What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY - Trading IDPs for draft picks (1 Viewer)

Lord of the Rings

Footballguy
Didn't see this topic after doing a search.I've been following the trade discussion in the Shark Pool regarding the comparative value of rookie draft picks with veteran players. This got me thinking. Does anyone have any general guidelines/rules that you use when trying to trade or trade for defensive players? Such as: A top 5 LB should net you a 2nd round pick in the rookie draft, etc. I know that the scoring system has a lot to do with it, especially with most leagues having IDPs a little lower than offensive players, but I'm just kind of looking for some general suggestions. In one league I have pretty good IDP depth, with several "stud" players at each position, and I'd like to trade them for draft picks, but not sure what is "fair market value."

From limited experience, I'd say that it's hard to get anything useful for a good IDP. I'm more likely to keep one than to trade one away, even if I'm stuck with a guy I'm not starting.

From limited experience, I'd say that it's hard to get anything useful for a good IDP.
Me too. But, I inquired about an IDP from a team that was woeful last year. The reply was that nothing I had jumped out at him. Bizzare to think that nothing I had from a team that went 9-4 -- no players, no draft picks in 05 or 06, nothing -- was interesting enough to this 5-8 team to even consider trading one IDP. Wow.

So, basically:

IDPs on your roster = worthless.

IDPs on someone else's roster = priceless.

It really depends on your scoring and lineups.In one of my leagues, we start 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, and they score very low. Getting anything for an IDP there unless it's one of the top 5 players is tough, and then you won't get much.In another league, I gave: Stallworth, Donte' NOS WR; 2004 pick 1.09 (Eli Manning)forDavenport, Najeh GBP RB;Lewis, Ray BAL LB; 2004 pick #46 (Chris Cooley)I wouldn't do that trade again today, but I'm not sorry that I did it.

From limited experience, I'd say that it's hard to get anything useful for a good IDP. 
Me too. But, I inquired about an IDP from a team that was woeful last year. The reply was that nothing I had jumped out at him. Bizzare to think that nothing I had from a team that went 9-4 -- no players, no draft picks in 05 or 06, nothing -- was interesting enough to this 5-8 team to even consider trading one IDP. Wow.

So, basically:

:goodposting: I've been hunting for trades this off-season to strengthen my defense and everyone wants an arm and a leg for their IDPs.

Very tough trading IDPs.As far as draft picks go...I would seldom, if ever trade a 1st RD rookie pick for an IDP. That's where the elite offensive skill players go.For an elite IDP, I would part with a 2nd RD pick (depending on what's available in the draft & what my team needs were), as that is where the elite rookie IDPs will often go - see Vilma, Sean Taylor, etc. They usually come off the board in the 2nd of rookie drafts.For good, solid IDP vets, I think 3rd & 4th are legitimate picks because that's where I feel that I can draft a suitable replacement rookie IDP. But the reality is I think it's very hard to find a buyer at those prices.I think the best way to get solid IDPs via trade is as value-balancing pieces of a trade. For instance, I received Aaron Schobel as a "throw-in" in the following deal:I gave:Randle ElSimmsrookie 2.0 something rookie 4.0 somethingI received:Blaylock (I own Martin)Pinner (I own KJones)SchobelComments have been sketchy on who got the best of this. But from my perspective, my WRs are deep (Colbert and Lee Evans are my 4/5 in a start 3), Simms may or may not be anything (If owned Griese - I'd put more value on him, but I don't), and I had 3-2nds and 2-4ths in the rookie draft and not enough room to roster all 11 of the rookie picks I had. So in my eyes, I got a ton of insurance with the RB backups and a Top10 DL where I was struggling last season.I've seen another savvy trader in this league who's been adding IDP value by giving more on the offensive side and taking IDP upgrades to make up the difference. Deals where he gave at WR and upgraded Sharper to Polamalu... things of that nature.It's very tough to trade straight up for IDPs for exactly the reasons Haze mentioned earlier. When you're able to give a little on the offensive side of the ball, your trading partner often thinks "All's I have to give is this IDP to get my WR target? What a steal!" From what I see happening in my leagues, those are the only types of deals that are going down with IDPs.my $0.02

Very tough trading IDPs.

As far as draft picks go...

I would seldom, if ever trade a 1st RD rookie pick for an IDP. That's where the elite offensive skill players go.

For an elite IDP, I would part with a 2nd RD pick (depending on what's available in the draft & what my team needs were), as that is where the elite rookie IDPs will often go - see Vilma, Sean Taylor, etc. They usually come off the board in the 2nd of rookie drafts.

For good, solid IDP vets, I think 3rd & 4th are legitimate picks because that's where I feel that I can draft a suitable replacement rookie IDP. But the reality is I think it's very hard to find a buyer at those prices.

I think the best way to get solid IDPs via trade is as value-balancing pieces of a trade. For instance, I received Aaron Schobel as a "throw-in" in the following deal:

I gave:

Randle El

Simms

rookie 2.0 something

rookie 4.0 something

I received:

Blaylock (I own Martin)

Pinner (I own KJones)

Schobel

Comments have been sketchy on who got the best of this. But from my perspective, my WRs are deep (Colbert and Lee Evans are my 4/5 in a start 3), Simms may or may not be anything (If owned Griese - I'd put more value on him, but I don't), and I had 3-2nds and 2-4ths in the rookie draft and not enough room to roster all 11 of the rookie picks I had.

So in my eyes, I got a ton of insurance with the RB backups and a Top10 DL where I was struggling last season.

I've seen another savvy trader in this league who's been adding IDP value by giving more on the offensive side and taking IDP upgrades to make up the difference. Deals where he gave at WR and upgraded Sharper to Polamalu... things of that nature.

It's very tough to trade straight up for IDPs for exactly the reasons Haze mentioned earlier. When you're able to give a little on the offensive side of the ball, your trading partner often thinks "All's I have to give is this IDP to get my WR target? What a steal!" From what I see happening in my leagues, those are the only types of deals that are going down with IDPs.

my $0.02
You killed in that trade. Nice job.

During a dynasty rookie draft last year as soon as I selected DJ Williams in the third round another owner started pinging me. I told him I would take his 2nd round rookie pick this year. He said "but you got him in the thrid round!" I said "yeah, but he has second round talent." Stuck to my guns and got his pick, plus his team sucked so it is almost like a low 1st rounder. I should be able to get a pretty good offensive player with it. :lol:

Only the highest scoring positions, e.g. LB or S, or else truly elite players at their positions, seem to carry any value, and even then like others have said few people seem to want to trade for them. The good news is that, in my also-limited experience, good IDP's tend to be available in FA during the early season as lineups get shaken out due to injury, performance, etc. For example, I picked up Antonio Pierce in week 3 or 4 last year.

I just traded michael strahan for for the 2.12 rookie pick and tony hollings (to go with D.Davis)strahan was in the final year of his contract. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Only the highest scoring positions, e.g. LB or S, or else truly elite players at their positions, seem to carry any value, and even then like others have said few people seem to want to trade for them.

The good news is that, in my also-limited experience, good IDP's tend to be available in FA during the early season as lineups get shaken out due to injury, performance, etc. For example, I picked up Antonio Pierce in week 3 or 4 last year.
Agreed, which makes it more confusing that folks aren't more open to trading IDPs since it is easier to reload there.

So, basically:

:yes: I was told a couple days ago that Ted Lehman is worth a lot more than Chris Perry, this is from a guy who actually wanted Perry. Keep in mind, Perry has gone in rounds 4-8 in the vast majority of drafts while Lehman goes in the 13th or later. :brush:

In Zealots, I've made 2 off-season trades involving IDPs. My LBs last year were pitiful - with the exception of London Fletcher, I had none that finished in the top 30. Most weeks, I was probably giving away 10-15 pts at that spot alone - it may have been worse, but I really don't want to know :bag: . Both of these trades were made in Feb/March.

1. I traded the 1.01 rookie pick & Jon Kitna (to the Palmer owner) for the 1.09, a 3rd rounder in 2006, Nick Barnett, & Terrance Kiel. I guess that's heresy to most who look at the 1.01 as a sure thing RB. However, there wasn't one RB that stood out to me from the others in this draft & I got two good, young IDPs who should be starters for me for a while (in Zealots, you can start 3 LBs & 3 DBs). If, for grins, we say Kitna = 3rd rd rookie pick.....than I got Barnett & Kiel to move down 8 spots.

2. Traded the 1.12 & 2.01 for Keith Bullock & Santana Moss. I'm not crazy about Moss, but I'm not pressured to start him at this point. If he turns into a starter, all the better. His chance to be decent was the balancer in this trade, because my trading partner wasn't trading Bullock for just one of those picks & I wasn't trading both for KB. IMO, Bullock's better than any IDP rookie I'd have gotten there.

Given the sentiments in many of the previous posts in this thread, most of you will probably think I overpaid. However, I feel much better about my IDPs now than I did in December (also picked up Grant Wistrom & Greg Spires cheap in FA bidding). I've still got the 1.07 & 1.09 rookie picks and, after yesterday, I feel much better about them, too.

ETA: to the original point of the thread, I didn't use any particular rule of thumb in assigning value to my picks (save all of your jokes, please ;) ). I didn't take the first offers that came along, nor did what I offered always get taken. It depended on each team's wants/needs, which are unique. That's the aspect of dynasty leagues I like the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on your starting lineups too. In leagues which start 11 IDPs, they hold more weight. No matter how you cut it, your worst scoring players can be improved via trading depth at one position for starters on someone elses depth in another position.Albeit, some don't see it that way...

Users who are viewing this thread