What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Edge 50/50 to Return to Indianapolis (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Colts hoping to win gamble on James

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer

February 25, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Colts president Bill Polian is gambling with Edgerrin James.

Yes, he wants the two-time rushing champ carrying the ball for Indianapolis next season, but as James prepares for free agency, Polian is hoping salary-cap restrictions will help keep James from leaving.

Still, Polian believes there is a "50-50" chance of James coming back to Indy. Polian hopes to increase his odds this week when he calls Drew Rosenhaus, James' agent.

"I'm going to talk to Drew this week and see where Edge is right now, so I'd say it's probably 50-50," Polian said. "But that's an uneducated guess because I haven't spoken with Drew."

The top backs expected to become free agents aside from James are MVP Shaun Alexander and Jamal Lewis, who helped lead Baltimore to a Super Bowl title.

Polian could have kept James by using the franchise tag on him for the second straight year after receiver Reggie Wayne agreed to a new six-year, $39 million contract. The Colts also signed defensive lineman Raheem Brock to a five-year deal Friday.

Instead, Polian, decided against using the tag, which would have increased James' salary next season to more than $10 million.

That means James, a four-time Pro Bowl choice, would be one of the most attractive free agents available when the market opens Friday.

"Reggie was priority No. 1, and Raheem was priority No. 2," Polian said. "Now we can turn our attention to Edgerrin and David Thornton and see what we can do."

Thornton, a starting linebacker, is one of 11 unrestricted free agents on the Colts' roster.

James has said he believes his tenure in Indianapolis is over. At the Super Bowl, he said he hoped to play for a team that wanted him.

James holds Colts' franchise records for attempts (2,188), yards (9,226) and touchdowns (64). Indianapolis has reached the playoffs six times in James' seven seasons, missing the postseason in 2001 when James sat out the final 10 games after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

While they want him back, it appears the Colts are preparing for life without James.

Polian and coach Tony Dungy both acknowledged they would be looking closely at the top running backs in this year's draft for a possible replacement. Dungy also suggested signing a free agent was an option.

"There's a lot of guys that can run and do well," Dungy said. "But with so many checks at the line of scrimmage and not knowing what play you're going to run and still respond, that's what you don't know."

James has been a key blocker and receiver for two-time MVP Peyton Manning.

But James might not be the only Pro Bowl player leaving Indy.

Polian said it was likely Mike Vanderjagt, the NFL's most accurate kicker, would sign with another team. Vanderjagt missed a 46-yard field goal in January's playoff game against Pittsburgh that cost the Colts a chance to force overtime.

"He'll probably elect to go somewhere else, so that's probably a position we'll have to fill," Polian said.

He said Vanderjagt's replacement may already be on the roster. Indy recently re-signed kicker Dave Rayner, a sixth-round draft pick last year who was cut late in the season because of his poor kickoffs.

The other big names on the Colts' free agent list are Thornton and defensive tackle Larry Tripplett, a second-round pick in 2002 who had his best season as pro in 2005.

But most of the talk has been about James. Polian and Dungy hope their gamble pays off.

Updated on Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 7:46 pm EST
The plot thickens . . .LINK

life without edge will equakl life without a superbowl imo...not easy to replace that kind of back in single back sets...they will learn this the hard way i think.

If Edge goes to Jacksonville, they win the division.

It seems everyone and his grandmother have concluded that Edge will not be back with Indy this season.

Now with Manning and Harrison reworking their deals and what appears to be an agreement in principle on a new CBA (which may result in a higher cap number for this season), does that improve the likelihood that Edge remains a Colt for one more year? It would seem to me that it does, at least somewhat?

Will Alexander's deal impact what happens to Edge. He would be THE free agent RB on the market if he were to leave and would command a pretty rich deal too. Will that tempt him to dip his toes into the FA waters notwithstanding the cap relief Indy seems to have encountered in the last 24 hours?

Also, the Drew Rosenhaus factor has to be calculated into the equation.

I hope he stays with Indy, but would like to hear some thoughts on why he'll now stay or still go.

Is the two million extra per year he can get elsewhere worth it? I'm sure he understands he can make a run at Smith, Payton, and Sanders if he stays in Indy.

When I saw that Manning and Harrison re-worked their contracts, I immediately thought it was a move to help keep Edge in town. They have a great thing going, and I belive both of those boys know it. after a bitter defeat last season(in their eyes) They want to do what it takes to make another run...

I do believe Edge stays in Indy.

Is the two million extra per year he can get elsewhere worth it? I'm sure he understands he can make a run at Smith, Payton, and Sanders if he stays in Indy.
I always hear the rumbling that Edge's stats will take a hit if he goes elsewhere. This is probably true. However, it needs to be noted that he runs the ball behind one of the least talented OL's in the NFL. Guys like Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja would have difficult times starting on many (...if any) NFL teams. Ryan Diem seemed to regress after signing his big deal last offseason. Jeff Saturday is more than solid and Tarik Glenn would be good if he didn't jump offsides so much.All and all...sometimes RB's are better when they're more relied upon.

** LT had his best stats during the '02 and '03 seasons when Brees (28 TD's and 31 INT's over the same period) was learning the game.

** Jam Lewis broke 2k yards during Boller's rookie campaign (7 TD's, 9 INT's and 114 yards/game).

** Cadillac didn't do too shabby with Chris Simms at the helm last year and the same holds true for Droughns and Dilfer/Frye.

** DD has probably played better than his talent despite have Carr at his QB his entire career.

Is the two million extra per year he can get elsewhere worth it?  I'm sure he understands he can make a run at Smith, Payton, and Sanders if he stays in Indy.
I always hear the rumbling that Edge's stats will take a hit if he goes elsewhere. This is probably true. However, it needs to be noted that he runs the ball behind one of the least talented OL's in the NFL. Guys like Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja would have difficult times starting on many (...if any) NFL teams. Ryan Diem seemed to regress after signing his big deal last offseason. Jeff Saturday is more than solid and Tarik Glenn would be good if he didn't jump offsides so much.All and all...sometimes RB's are better when they're more relied upon.

** LT had his best stats during the '02 and '03 seasons when Brees (28 TD's and 31 INT's over the same period) was learning the game.

** Jam Lewis broke 2k yards during Boller's rookie campaign (7 TD's, 9 INT's and 114 yards/game).

** Cadillac didn't do too shabby with Chris Simms at the helm last year and the same holds true for Droughns and Dilfer/Frye.

** DD has probably played better than his talent despite have Carr at his QB his entire career.

The way the colts organization has treated Edge has not been the way you would expect a team to treat a star running back. I read two articles on this from Peter King and Mort about this situation and like them I believe that Edge is gone.

With or without James my team is in trouble no playoffs next year.Mr Bill needs to get his head out of his ???.Time for a overhaul more they wait the worse it will be.

With or without James my team is in trouble no playoffs next year.Mr Bill needs to get his head out of his ???.Time for a overhaul more they wait the worse it will be.
I understand the anger as a fellow Colts fan - but just like sometimes it isn't as good as it seems, it also probably isn't as bad as it seems.

I agree with djcolts. The Colts have been frustrating but a team they'll be back in the playoffs next year, imho, where we all know anything can happen. I still believe that had the Colts somehow completed the comeback against Pittsburgh, they would have rolled to Detroit. You can't dismantle a team that is very close as it could be years before you get back to the playoff dance again. Something about cutting of one's nose...

So that means try to keep Edge around, imho.

"Shirley" you jest.

Is the two million extra per year he can get elsewhere worth it?  I'm sure he understands he can make a run at Smith, Payton, and Sanders if he stays in Indy.

Makes sense, but Edge is no spring chicken. I believe he needs the relief the best QB and two of the best WR's in the game provides for him.

I hope he's gone, because I'm spiteful. I hate the Colts, and more so Peyton Manning.
That's the best logic ever. So when the Colts don't have an RB, and Manning throws 50TDs, then you will hate him more! He'll be just like his hero, Dan Marino!

Last edited:
I understand the anger as a fellow Colts fan - but just like sometimes it isn't as good as it seems, it also probably isn't as bad as it seems.
Well till this year I felt that way to.The BillyBob show or the BobBilly show has ran its course in Indy its clear to me they have cashed in there chips its a business you know.They will still be pretty decent team, but thats about it.Mr Bill must go!!

I hope he's gone, because I'm spiteful. I hate the Colts, and more so Peyton Manning.
Make them go away mommy! I don't like them! I'll hold my breath until I die if you don't make them go away!

New labor agreement means the Colts probably will sign Edge.
Weren't they over the cap before the labor agreement? New cap is set at 104 million, an extra 10 million.
If they want Edge, they can now figure out a way to keep him. If they have other plans, then it doesn't matter, does it?

Weren't they over the cap before the labor agreement? New cap is set at 104 million, an extra 10 million.
If they want Edge, they can now figure out a way to keep him. If they have other plans, then it doesn't matter, does it?
Maybe. I think it depends on Edge. With this new cash out there, I'm pretty sure he can get a better deal elsewhere. Does he give the hometown team a discount, cause another team will more than likely offer more cash.

What it means is,they will cut Edge and keep everyone else. :popcorn:
I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. They can find someone who looks just like him, imo. I like Maroney as a matter of fact.

I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. They can find someone who looks just like him, imo. I like Maroney as a matter of fact.
I agree,there biggest weakest is running the ball inside the 5 yard line.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Edge get 1500 YDS and his longest run from scrimmage was 33 yds and only gained 20+ yds 5 times? That tells me he is getting 5+ yds most of the time. He also scored 13 times. I don't think I would worry about James at the goal line, regardless of past performance in certain situations.

Maybe. I think it depends on Edge. With this new cash out there, I'm pretty sure he can get a better deal elsewhere. Does he give the hometown team a discount, cause another team will more than likely offer more cash.
More than likely. For him it's all about him, not the team...but that could mean more money....or less money (but still plenty) and a better shot at a ring (at least in his mind).I wouldn't hold his breath about a king's ransom though.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Edge get 1500 YDS and his longest run from scrimmage was 33 yds and only gained 20+ yds 5 times? That tells me he is getting 5+ yds most of the time. He also scored 13 times. I don't think I would worry about James at the goal line, regardless of past performance in certain situations.
Your right.

Well, Lilja was just cut yesterday. I think yesterday's cut is a perfect example of the Colts OL being over-rated. Lilja started all 16 games last year, but was cut despite having no injury or contract situation.

Dylan Gandy should be a nice upgrade in place of Lilja. :thumbup:

Well, Lilja was just cut yesterday. I think yesterday's cut is a perfect example of the Colts OL being over-rated. Lilja started all 16 games last year, but was cut despite having no injury or contract situation.

Yes, the OL is overrated. However, what I reallly want is a real solid plan on how to beat the tough 3-4 defenses. They've had 3 years to figure this out and haven't yet.

Yes, the OL is overrated. However, what I reallly want is a real solid plan on how to beat the tough 3-4 defenses. They've had 3 years to figure this out and haven't yet.
They can beat the 3-4 teams (6-0 against 3-4 teams in the '05 regular season)......just not when it counts (0-2 against 3-4 teams the past two post-seasons). :cry:

They can beat the 3-4 teams (6-0 against 3-4 teams in the '05 regular season)......just not when it counts (0-2 against 3-4 teams the past two post-seasons). :cry:
That can't be right - they lost to the Chargers who are a 3-4 D. And it is 0-3 against 3-4 Ds in the last 3 postseasons (3-0 against 4-3 Ds in the last 3 posteasons)

Users who are viewing this thread