relevant for deep-league desperados and hardcore DFS players, but holistically it means Carson Wentz could be even more short handed than initially feared.  

SOURCE: Zach Berman on Twitter 

Oct 1, 2020, 1:26 PM ET

John Hightower caught 1-of-4 targets for 50 yards in the Eagles' Week 6 loss to the Ravens. 

Hightower reeled in the 50-yarder, but had an ugly first quarter drop on what would have been a 47-yarder. It was one of a few egregious drops by Eagles pass catchers in Week 6. The rookie wideout saw four targets on the day, racking up a gaudy 130 air yards. Hightower leads the team with 413 air yards, meaning he'll continue to be a highly volatile fantasy option. DeSean Jackson's impending return to the Eagles lineup could limit Hightowers' role in the offense. 

RELATED: 

DeSean Jackson

Oct 19, 2020, 10:46 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread