What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Earning an extra $500-$700 per month. Ideas? (1 Viewer)

Don’t know what your passionate about but from what I’ve seen people don’t stick with it, release regular material and grow an audience. They think the checks will immediately start following in. 
Yeah, it sounds easy until you really get into it and have to start coming up with new content.  Lots of ideas at the beginning but the key is to be consistent with the content.  (in a perfect world, more than 1 per day)

For my TikTok dog I was religiously putting out one video a day for about 3 months straight (during quarantine) and at the peak was gaining on average 5,000 new followers PER DAY.    After a while it just becomes a grind to keep making new fresh content.   And that's 7-12 second videos.   YouTube are longer 1-2 minute format videos, so even more work needed.

TikTok I got up to 231K followers and YouTube only got up to around 200 followers.

Made about $3K from TikTok.   Made $0 from YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
A buddy of mine I know from "another football board" started side-hustling as a bartender once or so a week and parlayed it into a couple-few times a week gig... working weddings and special events and whatnot.  Absolutely loves it and says he makes good money.  I see you've listed that as a potential gig, and I would say that's your best bet given your parameters.  

A buddy of mine I know from "another football board" started side-hustling as a bartender once or so a week and parlayed it into a couple-few times a week gig... working weddings and special events and whatnot.  Absolutely loves it and says he makes good money.  I see you've listed that as a potential gig, and I would say that's your best bet given your parameters.  
Yep, that's what I'm leaning towards.  Already purchased the $15 online license course to just have that in my back pocket and ready.

Gets me out at night, meet new people/women, don't have to take it too seriously and something I can more or less keep to a small number of nights per week so it's something I look forward to and not a daily money to survive dread thing.

As in teach them?    Nobody would want to learn yoga from me.  It would be an hour of stretching hamstrings.

My ex started teaching and proved to be a decent side hustle but yeah as a fellow inflexible FBG, I'd recommend just attending. 

My biggest concern is without any past bartending experience needing to start out at some hole in the wall dump to be able to say I've done it.   What type of place did this guy start at?

There's a decent place near me that's known but not huge and crazy that I could get my feet wet.  Thinking just pop in one night and break out the offdee charm so they know I can work a crowd.   I'll just learn some of the specialty drinks as I go.  Other than that, it's just a matter of smiling, being courteous, 80% of the time pouring a beer or mixing a Vodka/Club type of drink, cut up some fruit and wipe down the bar right?

Yep, that's what I'm leaning towards.  Already purchased the $15 online license course to just have that in my back pocket and ready.

Gets me out at night, meet new people/women, don't have to take it too seriously and something I can more or less keep to a small number of nights per week so it's something I look forward to and not a daily money to survive dread thing.

20ish years ago after getting let go from an architecture gig, I landed a once-per-week barback/bartending/bouncing gig at a local dive bar.  It was great.  I could drink behind the bar and just hang out with my buddies (from the other side of the bar).  Ended up drinking 40-50 bucks worth of booze every shift and got paid to just schmooze.  Of course I'd get home close to 4am smelling of beer and sweat, but it was totally worth it.

Good luck.

My biggest concern is without any past bartending experience needing to start out at some hole in the wall dump to be able to say I've done it.   What type of place did this guy start at?

There's a decent place near me that's known but not huge and crazy that I could get my feet wet.  Thinking just pop in one night and break out the offdee charm so they know I can work a crowd.   I'll just learn some of the specialty drinks as I go.  Other than that, it's just a matter of smiling, being courteous, 80% of the time pouring a beer or mixing a Vodka/Club type of drink, cut up some fruit and wipe down the bar right?

He doesn't work at a bar.  He works for a service that has bartenders work at weddings, etc.  I think you can find those jobs easier than landing at some bar.

But I imagine working at a bar would probably net you more "female interaction".  

I'd find a "mid-level dive".  Not too fancy, not too scummy.  I'd bet those get you the most bang for your buck.  Or buck for your bang, as it were.

I will say the bartending thing at nicer places has elevated.  People expect all the 'mixologist' stuff as well so it takes some practice/knowledge.  

I will say the bartending thing at nicer places has elevated.  People expect all the 'mixologist' stuff as well so it takes some practice/knowledge.  
Yeah but those are few and far between in Milwaukee.  Plus, I don’t have a handlebar mustache and a pocket watch on a chain.  

Not sure if these are in every state, but part real estate assistant. The agents give you part of the commission. Just need to make it clear you are part-time, but it could lead to other opportunities to buy cheap homes to flip or rent. 

I donate plasma twice a week. $480 per month for approximately 3-4 hours of my time each week. My understanding is that my area is on the low end of compensation for donors too.

Doesn't meet your criteria for meeting women though. 😕 

I donate plasma twice a week. $480 per month for approximately 3-4 hours of my time each week. My understanding is that my area is on the low end of compensation for donors too.

Interesting.  Any side effects from doing this so often or all normal immediately after? 

So $480 month for 12-16 hours?  Certainly a much better hourly rate compared to anything else that's been mentioned.   You just have to sit there and look at your phone?   How flexible are the hours you can come in?

So $480 month for 12-16 hours?  Certainly a much better hourly rate compared to anything else that's been mentioned.   You just have to sit there and look at your phone?   How flexible are the hours you can come in?
Exactly what I’m thinking. I work from home so can just respond to emails on my phone. Looks like I have 4 clinics that do it within 10 miles of me.  I could do this and bartending.  :millions: 

The one by me there’s a line first thing in the morning. Imagine a lot of these places are going to be a zoo with people struggling to pay bills. 

Food and beverage biz is what I do for a living.  Started as a bartender and have ran bars for close to 20yrs.  You aren’t going to walk into premium nights, you’ll likely get day shifts or off nights for a long while.  That’s tough sledding imo.  It’s also no cake walk of a job.  Long hours on your feet, late nights etc etc.  Also can you meet women,sure. But it’s not low hang fruit like you think it is, especially in your 40’s(?).   

Bottom line I’d wager you’ll find the work and effort aren’t worth what you will likely make.  Could you walk into a premium night gig with no experience where you hook women every night and pull down 200 a shift.  Maybe but the odds are stacked way way against it.  

Interesting.  Any side effects from doing this so often or all normal immediately after? 
No side effects. Basically like donating blood. They withdrawal blood, separate plasma from blood, and then return your blood back in you along with saline. 2 times within a 7 day period, with minimum 48 hrs between each donation is the max around here and I assume elsewhere. It kind of ties you into a set schedule though. I go each Tuesday and Friday. Your first donation takes a little longer (approx  2.5 hrs because the paperwork and a physical).

Yea, go in and answer about 25 questions on a computer each time (are you feeling well?, Have had any medical procedures since last donation?, Been around anyone with certain diseases since last donation? etc ). Nurse checks weight, BP, hematocrit levels, and temp. Get called back to drawing room. Donate while playing on phone or watch TV they have on the wall.

My facility is open 7am - 7pm, 7 days per week, with weekends being busiest times. Assume this just depends on individual clinics.

The one by me there’s a line first thing in the morning. Imagine a lot of these places are going to be a zoo with people struggling to pay bills. 
Same here. Opening time can be crazy, mid afternoons seem to be best around here. 

I get $40 first donation of week and $80 for second donation each week. I assumed this is just to encourage people to donate twice each week.

Same here. Opening time can be crazy, mid afternoons seem to be best around here. 

I get $40 first donation of week and $80 for second donation each week. I assumed this is just to encourage people to donate twice each week.
I quickly read online the bigger people get paid more because they are able to draw more plasma?  

Is "bigger" referring to fat, height, dong?

I quickly read online the bigger people get paid more because they are able to draw more plasma?  

Is "bigger" referring to fat, height, dong?
No difference for different size people here. I'm 230 and get the same as the 130 pounder.

Food and beverage biz is what I do for a living.  Started as a bartender and have ran bars for close to 20yrs.  You aren’t going to walk into premium nights, you’ll likely get day shifts or off nights for a long while.  That’s tough sledding imo.  It’s also no cake walk of a job.  Long hours on your feet, late nights etc etc.  Also can you meet women,sure. But it’s not low hang fruit like you think it is, especially in your 40’s(?).   

Bottom line I’d wager you’ll find the work and effort aren’t worth what you will likely make.  Could you walk into a premium night gig with no experience where you hook women every night and pull down 200 a shift.  Maybe but the odds are stacked way way against it.  
Good thoughts.  Yeah, I'm not expecting or even wanting to go into a premium place and work my ### off.   Reality is I work from home and just me and my dog,  most of my friends all lame and married so they don't get out often, dating here and there....so just an excuse to get out for a bit and interact.

The other part of this is that after my apt lease is up in March I'm planning to move downtown again. So the thought is get some initial experience at a mid-tier place for the next 8-9 months and then when move downtown have better chance at working at a cooler place in walking distance from me.   

And because I work from home a bartending gig seems pretty ideal.  I can start mid-afternoon if I needed to or work late and just roll out of bed to start work the next morning.     And reality is I don't need this money so if it isn't enjoyable I can just quit.   Might as well give it a try.

Might as well give it a try.
Oh for sure.  Not trying to be negative Nancy just trying to offer some perspective from someone who’s been in that business his whole life.  

I also may be a bit sensitive to it too because I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard someone say they’re just going to “get a bartending gig to pick up some extra money”.  99% of the time it doesn’t work out like they imagined.  I’m pulling for ya that it does though. In the right spot with the right people it can be a fun gig for a while for sure. 

uh, what?

I am good at photography, but this sounds like there could be some gross kinks involved.

The better the pics of your feet wearing the socks, the more they sell for. Also if they're old, maybe have some holes in them, those are premium. Nothing else really involved. Just put them in a ziploc, maybe write a personal thank you note, and ship 'em. No gross kinks need to be involved, generally the more on the up-and-up the transaction, the better price you'll get. 

I'm not in NEED of this money, but I have time on my hands and would be nice to have a little extra fun money.

I work from home full time so just kinda thinking about something that's relatively easy, and gets me out to meet more people.  Single guy in dating mode.

My first instinct is a bartender a couple nights a week.   Would just need to get my bartender's license which is simple.

Any other random ideas to consider?
Car detailing at people's homes.  Rags, soap, they have a water source, vacuum, hard work.  150 to 300 per car.

Interior home painting is paying around $60 an hour.  One long day per month meets your criteria.  I was knocking out $1200 a weekend last winter while getting my business off the ground.

Host trivia/poker, etc. at local bars. Independently or through a company.

Style consultant.

Gigolo.

Busker.
A friend of mine started this as a side gig a couple years ago doing trivia. He is a morning DJ and was in sales for the radio before so he is very good with the public.  He does 4 regular gigs a week in the summer and 5 in the winter, plus does company parties or other private events.  He gets $350 per gig for about 2-3 hours worth the work.  He said he made almost 70K last year mostly cash.

Interior home painting is paying around $60 an hour.  One long day per month meets your criteria.  I was knocking out $1200 a weekend last winter while getting my business off the ground.
I’d rather cut off my left arm then paint rooms when I don’t have to. 

OP is looking for gigs where he meets people and interacts with folks

Seems like you could leverage the Tik Tok and celebrity dog thing into something more.  I don't have ideas off hand but there's definitely something there.  Women love pets and clout.  

Yea, go in and answer about 25 questions on a computer each time (are you feeling well?, Have had any medical procedures since last donation?, Been around anyone with certain diseases since last donation? etc ). Nurse checks weight, BP, hematocrit levels, and temp. Get called back to drawing room. Donate while playing on phone or watch TV they have on the wall.
Do you get paid per visit?

Did the plasma donation thing years ago, and I was able to schedule my appts online way ahead of time, like a week+ out. That way I never had to wait in line. Might be worth checking out.

It was an easy way for an extra $200-$300 back then (around 2008 or so), sounds like it's a little more lucrative now.

I'd just play on my phone and/or listen to headphones the whole time. Easy money. 

I'm not in NEED of this money, but I have time on my hands and would be nice to have a little extra fun money.

I work from home full time so just kinda thinking about something that's relatively easy, and gets me out to meet more people.  Single guy in dating mode.

My first instinct is a bartender a couple nights a week.   Would just need to get my bartender's license which is simple.

Any other random ideas to consider?

500-700 a month is a lazy month just doing credit card and bank bonuses 

Has anybody suggested cutting back on facials?
Yep. Or supplements.

But if he really doesn’t need the money, I don’t understand why he wouldn’t meet people the old fashioned way, by partaking in social activities, or online dating.

Personally I’d find a meet-up group for outdoor recreation, like hiking. Or maybe join a co-ed sports league, eg. softball or tennis.

He doesn't work at a bar.  He works for a service that has bartenders work at weddings, etc.  I think you can find those jobs easier than landing at some bar.

But I imagine working at a bar would probably net you more "female interaction".  

I'd find a "mid-level dive".  Not too fancy, not too scummy.  I'd bet those get you the most bang for your buck.  Or buck for your bang, as it were.
the event bartender is the way to start.  no bar, no matter how scummy, is hiring some fool with no experience.

this.  except it's nearly every place

Yeah but those are few and far between in Milwaukee.  Plus, I don’t have a handlebar mustache and a pocket watch on a chain.  
:lmao:  

100% this.  the places that MIGHT hire you with zero experience, will be filled with toothless wonders.  that don't even register on your clock-a-mamie scale.  glllllllpeeeeaaaasssse

Users who are viewing this thread