What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early Fav for the Dolphins Draft Pick? (1 Viewer)

Dorsey will be completely healthy for the championship game and he will dominate OSU which will lead the Dolphins to choose him

Trade down. You need a whole bunch of players. When you get to a later round, take Colt Brennan. he is the absolute steal of the draft, another Tom Brady.

If I were GM of the Dolphins I'd lean more toward a selection of Jake Long, the OT from Michigan.

Dorsey, McFadden, and a QB (probably Brohm) will most likely go 1-3 in some order but I'd try everything in my power to trade down to #4 and secure the OT's rights. The Dolphins are not going anywhere until they can assist this past seasons top 2 picks (Ted Ginn and John Beck) and their true franchise player (Ronnie Brown). The offensive side of the ball is where this team has made some sizeable investments and selecting the best offensive lineman will help make those initial selections that much better.

Trade down. You need a whole bunch of players. When you get to a later round, take Colt Brennan. he is the absolute steal of the draft, another Tom Brady.
The issue is which team will trade up.
the price of trading up will be very, very high.
Yep. If I were the GM of a bad team why would I give up multiple draft picks for the honor of paying 35 million guaranteed to a player I am hoping is worth it.

I was told in another thread earlier that there is no way in helk that the Dolphins consider a franchise QB with the 1.1. Be careful or they'll come after you too. :mellow:

Dolphins 1.1 talk

Beck is not a franchise QB. Today only proved my point even more. He was horrible against a weak Jets D. I don't think you can take anything posotive from that game that Beck had today. He is not a franchise QB.

I would love to say that Dallas' two first round picks and their first rounder next year would be enough to go up and get McFadden, but with as well as both Dallas and Cleveland are playing this year the math won't match up. Really hard to come up with those 3000 points if you aren't drafting in five.

As for Miami, with their RB, WR and QB(maybe) of the future in place, I think you gotta go Dorsey or Long.

I was told in another thread earlier that there is no way in helk that the Dolphins consider a franchise QB with the 1.1. Be careful or they'll come after you too. ;)

Dolphins 1.1 talk

Beck is not a franchise QB. Today only proved my point even more. He was horrible against a weak Jets D. I don't think you can take anything posotive from that game that Beck had today. He is not a franchise QB.
Sorry for the Honda, I did a search and did not find any matches.

Unless the Dolphins switch back to a 4-3 I doubt they take Dorsey with their pick, in my opinion, Long makes more sense right now.

Glenn DorseyNo question in my mind that that's who they should take.
:goodposting:
The "next Warren Sapp"?
When he is at his best, he kind of reminds me of Richard Seymour
So is that worth a #1 overall pick, especially with a RB like McFadden available?
Is a RB like McFadden worth the #1 pick in the NFL? I don't think so. We're too inclined to see stud RBs and think they're the most valuable player on the team after QB, it just isn't so - except the LTs, Westbrooks, and AD's of the league. Even with those, I don't know that you'd find GMs saying they're more valuable than Seymour, Henderson, KW, Champ, Jason Taylor, Julius Peppers, Osi, etc. (feel free to disagree with my list, the point will remain)

Glenn DorseyNo question in my mind that that's who they should take.
:popcorn:
The "next Warren Sapp"?
When he is at his best, he kind of reminds me of Richard Seymour
So is that worth a #1 overall pick, especially with a RB like McFadden available?
Is a RB like McFadden worth the #1 pick in the NFL? I don't think so. We're too inclined to see stud RBs and think they're the most valuable player on the team after QB, it just isn't so - except the LTs, Westbrooks, and AD's of the league. Even with those, I don't know that you'd find GMs saying they're more valuable than Seymour, Henderson, KW, Champ, Jason Taylor, Julius Peppers, Osi, etc. (feel free to disagree with my list, the point will remain)
I agree and they have an RB that is proven NFL talent. QB? It is likely too early to really tell in Beck. What use to be a solid D is aged and not nearly as effective as it once was. They have needs on both sides of the ball, the real question for them should be if we can not trade down- who has the absolute best value for us.

NOBODY trades up for a #1 anymore. Forget it. They will have to take a player and it will probably be a QB.

I was told in another thread earlier that there is no way in helk that the Dolphins consider a franchise QB with the 1.1. Be careful or they'll come after you too. :goodposting:

Dolphins 1.1 talk

your gonna write off beck after 2starts? EVERY rookie QB struggles and he's playing on one of the all time worst teams in nfl history. he has for weapons: chatman(scrub),ginn JR(please),booker(should be scrub),hagan(potential scrub), a junk TE, a young rebuilding Oline(which turned starting QB into roadkill) , and a defense that can no longer stop the wind. am i missing something or someone? what in the world are u expecting from beckthe dolphins have so many holes they HAVE to trade down for more picks. if they could trade down and somehow get jake long or howie long's son(is it chris?) and another blue chipper at OL or DL they'd be so much better off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told in another thread earlier that there is no way in helk that the Dolphins consider a franchise QB with the 1.1. Be careful or they'll come after you too. :D

Dolphins 1.1 talk

your gonna write off beck after 2starts? EVERY rookie QB struggles and he's playing on one of the all time worst teams in nfl history. he has for weapons: chatman(scrub),ginn JR(please),booker(should be scrub),hagan(potential scrub), a junk TE, a young rebuilding Oline(which turned starting QB into roadkill) , and a defense that can no longer stop the wind. am i missing something or someone? what in the world are u expecting from beckthe dolphins have so many holes they HAVE to trade down for more picks. if they could trade down and somehow get jake long or howie long's son(is it chris?) and another blue chipper at OL or DL they'd be so much better off.
:rolleyes: :devil: I don't care if it were a young Peyton Manning back there, no QB could succeed on this offense right now, especially as a rookie.

You do not keep throwing picks at QB without addressing the core of the team - the lines.

With time in the pocket, Beck might be good and Ginn might even be able to get open. We just can't evaluate the skill players right now.

The key is a franchise QB. How many are there in the league right now? I would say Brady, P. Manning, Big Ben, Romo, Palmer, and Favre on his way out. And that's it. several of these other guys COULD be franchise, but they're not there yet. If the franchise guy is out there in the draft, you've got to take him no matter who else is there.

According to the scouts, that means Brohm or Woodson. I personally think that Brennan is the guy, but you don't need to spend the first pick on him. I don't think Beck is a franchise guy.

Whoever it is, you've got to get him. It would be worth it to spend the next three years with terrble teams so long at least one draft pick produced that franchise guy. The Lions have wasted the last five years worth of drafts because they couldn't figure this out. Just keep drafting QBs until you get the one you need.

The key is a franchise QB. How many are there in the league right now? I would say Brady, P. Manning, Big Ben, Romo, Palmer, and Favre on his way out. And that's it. several of these other guys COULD be franchise, but they're not there yet. If the franchise guy is out there in the draft, you've got to take him no matter who else is there.According to the scouts, that means Brohm or Woodson. I personally think that Brennan is the guy, but you don't need to spend the first pick on him. I don't think Beck is a franchise guy. Whoever it is, you've got to get him. It would be worth it to spend the next three years with terrble teams so long at least one draft pick produced that franchise guy. The Lions have wasted the last five years worth of drafts because they couldn't figure this out. Just keep drafting QBs until you get the one you need.
All the top three QBs have big question marks and it's definitely debatable whether or not they're "franchise" QBs.I personally rate all three behind Brady Quinn. I too am impressed with Colt Brennan. He's VERY accurate and can throw on the run really well. I don't care if his stats are inflated by the system. In a "normal" system, he'd be putting up great numbers. If he gets past the 2nd round, someone got a steal.

The key is a franchise QB. How many are there in the league right now? I would say Brady, P. Manning, Big Ben, Romo, Palmer, and Favre on his way out. And that's it. several of these other guys COULD be franchise, but they're not there yet. If the franchise guy is out there in the draft, you've got to take him no matter who else is there.According to the scouts, that means Brohm or Woodson. I personally think that Brennan is the guy, but you don't need to spend the first pick on him. I don't think Beck is a franchise guy. Whoever it is, you've got to get him. It would be worth it to spend the next three years with terrble teams so long at least one draft pick produced that franchise guy. The Lions have wasted the last five years worth of drafts because they couldn't figure this out. Just keep drafting QBs until you get the one you need.
so keep qutting on your QB every year if he doesn't pan out? How do you give up on Beck after three weeks on a bad team?

To trade down...you must have a buyer. That's the problem.

Dolphins have stockpiled a bunch of round 2 picks, so they're in a rebuilding phase. Do I think they should trade down? Absofreakinglylutley! Do I think they can and some team would have to give up a LOT to get either McFadden or Dorsey. I'm talking top 3-5 pick in the 1st round as the dropoff is huge.

The Dolphins would love to have a healthy Dorsey. But if they can trade down with the number 3 pick so they can jump ahead of number 2 to get THEIR person...do it and grab Chris Long. Second best regarded DE/DT at the moment.

Do I think it will happen? No. Case in point...did anyone pay any attention to last years Miami draft? You could take the Hitler being banned from Microsoft LIVE youtube...or the reaction vids from 2 girls 1 cup...and caption the Miami draft party reactions and they'd be one in the same.

so keep qutting on your QB every year if he doesn't pan out? How do you give up on Beck after three weeks on a bad team?
Look at the five I just mentioned and what they have in common: Manning, Ben, Romo, Palmer, and Favre were all noticeably special the moment they took over the reigns. So were Montana, Marino, Elway. There are examples of QBs who start off as terrible and become good or great over time, but I keep noticing how so many of these special guys already start off pretty good.So yes, I would keep drafting QBs and keep discarding them if I have to, in order to find that one diamond. Suppose Tom Brady is out there; isn't it worth it?

Look at the five I just mentioned and what they have in common: Manning, Ben, Romo, Palmer, and Favre were all noticeably special the moment they took over the reigns. So were Montana, Marino, Elway. There are examples of QBs who start off as terrible and become good or great over time, but I keep noticing how so many of these special guys already start off pretty good.
Romo was an undrafted free agent. Should the Dolphins not draft a QB at all then?Favre was acquired in trade. Should they trade for a QB?
So yes, I would keep drafting QBs and keep discarding them if I have to, in order to find that one diamond. Suppose Tom Brady is out there; isn't it worth it?
I would definitely draft Tom Brady if he were available in the 6th round this year.

The key is a franchise QB. How many are there in the league right now? I would say Brady, P. Manning, Big Ben, Romo, Palmer, and Favre on his way out. And that's it. several of these other guys COULD be franchise, but they're not there yet. If the franchise guy is out there in the draft, you've got to take him no matter who else is there.

According to the scouts, that means Brohm or Woodson. I personally think that Brennan is the guy, but you don't need to spend the first pick on him. I don't think Beck is a franchise guy.

Whoever it is, you've got to get him. It would be worth it to spend the next three years with terrble teams so long at least one draft pick produced that franchise guy. The Lions have wasted the last five years worth of drafts because they couldn't figure this out. Just keep drafting QBs until you get the one you need.
Look at the five I just mentioned and what they have in common: Manning, Ben, Romo, Palmer, and Favre were all noticeably special the moment they took over the reigns. So were Montana, Marino, Elway. There are examples of QBs who start off as terrible and become good or great over time, but I keep noticing how so many of these special guys already start off pretty good.So yes, I would keep drafting QBs and keep discarding them if I have to, in order to find that one diamond. Suppose Tom Brady is out there; isn't it worth it?
I dont think Manning was so special in his first season. Ben was good, but he was on a very good team. Romo, Palmer, and Favre did not play as rookies. Tough to compare these guys to a rookie QB who took over an 0-9 team without it's top RB or top WR, then played 2 games against 2 tough defenses in bad (or horrendous) weather. The Jets game was horrid, but I have a hard time counting the other 2 against Beck. You may ultimately be correct that he is not a franchise guy, but in my opinion we are a ways away from determining that at this point. I dont want a Rivers/Brees or Anderson/Quinn problem on my team when I have other needs to address with that pick. At least not based upon what we have (not) seen so far.

I don't know what Cam Cameron's philosophy is but I really don't think they are taking a QB at #1. I expect it to be Dorsey or Jake Long.

Trade down would be nice, with no clear cut #1 overall talent, but assuming the Dolphins can't, the answer is not as difficult as you might think - not in the abstract. The answer is that they should take whomever they decide is the best overall player in the draft, regardless of position. They will be signing this player to such a huge deal that choosing a bust, or even an average starting quality player will be crippling to the franchise. You also have to look deeper than their current roster and just 2008 (or even 2009). That's why my answer right now is Darren McFadden. Your first response might be, what about Ronnie Brown? Brown's recovery is not a given, and he's only under contract for two more years. Also, having two stud RBs that give you totally different looks is not a bad thing, and will loosen things up for Beck. But those factors are secondary, I say McFadden because I see him as the single most outstanding talent in the upcoming draft class - go to draftguys in the Spring and I'll be breaking McFadden down in detail to flesh out why he is the most outstanding talent in the draft this year.

If you believe Long or Dorsey is the single best draft eligible player in the nation, then they should be the pick, the one thing that should play NO factor is who is currently on the roster - unless there's some sort of 50/50 call, but if you're making a call on a question this important, I would hope that you have some clarity. This decision is way too important to botch by say, passing on Glenn Dorsey because he's not a PERFECT fit for the defense, or passing on Jake Long, because Vernon Carey might end up working out. The player taken at #1 overall will instantly become a top 5 paid player at his position - it is more important to nail that pick than to avoid redundancy on the roster or get obsessed with how a player fits in the current coaching staff's systems. I really think this should be the approach for all of the top 5-10 picks. Who is currently on the roster should be the last factor that plays in. We see how quickly fortunes rise and fall in the "Not For Long" league. Take the player you know is the best talent, and let the chips fall where they may - any other approach when a team has a premium first round pick is foolish - ask Minnesota how this worked out for them.

All the top three QBs have big question marks and it's definitely debatable whether or not they're "franchise" QBs.I personally rate all three behind Brady Quinn. I too am impressed with Colt Brennan. He's VERY accurate and can throw on the run really well. I don't care if his stats are inflated by the system. In a "normal" system, he'd be putting up great numbers. If he gets past the 2nd round, someone got a steal.
Could you list the question marks for the top 3 QB's. As I have said before I have not seen much of Brohm but I think Woodson is the best. Awesome arm, touch on his passes good size and he has improved every year. With Ryan there is just something about him that screams average.

Trade down would be nice, with no clear cut #1 overall talent, but assuming the Dolphins can't, the answer is not as difficult as you might think - not in the abstract. The answer is that they should take whomever they decide is the best overall player in the draft, regardless of position. They will be signing this player to such a huge deal that choosing a bust, or even an average starting quality player will be crippling to the franchise. You also have to look deeper than their current roster and just 2008 (or even 2009). That's why my answer right now is Darren McFadden. Your first response might be, what about Ronnie Brown? Brown's recovery is not a given, and he's only under contract for two more years. Also, having two stud RBs that give you totally different looks is not a bad thing, and will loosen things up for Beck. But those factors are secondary, I say McFadden because I see him as the single most outstanding talent in the upcoming draft class - go to draftguys in the Spring and I'll be breaking McFadden down in detail to flesh out why he is the most outstanding talent in the draft this year.If you believe Long or Dorsey is the single best draft eligible player in the nation, then they should be the pick, the one thing that should play NO factor is who is currently on the roster - unless there's some sort of 50/50 call, but if you're making a call on a question this important, I would hope that you have some clarity. This decision is way too important to botch by say, passing on Glenn Dorsey because he's not a PERFECT fit for the defense, or passing on Jake Long, because Vernon Carey might end up working out. The player taken at #1 overall will instantly become a top 5 paid player at his position - it is more important to nail that pick than to avoid redundancy on the roster or get obsessed with how a player fits in the current coaching staff's systems. I really think this should be the approach for all of the top 5-10 picks. Who is currently on the roster should be the last factor that plays in. We see how quickly fortunes rise and fall in the "Not For Long" league. Just take the player you know is the best talent, and let the chips fall where they may - any other approach when a team has a premium first round pick is foolish.
Counterpiont:I agree in principle. Although I would have a very difficult time selecting a running back with my first pick given the average career span of an NFL RB.I want my #1 overall pick to be a guy that lasts for 5+ years. The likelihood of an NFL back making it past that point is statistically reduced.That's why Dorsey is the pick. When healthy, which he will be come game time 2008, Dorsey will be a terror on the field and will make your whole defense better and will do so for nearly a decade (again, statistically speaking).

:goodposting: I really enjoy your commentary Bloom; even when I disagree you at least provide your reasoning rather just a biased opinion.
Trade down would be nice, with no clear cut #1 overall talent, but assuming the Dolphins can't, the answer is not as difficult as you might think - not in the abstract. The answer is that they should take whomever they decide is the best overall player in the draft, regardless of position. They will be signing this player to such a huge deal that choosing a bust, or even an average starting quality player will be crippling to the franchise. You also have to look deeper than their current roster and just 2008 (or even 2009). That's why my answer right now is Darren McFadden. Your first response might be, what about Ronnie Brown? Brown's recovery is not a given, and he's only under contract for two more years. Also, having two stud RBs that give you totally different looks is not a bad thing, and will loosen things up for Beck. But those factors are secondary, I say McFadden because I see him as the single most outstanding talent in the upcoming draft class - go to draftguys in the Spring and I'll be breaking McFadden down in detail to flesh out why he is the most outstanding talent in the draft this year.If you believe Long or Dorsey is the single best draft eligible player in the nation, then they should be the pick, the one thing that should play NO factor is who is currently on the roster - unless there's some sort of 50/50 call, but if you're making a call on a question this important, I would hope that you have some clarity. This decision is way too important to botch by say, passing on Glenn Dorsey because he's not a PERFECT fit for the defense, or passing on Jake Long, because Vernon Carey might end up working out. The player taken at #1 overall will instantly become a top 5 paid player at his position - it is more important to nail that pick than to avoid redundancy on the roster or get obsessed with how a player fits in the current coaching staff's systems. I really think this should be the approach for all of the top 5-10 picks. Who is currently on the roster should be the last factor that plays in. We see how quickly fortunes rise and fall in the "Not For Long" league. Take the player you know is the best talent, and let the chips fall where they may - any other approach when a team has a premium first round pick is foolish - ask Minnesota how this worked out for them.

Could you list the question marks for the top 3 QB's. As I have said before I have not seen much of Brohm but I think Woodson is the best. Awesome arm, touch on his passes good size and he has improved every year. With Ryan there is just something about him that screams average.
Probably nothing too specific at this point, but here are my general observations (and those of those far more "expert" than I) Woodson - Is he a one year wonder? How many times have we seen a guy light it up for one season only to bust in the NFL? He does have a nice frame, but the biggest knock on him is his delivery. He has a bit of a wind up, a-la Bryon Leftwich, and that may not bode well for the NFL game.Ryan - In a word, he's "reckless". He plays really well for about 90% of the game, but then he throws up a real stinker that makes you question his decision making ability. This may be overrated though, since he totally carried that BC team this year. I had a knee jerk reaction to that interception he threw at the end of the ACC Championship game, but then I found out it was fourth down and he had nothing to lose by trying.Brohm - Probably the least risky pick in my eyes. But he also doesn't have as much upside as the other two. But when you're starting off at such a polished state, it's hard to have more upside. He too has carried his team.If I were the Miami GM, and the owner commanded me to pick a QB but it was my choice as to who, it would be Brohm.

Probably nothing too specific at this point, but here are my general observations (and those of those far more "expert" than I) Woodson - Is he a one year wonder? How many times have we seen a guy light it up for one season only to bust in the NFL? He does have a nice frame, but the biggest knock on him is his delivery. He has a bit of a wind up, a-la Bryon Leftwich, and that may not bode well for the NFL game.Ryan - In a word, he's "reckless". He plays really well for about 90% of the game, but then he throws up a real stinker that makes you question his decision making ability. This may be overrated though, since he totally carried that BC team this year. I had a knee jerk reaction to that interception he threw at the end of the ACC Championship game, but then I found out it was fourth down and he had nothing to lose by trying.Brohm - Probably the least risky pick in my eyes. But he also doesn't have as much upside as the other two. But when you're starting off at such a polished state, it's hard to have more upside. He too has carried his team.If I were the Miami GM, and the owner commanded me to pick a QB but it was my choice as to who, it would be Brohm.
Look at Woodsons numbers, he has improved every year so I think the "one hit wonder" card will not work here. With Ryan there is just something about him that I dont like. Woodson carries his team and i just dont see that with Ryan. I remember Brohm last year and he looked pretty good.

Look at Woodsons numbers, he has improved every year so I think the "one hit wonder" card will not work here. With Ryan there is just something about him that I dont like. Woodson carries his team and i just dont see that with Ryan. I remember Brohm last year and he looked pretty good.
I looked at his passing stats. Hard not to improve on numbers like 1644/6/6, his 2006 numbers.I'm not saying he's not an elite prospect. I'm just saying we've seen this type of rise before so it makes me wary.

Users who are viewing this thread