What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric scooters (1 Viewer)

Apple Jack

Footballguy
Already so completely sick of these things, I anxiously await their inevitable banning on all roads and mixed-use trails. Seems like half the people riding them have the balance and coordination of somebody with vertigo, going way too fast and creating near accident after near accident at any and every bottleneck. Then they leave them all over the place when they die or the rider reaches their destination, usually in the middle of the trail. F these things and everything they represent.

Up next: Electric bikes

The guys going 30MPH in the bike lanes pisses me off.  It’s for bikes, not douchebags on faux mopeds trying to beat traffic.

Some lady here in the Tampa suburbs rides a freakin scooter on the sidewalk to and from wherever.  

Some lady here in the Tampa suburbs rides a freakin scooter on the sidewalk to and from wherever.  
Florida baby! But I have a feeling you're referring to a scooter than you sit on and ride. I'm talking about the stand up ones, like the razors that 4 year olds ride.

Florida baby! But I have a feeling you're referring to a scooter than you sit on and ride. I'm talking about the stand up ones, like the razors that 4 year olds ride.
I know.  This is a licensed and street legal  scooter this dumb woman thinks is okay to ride on sidewalks.  City of Tampa just approved some scooter deal so that should be fun going downtown.  

Everybody, huh?

Try harder
You're right -- there are actually serious debates about their legality on sidewalks, on campuses, etc.

They're kind of dangerous to pedestrians if not used properly, which is often. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There are actually serious debates about their legality on sidewalks, on campuses, etc.

They're kind of dangerous to pedestrians if not used properly, which is often. 
Honestly, I don't care about them on roads. There's definitely a Darwin thing at play there, but that's their business. It's on the trails, where I ride daily and have for years (and it's illegal), that they have no place. Many, if not most of these people are far too dumb, uncoordinated and reckless to be on these things in tight quarters with walkers, runners and cyclists. I'm not concerned about the threat they pose to themselves, just others.

Already so completely sick of these things, I anxiously await their inevitable banning on all roads and mixed-use trails. Seems like half the people riding them have the balance and coordination of somebody with vertigo, going way too fast and creating near accident after near accident at any and every bottleneck. Then they leave them all over the place when they die or the rider reaches their destination, usually in the middle of the trail. F these things and everything they represent.

Up next: Electric bikes
It’s a cheaper new version of Uber.  Especially for the young drunk college crowd.  Get use to it...

I visited San Diego recently and they are thrown around town like Razors in my garage.  It didn't bother me.  I'd rather step over scooters than homeless people.  These things aren't going anywhere.  It's evident when you see how aggressive "big scooter" is when trying to come into a new location.  And there are many scooter companies with big financial backings. 

I'm not concerned about the threat they pose to themselves, just others.
Yeah, I was agreeing with you. If you're trying to walk on a sidewalk or trail, having an unbalanced chap whizzing by you on a scooter is not cool and potentially dangerous. 

I can't believe people are bothered by this but overwhelmingly backed the government's fraud of sharing roads with bikes. 

I can't believe people are bothered by this but overwhelmingly backed the government's fraud of sharing roads with bikes. 
Interesting take. You mean bike lines and universal signals? I have to respectfully disagree as I think bikes have always sort of shared the road with cars, hence the constant warnings in defensive driving courses and in DMV licensing manuals about bikes with respect to cars. 

It’s a cheaper new version of Uber.  Especially for the young drunk college crowd.  Get use to it...
This is basically where I am at.  50 year old me hated them when I first saw them all over downtown Detroit; annoyed by the fact that they were strewn about and the drunk morons riding them.  Then, I saw the videos of the fun my 21-year & 23-year old old kids were having on them.  If this is a byproduct of a once depressed city on the up, I can deal with it I suppose.  Now, if there are a few laying around, my wife and I will typically tip them up and line them up and were not alone.  It looks nice to have a half dozen or so lined up and ready to use (sort of modeling something positive versus #####ing about it).  

Are these public scooters?  How can I get my hands on one?

Is this for city folk?
You can buy them, but they are ubiquitous in the DC area right now as rentals. ####### everywhere. They look like trash.

Like I said, I have no problem with them being on roads. Couldn't care less. But they have no place on mixed-use trails and sidewalks.

so people rent these and then just leave them lying around discarded on the street? 

Wouldnt there be a fine or fee is the scooter wasn't returned? 

NYC has bike rental stations and they work fine, granted there is a bike lane on the road that riders are supposed to stay in but I believe they are allowed to be ridden in park walkways too? 

Was out of town this weekend, and these things were everywhere. Was driving through downtown, about to make a right turn, but had to wait for a husband & wife to cross the street while riding on the same scooter. The husband was obviously controlling the scooter, and decided to turn early so as to have the scooter attempt to go off the curb. And due to the long wheel base, the bottom of the scooter caught the curb and the husband and wife endo'd into the crosswalk. And then they stumbled around trying not to look like bigger jackwagons. The wife was super pissed. And the husband might have been drunk. Was pretty funny.

How are these worse than a bicycle then?
They are much faster and the people riding them tend to be pretty reckless and don't have nearly the control that cyclists have. See the above story about husband and wife bail.

ETA: They are motorized, if you didn't catch that part.

There was a sweet, sweet, sweet hot chick in jean shorts. Tall. Super tall. And cute. And you could see her two little butt cheeks. She was riding one on the sidewalk. I don't usually like them in crosswalks, because at a four-way stop I have to try and gauge "who's in" and "who's out" before entering a busy intersection. And since they zip around so fast it makes it difficult. But she's okay. She was okay. I made sure she knew that she had the right of way 100% to cross in front of me. For sure.

Interesting take. You mean bike lines and universal signals? I have to respectfully disagree as I think bikes have always sort of shared the road with cars, hence the constant warnings in defensive driving courses and in DMV licensing manuals about bikes with respect to cars. 
No. I live in suburbia. Like mosquito, they come out when the weather breaks. Every two lane road with no bike lane and no shoulder. It's ridiculous and they follow no rules.

This is the part I don't get. No extra charge for not docking them?
yea, I NYC, the meter is running until the bike is back in a dock. So you dock it, do your business then rent another one. I don't get how they are littering the streets with these. 

yea, I NYC, the meter is running until the bike is back in a dock. So you dock it, do your business then rent another one. I don't get how they are littering the streets with these. 
I think that you can tell the scooter when you are done, and it will stop billing you for the time and complete the transaction. You are then free to leave the scooter wherever for the next person. There are no docking stations. It is a simple rechargeable battery. And it is also my understanding that the scooter will tell you if/when the battery does not have a sufficient charge to be used.

I saw a worker out collecting scooters early yesterday morning and organizing them in convenient locations. I would imagine that this person is also collecting those that do not have a sufficient battery charge. Would imagine that they are brought to a charging location and then relocated out for use. I'm sure that they all have GPS tracking devices inside the scooter frames.

I think that you can tell the scooter when you are done, and it will stop billing you for the time and complete the transaction. You are then free to leave the scooter wherever for the next person. There are no docking stations. It is a simple rechargeable battery. And it is also my understanding that the scooter will tell you if/when the battery does not have a sufficient charge to be used.

I saw a worker out collecting scooters early yesterday morning and organizing them in convenient locations. I would imagine that this person is also collecting those that do not have a sufficient battery charge. Would imagine that they are brought to a charging location and then relocated out for use. I'm sure that they all have GPS tracking devices inside the scooter frames.
that makes a ton of stupidity sense then. I can see how that would be annoying, esp given that people generally don't give a F and will drop #### anywhere. Again, hate going back to NYC as an example, but this is their bike rental set up. Overall its pretty organized. 

I would imagine that this person is also collecting those that do not have a sufficient battery charge. Would imagine that they are brought to a charging location and then relocated out for use. 
:no:   Industry insider secret:  They are nuclear.

Was in an Uber a couple of weeks ago and apparently the guy and his girlfriend go pick up discarded scooters for the company, charge them up, and put them back out in the city at designated places.  They get paid a certain amount to do it as long as the scooters are out by like 7 am or something.

Scooters and other small electric vehicles like e-bikes are here to stay. They provide affordable, local transportation. Fewer cars on the road mean less traffic not to mention they are environmentally friendly. The country is moving more local, more electric and more urban and I suspect we are just seeing the beginning of a transportation revolution.

The guys going 30MPH in the bike lanes pisses me off.  It’s for bikes, not douchebags on faux mopeds trying to beat traffic.
They don't go 30 mph. Assuming you are talking about the Lime/Bird/etc. type of scooters that are awesome and all over cities. They top out at 15 mph I believe

It is an issue in SA. People are tired of seeing then laying everywhere, tipped over or dropped wherever. They've caused numerous accidents, both with pedestrians and vehicles. They are about to become quite restricted if not outright banned in certain areas of the city.

Users who are viewing this thread