What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Watch - Chris Godwin WR Tampa Bay (3 Viewers)

Chris Godwin caught 5-of-8 targets for 83 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 15 loss to the Bengals.​

Godwin had a prime matchup against a Bengals secondary missing CB Mike Hilton (knee). He wasn't, however, a primary focus of the Bucs' passing attack, with Mike Evans and Russel Gage out-targeting him. Godwin caught a first half touchdown on a little toss from Tom Brady; Godwin snuck into the corner of the end zone for the score before the team's second half collapse. Godwin remains Brady's primary intermediate target and should be heavily involved next week against a Cardinals defense that has been ripped by opposing receivers all season.
Dec 18, 2022, 8:14 PM ET

(fantasypros) Chris Godwin caught eight passes for 83 yards and a touchdown en route to a 34-23 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.
Analysis: Chris Godwin had a stellar game on Sunday, leading the team in receptions and receiving yards and finding the end zone in a loss to the Bengals. Tampa Bay choked away a double-digit lead, but that was despite the efforts of the veteran receiver. He's been looking more sharp and consistent recently, and he's a decent WR2 option for the rest of the season.

Chris Godwin caught 9-of-9 targets for 120 yards in the Bucs' Week 17 win over the Panthers.​

With Tom Brady dicing up the Panthers' man coverage, both Godwin and Mike Evans posted new season highs for yardage. Godwin's nine catches were also his second most of 2022, though he's now reached eight in three straight contests. Sitting on 968 yards receiving in his comeback campaign from a torn ACL, Godwin might not get a shot at 1,000, as the Bucs seem very likely to rest their starters in Week 18 against the Falcons. They can't improve their playoff seeding after clinching the NFC South vs. Carolina. Perhaps Godwin will be given a drive or two to reach 1K, however.
Jan 1, 2023, 5:29 PM ET

Have to admit that coming off a major knee injury late last season he exceeded my expectations quite a bit. He doesn’t get enough respect.

Chris Godwin caught 10-of-13 targets for 85 yards in the Bucs' Wild Card Round loss to the Cowboys.​

After suffering a torn ACL in Week 15 of the 2021 season, the expectation was for Godwin to miss a few games to start the following season before returning at full strength. He was surprisingly able to suit up in Week 1 but suffered a hamstring injury that sidelined him for two more weeks. Following his Week 4 return, Godwin averaged 7.2 receptions for 71 yards weekly. He ended the season with 104 catches for 1,023 yards and three touchdowns. The 2022 season was the worst of Godwin’s career by yards per reception and yards per target. Operating in a stagnate offense, Godwin spent much of his time catching the ball and falling down. His outlook for the upcoming season will depend on if Tom Brady returns or not. With Brady to pepper him with targets, Godwin’s fantasy value would take a massive hit.
Jan 17, 2023, 12:30 AM ET

Buccaneers WRs coach Brad Idzik said Chris Godwin will do "a little bit of everything".

Idzik followed Bucs offensive coordinator Dave Canales from Seattle to Tampa Bay this offseason. He acknowledged that his quote sounds like coach-speak, but it does look likely that Godwin's role will expand in 2023. Last year, he set a career low in target depth and in the rate of snaps he played from out wide. It was also a subpar season for him in yards after the catch per reception. With the Bucs offense immediately growing stale under Byron Leftwich, Godwin was related to catch-and-fall duties on shallow routes for most of the 2022 season. A more diverse route tree should help him rebound this year, though the downgrade in quarterback play could more than offset any gains found from a better role.
SOURCE: Buccaneers.com
May 11, 2023 at 11:39 AM ET

Chris Godwin caught 5-of-6 targets for 51 yards in the Buccaneers’ Week 1 win over the Vikings.

Chris Godwin saw the second-most targets on the team in Week 1. Working out of the slot, Godwin was Baker Mayfield’s between-the-sticks target for the day. In the fourth quarter, he made a game-clinching 11-yard reception to set up victory formation for the Buccaneers. Godwin is a solid WR2 against the Bears in Week 2.

- Rotoworld

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Chris Godwin (neck) will play in Week 8 against the Bills.
Like his teammate Baker Mayfield (knee), Godwin is also questionable but expected to play in Week 8. Initially listed as a DNP on Monday, Godwin logged a full practice to close out the week and will be a fringe WR2 in Week 8 against a Bills defense that has struggled 25-plus points in two of their last three games.

In theory, Bills cover 2 defense takes Evans long ball away leaving Godwin to run free in middle. I think. Feels like a Godwin first TD game.

I’ve got him sat on my bench right now and I’m just not sure what to do. Got Amon-Ra and Rice over him at WR ( Jefferson on IR ). Can’t decide who to play at flex but I’m getting tempted to slide him in to the lineup for this game. I don’t feel like he’s a natural fit with Baker but he has been getting targets every game and red zone looks. Law of averages dictates that he must get a TD sometime soon

What is Godwin's outlook for next year? Obviously, this year is essentially a lost cause as he is not getting the targets/catches needed to be worthwhile. I figured he would be a PPR beast with Baker but that wasn't the case as Baker only has eyes for Evans.

So how do we value Godwin for next year? Will he be back to normal? This three catches for 50-ish yards every game has gotten old

What is Godwin's outlook for next year? Obviously, this year is essentially a lost cause as he is not getting the targets/catches needed to be worthwhile. I figured he would be a PPR beast with Baker but that wasn't the case as Baker only has eyes for Evans.

So how do we value Godwin for next year? Will he be back to normal? This three catches for 50-ish yards every game has gotten old
Hard to say. Godwin is under contract next year. Evans is not and I’d give it at least 50/50 he walks.

Should be an uptick in targets as Godwin would be pseudo #1 WR, but possibly with Trask or a rookie QB and another brand new offense. Not ideal.

If Bowles/Canales somehow pull a rabbit out of their hat these last few games maybe they survive the season. If that’s the case you may see Baker again next season or Trask. Not ideal.

Bottom line. Godwin is probably a hold or try to sell him to a playoff team needing a WR down the stretch after a big game.

He just missed a TD on Sunday.

really surprised he's been such a disappointment this year, one of the sharks in my league offered him to me this offseason for cheap, thought was getting a good deal but guess he knew something i didn't. seems like have to root for a QB change/upgrade as Baker and him don't seem like a great match.

really surprised he's been such a disappointment this year, one of the sharks in my league offered him to me this offseason for cheap, thought was getting a good deal but guess he knew something i didn't. seems like have to root for a QB change/upgrade as Baker and him don't seem like a great match.
Baker just isn’t winning consistently enough to stack drives. He hasn’t had a 300+ yard game all season.

Baker just isn’t winning consistently enough to stack drives. He hasn’t had a 300+ yard game all season.
Evans is a top 10 receiver though, the disparity between those two is quite surprising.

Evans is a top 10 receiver though, the disparity between those two is quite surprising.

When you look at the #'s it is very interesting...they are right there in targets and receptions...Evans is 91-54 and Godwin is 82-53...it is the yardage (850-606) and especially the TDs (9-1) where Evans really dominates.

When you look at the #'s it is very interesting...they are right there in targets and receptions...Evans is 91-54 and Godwin is 82-53...it is the yardage (850-606) and especially the TDs (9-1) where Evans really dominates.
Evans is definitely running deeper routes. Mayfield has also been one of the weaker deep ball QBs in the league this year, but he HAS hit Evans a few times down the field. He hasn't connected with Godwin on anything deep either by design or inaccuracy.

Chris Godwin (neck) was added to the injury report Thursday and listed as limited.

Godwin dealt with a neck injury earlier in the year but hasn’t been listed on the injury report with a neck injury since Week 8. It’s possible this is a reaggravation of the same injury, making this one to watch heading into the weekend. If he’s able to log another practice on Friday, it’d be safe to assume Godwin will be good to go for Week 13 against the Panthers. Godwin has struggled as of late, failing to crack 60 receiving yards in each of his last five games. He’s still on a 17-game pace for 936 yards, but that would be his fewest since 2020. If he’s active, Godwin would be on the WR3 radar against a bad Panthers defense.

I dropped him in re-draft a week or two back. Just isn’t happening for him with Baker.
Dynasty he’s a hold just to see what happens next season

(Rotowire) Godwin (knee) officially didn't practice Thursday. Analysis: After opening Week 16 prep with a limited session Wednesday, Godwin's absence from the field one day later was forecast by the fact he wasn't spotted during the media-access portion of the practice, per Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. Thus, Godwin's listing on Friday's injury report should be telling for his upcoming availability for Sunday's game against the Jaguars. He was able to play through the knee issue Week 15 in Green Bay, where he turned 12 targets into 10 catches for 155 yards.

Is it just me or is this guy one of the more disrespected/underrated WR's out there? I really feel like he could have a big year this year in particular, as he is supposed to return to the slot. I don't know what his split is in years playing primarily slot vs primarily wide ... not sure where to find that, either. But his best year was earlier in his career, so that was probably a slot year.

Recently acquired him and glad to hear what his role in this offense might be. But the crickets in here are temporing any expectations I may have of him.

I drafted him as my WR #2. He did not help my team last year.
Nothing flashy except a 30-spot one week ... But 80 receptions, 1000 yards, only one total dud of a week, all other weeks were at least 7. Obviously 7 is awful, but everyone has up and down weeks, so 7 is not that bad for your second-to-worst game. Pretty consistent guy over his career, sans his first two seasons in which he hadn't become a full-time starter, and a few games missed one year. But it doesn't catch many eyes when your teammate is the most consistent WR in NFL history by certain metrics.

I still believe in the talent, which makes him an easy hold based on current value. With that said, I'm struggling to find any optimism for 2024. What's going to change?

I get that the production was okay, and I'd probably appreciate it more if I could start 4 WRs, but he was nothing more than bench depth in a start 3. I feel like his outlook would be in a better place right now if Mayfield's '23 season was the disaster I anticipated. There's not a player on my dynasty team that I'm rooting for a trade more than Godwin.

I still believe in the talent, which makes him an easy hold based on current value. With that said, I'm struggling to find any optimism for 2024. What's going to change?

I get that the production was okay, and I'd probably appreciate it more if I could start 4 WRs, but he was nothing more than bench depth in a start 3. I feel like his outlook would be in a better place right now if Mayfield's '23 season was the disaster I anticipated. There's not a player on my dynasty team that I'm rooting for a trade more than Godwin.
Yeah, I guess a WR1, though plausible, is a pipedream. But I think WR2 would only be a little surprising.

As far as what's going to change, he's supposed to go back to slot. I don't know but I hope that can be a good thing for him.

Yeah, I guess a WR1, though plausible, is a pipedream. But I think WR2 would only be a little surprising.

As far as what's going to change, he's supposed to go back to slot. I don't know but I hope that can be a good thing for him.

I think the talent was there for Godwin to be a consistent fantasy WR1 in his prime. I still think he could be in the right situation, but being saddled with multiple seasons of Baker Mayfield nearing the close of that window is disappointing. Maybe I have overrated the talent based on what Evans has managed to accomplish with the same QB 2.5 years further down the road.

I feel like I waited the entire 2023 fantasy season just waiting for NFL defenses to start adjusting coverages to stop the #1 stud WR from scoring every TD (Mike Evans & Tyreek). I waited patiently for things to open up for talented #2s like Godwin and Waddle to get in on some of the scoring fun, and it never happened.

From early February...
https://www.buccaneers.com/news/liam-coen-envisions-chris-godwin-having-big-role-slot-2024

"You've got a guy [in Mike Evans] that's 6-4 and change, 220, and can move like he does," he said on Tuesday after being introduced to the local media. "Then you've got a guy like Chris that I think can be really dynamic on the inside. That's where I envision him playing, is more on the inside, playing that 'F' position that ultimately Cooper played. A lot of things do run through that. So I'm excited about him."

Users who are viewing this thread