What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY - Top 1-10 Overall Fantasy Players (1 Viewer)

Drugrunner's Alias

Footballguy
What you see before you is a Noble experiment created by the average poster of this board, for the average poster of this board. We, as Posters decided to rally together, and create a wealth of Dynasty Information this Off season for our use.

If you just stumbled into this Thread, and are interested in the whole process, the DYNASTY Master Thread can be found here:

DYNASTY Master Thread

All that is asked is that everyone that participates considers the Following:

This is for DYNASTY, that is the focus.

This Thread is simply trying to assess who the top 10 Fantasy players are in the NFL
Your information and thoughts are valued, please share them.

PLEASE INCLUDE A STATEMENT, EVEN SHORT, ON WHY YOU RANKING THEM THE WAY YOU DID.After a few days, or when the thread dies down, We will compile the results, and those top 10 players will be locked, as we move down the list to the 11-20 group.

Remember, please Add Commentary.

The Format to make it easy for me would be best if everyone posted 1-10, with Commentary out to the side. If you can do anything to set the players names out for ease of seeing, that would be great. (Example: Bold, Red, etc the players name)

Feel free to copy and Paste this format if you would like:

1. [position, playerName, Team] -

2. [position, playerName, Team] -

3. [position, playerName, Team] -

4. [position, playerName, Team] -

5. [position, playerName, Team] -

6. [position, playerName, Team] -

7. [position, playerName, Team] -

8. [position, playerName, Team] -

9. [position, playerName, Team] -

10. [position, playerName, Team] -

Thanks in advance to everyone that is helping to make this go!

Edit to add: This isn't going to just be a Dry list of the Ranked players. Feel free to comment on anyone that seems out of place, or if you just want to talk about the way a player just got ranked. Challenge each other, question, inquire, ask. Also, if after reading this Thread, the questions and comments in it, and you want to Edit your List, By all means, do so! Up until we compile the top 10, everything is in play. Don't feel you are locked into anything, feel free to be swayed by opinion, or better yet, SWAY SOME OPINIONS! :thumbup:

1. RB LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers - The Franchise. Best RB in football, and should be for awhile.

2. RB Deuce McAllister, Saints - Has many great years ahead of him.

3. RB Ahman Green, Packers - Focus of the Packers offense, and still pretty young.

4. RB Priest Holmes, Chiefs - Has fresh legs for a 30yo and plays behind best Oline in football.

5. RB Jamal Lewis, Ravens - 2,000 yard season in 2003; 20+ TD seasons in the near future.

6. RB Clinton Portis, Broncos - Super talented and young, but size and injury history scare me.

7. RB Shaun Alexander, Seahawks - Mr. Consistency, and Seahawks have a great offense.

8. RB Edgerrin James, Colts - Has returned to stud form. Should get lots of TDs in Colts offense.

9. WR Randy Moss, Vikings - Proved this year that he can do it without Cris Carter, and attitude/work ethic also seemed to improve. Will probably end up as best fantasy WR ever.

10. RB Ricky Williams, Dolphins - A lot of wear and tear over past couple years is cause for concern, but he was consensus top-2 pick a year ago, and I expect he'll be back up top in 2004.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC - You can't argue with this guys success and durability.

2. Holmes, Priest KCC - He only gets edged out by LT due to age.

3. Portis, Clinton DEN - IF he can stay healthy he is the clear #3.

4. Moss, Randy MIN - I'll take him over the following RB's.

5. Green, Ahman GBP - Coming off a big year.

6. Alexander, Shaun SEA - A TD machine.

7. McAllister, Deuce NOS - Some put him higher, but his team's inconsistency drops him for me.

8. Lewis, Jamal BAL - It is hard to argue 2000+ yds, but his knees scare me.

9. Taylor, Fred JAC - Needs to continue to stay healthy and up his TD totals.

10. Williams, Ricky MIA - This is as high as I can put him.

1. QB M Vick - So young yet so talented that he already means everything to that Falcon team. Management is committed to building the team around him and as that talent improves, so will his stats. 2. RB L Tomlinson - The best healthy young RB in the NFL is an every down multi-talented workhorse.3. QB P Manning - I cant imagine the Colts not resigning him. As long as they can do that without losing much elsewhere on offense Manning should continue to be a top QB for a long time.4. WR R Moss - The numbers he's put up so far at his age are staggering.5. RB Ja Lewis - Bounces back from injuries well and should continue as the focal point of the Raven's offense.6. RB Ri Williams - Has more to offer than Lewis but is a bit older I dont like the team situation as much.7. QB D Culpepper - Good young QB with the best WR in the game. Also has a great O-line, homefield artificial turf, and running abiliity.8. RB C Portis - Hopefully the Broncos pay him this year. Wont get as many touches as I'd like to see from my stud but can produce with less.9. WR A Boldin - Great second year WR could be something even more special. Dennis Green will help us find out.10. RB Sh Alexander - I know the other RBs on this list will committ to coming back from a serious injury. I'm not as sure about Shaun.

1. LT-amount of touches is worrisome but he should only improve as more weapons and O-Line show up2.Portis-freaking unbelievable talent! Health concerns aside this is a clear #2 back.3.McNabb-will return to form of two years ago and lead all QBs with his deadly combo of run and pass probably a reach at 3 but definitely needs to be in top 104.Holmes is somewhat of a mystery to me but his performance dictates this spot5.Marvin Harrison-there is something special about a guy who quietly goes about his business dominates his position. 6.Deuce McCallister-very capable if not chubby faced back who continues to make it happen7.Ahman Green "Batman" has me convinced that he can take over this team when Favre leaves8.Moss "The Freak" could be #1 if his head was on right and is probably a value at 89.Manning-production, production, production the 3 most important things in fantasy football10.This could go lots of ways but I'm taking Shaun Alexander here.others of note missing this 10Vick-his style of play is begging for more LB hurtingCulpepper-pure product of MossR Williams-never a big fan and think more of last year in store for usJ Lewis- lucky lucky man- he will not crack 1300 this year

1. [RB, LT, SD] - IMO, clear #1 pick, especially in a dynasty2. [RB, Portis, Den] - Young and explosive3. [RB, Deuce, NO] - See Portis4. [RB, Ahman Green, GB] - The focal point of GB's offense 5. [RB, Priest, KC Cheifs] - A monster, but going on the wrong side of 306. [RB, Jamal Lewis, Ravens] - 2,000 yards7. [RB, Alexander, Seahawks] - TD machine8. [RB, Edge, Indy] - Possiblity of him returning to 2001 form. At the 8th slot, you should take the risk.9. [WR, Randy Moss, Min] - Undoubtably the best WR in the game10. [RB, Ricky, Mia] - A top 2 pick in almost every draft last year. Like Edge, late in the 1st round, you have to take the risk of having a top 3 fantasy player.

1. RB, LaDainian Tomlinson, SD - This is exactly the kind of RB I want to build my franchise around. He's durable - started all 16 games. He's efficient - 5.3ypc. He can hold onto the ball - 2 fumbles in 313 carries. And to top it all off, he's extremely versatile - 1645 yards rushing with 13TDs, 725 yards receiving with 4TDs. What more can you ask for?

2. QB, Daunte Culpepper, MIN - In 13 1/2 games last year he managed to put up 3479 passing yards and 25TDs. Couple that with 422 rushing yards and 4 more TDs and you've got yourself the best fantasy QB in the game. He's shown that he can play through pain and also recover quickly. His 11 INTs were 4th lowest among QBs with at least 250 attempts. For those who say he's nothing with out Moss - I'd argue that, but it's not worth it. The fact of the matter is that he does have Moss as one of his weapons, so that has to factor into his value.

3. QB, Peyton Manning, IND - 5185 yards, 38TDs. Those are really hard numbers to argue with. Starting with his second year, he's thrown for over 4100 yards and 25 TDs in each season. When you add in the fact that he's done that with 1 WR (Harrison) and a RB (James) that has missed a lot of time, it makes that consistency so much more impressive. He's a student of the game and will only continue to learn more about handling situations. He didn't take many hits last year and he's got a big frame, so he could easily be around for another 10 years if he wants to.

4. WR, Randy Moss, MIN - 1632 yards and 17TDs. Moss finally kept his head on straight and in the game last year and he responded with the most yards and tied for most TDs (rookie year) of his career. He still has the speed to run past most DBs and he can also out jump most of them for the ball. He can change the game on 1 play better than anyone since Barry Sanders.

5. RB, Shaun Alexander, SEA - Finally another RB on my list! Alexander is coming off a year where he had nearly 1500 yards and 17TDs to go with almost 300 receiving yards and another 2 TDs. He's a solid young back who is in a good system for him. In his short career (3 yrs + 1 game), he's been good for at least 1100 yards and 14 TDs each season. Add in ~300 yards receiving and 2 more TDs and you have a solid, consistent RB to build around.

6. WR, Chad Johnson, CIN - I'm sure some will argue this, but that's ok - it's my list. Chad put up a solid 1355 yards and 10TDs in this his first full year as a starter. He played through some minor injuries most of the year and was still able to to over come the constant double teaming for a good year. He's very dedicated to the game and to improving his level of play. I fully expect him to continue to improve on these numbers.

7. WR, Anquan Boldin, ARI - He'd be higher on my list if he'd been a little more consistent this year. His numbers were inflated by 2 big games. That said, he was able to come into the league in his rookie season and be one of the top WRs from game 1. He did all that despite the fact that the team had no running game, no quarterback, and no other WRs to take the pressure off. I'm not sure how much he'll improve on his 1377 yards, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more than 8TDs next year.

8. RB, Priest Holmes, KC - He'd be #1 or #2 on my list if he were a few years younger and hadn't had that hip injury (seems fine now, but what are the long-term effects?). There is no arguing with his stats though - 1596 yards, 29TDs plus 722 receiving yards. I was a little surprised he didn't get into the endzone on any receptions this year, but he more than made up for it with rushing TDs.

9. QB, Michael Vick, ATL - Not a huge fan of this pick, but I think he needs to be in the top 10 somewhere. We all know about his running ability, but the fact that he's just an average QB scares me a bit. If he can develop his game to be more like a McNair or McNabb and if he can avoid the big hits, he could take his game to the next level. The Falcons seem dedicated to build around him, so that should help his case.

10. WR, Torry Holt, StL - I'm rounding out my list with Torry Holt. I think he's reached his maximum potential and I don't see him repeating what this year's figures (1717 yards, 12TDs), so I put him below Chad and Boldin. He is still young hasn't taken many big hits and is good for 1300+ yards every year. As long as he stays in the Rams system, he should be good for 1300-1400 yards and 6-9 TDs every year.

Some notable omissions from my list - a bunch of RBs, Harrison, McNabb.

I don't see many guys that are currently at the top of the RB heap that impress me long-term (McAllister, Green, Jamal, Ricky). I see those guys having a good year or two left, but I think they'll soon be on the decline.

Harrison missed out because of his advancing age compared to the other top WRs. I'm sure he'll continue to do well for another couple of years, but I'd rather build around some of the younger guys who are still realizing their potential.

I don't like the tools that McNabb has to work with right now. If they bring in TO and they can get on the same page quickly, then McNabb might break through to the bottom of this list (bump Vick out). He doesn't currently compare to a Culpepper or Manning and he doesn't have the upside that Vick does right now.

1. QB M Vick - So young yet so talented that he already means everything to that Falcon team. Management is committed to building the team around him and as that talent improves, so will his stats. 2. RB L Tomlinson - The best healthy young RB in the NFL is an every down multi-talented workhorse.3. QB P Manning - I cant imagine the Colts not resigning him. As long as they can do that without losing much elsewhere on offense Manning should continue to be a top QB for a long time.4. WR R Moss - The numbers he's put up so far at his age are staggering.5. RB Ja Lewis - Bounces back from injuries well and should continue as the focal point of the Raven's offense.6. RB Ri Williams - Has more to offer than Lewis but is a bit older I dont like the team situation as much.7. QB D Culpepper - Good young QB with the best WR in the game. Also has a great O-line, homefield artificial turf, and running abiliity.8. RB C Portis - Hopefully the Broncos pay him this year. Wont get as many touches as I'd like to see from my stud but can produce with less.9. WR A Boldin - Great second year WR could be something even more special. Dennis Green will help us find out.10. RB Sh Alexander - I know the other RBs on this list will committ to coming back from a serious injury. I'm not as sure about Shaun.
:shock: sure you dont want to include Tony Gonzalez in your top 10?

Outside of maybe Randy Moss I can't see why we have so many QBs and WRs in these lists. Oh well, to each his own. Here's mine:

1- LaDainian Tomlinson, SD The complete package.

2- Clinton Portis, DEN Over 1500 yards rushing each of his first 2 seasons. Good enough for me.

3- Deuce McAllister, NO Same skills as LT just not as durable.

4- Ahman Green, GB Hard to let him fall much further after his monster '03.

5- Shaun Alexander, SEA Should only get better, even if it is in Wash.

6- Jamal Lewis, BAL Can he continue to take a beating? Definitely for a few years anyway.

7- Priest Holmes, KC Tough to let the best FF RB slip this far, but this is Dynasty.

8- Edgerrin James, IND Starting to get back to the Edge of old.

9- Fred Taylor, JAX As Leftwich gets better Freddy will again be a fantasy monster.

10- Randy Moss, MIN No Dynasty List is complete without the Super Freak

Ricky Williams and Travis Henry would be my 11 and 12.

1) LT

2) Duece

3) Portis

4) Daunte Culpepper

5) Shaun Alexander

6) Jam Lewis

7) Peyton Manning

8) Randy Moss

9) Ahman Green

10) EDGE

Outside of maybe Randy Moss I can't see why we have so many QBs and WRs in these lists. Oh well, to each his own. Here's mine:

2- Clinton Portis, DEN Over 1500 yards rushing each of his first 2 seasons. Good enough for me.

6- Jamal Lewis, BAL Can he continue to take a beating? Definitely for a few years anyway.

7- Priest Holmes, KC Tough to let the best FF RB slip this far, but this is Dynasty.

9- Fred Taylor, JAX As Leftwich gets better Freddy will again be a fantasy monster.

I put more QBs and WRs on my list because I see those positions as giving more consistent output. I could dig up the stats, but I seem to recall someone posting on these boards how there is usually a fairly big turnaround (40%?) of RBs in the top 5 from year to year. It's my opinion that the top WRs are able to sustain their performance for longer.There are two obvious cantidates on your list that I would question for a dynasty top 10:

1) Ed James - knee problems in the past + stated desire to retire before he can't walk anymore = reduced dynasty value

2) Fred Taylor - he migth have been healthy the last few years, but the injuries surely will take a toll on his career length. In addition, the offense will likely be moving away from him running to a more balanced attack with Leftwich at the helm.

The value of stud WRs and QBs goes up in dynasty leagues because they'll play about 5-10 years longer than RBs. Also, many rookie RBs will step in and contribute immediately, while rookie WRs and QBs usually struggle.I'm not saying that I agree with these lists, but I do think that RBs are SLIGHTLY devalued in a dynasty league.

1.LT22.McCallister3.Alexander4.A Green5.Portis6.Moss7.Holmes8.Harrison9.Manning10.J LewisJust missed: Culpepper(injury risk), Vick(injury risk), Henry(playing time concern)

1. Tomlinson - young superstud2. McAllister - young stud, one of the trio of them.3. Portis - young stud, but more questions for me - product of system? Durability?4. Alexander - he falls to 7th in a lot of drafts - amazing to me.(dropoff)5. Green - sneaks ahead of Lewis because of the lack of major knee surgeries.6. Lewis - last of the young studs, but doesn't score TDs or catch the ball, and is one injury from retirement.7. Holmes - fewer carries in his career than Ricky Williams! Just too good to pass up here.(big dropoff)8. James - I had to choose here and took him over Ricky, but they're basically even.9. Williams - seems likely to break down soon and is the sort of guy who could just retire at a random time.(big dropoff)10. Taylor - wanted to say Moss, but truth is, I'd pick Taylor here. Still young, very talented, scary health though.Just missed: Henry, Moss

1. Tomlinson: Best young RB out there on a team that will only get better (can't get worse!)2. Manning: Best QB out there, still young and actually improving. He's a 30 plus TD potential for the next ten years-who esle can you say that about?3. Portis. the missed games scare me but he has all the talent and SPEED in the world4. Jamal Lewis: Still young, looked great last year and someday they will have a QB.5. Harrison: Forget every other WR in the league, he is the only guy that could actually challenge Rice's records. He is a garunteed 100 catches, 1400 yards, 10 TDs every year.6. Holmes: Could be number one, but he is older. Not alot of miles though from early in his career.7. McNabb: May be too high for him, but he is still young, and while many see Vick a the hier apparent in terms of the next great QB, McNabb is on a better team, has the taste of winning, and is not as fragile.8. Alexander; feast or famine, but he big meals outwiegh the fasts. Big dude has provien fairly resilient.9. Moss: what can you say? the only other WR I would consider putting in the top 10 is Holt but Moss is such a big play guy. Is huge in long TD leagues.10. I am not sure about the ten spot so I will throw Vick in. I consider him a liability however beacause he is a reckless runner and that leads to injury. Needs to become more of a stay at home guy, he is so young and seems to be a sharp guy, so it is likely he'll wise up some :football:

I'll add my two bits

1. Deuce McAllister, RB, New Orleans - A little bit of a surprise, but I think this guy has incredible skills, as well as the size and durability for a long career. He almost looks effortless when he runs. He can run over people or take it the distance, and he's a great receiver.

2. Ladanian Tomlinson, RB, San Diego - The most talented back in the league right now. Only thing that keeps him out of the #1 spot is I think the carry total will wear on him a little more than Deuce.

3. Randy Moss, WR, Minnesota - I'm surprised myself that I'm ranking a WR this high, but this guy deserves it. I wonder if back at the beginning of Jerry Rice's career we would have had one of these rankings, how many RBs would have been listed ahead of him. I'm not necessarily saying Moss's skills are that good, but his fantasy value is. He's been injury free, and I think he'll be a top 3 performing WR for at least the next 6-8 years.

4. Priest Holmes RB, Kansas City - Age schmage, the guy is a fantasy point machine. I think he's gold for at least another 3 years.

5. Clinton Portis, RB, Denver - I love to watch this kid run, only his brittleness keeps him from being higher up. He's in probably the most RB-friendly system I've ever seen, and I don't think he's going anywhere.

6. Ahman Green, RB, Green Bay - He showed me a lot last year. I knew he was good, but not that good. I didn't think he could carry that GB offense like he did. 15 rushing TDs really shocked me too. He doesn't seem to have any trouble staying healthy. He could easily be ranked ahead of the two guys in front of him.

7. Jamal Lewis, RB, Baltimore - The best power RB in the game. I think his two torn ACLs will eventually catch up with him though.

8. Shaun Alexander, RB, Seattle - This guy is kind of an enigma. He certainly seems very talented, but many think it's the system and not him. I'm definitely not in that camp. While I think many RBs would succeed in the Seattle backfield, I also think Alexander is very special. Another guy with a casual running style, but all he does is produce.

9. Michael Vick, QB, Atlanta - I think he is that good.

10. Ricky Williams, RB, Miami - Oh how the mighty have fallen. This time last year this guys would be top 3 on just about everyone's list. He still warrants a top 10 selection though.

sure you dont want to include Tony Gonzalez in your top 10?
Not without knowing the rules. If they were favorable to a tight end then he'd certainly be there. Its not shocking to experienced dynasty owners to see QBs, WRs, and even TEs high in the rankings. That's why others here do the same. They simply tend to have longer careers than RBs. RBs turnover quickly and it doesnt take much time for a young RB stud to develope. On the other hand if you draft veteran RBs heavily early and go with projects at other positions you could be spending a lot of bench space on players who sit there for years and never amount to anything special.

:shock:

Do you even play Dynasty?There are FAR too many RB's in most of these lists. A top flight QB on your roster that stays there for 10 years is waaaaaay more valuable than a shooting star RB. Throw in the truly rare dominating WR that comes along once in a blue moon and that's how you win dynasty. Not by taking a 30+ year old Holmes and blown ACL James as your #1 overall selection.

1. LT22. Portis3. A.Green4. S.Alexander5. D.McAllister6. R.Moss7. Holmes8. J.Lewis9. E.James10. F.TaylorDynasty League, RB's are very important. Depending on starting line-up reqs, this could vary but QB/WR aren't as important. You need to build a stable of RB, preferably younger and without injury problems.

Dynasty League, RB's are very important. Depending on starting line-up reqs, this could vary but QB/WR aren't as important. You need to build a stable of RB, preferably younger and without injury problems.
They can be reloaded through rookie drafts and FA pick ups. there seems to be plenty of young producing RB's every year.don't get me wrong, if your RB's stink you'll be hurting for years but to have 7 of the top 10 overall dynasty players be RB is just not accurate. It does help however that both Owens and Harrison are climbing up in age. I better make my list before i say any more.

1. Daunte Culpepper = been the top scoring player for years

2. Michael Vick = the man is unstoppable

3. Peyton Manning = you want consistancy at QB this is the guy

4. Randy Moss = the original freak.

5. Deuce McAllister = has it all, runs catches, moves, power

6. Donovan McNabb = he's the entire Philly Offense.

7. LaDainian Tomlinson = he dropps due to longevity. But he's just so stinkin good

8. Shaun Alexander = If the seahawks can put it together, and it looks like they have, teams won't be able to focus on him and he'll light them up. You have to love his nose for the endzone

9. Chad Johnson = really starting to dominate

10. Torry Holt = Out goes Warner in comes Bulger UP goes Holt. The decline of Bruce really puts him in the elite class of WR

Just missed:

Ahman Green

Anquan Boldin

Clinton Portis

Travis Henry

10. Ricky Williams, RB, Miami - Oh how the mighty have fallen. This time last year this guys would be top 3 on just about everyone's list. He still warrants a top 10 selection though.
from my original draft 4 years ago I have 2 guys left on my roster. Ricky and Moss. The rest have been scrapped or traded.Oh what i wouldn't have given to have grabbed Culpepper, McNabb or Manning.

1. Tomlinson - young superstud

2. McAllister - young stud, one of the trio of them.

3. Portis - young stud, but more questions for me - product of system? Durability?

4. Alexander - he falls to 7th in a lot of drafts - amazing to me.

(dropoff)

5. Green - sneaks ahead of Lewis because of the lack of major knee surgeries.

6. Lewis - last of the young studs, but doesn't score TDs or catch the ball, and is one injury from retirement.

7. Holmes - fewer carries in his career than Ricky Williams! Just too good to pass up here.

(big dropoff)

8. James - I had to choose here and took him over Ricky, but they're basically even.

9. Williams - seems likely to break down soon and is the sort of guy who could just retire at a random time.

(big dropoff)

10. Taylor - wanted to say Moss, but truth is, I'd pick Taylor here. Still young, very talented, scary health though.

Just missed: Henry, Moss
you would take the #10 RB before you would take the #1 QB or WR? Interesting

Do you even play Dynasty?There are FAR too many RB's in most of these lists. A top flight QB on your roster that stays there for 10 years is waaaaaay more valuable than a shooting star RB.
I disagree. I'm much more likely to find a QB in late rounds or the waiver wire that will produce in the top 5 in any given year than I will a RB.

I disagree too. QB's are basically a dime a dozen. Unless it is Culpepper or McNabb/Vick (when healthy) there is just as much to be said by grabbing a couple decent ones. Look at the people that waited last year and grabbed Hasselbeck, or even Farve....In the dynasty 11-20 picks I will have Culpepper for sure. In and dynasty league, it is nice to have 1 stud WR and then play a decent veteran. I am in MOXFFL 1 and we play 1 QB with 6 positional players. RB especially and top-flight WR's are worth a lot more than a small advantage you might have at QB.

you would take the #10 RB before you would take the #1 QB or WR? Interesting
I'm clearly not the only one. Zealots draft results from the past couple of weeks (they're all 53-man roster dynasty leagues with good 6 pts per QB TD):Z13: LT-Portis-Holmes-McAllister-Lewis-Vick-Ricky-Green-Alexander-Manning

Z14: LT-Portis-McAllister-Holmes-Green-Lewis-Henry-Alexander-Ricky-Edge

Z15: LT-Portis-McAllister-Holmes-Lewis-Green-Alexander-Ricky-Edge-Henry

Z16: LT-Portis-Holmes-Alexander-McAllister-Green-James-Lewis-Ricky-Moss

Z18: Holmes-LT-Portis-McAllister-Lewis-Barlow-Green-Alexander-Ricky-Edge

Z22: LT-Portis-McAllister-Green-Lewis-Holmes-Alexander-Edge-Ricky-Moss

So six drafts, and only four non-RBs among the 60 players selected.

to each their own. On my board, long lasting studs will always rank higher than flash in the pan players. That's what makes this game great. There are no guarantees. As soon as I take Moss #1 is the year he blows is ACl and all my planning goes right out the window.

Does yahoo support Dynasty leagues in their free site? It's one thing to draft in a Mock it's another to actually run a franchise. You never know how you'll fair when the results come in at the end of the year or the end of a decade.

to each their own. On my board, long lasting studs will always rank higher than flash in the pan players.
Who exactly are you calling "flash in the pan players"?? Tomlinson, Portis, Jamal Lewis, etc.???

Do you even play Dynasty?There are FAR too many RB's in most of these lists. A top flight QB on your roster that stays there for 10 years is waaaaaay more valuable than a shooting star RB.
I disagree. I'm much more likely to find a QB in late rounds or the waiver wire that will produce in the top 5 in any given year than I will a RB.
Bingo. Joffer hit the nail on the head.

I'm clearly not the only one. Zealots draft results from the past couple of weeks (they're all 53-man roster dynasty leagues with good 6 pts per QB TD):

Z13: LT-Portis-Holmes-McAllister-Lewis-Vick-Ricky-Green-Alexander-Manning

Z14: LT-Portis-McAllister-Holmes-Green-Lewis-Henry-Alexander-Ricky-Edge

Z15: LT-Portis-McAllister-Holmes-Lewis-Green-Alexander-Ricky-Edge-Henry

Z16: LT-Portis-Holmes-Alexander-McAllister-Green-James-Lewis-Ricky-Moss

Z18: Holmes-LT-Portis-McAllister-Lewis-Barlow-Green-Alexander-Ricky-Edge

Z22: LT-Portis-McAllister-Green-Lewis-Holmes-Alexander-Edge-Ricky-Moss

So six drafts, and only four non-RBs among the 60 players selected.
The starting lineup requirements (1QB, 2RB, 3WR + 1 flex (RB,WR,TE)) and scoring (no points per reception for WRs) in Zealots force RBs higher than they would be otherwise. Looking at last year's fantasy scoring in the Zealots Leagues, most of the flex players were, or should have been, RBs; i.e. the RBs in the 25-36 range outscored the WRs in the 37-48 group (although RB36 was the same as WR36).So, in essence, it's a 1-3-3 league. Start 36 RBs in a 12 team league and you'll be forced to pick RBs that high.

I actually agree that QB's and WR's are quite possibly more valuable than RB's in a dynasty league. Based on pure value alone I'd much rather have Randy Moss than Ricky Williams or Edgerrin James. RB's break down in a hurry and while those guys could see their careers end at any given moment, Moss probably has 3-4 years of total domination left in him barring freak injury. Even when he starts getting old he will probably still produce a little bit, whereas a guy like Ricky will probably be out of the league when he hits the wall.With that said, I'm not sure I'd draft Moss over any of the consensus top 10 RB's in an inaugural dynasty draft. The problem is that in order to compete in the first season or two of a dynasty league you virtually have to get at least one RB with one of your first two picks. If you don't then you're really unlikely to get the RB production that you need to win games.

I disagree too. QB's are basically a dime a dozen. Unless it is Culpepper or McNabb/Vick (when healthy) there is just as much to be said by grabbing a couple decent ones. Look at the people that waited last year and grabbed Hasselbeck, or even Farve....
BUt in true dynasty leagues, where teams keep pretty much all of their players every year, even guys like Favre and Hasselbeck usually won't be available. It's usually just rookies, and over the years RBs are the most likely to perform well in their rookie year.

it's all about scarcity. If you don't get at least 2 quality starting RBs in your dynasty league, you could be looking at a rebuilding process that takes YEARS.There are 32 teams, and usually only 20-30 quality starting RBs. If you don't find a way to get 2 of them, you're probably not going to be very successful even if you happen to have Culepper and Moss and Holt on your team.RBs are king and any quality rookie RBs will almost always go at the top of the rookie draft, so it is also the hardest position to restock.There are 32 starting QBs and only 12 teams means if you don't end up with a stud you can very easily put together a very effective QBBC and simply play matchups. There are at least 64 starting WRs and some WR3 that put up starter numbers. Even in a start 3 league, you are only starting about half of the available NFL starting WRs so they are pretty easy to find as well.I understand the idea that QBs and WRs will have increased value in dynasty compared to redraft, but that difference should have a very minimal effect on the top-10 or 1st round. You are not helping your team if you pass on the first round RBs who have the least risk potential and most upside of all RBs.I don't see how you can expect to build a team by taking guys like Culpepper (or McNabb last year) and still expect to get a quality group of young RBs and WRs that will be the foundation.I'll happily play in a dynasty league with anyone who wants to take QBs and WRs in the first 2 rounds. I'll stock up on 3 or 4 quality RBs and you'll all eventually come begging to trade one of your "franchise" players for one of my RBs eventually.Young Stud RBs are worth their weight in gold in all fantasy leagues, and joining a dynasty league shouldn't change that.

One could stock up on good, young WRs and a QB early and, since they don't have those good RBs, will finish close to the bottom the next couple years. Those years they can take top rookie RBs and will then have a team of studs for years to come ;) Actually, we had our inaugral IDP dynasty league draft last year. I took Moss, McNabb, and Ray Lewis with my first picks. My starting RBs after the draft were Kevin Faulk and Correll Buckhalter.But there always seems to be at least one surprise RB FA each year and I was able to grab Dom Davis and Anthony Thomas. Not the best, but I still ended up with the highest scoring team. :thumbup:

One could stock up on good, young WRs and a QB early and, since they don't have those good RBs, will finish close to the bottom the next couple years. Those years they can take top rookie RBs and will then have a team of studs for years to come ;) Actually, we had our inaugral IDP dynasty league draft last year. I took Moss, McNabb, and Ray Lewis with my first picks. My starting RBs after the draft were Kevin Faulk and Correll Buckhalter.But there always seems to be at least one surprise RB FA each year and I was able to grab Dom Davis and Anthony Thomas. Not the best, but I still ended up with the highest scoring team. :thumbup:
Last year in my inaugural league I took Travis Henry at 1.6 and Jamal Lewis at 2.7. Then, I later grabbed Duckett in the 4th and Domanick Davis in the 4th round of the rookie draft. So, I have 4 young quality RBs and I also traded for a couple 1st round picks in this year's rookie draft which ended up as the 1.1 and 1.3 picks. I'll add Kevin Jones to that group and have a very deep group of RBs that will allow me to be successful for a long time.OTOH, if I had Moss, Holt, Boldin, and Ward, but garbage at RB, I wouldn't feel nearly as good about my chances.I can't believe people would actually consider trading away a player like Jamal Lewis for a Daunte Culpepper. You could easily find 2 or 3 QBs that will perform just as good as a top-5 QB as long as you play the best matchups each week.

Does yahoo support Dynasty leagues in their free site? It's one thing to draft in a Mock it's another to actually run a franchise. You never know how you'll fair when the results come in at the end of the year or the end of a decade.
so do they? I say we "EXPERTS" get a free league going and all report back here in 5 years.

Last year in my inaugural league I took Travis Henry at 1.6 and Jamal Lewis at 2.7. Then, I later grabbed Duckett in the 4th and Domanick Davis in the 4th round of the rookie draft. So, I have 4 young quality RBs and I also traded for a couple 1st round picks in this year's rookie draft which ended up as the 1.1 and 1.3 picks. I'll add Kevin Jones to that group and have a very deep group of RBs that will allow me to be successful for a long time.OTOH, if I had Moss, Holt, Boldin, and Ward, but garbage at RB, I wouldn't feel nearly as good about my chances.I can't believe people would actually consider trading away a player like Jamal Lewis for a Daunte Culpepper. You could easily find 2 or 3 QBs that will perform just as good as a top-5 QB as long as you play the best matchups each week.
What does the rest of your team look like and how did you finish?

My list... (comments to follow)1aTomlinson RB SD 1bMoss WR Min3McAllister RB NO4Portis RB Den5Culpepper QB Min6Manning QB Ind7Holt WR StL8Alexander RB Sea9Green RB GB10Johnson WR Cin

What does the rest of your team look like and how did you finish?
other notables were:QB: Aaron Brooks and a bunch of garbage behind him (Couch, Boller most notable)WR: Chad Johnson, Eric Moulds, Peerless Price, Ashley Lelie, Andre Davis, Eddie KennisonTE: Randy McMichael, Daniel GrahamDL: Shaun Ellis, Andre Carter, Richard SeymourLB: Ray Lewis, London Fletcher, Mike Barrow, Napoleon HarrisDB: Adam Archuleta, Lawyer Milloy, Matt BowenI finished the regular season 12-2, with the highest scoring team, and won the championship.I thought I was in good shape at WR but other than Chad Johnson's big year, Eddie Kennison ended up as my most consistent WR as Moulds and Price were practically useless.At QB, I was high on Brooks and he was only 26 years old when I drafted him, but he was also very inconsistent.I had very good LBs including Ray Lewis which definitely helped. But, more than anything my RBs were the most important factor in my success and teams who loaded up on QBs and WRs early in the draft were not successful at all.The most significant factor at determining league success was RB performance. All playoff teams had strong RBs.

Wow, that's really good!The team that won our championship had three great RBs, but he only won because he played me in an off week. :(

Very good point, Uruk-Hai. I wish Zealots gave a point per reception to even out the flex position and make the draft a little less one-dimensional.What I really want to know is, why weren't any of these guys who put Moss and Vick in the top 10 in my draft? I really could have used a few of them to help me out, but instead I got stuck in a league where everyone drafted normally and nothing fell to me.

so do they? I say we "EXPERTS" get a free league going and all report back here in 5 years.
20 player roster;Starting roster:

1 Qb

1 RB

2 WR

1 Flex WR/RB

1 TE

1 D/ST

real easy set up and standard scoring.

What I really want to know is, why weren't any of these guys who put Moss and Vick in the top 10 in my draft? I really could have used a few of them to help me out, but instead I got stuck in a league where everyone drafted normally and nothing fell to me.
I don't know :excited: As I mentioned earlier, I took Moss and McNabb with my top two picks and lead my league in scoring :brush: I just checked and the league champion was 4th in scoring, runner-up was 3rd in scoring...

20 player roster;

Starting roster:

1 Qb

1 RB

2 WR

1 Flex WR/RB

1 TE

1 D/ST

well, no wonder you don't value RBs that highly if you only need to start 1 of them :rolleyes: sorry, but I never played in a start 1 RB league before and don't consider that to be at all standard.

as for places to set up leagues, if you are interested in just doing a mock draft, you can find some at xpertleagues.com and you could also set one up via MFL as well.

In some cases you can get the best of both worlds. If your inaugural draft includes rookies then I recommend stocking up on them once the elite talents and good sleepers are gone. Here's the team I drafted a little over a year ago to start out a dynasty league:1.04: Deuce McAllister - A solid building point2.03: William Green :bag: - This is hte only league I drafted him in. I overvalued perceived longevity here.3rd round: Traded pick4.03: Charles Rogers - A reach, but I wanted him on my team. 5.01: Chad Johnson - :cool: 6.04: Onterrio Smith - This was right after the Bennett injury. Smith didn't step up like I'd hoped, but he has some value. The bad news is I traded him before he really emerged.7.07: Chad Pennington - His injury really hurt my team, but he should be a factor next season8.06: Antonio Bryant - The jury's still out 9.04: Chris Brown - His value has skyrocketed since this draft10.04: David Carr - A good #2 for a dynasty league10.09: Santana Moss - Broke out, but I traded him before he really got it going. I don't like small WR's. I do wish I had waited until now to trade him though.11.01: Tony Hollings - A young RB with some potential is always worth having12.05: Justin Fargas - I'm confident that he'll be pretty good if he gets a chance somewhere12.09: Drew Bennett - He had his moments, but wasn't a big factor for me.13th round: No pick14.05: Teyo Johnson - Disappointed after a strong training camp, but still has potential14.09: Tyrone Calico - Has some innate skills and could be very good in time15.04: Freddie Jones - Boring TE pick16.09: Jake Delhomme - Not a bad pick in hindsight. I like how he's progressed.17.01: Josh McCown - I dropped him before the season starts, but I was right in predicting he'd eventually get a shot.18.09: New England Defense - Dropped before the season started :wall: 18.12: Taylor Jacobs - Traded before the season for a second round rookie pick in 200419th round: No picks20.09: Anquan Boldin - SOD. Did I know he'd be this good? No way, but I knew he had more potential than Kenny Watson, Olandis Gary, Koy Detmer and other round 20 filth.21.01: Curtis Keaton - Handcuff, cut before the season started22.06: San Diego Defense - Dropped22.09: Avon Cobourne - Dropped before the season23rd round: No pick24th round: Todd Bouman - Traded with a 2004 3rd round rookie pick for a 2004 2nd round rookie pick.Notable WW Adds: Rudi Johnson, Ken Dorsey, Daniel Graham, Lee Suggs (I'm still surprised someone dropped him. This was when the talk of skipping the season was floating around)Now as you can see I blew a handful of my early picks, but because I drafted so many rookies I'm still in good shape. I'm looking solid at WR and even though Willie Green was a disappointment, the Chris Brown pick has given me a potential starting RB this season. Fargas and Hollings could be factors down the line. I plucked Rudi off of waivers as soon as he showed promise and certainly that has brightened my long term prognosis. Getting Lee Suggs for free helps ease the pain of losing O. Smith. Even without guys like Antonio Bryant, Tyrone Calico, Tony Hollings, Justin Fargas, or Teyo Johnson doing anything next season, I still look like a possible contender. If any of those guys emerge then I'll be that much tougher.I guess the general lesson is that early on you should try go get good, young talents to fill out a lineup, but that later it is good to gamble on young players with potential rather than aging vets who will never be more than depth. I'll always take one Anquan Boldin over ten Eddie Kennisons in a dynasty league.One additional thing that I learned from my Santana Moss debacle is that sometimes size is overrated. A big project like Tyrone Calico is great to have, but for every one of those big, fast guys with spotty hands who turns into a Terrell Owens there are probably a couple guys like Coles and S. Moss who get it done despite their size. I've learned from the failures of Quincy Morgan, Plaxico Burress, and Koren Robinson that sometimes natural hands are underrated. I had thought that good hands could be taught, but I'm beginning to question that. If a guy can't catch then he might never be able to.

Very good point, Uruk-Hai. I wish Zealots gave a point per reception to even out the flex position and make the draft a little less one-dimensional.What I really want to know is, why weren't any of these guys who put Moss and Vick in the top 10 in my draft? I really could have used a few of them to help me out, but instead I got stuck in a league where everyone drafted normally and nothing fell to me.
Agreed on the reception points, Tick. Even .5 ppr for WRs would level the field for flex players a bit.First round in Z18 went 11 RBs & Moss. It did spread itself out across positions after that, but I think around 40 of the first 100 players chosen were RBs.

20 player roster;

Starting roster:

1 Qb

1 RB

2 WR

1 Flex WR/RB

1 TE

1 D/ST

Agree with Aaron, have never been in a start 1 RB dynasty league. Actually I'm only in 1 dynasty league, MOXFFL 1 which drafted last year. The drafts for 2 and 3 are in the Shark Pool/Mock Draft sections now....14 teams, Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 2Flex, K, Def........this is my toughest league. Good competition (almost all on these boards) In a 14 team league where you have to start 2RB's and could start up to 4, they are valued much higher than QB's. Culpepper is nice, but not if you don't have a decent RB2.

Current roster:

QB-Brooks, Ramsey, Blake, Bouman

RB-Alexander, D.Davis, Dillon, Garner, Wheatley, M.Morris, J.Jackson, RW2, J.Wells

WR-C.Johnson, Booker, Bruce, J.Smith, K.Curtis

K-Vinatieri

Def-Tampa Bay

I lost out on Rudi Johnson last year, was carrying all 3 Cincy RB's but every depth chart had Bennett as #2. Of course next waiver week after Rudi played, someone picked him up in front of me....RB's are King's.....you need them to win.

I think the more starters and the bigger the league, the better. Any August FF magazine reader can put together a decent team with a low number of teams and starters....

well, no wonder you don't value RBs that highly if you only need to start 1 of them :rolleyes: sorry, but I never played in a start 1 RB league before and don't consider that to be at all standard.
minimum starts Sorry.you just can't start more than 2 RB'sWhen you're talking must starts of 2 RB's and an additional 2 Flex that's a possible 4 starting RB's There's no way this is balanced. A typical roster in my league would consist of 1 QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/St.Why in the world would you intentionally lower the value of certain positions. Making a starting roster of 1 QB, 2 WR's and 4 RB's would do just that! If these are the ridiculous rosters you guys are able to submit in your leagues no wonder they're so RB top heavy. Everyone better have the same formula for success or they'll never be competitive.

I've never played in a start 4 RB league either.Start 2 or 3 RB is most common. RB value will drop slightly in a Start 2 league, but not enough to put guys like Culpepper, Manning, and Boldin into the top-10 overall.

Users who are viewing this thread