What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Winners / Losers of Draft Days 1-3 (1 Viewer)

sushinsky4tsar

Footballguy
**page 3 post-draft update**

Here's an attempt to be somewhat thorough...

*veterans only, rookie landing spots belong in another thread

WINNERS

Mike Davis -   I view this as the headliner upset victory.  Finally, ATL adds a nice UDFA in Hawkins, mercifully allows me to keep Ollison & Cordarrelle off this list.   

Myles Gaskin - The other headliner upset victory.   Ahmed and Malcolm Brown share in the spoils.

Edmonds & Conner -  (also Eno Benjamin & J. Ward if you want to go deep)  Less of a surprise. The Conner signing along with a shortage of picks signaled that they might be willing to kick the RB can down the road a year.  Great opportunity for Conner to reclaim his career or Chase to prove he can carry the load.  I still think a 2022 investment is likely.

Moss / Singletary - (Breida deep)   Emphasis on Moss.  Not necessarily a surprise, but a big vote of confidence to go along with O-line help. 

Allen Robinson / Mooney / Kmet - Possible savior at QB.   Improved O-line.   For Mooney, I thought something more substantial than Dazz Newsome might be in play to compete for WR2. 

Montgomery - Same as above.   I like the Herbert selection, but seems like a poor man's David Montgomery.  

Swift - (& probably Jamaal Williams)  Big upgrade to O-line.  Like the Jermar Jefferson pick enough to put Kerryon on the other list.

Hockenson - Like the St. Brown pick, but he's no Chase.  Hock is looking like a target hog.

Cephus / Ty-Willy / Perriman - Emphasis on Cephus.  Thought something nastier than St. Brown might come to town.  WR1 & WR2 is there for the taking.

Goff -  (begrudgingly)  (+) O-Line  (-) No True WR1  (+) future replacement not yet drafted.

Herbert / Ekeler / K. Allen / M. Williams  -  Slater, big-time O-line upgrade

Lamar Jackson - two nice WR additions in Bateman and Wallace

Hurts - draft showed a big vote of confidence.  No QB drafted.  Moved up for D-Smith.  2nd round O-lineman.   Adding another receiving weapon like Gainwell.

Matt Ryan - Pitts.  No QB replacement drafted.  Pitts.  Pitts.

Burrow - Chase   ...as long as enough improvements were made to O-line.

Tua - Waddle.  Backfield is fine, but a big-time RB would have helped take some of the pressure off

Daniel Jones -  Another WR weapon in Toney.  The competition is still Mike Glennon.

Golladay - Still looks like the clear WR1

Kyler Murray -  Picks up Rondale Moore, if not a more dynamic RB.

Darnold -  Finds a big time WR in Marshall to replace Samuel.   No competition drafted.

Fitzmagic / Heinicke - No QB drafted.   Fitz gets another WR to chuck bombs to in Dyami Brown.  Just makes you feel good to see this guy get the starting job for a year without a directive to mentor his eventual mid-season replacement.

McLaurin &  Samuel -  Forgot these two, but a full year of being peppered by Fitzmagic definitely qualifies as a win.

Jimmy G - Gets the QB that might buy him another full season to prove his worth.

Lock / Bridgewater  -   No QB drafted.   Not much of a competition if A-Rodg isn't coming.

Winston / T. Hil - Incoming QB competition is 4th rounder, Ian Book.

Chark / Marvin Jones / Shenault / Collin Johnson -  Hate mentioning them since they got their bump months ago.   However, nothing of consequence drafted.

Lindsay -  No RBs drafted to HOU.   Lindsay is the youngest in a collection of high mileage, worn down RBs.   Unless you buy into Howell or Scottie Phillips.

Akers / D Henderson -  Emphasis on DH, as Akers' role was safe.   As much as McVay liked rolling a three-headed RB with Brown, it was nice not to see any obvious attempt to replace that.   This looks like a clear feature back with a clear handcuff.

Fournette / Ronald Jones -  (& Gio / Vaughn deep)  -  No competition added.

Hardman / Pringle / Demarcus Robinson -  I don't mean to sleep on Powell, but this looked like a spot where there might be a sizeable investment in a WR2 to replace Watkins.  This could be a muddled mess of WR2 by committee, but the job is there if any of these guys step up.

Darwin Thompson / McKinnon -  Deep bench diving.  You can maybe include CEH and D-Will, but their roles weren't going to be impacted in 2021.  I lean more on the Darwin side of this.  Is it possible Chiefs staff took note of his week 17?   They cut Damien Williams and didn't draft a replacement.   Free agent competition is a guy who can't get on the field.  Maybe those of us who were stashing Damien Williams before he was cut should start looking in the direction of Darwin?  

Ruggs / Bryan Edwards - (& also Renfrow and Snead deep) -  Raiders free agency and draft reads as a vote of confidence that either Ruggs, Edwards, or both can step up in their sophomore season.  No WR selections.   Brown and Snead signings seem more like insurance policies to set the bar.

Higbee - no Everett replacement.

Devontae Booker -  6th round RB selection.  Booker should be the favorite to backup Barkley

Corey Davis - Mims -   Elijah Moore definitely eats into projected target share, but Crowder also would have and appears to be on his way out.   Meanwhile, the WR1 is still there for the taking for the two outside WRs with draft pedigree, even if they feel like underdogs to actually step up and take it.  If they don't, it might be Moore from the slot.

L. Perine / Tevin Coleman / Ty Johnson -  I like the Carter selection early in the 4th, but this looked like a spot that would be in play for one of the big 3.   Perine and Coleman will have a chance to fight Carter for the top spot.  I'm rooting for Carter, but 4th round rookie RBs aren't anointed starter.  Hopefully this isn't a full-blown RBBC, but it's certainly possible. 

Goedert - As long as we've waited for this guy to be the uncontested TE1, and are still waiting to see Ertz off the roster, the fact that Goedert owners had to endure Kyle Pitts projections at one point in the mock draft season makes zero TEs drafted pretty sweet, even if expected.

Josh Reynolds -  This looked like a prime location to be drafting for a WR2 replacement.   Spent decent capital for Fitzpatrick, but it seems like Reynolds is going to have a better shot at the WR2 than anyone was expecting coming into the draft.

Tre'quan Smith / Trautman - WR2 role appears secure for Smith.   Trautman could see plenty of targets.

AJB -  I get that this guy looks like the 2021 king of target share, and yeah, that probably makes him a winner.  It probably isn't impossible for Reynolds/Fitzpatrick and Firkser to be reasonable replacements to CD and Smith.  However, I can't say that I would have been upset with one piece that's a little more dynamic to keep the defensive coverage from being draped over AJB in 2021.   We'll see. 

Lazard / Valdez-Scantling  -   Similar to Tennessee.  Amari Rodgers seems a bit more formidable, but are we sure that he's a clear upgrade to Lazard at the WR2?   Obviously, you can flush this one if A. Rodgers the QB leaves town.

Agholor / Bourne / Meyers / Harry -   Seemed like a prime spot for a top WR.   Just a late selection.

Paris Campbell / Pascal -  No substantial WR investment is probably a good sign that Campbell's recovery is on track.  Also reads as a vote of confidence in Pittman.

Firkser -  Passed on a Jonnu replacement.

Manhertz / O-Shag-Hennessy -  Popular destination for Freiermuth.   No substantial investment.

Sample / Uzomah / Thaddeus Moss -  Another team that passed on TE.

Knox / Hollister  -  No competition added.

S. Perine / Trayveon Williams  - Drafted Chris Evans late, but this looks like a winnable RB2 competition to replace Gio.

Ant Gibson / McKissic -  No RBs drafted.   Jarret Patterson is a notable UDFA.

Darynton Evans - No RBs drafted to compete for #2.

Penny / Dallas / Homer / Collins -  No additional competition for RB2.   Knowing Carroll, you can probably add Carson for no additional RB1 competition.

Kamara / Latavius Murray - no developmental RB added to the mix.

Gabriel Davis -   Stevenson added to the mix, but I think Davis is still on track for eventual WR2.

Richie James - No WRs drafted.

Mason Rudolph -  Why is PIT dead set on this guy as their backup?

**********************************************************************************

LOSERS

James Robinson (& Hyde) -  The headliner.   Hopefully Robinson was found money and not someone you paid a ransom for.  He's still going to be relevant.  Finding a fantasy RB3 off the waiver wire is still a huge get, especially with  a year of RB1 production in the bag. But yes, RB1 --> RB3 is going to take the cake.

Marq Brown / Watkins -  (Duvernay & Boykin deep) -  An offense that doesn't pass is now littered with WR talent.   

Melvin Gordon / Boone / Royce Freeman - I thought there was a fair chance the Broncos might hold off this year.   Gordon as a volume play, dead.   Boone promotion to #2, dead.

Hayden Hurst - trade rumors, but any hope of a second season bump are dead with Pitts in the picture.  I'm not sure that he played himself out of the job so much as TE greatness fell into the lap of the Falcons, but the idea of Hurst as a dynasty darling just waiting to break out is starting to run out of time.

Tee Higgins / Boyd - they should gain efficiency with Chase, but it won't offset the loss in target share.   Hopefully we will see a lot of 11-personnel for Boyd.   He's been very productive to be relegated to WR3.   Still very safe properties, but the ceiling for both takes a hit.   A Sewell selection puts these two towards the top of the other list.

Mixon - Not a huge hit here, but misses out on a monster O-lineman.  The three WRs on roster won't help to make this a more run-balanced offense, but will also keep defenses on their heels.  No competition coming in, so he should get as many carries as his health allows.

Parker / Preston Williams - Waddle and Fuller in.   Opportunity is closing.

Gesicki - Waddle addition to go with Long in the 3rd.

Ebron - Wins the Freiermuth sweepstakes.

Damien Harris / Michel / James White / JJ Taylor -  Another RB piece in Stevenson that should keep the BB RBBC going in full force.  Not much added to the O-line.

Mostert / Wilson / Gallman / Hasty - Just in case it wasn't clear how expendable you RBs are.  Say hello to Trey Sermon and Elijah Mitchell.

Miles Sanders - (& Boston Scott / Howard)  Gainwell addition isn't helpful for Sanders.  However, better to have Gainwell coming in as a 5th rounder than a 3rd rounder.  Seems like an R.I.P. for Scott in any fantasy leagues.

Shepard / Slayton / J. Ross -   Toney further /  muddles the receiving core.

G. Ward / Fulgham -  Become fantasy afterthoughts.  Best chance is for Raegor to fall on his face.

Snell / McFarland / Ballage - No surprise, but Najee should be a fantasy death blow.   3rd & 4th investment in O-line doesn't add much appeal to any prospects of a handcuff emerging.

Roethlisberger - Not an O-line guru, but is their 3rd & 4th round investment going to be enough of a fix?   Najee will help.

Tannehill - Hoping for more at WR2 or possibly TE.   Did pickup a 2nd round O-lineman.

R. Wilson - Picks up a couple of interesting depth receivers, but no help on the O-line.

Cam Newton - No WR additions.   Late O-lineman.   Gets to mentor a statue to replace him.

A. Rodgers - Legacy position.   If he stays, is Amari Rodgers a clear upgrade to WR2?

Tyler Johnson / Scotty Miller / Justin Watson - Another interesting young WR to compete with IF Godwin and AB ever leave town.  Meet Jaelon Darden.

Crowder - Elijah Moore pick makes Crowder look like a cap casualty.  Could land well in TEN, DET, KC, or GB.

DJ Moore / Robby Anderson - Live or die with Darnold.  Marshall and Shi Smith should keep WR3 target share healthy.

Akins (& Warring deep) - Brevin Jordan selection

Joshua Kelley / Bradwell - Rountree selection is either an indictment or competition.

Guyton / Tyron Johnson - Seemed like they had some momentum.   Palmer selection isn't helpful.

Van Jefferson / De-Jax - Atwell and Harris in the mid-rounds.

Sutton / Jeudy / Patrick / Hamler / Hamilton -  Bridgewater v. Lock isn't the competition you were looking for.   Have to see how the A-Rodg drama plays out on this one.  Sutton and Jeudy could end up as the biggest offseason winners.  Seth Williams selection isn't helpful for the bottom half of this depth chart.

Damien Williams / Cohen - Herbert selection isn't helpful, albeit 6th round.

Kerryon Johnson -  7th round selection of Jermar Jefferson, just in case you wondering if they had any confidence in KJ staying healthy in an RB3 capacity.

Peoples-Jones - Schwartz investment was a little surprising.   Also added Felton for good measure.

Last edited by a moderator:
WINNERS

Allen Robinson - possible knight in shining armor if Dalton is as meh as we expect
If I am a GM and coach who are barely hanging on to a job and I've just mortgaged the future of the team on a QB, I am getting that rookie QB in there ASAP.

Eagles and Cowboys (winners) teaming up to double penetrate the Giants (losers)
i dont love the toney pick but the haul the giants got from the bears was impressive.  i was kinda hoping the eagles would do something like that but more than happy we got smith

WINNER

Corey Davis - Zach Wilson

QB-WR pair hand selected by the new OC, both of whom are strong at play action, for an offense that will use a lot of it. Davis can run the whole route tree and Wilson seems like a smart passer with the arm to make all those throws as well as the accuracy and confidence to put up jump balls and let his receiver fight for it (Davis 2nd ranked behind M.Thomas in contested catch % since 2019). Wilson relied heavily on mesh concepts last season, and Davis finished last year as PFF’s highest-graded receiver (92.8) on drag routes.

3 thoughts in no particular order:

*I don't think Chase is a bad thing for either Tee or Boyd. Their greatest threat is Burrow's protection.

*And I actually think the Waddle add is a good thing for Parker. Preston, not so much.

*Slayton will lose some opportunities, but I don't think Toney is a threat to Shepard. Jason Garrett and Daniel Jones remain the primary threats to that offense.

Cole Kmet could join Allen Robinson on the winners list. Whole Bears offense might have won with the Fields pick.

Drew Lock is a winner with no real threats at QB being added(sorry Teddy)

D'Andre Swift looks like a big winner, with the best OL prospect in years being added, and no top WR's, possibly leading to Swift having 70+ catches.

Daniel Jones looks like a winner to me too. Suddenly he's got an abundance of weapons that mostly all do different things.

I think Deebo Samuel is a winner. He might actually catch passes beyond the LOS with Lance there.

AJ Brown might be a winner with no 1st round WR. Even in a run first offense, Brown is a candidate to lead the league in targets right now.

Gibson and McLaurin are winners by Washington not taking a QB to me. Fitzpatrick's aggressiveness will be a boon to their fantasy prospects, even if he only makes a nominal difference in wins/losses.

Loser - Rashod Bateman

This tweet encapsulates it. 

Scott Barrett

@ScottBarrettDFB·19m

Rashod Bateman landing spot

- BAL ranked dead-last in pass attempts last year

- BAL have about ~70 vacated targets (Willie Snead, Dez Bryant) but added Sammy Watkins and now Bateman

- Of the few pass attempts thrown, Lamar Jackson ranked bottom-10 in Accurate Pass% last year

LOSERS

Julio Jones / Calvin Ridley (?) - Barely worth mentioning,  You can make an argument that the loss in target share will be offset by greater efficiency.  Maybe Pitts' presence in his rookie year isn't even enough that it really affects Julio at all.  By the time he's a full grown TE monster, Julio might not be on the team, so minimal hit for Julio and Ridley, if any.

WINNERS

Z. Moss / Singletary / Breida - more bullets to dodge day 2, but so far so good

Fournette / Ronald Jones / Gio - so far, so good
Good list and agreed with almost all of it but just going to comment on these.

I don't know about Ridley but I've heard Ravens and Raiders have shown most interest in Julio. So for me seeing the Ravens use the first on Bateman makes it a win for Julio as I'm guessing they might tap them out on WR compensation. 

Buffalo would have taken ETN based on credible reports I saw. They pursued Bell and Fournette last year when both were cut. Agree they dodged a bullet with ETN, just not sure they'll be able to say out of the line of sight for much longer to celebrate it.

For ROJO in particular I would have almost liked to see Tampa draft a round one RB so force them to feel the need to move someone and I figured if they did it would not be the two they just signed.

i dont love the toney pick but the haul the giants got from the bears was impressive.  i was kinda hoping the eagles would do something like that but more than happy we got smith
Philly worked the pre draft and draft well imo going all the way back to throwing the last game of the year.

Eagles and Cowboys (winners) teaming up to double penetrate the Giants (losers)
Uh, the Giants walked away with a future first.

The Eagles lost that, big time.  They paid a 3rd to jump in front of the Giants, and made a terrible pick.

On top of that, they prevented the Giants from making the same terrible pick, all while giving them a future 1st.

The good news is that the Giants will squander the future pick, and the Giants themselves made a terrible pick with their later first.

The NFC east is hilarious.

Loser - Rashod Bateman

This tweet encapsulates it. 

Scott Barrett

@ScottBarrettDFB·19m

Rashod Bateman landing spot

- BAL ranked dead-last in pass attempts last year

- BAL have about ~70 vacated targets (Willie Snead, Dez Bryant) but added Sammy Watkins and now Bateman

- Of the few pass attempts thrown, Lamar Jackson ranked bottom-10 in Accurate Pass% last year
This sounds like the reaction when AJB went to the Titans.

He got first round capital and that was not guaranteed.  He's not a loser here.  If anything bad landing spot is off set by good capital.

This sounds like the reaction when AJB went to the Titans.

He got first round capital and that was not guaranteed.  He's not a loser here.  If anything bad landing spot is off set by good capital.
I felt like 1st round capital was already built in 

Uh, the Giants walked away with a future first.

The Eagles lost that, big time.  They paid a 3rd to jump in front of the Giants, and made a terrible pick.

On top of that, they prevented the Giants from making the same terrible pick, all while giving them a future 1st.

The good news is that the Giants will squander the future pick, and the Giants themselves made a terrible pick with their later first.

The NFC east is hilarious.
Devonta Smith is going to be a stud.

Well maybe the fact that in 3 full starts Jalen Hurts has thrown over 300 yard twice which Lamar did once. I mean, for starters.
I wouldn't extrapolate that, but I guess that's just my opinion.

We'll have to see how this works out.  The Eagles aren't going to project for the type of offense that supports a ton of passing game weapons.

First off there is more to scouting then size.  I mean 5'10/186 is his cousin and he kind of did alright.

Secondly if you want to just go by size you have no business invoking AJB as success example for 6/190 pound Bateman.
Survivorship bias.  And 5'10" 186 is a lot different than 5'9" 166.

Bateman isn't ideal size but he isn't FAR below size thresholds either.  His profile isn't destroyed by the lower weight the way Brown's is.  Brown never had an NFL body. 

Survivorship bias.  And 5'10" 186 is a lot different than 5'9" 166.

Bateman isn't ideal size but he isn't FAR below size thresholds either.  His profile isn't destroyed by the lower weight the way Brown's is.  Brown never had an NFL body. 
Their BMI is about the same but I'm retiring from this convo, I'll leave the paint by numbers body size scouting to you.

menobrown said:
Their BMI is about the same but I'm retiring from this convo, I'll leave the paint by numbers body size scouting to you.
OK.  Well their BMI is not about the same.

Brown 24.85 and Bateman 25.8

Bateman had an 18.8 BOA. 

Brown BOA was 21.3. 

Not even close as far as prospect profiles.  With all due respect, I wouldn't be bragging about my process that had Marquise Brown anywhere near Bateman.

Thinking about Atlanta more, I don't think Pitts actually helps Matt Ryan much. I think Ryan likely stays about the same, and Pitts just makes Ridley and Julio less appealing. 

Kind of similar in Cinci. Not sure Chase moves the needle for Burrow much. A 2nd year blowup was already baked into his price, Chase more hurts Boyd/Higgins than anything else. Though I think Boyd might end up being underrated, since the Bengals don't really throw to RB's or TE's much, so there is room for 120 targets for all 3 of them. 

Winners:
Lamar Jackson
Joe Burrow
Matt Ryan
Drew Lock
Sam Darnold
Tua

Aiyuk
Ridley
Chark

Too early to declare victory for these RBs but Montgomery, Harris, Moss should look a little better after yesterday. 

Losers:
Robinson
Reagor
Slayton
Marquise Brown

There are more but I'll read some comments and see them I'm sure.

Winners:
Lamar Jackson
Joe Burrow
Matt Ryan
Drew Lock
Sam Darnold
Tua

Aiyuk
Ridley
Chark

Too early to declare victory for these RBs but Montgomery, Harris, Moss should look a little better after yesterday. 

Losers:
Robinson
Reagor
Slayton
Marquise Brown

There are more but I'll read some comments and see them I'm sure.

I don't think Reagor is a loser.Smith and he compliment each other well. 

dont tell my other eagles friends here that.  im one of the only ones that likes him
It's a little wishful thinking from me as I'm invested in for fantasy, but I think having a rushing QB can give a team such a big edge. Plus, I look at what he did compared to Baker and Kyler at OU. I am not seeing why those guys went 1.01 and Hurts was deemed some kind of project. 

I hope you're right. This list is a first reaction anyway.

I think when the Jets take Javonte Williams here in a few hours their team is going to be looking much better. I would echo Corey Davis as a winner in this - someone mentioned that above. I like that the Jets moved up to get the guard they liked.

How is that offense going to support the weapons it has?  I think we're dividing up 3,000 ish pass yards between all of the weapons.  Ertz is even still there.

Maybe Hurts is going to throw for more than I think...  I don't know.

menobrown said:
Buffalo would have taken ETN based on credible reports I saw. They pursued Bell and Fournette last year when both were cut. Agree they dodged a bullet with ETN, just not sure they'll be able to say out of the line of sight for much longer to celebrate it.
I had to prepare myself for Etienne to Buffalo as a Moss + SIngletary owner.   I was pretty thrilled to see the Jags take him off the board.   The remaining threats?   I think Etienne would have been a better compliment to their backfield than Javonte.   I think there are better landing spots for Javonte Williams including a slew of teams early in round 2, but I'm not sure BUF can be completely ruled out.   Gainwell might make some sense for them unless they really like Breida.   If they do really like Breida, then I'm probably hoping for something that's already a lost cause.  However, I think Breida is just a Yeldon replacement.  An injury prone one at that.

If I survive Javonte and Gainwell, are there any clear upgrades after that?   Maybe Carter?   Possibly Sermon?   I'm not sure that either of those are clear upgrades over Moss.  However, if they decide they want to roll with a three-headed monster at RB, then there's another half-dozen that fit the bill, including Breida.

Would really like to see Moss get another crack at the top of this backfield with a revamped O-line.   If he can't do anything with it, good riddance.

menobrown said:
Devonta Smith is going to be a stud.
Move up, grab the last of the top tier WRs - which was also a huge need - and they still have 9 picks left.  Brilliantly executed.  

The Giants on the other hand were one step away from a guaranteed laid date with the prom queen, but flustered it and failed.  Ended up going to the humane society to let a bunch of dogs lick their face instead.  

How is that offense going to support the weapons it has?  I think we're dividing up 3,000 ish pass yards between all of the weapons.  Ertz is even still there.

Maybe Hurts is going to throw for more than I think...  I don't know.
I would expect Ertz to be gone. I like Goedert but I also think he's probably not what was advertised. He's a solid TE but nothing special. Why are we saying Reagor is the loser and not Smith? Similar draft capital, analytically Reagor was probably a slightly better prospect. I still think it's every bit as likely that Reagor is the lead WR here. 

If we have an Eagles draft day loser, I say Miles Sanders. Smith is soaking up targets. Smith and Reagor could help make Hurts successful in Philly. Rushing QBs tend to dump off to RBs less often. So maybe Miles drops in value a little because we can expect his target ceiling to drop. 

I would expect Ertz to be gone. I like Goedert but I also think he's probably not what was advertised. He's a solid TE but nothing special. Why are we saying Reagor is the loser and not Smith? Similar draft capital, analytically Reagor was probably a slightly better prospect. I still think it's every bit as likely that Reagor is the lead WR here. 
Yeah I can get on board with that. 

If we have an Eagles draft day loser, I say Miles Sanders. Smith is soaking up targets. Smith and Reagor could help make Hurts successful in Philly. Rushing QBs tend to dump off to RBs less often. So maybe Miles drops in value a little because we can expect his target ceiling to drop. 
I don't think there is a specific loser, I'm guessing it's going to be spread around a decent amount just like last year.

If Hurts is closer to 4000 yards passing (using 16 game thinking still) than 3000 I think it might not be too bad.  If not, their leading WR probably has 800 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread