What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty rookie drafts (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Who goes where? 1 thru 12.

In the past there's usually a big drop off in round 1. Where do you think that is?

I see a few tiers so far. I play only IDP, TE required so thats what I'm going on here.

1-4 are the top 4 RBs, Bush/White/Maroney/Williams. Big drop down to......

5-11 is VDavis, Leinart, Young, Cutler, Addai, Holmes, and Jackson. This tie is more liquid right now.

12-17 is Hawk, Calhoun, Lewis, Byrd, Pope, Mario Williams.

I think the next tier all depends on situation, like for Norwood, Drew, Ryans, etc.....

In the past there's usually a big drop off in round 1. Where do you think that is?
Glad someone started this thread.I guess it depends on who take a back. If the Jags, Colts, Steelers, and Pats all take one, I'd guess the dropoff is after pick 7 (4 backs, 3 QB's).

I see a few tiers so far. I play only IDP, TE required so thats what I'm going on here.

5-11 is VDavis, Leinart, Young, Cutler, Addai, Holmes, and Jackson. This tie is more liquid right now.

I think the next tier all depends on situation, like for Norwood, Drew, Ryans, etc.....
Why no Greenway?Moss probably 12 there huh? Think his bro's success could make him jump a little higher? IE some FFer giving that weight?

I think Davis should go 4 but agree he'll go 5. I could see him being good for a lllong time if he pans out. Alot of RB careers end quick.

This seems about right to me. My break-down is slightly different, but similar...1 - Bush

2 - DeAngelo Williams

3/4 - White/Maroney

5 - V Davis, assuming TE required

6-11 includes the 3 QBs, truly dependant on where they land. Any of them in Oakland might be the top QB taken. Addai, Holmes, Jackson

12-on includes the top 2 IDPs - Mario, Hawk, along with Sinorice Moss, Drew, Byrd, Lewis, Calhoun, Pope, Harrison, might include Demetrius Williams, Nance, and Hagan

Edit to add - the WR Pittsburgh drafts in either the 1st or 2nd rounds will become a top 11 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really need to see the draft first.
yeah this from the guy that has probably mocked a draft 8000 times by now :P Cmon, play along :D
Yeah but those are trying to project the draft. It's a simple process. Dynasty rankings are dependent on the outcome of the actual process (to large degree). I'll rank them, but there's unwritten "if drafted by thens" attached to every name. Rank not draft position below...

1. Reggie Bush

2. DeAngelo Williams

3. Vince Young

4. LenDale White

5. Jerious Norwood

6. Laurence Maroney

7. Jerome Harrison

8. Maurice Drew

9. Brian Calhoun

10 Joseph Addai

9 RBs and a QB. I wouldn't take another position until these players were exhausted if I had to draft before the draft.

In an IDP league, and if I had need at LB, Hawk would be in the 3rd tier. The WRs I like in this draft are sleepers. I'll pass on Holmes, Jackson, Moss...

I'm interested in Demetrius Williams, Maurice Stovall, Brandon Marshall, Martin Nance and a few others.

I'm not giddy over Vernon Davis from a fantasy perspective, but he would be #11 on that list.

never been in an IDP dynasty league

what's the deal with top CBs? They go early, well somewhat, or is it better to draft a lesser CB that'll be tested more by NFL teams?

Why no Greenway?Moss probably 12 there huh? Think his bro's success could make him jump a little higher? IE some FFer giving that weight?

I think Davis should go 4 but agree he'll go 5. I could see him being good for a lllong time if he pans out. Alot of RB careers end quick.
Moss could be in the third tier somewhere, no doubt; I'm just not as high on him. Of course its all relative to where he goes.With the LB depth in this draft (and situation, of course), I see Hawk as head and shoulders above anybody else, which is why he's the only LB I have in tier 1-3. I think a Greenway-type player would be available in round 3 or later--guys that I would put on his level Fantasy wise are guys like Ryans, Hodge, DQ, and Sims.

The surplus at LB works against Greenway, but the scarcity at DE works in Mario's favor.

Even thoug you are in my league :D and draft 5th, here is my thoughts on how I, personally, would draft each position assuming standard scoring:1.01 Bush - Easy

1.02 or 1.03 - White/Williams seem solid there. Small chance Maroney is drafted to a good enough spot to jump into 1.03

1.04 - Maroney

BIG DROPOFF IN TERMS OF VALUE

1.05 - Choice of QB or Addai or Chad Jackson. My experience is that this pick will be Addai if he gets drafted into a decent enough situation. If no, it will be Leinart.

1.06 - Leinart or Addai

1.07 - You are now into the range of top WR, QB2, or Davis. I do not like drafting TEs this high so it is either Young or Jackson. I see this coming down to need and where drafted. I will say Jackson

DROPOFF

1.08 - Young

1.09 - At this point, the choices are: QB3 (cutler), TE (davis), WR2 (Holmes), or next tier of RBs (Harrison, Calhoun, Drew, Norwood, etc.). Davis stands out at this point. It comes down to Davis or Holmes for me. Davis is special.

1.10 - Holmes is a steal here, depending on where drafted (of course)

BIG DROPOFF

1.11 - Choices are: QB3 (cutler), WR3 (moss), or RBs. I think this pick should go RB depending on where you have these RBs ranked. I like Calhoun more.

1.12 - Next RB on the list - Harrison

A very good resource is Bloom: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...=norwood++mills

what's the deal with top CBs? They go early, well somewhat, or is it better to draft a lesser CB that'll be tested more by NFL teams?
If you need to just start DB's as opposed to CB's, some rosters won't have a single cornerback. Safeties are safer bets.Corners that have more value:

Ones that double as punt returners.

Guys in Cover-2 schemes tend to get more picks.

Either way, they get about as much love in rookie drafts as defensive tackles-which is to say, not a lot.

If you need to just start DB's as opposed to CB's, some rosters won't have a single cornerback. Safeties are safer bets.Corners that have more value:

Ones that double as punt returners.

Guys in Cover-2 schemes tend to get more picks.

Either way, they get about as much love in rookie drafts as defensive tackles-which is to say, not a lot.
true about safeties and DBs, brainfart I guess.Anyway though how do you rank em'? Top CB=Top IDP CB or lesser talented CB=top IDP CB because of opportunity?

I'm not giddy over Vernon Davis from a fantasy perspective, but he would be #11 on that list.
(thanks)Why not giddy?
Supply and demand. The NFL is packed with productive and potentially productive tight ends right now. Gates

Gonzo

Shockey

Heap

Witten

Crumpler

McMicheal

Miller

Clark

Smith

Watson

Cooley

Stevens

Winslow

Troupe

Putzier

I'm probably missing one or two. I don't see a premium on TEs. It is one of the more difficult positions to learn. It isn't a big scoring position. Watson was a first round freak. He hasn't paid off (yet). I'd rather increase my chances of hitting on an RB by drafting a couple of them before looking at TEs. The supply is also rich in rookies. Davis has great tools, but what offense will he be in? If Pope goes to a high powered offense and Davis goes to a struggling team, I may prefer Pope.

I agree with most of what's been said, but not sure that Vernon Davis goes as high as projected. Sure he's a special talent and warrants a look around the 5th pick, but I think it's going to depend on TE need for a team. A good number of fantasy owners still treat TE as an afterthought, and then you have to factor in if the teams picking in the 5-12 range already have good TEs like Gates, Gonzo, Crumpler, Shockey, et. al. These teams may be reluctant to spend a first round pick on a TE, even one as good as Davis. I'd be surprised if Leinart goes after Davis in most drafts and possibly a few others like Vince Young, Holmes and Jackson unless there's a big need for a TE on a team picking there.

Also expect Sinorice Moss and several of the 2nd tier RBs to go long before some of the other TEs. Owners will look for a Marion Barber type RB before worrying about TE usually. So I see guys like Addai, Harrison, Calhoun and maybe Norwood going before any of the TEs other than Davis. One or two could even go before Davis depending on team need.

Anyway though how do you rank em'? Top CB=Top IDP CB or lesser talented CB=top IDP CB because of opportunity?

CB playing opposite of top NFL CB becomes top FF CB

One thing, re: TE value, if your league allows you to use one as flex, this is often a highly underrated option.

TEs like Heap, Cooley and Crumpler score as well as Julius Jones, Reggie Wayne, or other similar RBs and WRs, yet go much later. Just as an example (and it does depend on format) in WSL 1 (MDRU forum), Wayne was a high 3rd, Cooley a low 4th, Crumpler a 5th, while Jones went 1.14.

Granted, if you have to start 2 or 3 RBs, they obviously will be worth a bit more. But, with flex leagues, Davis is more valuable IMO than any of the WRs, and arguably as valuable as Maroney/White.

But, with flex leagues, Davis is more valuable IMO than any of the WRs, and arguably as valuable as Maroney/White.
Agreed. I'm so leery of the WRs that I would rank Davis above any of them in any TE mandatory format. He would rank with the best of them in a non TE mandatory format, but that's as much a criticism of these turd receivers as it is praise for Vernon (davidboston) Davis. ;)

Even thoug you are in my league :D and draft 5th, here is my thoughts on how I, personally, would draft each position assuming standard scoring:1.01 Bush - Easy

1.02 or 1.03 - White/Williams seem solid there. Small chance Maroney is drafted to a good enough spot to jump into 1.03

1.04 - Maroney

BIG DROPOFF IN TERMS OF VALUE

1.05 - Choice of QB or Addai or Chad Jackson. My experience is that this pick will be Addai if he gets drafted into a decent enough situation. If no, it will be Leinart.

1.06 - Leinart or Addai

1.07 - You are now into the range of top WR, QB2, or Davis. I do not like drafting TEs this high so it is either Young or Jackson. I see this coming down to need and where drafted. I will say Jackson

DROPOFF

1.08 - Young

1.09 - At this point, the choices are: QB3 (cutler), TE (davis), WR2 (Holmes), or next tier of RBs (Harrison, Calhoun, Drew, Norwood, etc.). Davis stands out at this point. It comes down to Davis or Holmes for me. Davis is special.

1.10 - Holmes is a steal here, depending on where drafted (of course)

BIG DROPOFF

1.11 - Choices are: QB3 (cutler), WR3 (moss), or RBs. I think this pick should go RB depending on where you have these RBs ranked. I like Calhoun more.

1.12 - Next RB on the list - Harrison

A very good resource is Bloom: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...=norwood++mills
:goodposting: RBs 4-7 will depend on who takes them. For example, if the Colts grab a first round RB that is pencilled in as the starter is immediately a value bordering on the first dropoff.

QBs are risky, but it is a huge risk/reward spot. For every Eli there's an Akili.

WRs are weak this year.

TEs are deep already in the NFL.

(thanks)Why not giddy?
Supply and demand. The NFL is packed with productive and potentially productive tight ends right now. Gates

Gonzo

Shockey

Heap

Witten

Crumpler

McMicheal

Miller

Clark

Smith

Watson

Cooley

Stevens

Winslow

Troupe

Putzier

I'm probably missing one or two. I don't see a premium on TEs. It is one of the more difficult positions to learn. It isn't a big scoring position. Watson was a first round freak. He hasn't paid off (yet). I'd rather increase my chances of hitting on an RB by drafting a couple of them before looking at TEs. The supply is also rich in rookies. Davis has great tools, but what offense will he be in? If Pope goes to a high powered offense and Davis goes to a struggling team, I may prefer Pope.
Very :goodposting: .This is my focus for redraft leagues - the "Big 3" of 2-3 years ago became a "Big 6 or so" last fall, but now it is way too deep a position to risk an early pick. I'm letting someone else grab Gonzo or Gates this season, and I'll take the LJ Smith and McMichaels of the world.

And yes, you missed at least one. But that will wait for my rankings :) .

And yes, you missed at least one. But that will wait for my rankings .

What rankings? Are there new ones coming out soon? That would be nice.

I really need to see the draft first.
yeah this from the guy that has probably mocked a draft 8000 times by now :P Cmon, play along :D
Yeah but those are trying to project the draft. It's a simple process. Dynasty rankings are dependent on the outcome of the actual process (to large degree). I'll rank them, but there's unwritten "if drafted by thens" attached to every name. Rank not draft position below...

1. Reggie Bush

2. DeAngelo Williams

3. Vince Young

4. LenDale White

5. Jerious Norwood :excited: :thumbup:

6. Laurence Maroney

7. Jerome Harrison

8. Maurice Drew

9. Brian Calhoun

10 Joseph Addai

9 RBs and a QB. I wouldn't take another position until these players were exhausted if I had to draft before the draft.

In an IDP league, and if I had need at LB, Hawk would be in the 3rd tier. The WRs I like in this draft are sleepers. I'll pass on Holmes, Jackson, Moss...

I'm interested in Demetrius Williams, Maurice Stovall, Brandon Marshall, Martin Nance and a few others.

My prediction for rookie drafts

1) Bush

2) White

3) Williams

4) Maroney

5) Addai

6) C Jackson

7) Leinart

8) Calhoun

9) Young

10) Holmes

11) Davis

12) Norwood

I'm struggling with the question of whether to take Vernon Davis with my 1.8 in a league where I am solid at TE with Watson and Dallas Clark. It's tough because I like to spend my picks on RBs in the 1st round and also because I like Chad Jackson and Santonio Holmes.

1. Reggie Bush - No matter who goes where, and even though he may be overhyped, Bush is EASILY the #1 pick. Do not be tempted by someone else because of situation, you will regret it. (how many of you took Michael Bennett over Tomlinson because of who drafted them?)

1 tier drop

2. Lawrence Maroney - This pick is far more dependant on situation. I would probably favor whichever of the 2-4 RB's goes to Indy. At this point my guess would be Maroney, and i think he is every bit as good as Williams and White. Although i probably dislike White the most, if white goes to Denver with the 1.15, he could very well be the pick here no matter who went to Indy.

3. Deangelo Williams - Again, this pick probably depends on team, but i think Williams is better than White. I can certainly see a scenario where White goes to Denver, Maroney to the Colts, so that may leave Williams #4, although he would look good in a Pats uniform.

4. Lendale White - Of the top 4, i like him the least on a talent perspective(although he is really close to Williams and Maroney) but like i have said 43 trimes already, depends on situation.

2 tier dropoff

5. Joeseph Adai - I think the 1.5 is a very underrated pick. Now the pick may not end up being Adai, but i have a feeling that a 5th RB will go to a very good situation. I know it doesnt seem likely, but i can see one of the following situations happening. One, Indy prefers Adai to Maroney or one of the other backs that make it to them. Two, the top 4 RB's are gone by the time the Colts pick. Or three, with team like Denver, Carolina, Jacksonville, Indy, New England, Pittsburgh, Atlanta all picking at the end of the draft, we could see a small run of RB's there. Also, the Jets, Green Bay and San Fran all pick in the early 2nd, and all could use a RB, Adai(or any other top RB) would have a good shot of being a starter picked by any of those teams.

3 tier dropoff

6. Matt Lienart - Their is only a 3 tier gap here because of the slim chance that a 6th RB might emerge, if not, the gap between the 1.5 and 1.6 might be more like 4-5 tiers. This might be the most disapointing pick in the draft, so close to a top RB, but have to settle for a guy who is in the same range as the next 5-6 players. Although i am not a big fan of Lienart, i put him here because he seems like the most logical pick. Pending team needs, i would probably prefer Jackson/Holmes/Davis here. Although again, i would take a RB here if one was available with a good shot at starting.

1 tier dropoff

7. Vince Young - I dropped one more tier here because there is almost no chance another good RB slides to this pick. The picks 6/7 - 10/11 are almost identical in value pending your team needs and where the players actually go.

8. Santonio Holmes - If you are in need of a TE, you might take Davis here, but with the depth at TE this year, and the lack of depth at WR, i prefer Holmes or Jackson here.

9. Chad Jackson - See Holmes

10- Vernon Davis - Although there is good depth at TE, this guys measurables are freakish.

11. Jay Cutler - Pending situation, i may consider him over the other 2 QB's(although unlikely)

1 tier dropoff

12. Sinorice Moss - He would probably be in the higher tier if he were a couple inches taller. I have very little concern about height, i think he has just as good a chance of being successful in the NFL as Jackson or Holmes(see Steve Smith, Santana Moss, etc.)

13. Brian Calhoun - Or any other RB that gets picked in a decent situation in the late 2nd or early 3rd round.

1 tier dropoff

14. Leonard Pope - I think he is easily the 2nd best TE in this class.

15. AJ Hawk - The top LB hands down, although i doubt i would take an IDP this early, he deserves mention here.

16. RB's - There will probably be a handful of RB's worth a shot in the 2nd round.

17. WR's - There is a pretty big group of WR's that could all end up worthy of a 2nd round choice pending where they are drafted and by who.

could someone please explain to me why everyone seems to say that they wouldnt take an IDP that high...

i hear it for rook drafts

I hear it in vet drafts

i want to hear the extended logical reasoning why people say that

i guess i want to know who drafted Shelton over Vilma as an example

could someone please explain to me why everyone seems to say that they wouldnt take an IDP that high...

I hear it in vet drafts

It's a self-fulfilling fallacy, good IDPs are always available late, because everyone drafts them late.

I hear it in vet drafts

1. because idps are the easiest position to get off the waiver wire if you do your homework. Esp dbs.2. really hard to project how successful a DE is going to be fantasy wise. Even if he is a big time DE, he might get stuck with double teams that leave him with even less of a fantasy impact than a lot of DEs already suffer from.

3. Scheme can really affect a fantasy player's output, and that can change from year to year. Look at DJ Williams, or David Thornton. Those two would be ff studs if they weren't stuck at SLB. That's why if I draft an lb early, I'll either go with a surefire stud like AJ Hawk(or Vilma, in the past), or go with a lb who is too small to play anything other than mlb.

dbs and DEs? meh. with very few exceptions those are gambles for later rounds and off waivers.

1) Bush

2) White

3) Williams

4) Maroney

5) Addai

6) C Jackson

7) Leinart

8) Calhoun

9) Young

10) Holmes

11) Davis

12) Norwood
That looks like a solid prediction. I also think that Jerome Harrison and Maurice Drew will crack the top 12 in a lot of leagues.

I hear it in vet drafts

1. because idps are the easiest position to get off the waiver wire if you do your homework. Esp dbs.I disagree that IDPs are the easiest position to get off the WW how many solid starting LBs do you find on waivers? I agree about DBs they are a dime a dozen

2. really hard to project how successful a DE is going to be fantasy wise. Even if he is a big time DE, he might get stuck with double teams that leave him with even less of a fantasy impact than a lot of DEs already suffer from.

I agree i wouldnt draft a DE early not even the top ranked one...LB is however a different beast

3. Scheme can really affect a fantasy player's output, and that can change from year to year. Look at DJ Williams, or David Thornton. Those two would be ff studs if they weren't stuck at SLB. That's why if I draft an lb early, I'll either go with a surefire stud like AJ Hawk(or Vilma, in the past), or go with a lb who is too small to play anything other than mlb.

As if scheme doesnt effect RBs WRs or QBs?

dbs and DEs? meh. with very few exceptions those are gambles for later rounds and off waivers.

1) Bush

2) White

3) Williams

4) Maroney

5) Addai

6) C Jackson

7) Leinart

8) Calhoun

9) Young

10) Holmes

11) Davis

12) Norwood
That looks like a solid prediction. I also think that Jerome Harrison and Maurice Drew will crack the top 12 in a lot of leagues.
Thanks. Holmes could drop out, Calhoun could fall and Norwood might be a little too high. Drew and Harrison will be right there as you said. I'm really trying to get a feel for whether I'll get a top 10 RB at my 2.07 pick in Z30. Based on the rookie draft ADP from last year I would, but there were also alot more WRs to take last year. I'm thinking there could be 14 RBs taken in the first 19 picks. :(

This depends so much on league format and tendencies.

My dynasty draft will probably look something similar to this:

1. Bush

2. White

3. Williams

4. Maroney

5. Addai/Calhoun

6. Addai/Calhoun

7. Drew/Harrison/Norwood

8. Drew/Harrison/Norwood

9. Davis/Holmes/Jackson

10. Drew/Harrison/Norwood

11. Davis/Holmes/Jackson

12. Davis/Holmes/Jackson

Without a doubt, No QB's will be taken in the 1st of my dynasty draft.

Why is Hawk being set so high? I see him as a Sam in the bigs - especially given his coverage skills, which ought to really hurt his production.

I hear it in vet drafts

Derick Johnson went at 2.04, Ware at 2.08 and Merriman at 2.10 last year.Lofa Totup went at 5.10 and Odell Thurman at 5.02.

Value is there later, whereas at spots like RB its much more limited.

I agree about drafting IDPs early. It doesn't usually make sense. Last year I was able to land Kirk Morrison, Justin Tuck, and Channing Crowder in the 4th-6th rounds of rookie drafts. Why use an early pick on someone like AJ Hawk when you can wait several rounds and get guys who are nearly equal in talent? The only time it makes sense to go with an IDP early is when the prospect in question is truly exceptional.

I'm sure Hawk will be a nice player in the NFL, but everyone thought the same thing about guys like Sean Taylor, Roy Williams, and Lavar Arrington. They've all become good pros, but none has warranted his hype from an FF perspective. Meanwhile, relatively unheralded guys like Tatupu, Morrison, and Briggs continue to emerge from the late rounds of rookie drafts.

The real value seems to be in the 2nd-4th round NFL draft IDP prospects. They lack the high profile of their first round counterparts, but are often nearly equal (and sometimes superior) in terms of talent.

Why is Hawk being set so high? I see him as a Sam in the bigs - especially given his coverage skills, which ought to really hurt his production.
That is the question.Put Hawk at MLB in San Fran, and I'm picking him top 10.

Put him as SLB in Green Bay, drop him to 20ish.

I hear it in vet drafts

1. because idps are the easiest position to get off the waiver wire if you do your homework. Esp dbs.I disagree that IDPs are the easiest position to get off the WW how many solid starting LBs do you find on waivers? I agree about DBs they are a dime a dozen

2. really hard to project how successful a DE is going to be fantasy wise. Even if he is a big time DE, he might get stuck with double teams that leave him with even less of a fantasy impact than a lot of DEs already suffer from.

I agree i wouldnt draft a DE early not even the top ranked one...LB is however a different beast

As if scheme doesnt effect RBs WRs or QBs?

Actually you can find lbs off waivers. Maybe not longterm ones, and not usually studs, but definitely ones to help get you through the season. But that statement I made was more for dbs really. DEs and Lbs, eh, case by case.And as far as scheme, yes it's more important for lbs than it is for rbs, qbs, or wrs imo. As long as a rb or wr has talent and can get a starting role, then they are way more valuable than most linebackers. In fact, a rb or wr with talent that is likely to get a starting gig is more valuable than most linebackers.

On the other hand, a linebacker with talent with a guaranteed shot at starting does not automatically make him a good play. If he's a SLB, his numbers will most likely suck. If he's an OLB in a 3-4, eh. Even him having the measurables for fitting those roles is a concern because the next regime can come in and view him as fitting better there, or a talented player can come along and bump him to that spot.

Personally, I have quite a few lbs relatively high on my cheatsheet this year, but that could change drastically depending on where they and offensive skill position players go.

could someone please explain to me why everyone seems to say that they wouldnt take an IDP that high...i hear it for rook drafts I hear it in vet draftsi want to hear the extended logical reasoning why people say thati guess i want to know who drafted Shelton over Vilma as an example
Because some IDP scoring systems aren't very well balanced. O players score a lot more than D players in some systems, which makes O players much more valuable (obviously, I know).Here's how our early IDPs shook out in the draft last year:2.01 Demarcus Ware, LB, DAL2.03 Derrick Johnson, LB, KC2.06 Marcus Spears, DE, DAL2.07 Kevin Burnett, LB, DAL2.14 Shawne Merriman, LB, SD3.01 Erasmus James, DE MIN3.02 David Pollack, DE, CIN3.07 Channing Crowder, LB, MIA3.08 Barrett Ruud, LB, TB3.10 Odell Thurman, LB, CIN3.11 Darryl Blackstock, LB, AZ4.01 Thomas Davis, S/LB, CAR4.02 Antrel Rolle, CB, AZ

That is the question.Put Hawk at MLB in San Fran, and I'm picking him top 10.

Put him as SLB in Green Bay, drop him to 20ish.
:hijack:Hawk would play outside in SF, as Derek Smith and Jeff Ulbrich are inside. There is a huge gaping hole opposite Brandon Moore, however.

:/hijack:

I'm sitting at #8 and would be THRILLED to get a QB there...if one is available, I will take him. Leinart is who I am hoping for. :thumbup:

I hear it in vet drafts

Derick Johnson went at 2.04, Ware at 2.08 and Merriman at 2.10 last year.Lofa Totup went at 5.10 and Odell Thurman at 5.02.

Value is there later, whereas at spots like RB its much more limited.

I hear it in vet drafts

Because some IDP scoring systems aren't very well balanced. O players score a lot more than D players in some systems, which makes O players much more valuable (obviously, I know).Here's how our early IDPs shook out in the draft last year:

2.01 Demarcus Ware, LB, DAL

2.03 Derrick Johnson, LB, KC

2.06 Marcus Spears, DE, DAL

2.07 Kevin Burnett, LB, DAL

2.14 Shawne Merriman, LB, SD

3.01 Erasmus James, DE MIN

3.02 David Pollack, DE, CIN

3.07 Channing Crowder, LB, MIA

3.08 Barrett Ruud, LB, TB

3.10 Odell Thurman, LB, CIN

3.11 Darryl Blackstock, LB, AZ

4.01 Thomas Davis, S/LB, CAR

4.02 Antrel Rolle, CB, AZ
1st i should add I only play in 16 team IDP leagues(4 of them) and the scoring in all of them is basically 2pts/tackle 1pt/assist 2 or 3pts /sack 1.5pt/pass defended 2or3pts for INTsand Secondly my point is more around the blanket statements about not drafting an IDP early...

finding guys like Leroy Hill in round 6 of a 16 team draft isnt the norm

i guess what i was also trying to say is that i see MANY teams piss away early rook picks on RBs and WRs that dont have near the sucess rate as what the top IDPs do in retrospect

and team make up sure is important too:

ie: last yr i took over a team in a 16 team league and it was a horrid team I dealt and dealt and dealt getting a total of 5 1st round picks

1.4 JJ Arrington

1.5 B Edwards

1.7 DJ

1.8 TDavis

1.10 Mike Williams

3.6 O Thurman(this part of draft went Rudd/Rolle/Thurman/Crowder/Morrison)

3.13 ASmith TE

4.14 JTuck

5.1 JBullocks

5.2 L Mitchell

players that were taken infront of those LBs CThorpe Morency FGibson Moats Clarett Gore just to name a few(no specific order)

That team had MUCHO holes as in Boss Bailey was my Best LB

anyway I made the playoffs after taking over what was the league doormat the year before...and in a 16 team league you arent finding LBs that are worth starting on the WW

I hear it in vet drafts

Here's the basics...1 main RB per team.... = 32

2-3 main LBs per team.. = 64-96

It's te ame for all the other IDP positions. There are a TON of guys scoring respectable point totals. That's why people use their draft picks looking for the next Top10 RB, QB, WR and wait on the IDPs.

I hear it in vet drafts

Here's the basics...1 main RB per team.... = 32

2-3 main LBs per team.. = 64-96

It's te ame for all the other IDP positions. There are a TON of guys scoring respectable point totals. That's why people use their draft picks looking for the next Top10 RB, QB, WR and wait on the IDPs.
That's not quite true.....There's usually 1 or 2 main tacklers on each team, so not all LBs are created equal.

I'm not a big IDP guy, but I have played enough of it to know that some Wills don't equal Sams or especially Mikes. For example, Urlacher >> every other LB on the Bears, like Zach Thomas on Miami or Jeremiah Trotter in Philly.

Users who are viewing this thread