What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ed Reed to the Jets (1 Viewer)

Deepster

Footballguy
Jets fan here. I haven't seen anything of Reed all year and I'm just wondering if he's cooked or has anything left in the tank? Was Houston a money jump where he just wasn't a good fit? Or is he on E and nothing more than a name/rep with some locker room presence for half a season?

Remember when Darren Sharper, on his last legs, went to NO and helped them to a SB with his great play?

It's not like that at all.

He's cooked. Ravens fan here ( second to the Giants and don't hate the jets at all)... Slow, loss of athleticism. Don't see him helping

He can't do any worse than he did here...I never even noticed him unless he attempted a pathetic tackle after someone got 20 yards down the field. Maybe he'll do something for Rex Ryan but if you are benched in favor of Shiloh Keo that's pretty bad

He's cooked. Ravens fan here ( second to the Giants and don't hate the jets at all)... Slow, loss of athleticism. Don't see him helping
Now this I just can't believe.

Everyone hates the jets. At least a little bit somewhere inside

Another Ravens fan -- he was cooked last year. In the old days, his great physical ability would let him gamble on the huge play, but still cover his responsibility. The last couple of years, he would gamble and just get torched. His freelancing was very detrimental to a secondary with young CBs and Pollard, an inside the box safety who couldn't cover. I'm convinced that part of the Ravens' playoff run was fueled by Reed finally playing with discipline and not freelancing.

He can't tackle at all, and will run from contact - literally run away from downfield blockers. He also says crazy stuff all the time.

But teammates LOVE him and he watches film longer and better than anyone. He is a savant for knowing what a QB is going to do and positioning a defensive backfield. But he doesn't always care. My guess is that he was just cashing a check in Houston and is now going to be inspired to play with Rex.

I can't see him getting much playing time. I'd say he'll be in on dime packages and call the signals in the secondary when he's in there. HIs biggest impact will be off the field.

And yet he is one of the ultimate playmakers ever. If the Jets are in a big game in January, when the winds are swirling in the Meadowlands, I can guarantee the ball is going to find its way into Reed's hands.

He might be cooked physically, but the Jets have really young less than stellar safeties, so I wouldn't be surprised if he plays more than most would expect. He really knows the defense and his experience may be an improvement over what we have at this point down the stretch. Plus maybe he can help out the other safeties with game film and during games.

Unless he is going to gain 25 lbs of muscle and move to outside linebacker he is done. A corner can lose some speed and gain some weight and move to safety, a safety does it and he is done.

Kind of reminds me of when a washed up Ronnie Lott signed with the Jets. With that said, there's really no risk to bringing him in since the team doesn't have to pay him anything, and at the very least he should be a good mentor to the younger DBs on the team.

He didn't make any impact on the field for Houston and was demoted to playing 3rd string (really 4th because Manning is injured) before the coaching comment fallout happened. IMO he's cooked and trying to get as many game checks as possible before he finally hangs them up.

Easy call. Jets withering pass rush allows ed to do the only thing he can still do...ballhawk desperation throws. I expect hell actually be a nice add for them.

How'd Ed look?

I only saw a few snippets of the game - on the long TD pass down the right sideline to Goodwin, I saw Reed begin to jump up on some crossing routes and was almost half the field away as the CB got beat.

If his responsibility as the single high Safety was to be deeper than the deepest receiver, than he totally abdicated his coverage in the hope of making a splashy big play. He does that a lot.

That being said, there was no way he was going to be able to get to Goodwin in time anyway - if he ever had that kind of closing speed, it's long gone now.

Any thoughts on Reed, two games in?

His first half yesterday was about the best I've seen him play in two years. He hasn't made a hit like the one he made on Jones in the end zone in a long time - since before his neck went bad. And he stood up and made a solid tackle on Dickson on that play along the left sideline where Flacco scrambled and then threw to Dickson after the guy covering him stepped up to pressure Flacco.

But the second half was the Reed of more recent vintage. He got completely trucked by Dickson along the right sideline -- hit him and bounced backward as Dickson rambled for another 10 yards. And then Jones ran past him like he was standing still on the long bomb. He was cheating up on the underneath stuff and simply lacked the speed to make up for his gamble once he let the deepest WR get past him.

I felt bad for him when they showed him sitting on the bench after the bomb. It looked like reality was setting in, big-time.

Kind of reminds me of when a washed up Ronnie Lott signed with the Jets. With that said, there's really no risk to bringing him in since the team doesn't have to pay him anything, and at the very least he should be a good mentor to the younger DBs on the team.
Lott was at the end of the line, but still was competent. He made the key defensive play in the Halloween game vs the Giants. I think he had a key interception vs the Raiders. Reed, on the other hand, is washed up. Yesterday, Reed played for the Ravens.

He played for the Ravens earlier this season when he put on a Texans uniform for the first time too.... What good is a gambling free safety who gives big plays but can't make any anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the mentoring part but apparently yes there is some risk to having him in there.

He looks done, Rex is bringing in the attitude and character over remaining ability here.

Ed's an Orleanian, rooting for him, but it appears he is done.

Ed got torched for another long TD pass Sunday. According to Pro Football Focus, when opposing QBs target Reed they have a 158.3 rating -- which is a perfect rating.

Teams he's suited up and taken the field for this season are now 0-10 (0-7 in games he played while in Houston, 0-3 starting for the Jets). He really can't play anymore. I wish he would have retired after picking off a pass in a Super Bowl played in his hometown. On the other hand, he's walking away with another $6M or so this year, so who am I to say he did the wrong thing?

But Rex is pretty clearly doing the wrong thing by trotting him out there any more.

Users who are viewing this thread