What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early Dynasty rookie draft (1 Viewer)

Reagor before Ruggs, Jefferson is interesting. This is certainly a challenging batch of prospects to draft prior to their placement. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone invariably asks that. There are dynasty leagues out there that draft high school players. It just adds a little twist and then it's fun to sit back and see where your guys land and if your hunches pan out.
I can see how that part of it would be fun.   Seems like you'd have to follow college football closely to be competitive though.  

I can see how that part of it would be fun.   Seems like you'd have to follow college football closely to be competitive though.  
Well you certainly would think that. Actually, I haven't really watched much college football since I stopped gambling many years ago yet I've won this league 2 years straight.

I've had horrible overall drafts. Since 2013 I've literally only hit on 1 guy per draft but most were great hits.

Cjw_55106 said:
What is the logic to drafting before the NFL? It seems like that lessens the chances of the worst teams getting the optimal results. 
Encourages the research that goes into rookie rankings.  I for one am all for it, but none of my leagues do it that way. 

Cjw_55106 said:
What is the logic to drafting before the NFL? It seems like that lessens the chances of the worst teams getting the optimal results. 
Not for guppies I guess. 30 man rosters (40 offseason) and 7 rounds of rookie draft so you can take a lot of shots and those 2/3 (and deeper) picks can be really good players. 
It’s easy for anyone to find a list post draft and draft off of that- this is one of the few remaining leagues I’m in where you actually have to do the work and forge your own path. It’s also fun to see where your guys land, makes the draft more fun, unless you draft Kelvin harmon in rd one. 

Tool said:
You don’t have to watch college football. You do have to research, look at combine results, etc. and be willing to go against the grain a bit. Can’t be afraid to make a mistake or wonder “is this guy good?” and be afraid to take him even if the “experts” like someone else- especially this year where the top 5–7 could be in just about any order and the next 15-20 as well. 

King of the Jungle said:
Reagor before Ruggs, Jefferson is interesting. This is certainly a challenging batch of prospects to draft prior to their placement. 
There doesn’t seem to be much consensus beyond Lamb and Jeudy. Ruggs, Raegor, Jefferson, Mimms seem to be the most popular ones to be ranked after those two. 

There doesn’t seem to be much consensus beyond Lamb and Jeudy. Ruggs, Raegor, Jefferson, Mimms seem to be the most popular ones to be ranked after those two. 
Agree, and I like Reagor. I do think most mocks have Jefferson and Ruggs in the first round whereas I have not seen Reagor places there nearly as much. I have Reagor as my 5th WR right now and he may move up depending on landing spot.

Jefferson and Aiyuk feel like value at their spots. If I can get Pittman at 2.03 that's cool with me.  Looks early for Dillon. 

I am intrigued by the concept of drafting before the NFL draft, watching your guys get picked must make draft day a LOT more exciting.  

I wouldn't do it in a money league, because I am big on avoiding certain NFL franchises, but in a fun dynasty? Seems interesting.  

Boone22 said:
interesting to me that Zack Moss fell that far.  
I think what this early draft shows is just how deep this class is. Obviously all of the players won’t work out and some guys will land in terrible spots but the guys going in the late second and early third are much better prospects that what usually falls there.

To each his own. Research doesn’t help if your rb gets drafted into a committee. 
And here is why sometimes the before draft can be better. 

AJ Brown last year perfect example. Highly rated before draft. Goes to Tennessee and drops. Someone gets steal on talent over situation. My league does lots of early mocks and was top 5. Dropped to round 2. 

same can be applied to committee. One of the big RBs goes to Titans with Henry there. Do you really think they will stay RBBC for years or do they apprentice for a year. But tier 2 RB goes to KC at 63 or 96 and shoots up boards ala Darrell Henderson last year. I think situation can play too big a role post draft. 

I rather draft after draft but just for knowing draft capital. I find as guy that usually picks late, that I am after talent over immediate need and thus end up with steals. I was in league for years where we drafted before. I thought it helped the guppies more. They really get caught up in situation over talent post draft.

Of course you have your Hakeem Butler types who get tons of love predraft hype and fall but they go early anyways. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread