What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early Fav for the Dolphins Draft Pick? (2 Viewers)

There are too many needs on this team to spend the number 1 overall. They have to draft McFadden and force the Cowboys to trade their picks to get him. Both firsts this year and next years first. Two years from now the Dolphins will be completely overhauled.

There are too many needs on this team to spend the number 1 overall. They have to draft McFadden and force the Cowboys to trade their picks to get him. Both firsts this year and next years first. Two years from now the Dolphins will be completely overhauled.
:goodposting:Give it a try and see if you can get the Cowboys to pony up those two picks for McFadden after they re-sign Barber.

Give it a try and see if you can get the Cowboys to pony up those two picks for McFadden after they re-sign Barber.
First, I never said they weren't going to keep Barber. Second, you may be right and the Dolphins get stuck with McFadden. How bad would that actually be considering their drafting history of late? I just think that JJ wants him bad and may be willing to trade up to get him.

Give it a try and see if you can get the Cowboys to pony up those two picks for McFadden after they re-sign Barber.
First, I never said they weren't going to keep Barber. Second, you may be right and the Dolphins get stuck with McFadden. How bad would that actually be considering their drafting history of late? I just think that JJ wants him bad and may be willing to trade up to get him.
I'm sorry. I came across too strong there. I don't think the Dolphins would want two later first round picks for their #1 overall.And I don't think that Jones has that big of a woody for McFadden that he would give up those picks to take a guy at a position of as much need as say, D-back or WR is for them.

Glenn DorseyNo question in my mind that that's who they should take.
:rolleyes:
The "next Warren Sapp"?
When he is at his best, he kind of reminds me of Richard Seymour
So is that worth a #1 overall pick, especially with a RB like McFadden available?
Is a RB like McFadden worth the #1 pick in the NFL? I don't think so. We're too inclined to see stud RBs and think they're the most valuable player on the team after QB, it just isn't so - except the LTs, Westbrooks, and AD's of the league. Even with those, I don't know that you'd find GMs saying they're more valuable than Seymour, Henderson, KW, Champ, Jason Taylor, Julius Peppers, Osi, etc. (feel free to disagree with my list, the point will remain)
I agree with you generally speaking. But, when Darren McFadden BLOWS UP a workout...he could be the highest rated player to come out in a while.

Glenn DorseyNo question in my mind that that's who they should take.
:popcorn:
The "next Warren Sapp"?
When he is at his best, he kind of reminds me of Richard Seymour
So is that worth a #1 overall pick, especially with a RB like McFadden available?
I admit I don't follow defensive players that well, but a young Richard Seymour is probably worth #1 overall. For a RB to be worth it, they really need to develop into a HOF-caliber back (Sanders, Faulk, LT).

Trade down would be nice, with no clear cut #1 overall talent, but assuming the Dolphins can't, the answer is not as difficult as you might think - not in the abstract. The answer is that they should take whomever they decide is the best overall player in the draft, regardless of position. They will be signing this player to such a huge deal that choosing a bust, or even an average starting quality player will be crippling to the franchise. You also have to look deeper than their current roster and just 2008 (or even 2009). That's why my answer right now is Darren McFadden. Your first response might be, what about Ronnie Brown? Brown's recovery is not a given, and he's only under contract for two more years. Also, having two stud RBs that give you totally different looks is not a bad thing, and will loosen things up for Beck. But those factors are secondary, I say McFadden because I see him as the single most outstanding talent in the upcoming draft class - go to draftguys in the Spring and I'll be breaking McFadden down in detail to flesh out why he is the most outstanding talent in the draft this year.If you believe Long or Dorsey is the single best draft eligible player in the nation, then they should be the pick, the one thing that should play NO factor is who is currently on the roster - unless there's some sort of 50/50 call, but if you're making a call on a question this important, I would hope that you have some clarity. This decision is way too important to botch by say, passing on Glenn Dorsey because he's not a PERFECT fit for the defense, or passing on Jake Long, because Vernon Carey might end up working out. The player taken at #1 overall will instantly become a top 5 paid player at his position - it is more important to nail that pick than to avoid redundancy on the roster or get obsessed with how a player fits in the current coaching staff's systems. I really think this should be the approach for all of the top 5-10 picks. Who is currently on the roster should be the last factor that plays in. We see how quickly fortunes rise and fall in the "Not For Long" league. Take the player you know is the best talent, and let the chips fall where they may - any other approach when a team has a premium first round pick is foolish - ask Minnesota how this worked out for them.
What if Minnesota had the 1st pick this year, and McFadden was #1 on their board?

I would say that all three players (by most draft experts) slated to be # 1 picks play at positions where 1st round busts have been plenty so I really don't think their respective would be a factor in the sense of picking "from the position with less bust percentage in recent history".

In my opinion, and that opinion hasn't been shared by the Dolphins front office anytime in recent memory, if you do pick first overall and there isn't a potential franchise QB around (which in my eyes neither of Ryan, Brohm and Woodson are) I would say you go for the player with the most potential. Even tough I'm a firm believer in building your team up front (adding great players to the lines at both sides of the ball) McFadden would represent such potential, and I'm not sure Dorsey or Long are good enough to be selected this early.

I do think Dorsey (who is a superb DT prospect hands down) is a bad fit for what the Dolphins try to build defensively and I consider Jake Long a great tackle prospect but I'm not as comfortable with his ability as a left OT and his ability to handle speed rushers. Miami needs to invest heavily in there whole offensive line and needs to build a defensive identity that has to be made with plenty of picks-trades-free agents and I'm not sure a player single player like Dorsey and Long would pay off.

Of course it can be argued whether the Dolphins need McFadden next to Brown. However, I'm beginning to think you can never have to many young potential stud RBs and a two-headed monster would make the Dolphins more versatile on offense. That would also help the development of John Beck.

After all is said and done I'm afraid another "two-headed monster" (the one of Cameron and Mueller) will send word to Goddell that "with the first pick in the 2008 draft the Dolphins select... Brian Brohm!

Last edited by a moderator:
After all is said and done I'm afraid another "two-headed monster" (the one of Cameron and Mueller) will send word to Goddell that "with the first pick in the 2008 draft the Dolphins select... Brian Brohm!
:goodposting: I will spend all offseason terrified what Cam/Mueller will do wiith that #1 pick especially if Cam meets the families of the top prospects.

Trade down would be nice, with no clear cut #1 overall talent, but assuming the Dolphins can't, the answer is not as difficult as you might think - not in the abstract. The answer is that they should take whomever they decide is the best overall player in the draft, regardless of position. They will be signing this player to such a huge deal that choosing a bust, or even an average starting quality player will be crippling to the franchise. You also have to look deeper than their current roster and just 2008 (or even 2009). That's why my answer right now is Darren McFadden. Your first response might be, what about Ronnie Brown? Brown's recovery is not a given, and he's only under contract for two more years. Also, having two stud RBs that give you totally different looks is not a bad thing, and will loosen things up for Beck. But those factors are secondary, I say McFadden because I see him as the single most outstanding talent in the upcoming draft class - go to draftguys in the Spring and I'll be breaking McFadden down in detail to flesh out why he is the most outstanding talent in the draft this year.If you believe Long or Dorsey is the single best draft eligible player in the nation, then they should be the pick, the one thing that should play NO factor is who is currently on the roster - unless there's some sort of 50/50 call, but if you're making a call on a question this important, I would hope that you have some clarity. This decision is way too important to botch by say, passing on Glenn Dorsey because he's not a PERFECT fit for the defense, or passing on Jake Long, because Vernon Carey might end up working out. The player taken at #1 overall will instantly become a top 5 paid player at his position - it is more important to nail that pick than to avoid redundancy on the roster or get obsessed with how a player fits in the current coaching staff's systems. I really think this should be the approach for all of the top 5-10 picks. Who is currently on the roster should be the last factor that plays in. We see how quickly fortunes rise and fall in the "Not For Long" league. Take the player you know is the best talent, and let the chips fall where they may - any other approach when a team has a premium first round pick is foolish - ask Minnesota how this worked out for them.
What if Minnesota had the 1st pick this year, and McFadden was #1 on their board?
:goodposting:I agree with Bloom, but only to a certain extent. If you have a decent RB but not earth shattering (C Taylor), yeah you go for the top RB (Vikings 2007 draft). But if you have a very young player signed long-term (let's say Colts after P Manning's 1st or 2nd year), no way you go QB if you have the 1.1 pick unless you KNOW you can trade the pick for market value.That reasoning only stands for RB and QB since they are the only positions where you only need one elite player.

:lmao:I agree with Bloom, but only to a certain extent. If you have a decent RB but not earth shattering (C Taylor), yeah you go for the top RB (Vikings 2007 draft). But if you have a very young player signed long-term (let's say Colts after P Manning's 1st or 2nd year), no way you go QB if you have the 1.1 pick unless you KNOW you can trade the pick for market value.That reasoning only stands for RB and QB since they are the only positions where you only need one elite player.
Exactly. Obviously there are a few exceptions - if you have a franchise player at the beginning of their career, then you probably look elsewhere - however, if Minnesota had the #1 pick this year and went with McFadden, I would not begrudge them one bit. McFadden can play some WR, he can take some snaps, and you could really pull some evil genius stuff with those two in the same backfield. QB is more and cut and dry, you cant really use a backup QB to help you win games the way you can use a second back.

What does their money situation look like? Do they have plenty of room under the cap? Doesn't what you can and can not do in free agency reflect into who you should take in the draft? Or should that even matter?

Very Simple - Best player available. You can not afford to reach for need and invest so much $$$$ with the # 1 pick. Look what happened to the 49ers taking Alex Smith.

There are so many holes on that team they need help at every single position.

They also need to cut Zach Thomas and see if there are takers for Jason Taylor (not sure of cap ramifications of either). Time to jettison the agin players and start from scratch.

Well they wasted on a kick returner this past draft and a 2nd on a QB so I will say......another kick returner. The WR from California. :bag:

When will this team ever win again?

They have to take Dorsey.

They just get pushed around at the line of scrimmage so easily. Its embarrasing for the league.

They just get pushed around at the line of scrimmage so easily. Its embarrasing for the league.
This is the reason they'll take either Dorsey or Chris Long.Parcells has already stated that stopping the run will be his #1 priority.

They have to take Dorsey.They just get pushed around at the line of scrimmage so easily. Its embarrasing for the league.
Dorsey seems to be the best player available at a crucial position. Why not?
It may depend on if the coach hired runs the Parcell's style 3-4 versus 4-3. dorsey is a great 4-3 tackle, but chances are in a power 3-4 that asks linemen to tie up blockers, the Dolphins would not be making best use of Dorsey penatration talents.

They have to take Dorsey.They just get pushed around at the line of scrimmage so easily. Its embarrasing for the league.
It may depend on if the coach hired runs the Parcell's style 3-4 versus 4-3. dorsey is a great 4-3 tackle, but chances are in a power 3-4 that asks linemen to tie up blockers, the Dolphins would not be making best use of Dorsey penatration talents.
There was a guy on ESPN that talked about what a force Dorsey was constantly being double teamed and beating them. I was scratching my head because the ONLY reason I watched the game (seriously, I didn't care who won) was to look at Dorsey. I watched almost every play a few times with a constant focus on him. To my surprise not only was he NOT double teamed on almost all occasions, but he got handled by one blocker a lot. yes, he was double teamed on a few runs, just as any interior lineman gets doubled to create a lane, but I have to admit I was not impressed with Dorsey in this game. Obviously, my opinion was VERY different than this guy (didn't catch his name but he was a young guy).He had a sack and disrupted a run, but I would have expected a lot more from a guy who might be the #1 pick and was handled with one college lineman (unless this lineman is expected to go into the top 5 and I don't believe that to be the case.Did anyone else see it the way I did?

:goodposting:Give it a try and see if you can get the Cowboys to pony up those two picks for McFadden after they re-sign Barber.
Not so farfetched.

There was a guy on ESPN that talked about what a force Dorsey was constantly being double teamed and beating them. I was scratching my head because the ONLY reason I watched the game (seriously, I didn't care who won) was to look at Dorsey. I watched almost every play a few times with a constant focus on him. To my surprise not only was he NOT double teamed on almost all occasions, but he got handled by one blocker a lot. yes, he was double teamed on a few runs, just as any interior lineman gets doubled to create a lane, but I have to admit I was not impressed with Dorsey in this game. Obviously, my opinion was VERY different than this guy (didn't catch his name but he was a young guy).He had a sack and disrupted a run, but I would have expected a lot more from a guy who might be the #1 pick and was handled with one college lineman (unless this lineman is expected to go into the top 5 and I don't believe that to be the case.Did anyone else see it the way I did?
I was trying to watch Dorsey mostly and noticed the exact same things. He was hardly ever double teamed and was fairly well handled.

I was trying to watch Dorsey mostly and noticed the exact same things. He was hardly ever double teamed and was fairly well handled.
I have to agree. I watched Dorsey a lot this season and simply was not impressed. I actually came away from most all games thinking LSU had at least 3 other players on that D that would become better pros (Ali Highsmith, Jonathan Zenon and Chevis Jackson). I was giving him the benefit of the doubt knowing that he was said to be hampered by injuries. Still, I wasn't all that impressed after watching the OSU game either. :thumbup: Either way, I think based on scouting reports I've seen and heard Mia has to take Dorsey or Long. My choice would be Long. Trading down is simply not going to happen. Forget about it.

I saw him double teamed at least 15 times. And really wasn't paying attention. Gholston was the guy that really didn't impress me. Gonna get pushed around in the run if he can't add weight (As a 4-3 end).

Gholston was the guy that really didn't impress me. Gonna get pushed around in the run if he can't add weight (As a 4-3 end).
Gholston's value is going to be in a 3-4 scheme. He can become a star if drafted be the right team and scheme.

I saw him double teamed at least 15 times. And really wasn't paying attention. Gholston was the guy that really didn't impress me. Gonna get pushed around in the run if he can't add weight (As a 4-3 end).
I did not pay much special attention to it but it did seem like he was getting extra attention. Odd how people can have different impressions.

Trade down to someone who covets McFadden.
I love how everyone jumps to the "trade down" jargon...no longer are the days where an NFL team trades up to the very top of the draft. If nobody was willing to trade up for Reggie Bush(the so called best rb prospect to come out in a long time) 2 years ago and nobody was willing to trade up for Calvin Johnson(the so called best wr prospect to come out in a long time) last year, what makes you think a team will be interested in trading up this year?????? I am sorry but I just don't see any teams trading up that far in the draft now or in the immediate future. Salaries for those top picks are just way too high to risk that much.IMO the dolphins are stuck with the #1 pick.

IMO the dolphins are stuck with the #1 pick.
I agree. I don't think they'll find a rhumba partner for the trade-down dance. I think they take Dorsey and hope someone else wants to trade for the player afterwards.The team that is really in the crow's nest for trading down is New England - about 15 seconds after the Dolphins take their guy.Now, all that said, I think the Dolphins' best move is to take OT Jake Long and shore up the o-line for the next ten years.

I agree. I don't think they'll find a rhumba partner for the trade-down dance. I think they take Dorsey and hope someone else wants to trade for the player afterwards.The team that is really in the crow's nest for trading down is New England - about 15 seconds after the Dolphins take their guy.Now, all that said, I think the Dolphins' best move is to take OT Jake Long and shore up the o-line for the next ten years.
Is Jake Long really that much of a can't miss prospect? (as much as that is ever true in the NFL)

I think that the Dolphins go with Chris Long. He has the size and speed to play DE in a 3-4, and has been playing against doubleteams all year. I do not think that Dorsey is a 3-4 NT and would not fit their scheme. Jake Long is a great player, but I think that their oline showed improvement this year.

Domination - do you think Chris Long is worth the #1 overall?

I think if they can drop to the 4 to 8 range and he's there, that's their guy, but I don't think they will select him #1 overall.

Re: the other Long - no, I do not think he is as can't miss a prospect as, say, Robert Gallery. <<ggg>> My point with raising that name is that the team could use a franchise LT, and Jake Long is as good as it gets this year. He is definitely worth a top-4 selection, so my preference is for them to address the OL over a Dorsey I don't trust and a McFadden they don't really need.

I have to agree. I watched Dorsey a lot this season and simply was not impressed. I actually came away from most all games thinking LSU had at least 3 other players on that D that would become better pros (Ali Highsmith, Jonathan Zenon and Chevis Jackson). I was giving him the benefit of the doubt knowing that he was said to be hampered by injuries. Still, I wasn't all that impressed after watching the OSU game either. :kicksrock: Either way, I think based on scouting reports I've seen and heard Mia has to take Dorsey or Long. My choice would be Long. Trading down is simply not going to happen. Forget about it.
OK, we are far from experts, but I know I understand the game well enough to have some merit when I make my comments and I spend the time to get an educated opinion (I watched every play at least 2 times). Of course, it was ONE game and maybe he had cramps or the flu or whatever, but based on that one game I would not spend my 1st pick on that guy.Was he still injured?As for McFadden, I don't know enough about him to give any educated opinion, but I would take him if I couldn't trade down and/or I felt he was the clear cut best player in the draft. Ronnie Brown may never be the same again or he could be fine, but if your numbers tell you he is the guy I get the best player and let everything else fall into place.I do think the system is really bad where it can be a curse to have the early picks in the draft and they should limit the dollars a lot more...but it is what it is.

I have to agree. I watched Dorsey a lot this season and simply was not impressed. I actually came away from most all games thinking LSU had at least 3 other players on that D that would become better pros (Ali Highsmith, Jonathan Zenon and Chevis Jackson). I was giving him the benefit of the doubt knowing that he was said to be hampered by injuries. Still, I wasn't all that impressed after watching the OSU game either. :goodposting: Either way, I think based on scouting reports I've seen and heard Mia has to take Dorsey or Long. My choice would be Long. Trading down is simply not going to happen. Forget about it.
OK, we are far from experts, but I know I understand the game well enough to have some merit when I make my comments and I spend the time to get an educated opinion (I watched every play at least 2 times). Of course, it was ONE game and maybe he had cramps or the flu or whatever, but based on that one game I would not spend my 1st pick on that guy.Was he still injured?As for McFadden, I don't know enough about him to give any educated opinion, but I would take him if I couldn't trade down and/or I felt he was the clear cut best player in the draft. Ronnie Brown may never be the same again or he could be fine, but if your numbers tell you he is the guy I get the best player and let everything else fall into place.I do think the system is really bad where it can be a curse to have the early picks in the draft and they should limit the dollars a lot more...but it is what it is.
The Dolphins have so many holes, and if they are unable to trade down they will have to at least fill one of them. And RB is not one of those holes. The only way i see the Dolphins picking Darren McFadden is if they know for sure they will be able to trade him (such as how the Chargers picked Eli).

Marc Levin said:
Domination - do you think Chris Long is worth the #1 overall?I think if they can drop to the 4 to 8 range and he's there, that's their guy, but I don't think they will select him #1 overall.Re: the other Long - no, I do not think he is as can't miss a prospect as, say, Robert Gallery. <<ggg>> My point with raising that name is that the team could use a franchise LT, and Jake Long is as good as it gets this year. He is definitely worth a top-4 selection, so my preference is for them to address the OL over a Dorsey I don't trust and a McFadden they don't really need.
I was thinking Gallery when I asked the question.

Chadstroma said:
Is Jake Long really that much of a can't miss prospect? (as much as that is ever true in the NFL)
Whoever gets Long is going to take care of a tackle spot for 10-12 years with him on the roster. He could eventually be moved to RT or start out there, but he will be a huge asset to any line he gets put on.

Chadstroma said:
Whoever gets Long is going to take care of a tackle spot for 10-12 years with him on the roster. He could eventually be moved to RT or start out there, but he will be a huge asset to any line he gets put on.
The problem is that Vernon Carey has played well at LT, not great at pass protection but he gets the job done. He's probably better suited at RT but if he is getting the job done at LT then it's a waste to pass up a guy like Dorsey when it's not too difficult to find a RT. I would like the pick since it means Parcells saw something special in Jake Long.

awesomeness said:
Liquid Tension said:
I have to agree. I watched Dorsey a lot this season and simply was not impressed. I actually came away from most all games thinking LSU had at least 3 other players on that D that would become better pros (Ali Highsmith, Jonathan Zenon and Chevis Jackson). I was giving him the benefit of the doubt knowing that he was said to be hampered by injuries. Still, I wasn't all that impressed after watching the OSU game either. :nerd: Either way, I think based on scouting reports I've seen and heard Mia has to take Dorsey or Long. My choice would be Long. Trading down is simply not going to happen. Forget about it.
The Dolphins have so many holes, and if they are unable to trade down they will have to at least fill one of them. And RB is not one of those holes. The only way i see the Dolphins picking Darren McFadden is if they know for sure they will be able to trade him (such as how the Chargers picked Eli).
Here's my :goodposting: on the Dolphins drafting McFadden - they hear from very reliable sources that the Pats want him. I think the team can live with the Pats getting an interior lineman or another OL player, but they may really want to keep that weapon out of Belichick's hands.They can always trade him away for less than value or trade away Ronnie Brown's injury history.

Chadstroma said:
I agree. I don't think they'll find a rhumba partner for the trade-down dance. I think they take Dorsey and hope someone else wants to trade for the player afterwards.The team that is really in the crow's nest for trading down is New England - about 15 seconds after the Dolphins take their guy.

Now, all that said, I think the Dolphins' best move is to take OT Jake Long and shore up the o-line for the next ten years.
The problem is that Vernon Carey has played well at LT, not great at pass protection but he gets the job done. He's probably better suited at RT LG but if he is getting the job done at LT then it's a waste to pass up a guy like Dorsey when it's not too difficult to find a RT. I would like the pick since it means Parcells saw something special in Jake Long.
:corrected:He was drafted to be their LG and that is where he is best. I agree with your last sentence. Plus, the team can really use him at RT until he gets up to speed. Also remember that while Ricky is best when he hits the 1-2 holes and cutting, Ronnie does best running to the right.

ETA - there is something about Dorsey I do not trust/like. I do not believe that is the best use of their #1. But, in the vein of your last sentence, if Parcells sees him as worth the #1 overall, he IS worth the #1 overall.

awesomeness said:
Liquid Tension said:
I have to agree. I watched Dorsey a lot this season and simply was not impressed. I actually came away from most all games thinking LSU had at least 3 other players on that D that would become better pros (Ali Highsmith, Jonathan Zenon and Chevis Jackson). I was giving him the benefit of the doubt knowing that he was said to be hampered by injuries. Still, I wasn't all that impressed after watching the OSU game either. :nerd: Either way, I think based on scouting reports I've seen and heard Mia has to take Dorsey or Long. My choice would be Long. Trading down is simply not going to happen. Forget about it.
Here's my :goodposting: on the Dolphins drafting McFadden - they hear from very reliable sources that the Pats want him. I think the team can live with the Pats getting an interior lineman or another OL player, but they may really want to keep that weapon out of Belichick's hands.They can always trade him away for less than value or trade away Ronnie Brown's injury history.
I'd bet the Fins do not take Mcfadden and would take a lot less than anyone imagines to trade down as he did with the Jets bypassing Orlando Pace.Parcells is quoted as saying in todays' game the RB position is "DISPOSABLE".... I don' think he believes you tie up that kind of money or spend that kind of pick at the RB position..My pick is Chris Long - He can play a few positions and he can probably play both 3-4 and 4-3 if they want to mix it up - There's also no question to his character and I think the risk of him being a Bust might be the least of all these top 5 picks mentioned.....

My pick is Chris Long - He can play a few positions and he can probably play both 3-4 and 4-3 if they want to mix it up - There's also no question to his character and I think the risk of him being a Bust might be the least of all these top 5 picks mentioned.....
I've asked this before - is he worth/will Parcells spend the #1 overall on him when Jake Long and Dorsey are on the board?If yes, why?

Users who are viewing this thread