What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli/Philip/Ben (1 Viewer)

I don't think Big Ben would doing much better than Eli is he went to the Giants.The Steelers offense and team is a perfect fit for a young QB.

1 - always hard to tell how a player would do if a different situation with different coaching and expectations.2 - of course they'd be all criticizing the Giants for reaching, oh wait actually they wouldn't they'd say it was a brilliant move. Only a select few teams (e.g. the Bengals) get criticized for picking a guy about 5 or 8 spaces higher than the alleged experts deem worthy.3 - Fun to think about though, ain't it? ;) -QG

Eli will never have Ben's mobility or ability to throw on the run. I'm not sure Eli has any skills that Ben doesn't possess.

The Giants made the right pick. The Manning name goes over big in the apple and the Steelers get the steal of the draft.Very fitting IMO.

The Giants made the right pick. The Manning name goes over big in the apple and the Steelers get the steal of the draft.

Very fitting IMO.
:goodposting: I realize this is overrated if you want to win, but name recognition in the big apple is $$$.

Which is why I can see the Jets trading up into the top 3 picks this year - any of the 3.

Don't get me wrong, Ben was a great pick @ #11, but SOD?

Kansas City would beg to differ - #126 Jared Allen

The Giants made the right pick. The Manning name goes over big in the apple and the Steelers get the steal of the draft.

Very fitting IMO.
:goodposting: I realize this is overrated if you want to win, but name recognition in the big apple is $$$.

Which is why I can see the Jets trading up into the top 3 picks this year - any of the 3.

I dunno about steal of the draft, but he was definitely a steal at 1.11.First two years, two championship game appearances. And maybe more. He'll never have Manning/Marino/Fouts stats as long as he plays in Pittsburgh. But a Troy Aikman, Hall of Fame-type of career is well within his grasp. Manage the game, don't turn the ball over, make a few big plays in big spots, and win a lot of games.

Eli will never have Ben's mobility or ability to throw on the run. I'm not sure Eli has any skills that Ben doesn't possess.
Eli was thrown into a much harder situation than Ben.Ben has a great O-line ahead of him and he gets the privilege of playing for a Run first team. Although he does it great, Big Ben just has to go out there and control the ball and not make mistakes.

This year, Eli Manning had the 3rd most passing attempts in the NFL and had 34.8 per game. Compare that to Big Ben and his 22.3 attempts per game. For pete sake, Kyle Orton had more passing attempts per game than Big Ben. These scenarios are night and day, and can not be compared at all.

If the roles were reversed, you would be singing the praises of Eli Manning.

Ben came into the best possible scenario for a rookie QB, while Eli Manning, not so much. Alex Smith...even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eli was thrown into a much harder situation than Ben.Ben has a great O-line ahead of him and he gets the privilege of playing for a Run first team. Although he does it great, Big Ben just has to go out there and control the ball and not make mistakes.

This year, Eli Manning had the 3rd most passing attempts in the NFL and had 34.8 per game. Compare that to Big Ben and his 22.3 attempts per game. For pete sake, Kyle Orton had more passing attempts per game than Big Ben. These scenarios are night and day, and can not be compared at all.

That's a fair point.

Eli will never have Ben's mobility or ability to throw on the run.  I'm not sure Eli has any skills that Ben doesn't possess.

Ben came into the best possible scenario for a rookie QB, while Eli Manning, not so much. Alex Smith...even worse.
That's all well and good but my point was that Eli doesn't have the athleticism that Ben does and I'm not sure that Eli has any particular skill that Ben does not possess (accuracy, arm strength, leadership, etc.).

That's a fair point.
That's pure conjecture.
Right, but it's also a fair counter-argument. Gun to my head, I do believe that Eli would be doing just as well as Ben in Pitt's O.
No chance Eli makes that tackle last week, the Steelers would be golfing on Sunday if Eli was their QB.
Or maybe Eli passes Pitt down the field for the win with his superior "Manning"ness ability. Manning vs. Manning would have been quite a show...

The Giants made the right pick.  The Manning name goes over big in the apple and the Steelers get the steal of the draft.

Very fitting IMO.

I dunno about steal of the draft, but he was definitely a steal at 1.11.First two years, two championship game appearances. And maybe more. He'll never have Manning/Marino/Fouts stats as long as he plays in Pittsburgh. But a Troy Aikman, Hall of Fame-type of career is well within his grasp. Manage the game, don't turn the ball over, make a few big plays in big spots, and win a lot of games.
Admittedly, I am exaggerating regarding "steal of the draft", but you get my point. Even if Eli flops, the Giants can't be faulted for going after Archie's boy. Now say NY passed on Eli and took Ben...there could have been a lynching if Ben stunk & Eli exploded with another team.Honestly, Eli was the right choice for NY at the time despite Ben's success.

That's a fair point.
That's pure conjecture.
Here's something that's NOT pure conjecture: Pittsburgh ran more times last season than any team. Not any team in the NFL last season... ANY TEAM EVER. They logged a 60/40 Run/pass split. This season, they have a 57/43 run/pass split. Denver is second, but even Denver is nowhere NEAR that extreme (Denver has a 52/48 run/pass split).I think it's fair to say that Big Ben wouldn't have enjoyed anywhere NEAR this level of success had he gone to ANY team other than the Pittsburgh Steelers (with the possible exceptions of the Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks, and Kansas City Chiefs).

Now, that said, I think that Big Ben is currently a better QB than Manning. Doesn't mean that'll always be the case, since all QBs develop at a different rate, but I suspect that Big Ben will remain the better QB for the entire rest of his career. Remember, Ben was a guy who, coming out of college, some GMs were saying was the single best QB prospect since John Elway. The knock against Ben was that he would probably take the longest time to develop and to make the jump from the MAC to the NFL (while Manning would be a lot more NFL-ready, coming from the SEC)... but the general consensus was that, of all of the first round QBs (Ben, Eli, Rivers, Losman), Ben had far and away the highest upside.

I think it's funny that Eli Manning engineered that whole trade to try and put himself in the best position possible, and he wound up on the worst team of the three (although at least he's not stuck behind Brees in San Diego).

That's a fair point.
That's pure conjecture.
Right, but it's also a fair counter-argument. Gun to my head, I do believe that Eli would be doing just as well as Ben in Pitt's O.
No chance Eli makes that tackle last week, the Steelers would be golfing on Sunday if Eli was their QB.
So Ben is a better tackler than Eli....SOD for sure!!! :rolleyes:

That's a fair point.
That's pure conjecture.
So Ben is a better tackler than Eli....SOD for sure!!! :rolleyes:
Let me slow it down for you...Athleticism is shown in many ways: scrambling for a first down, avoiding the pass rush, throwing on the run and yes even making a game-saving tackle. All back to my original point, Ben is a better athlete than Eli. If you can tell me why Eli Manning is or will be a better QB than Roethlisberger I'd love to read it.

Frenchy, nobody can tell you that. Ben is a stud and will be a premier QB for alot of years. Beating Denver is a step for him to take in achieving his place among the greats.... I am confident Jake Plummer will not play in a Super Bowl in my lifetime. (I''m 35, btw)

Let me slow it down for you...Athleticism is shown in many ways: scrambling for a first down, avoiding the pass rush, throwing on the run and yes even making a game-saving tackle. All back to my original point, Ben is a better athlete than Eli. If you can tell me why Eli Manning is or will be a better QB than Roethlisberger I'd love to read it.
Michael Vick is the best athlete playing QB in the NFL today, by a huge margin. Does that mean he's the best QB in the NFL, by a huge margin?

Very fitting IMO.

Jared Allen has not led the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game the last two years has he?

Jared Allen has not led the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game the last two years has he?
This is totally off the subject of the thread, so I'm just going to laugh at the idea that a DE selected #126 overall has to lead his team to the championship to be the best value (steal) in that class.

Let me slow it down for you...Athleticism is shown in many ways:  scrambling for a first down, avoiding the pass rush, throwing on the run and yes even making a game-saving tackle.  All back to my original point, Ben is a better athlete than Eli.  If you can tell me why Eli Manning is or will be a better QB than Roethlisberger I'd love to read it.
Michael Vick is the best athlete playing QB in the NFL today, by a huge margin. Does that mean he's the best QB in the NFL, by a huge margin?
No, no, no...please refer to my other posts. I thought I was pretty clear, maybe not. My point was that Ben & Eli may be comparable in areas like accuracy, arm strength, leadership, etc. (though statistically Roeth appears to be ahead in all of these categories) but that athleticism is what separates Ben from Eli. Ben will always be able to make plays that Eli just can't do to his athleticism. I'm not sure that there is any part of Eli's game that Ben doesn't have.

The Giants made the right pick.  The Manning name goes over big in the apple and the Steelers get the steal of the draft.

Very fitting IMO.

When Ben helps the Steelers win the big show, that is good enough for me. We don't get there without him. You can keep the SOD label for Jarred. I want a ring.

When Ben helps the Steelers win the big show, that is good enough for me. We don't get there without him.

You can keep the SOD label for Jarred. I want a ring.
I agree 124% I'll always take a championship over SOD, MVP, or any other individual accolades.

No, no, no...please refer to my other posts. I thought I was pretty clear, maybe not. My point was that Ben & Eli may be comparable in areas like accuracy, arm strength, leadership, etc. (though statistically Roeth appears to be ahead in all of these categories) but that athleticism is what separates Ben from Eli. Ben will always be able to make plays that Eli just can't do to his athleticism. I'm not sure that there is any part of Eli's game that Ben doesn't have.
Okay, I get you now. That said... still, QBs mature at different speeds. Could you look at Rich Gannon after his second year and say "(insert QB here) is clearly a much better QB, there's no part of Gannon's game that this guy doesn't have, except BETTER". After all is said and done, though, Rich Gannon had more MVPs than (insert QB here).Warner's another example. Came out like gangbusters, but next season he'll probably be playing for his 4th team in 4 years.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I firmly believe that, 10 years from now when we're looking back on their careers, it'll be clear that Rooflesburger was the far better QB. It's still far from a certainty, though. I mean, if you'd asked the same question about Elway and Marino after their second season, everyone in the world would have said Marino, but general consensus now is that Elway was the better pro.

Let me slow it down for you...Athleticism is shown in many ways:  scrambling for a first down, avoiding the pass rush, throwing on the run and yes even making a game-saving tackle.  All back to my original point, Ben is a better athlete than Eli.  If you can tell me why Eli Manning is or will be a better QB than Roethlisberger I'd love to read it.
Okay, I get you now. That said... still, QBs mature at different speeds. Could you look at Rich Gannon after his second year and say "(insert QB here) is clearly a much better QB, there's no part of Gannon's game that this guy doesn't have, except BETTER". After all is said and done, though, Rich Gannon had more MVPs than (insert QB here).Warner's another example. Came out like gangbusters, but next season he'll probably be playing for his 4th team in 4 years.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I firmly believe that, 10 years from now when we're looking back on their careers, it'll be clear that Rooflesburger was the far better QB. It's still far from a certainty, though. I mean, if you'd asked the same question about Elway and Marino after their second season, everyone in the world would have said Marino, but general consensus now is that Elway was the better pro.
Certainly things can change but in answer to the original question if the Giants could do it over based on what we know now, certainly they should've stayed at 4 and selected Roethlisberger.

Eli will never have Ben's mobility or ability to throw on the run.  I'm not sure Eli has any skills that Ben doesn't possess.

Having Tiki Barber, Shockey, Toomer, and Plax as offensive weapons and getting Kareem McKenzie on the line among others isnt enough around Eli for him to succeed?? Ben wouldnt be as efficient?? Face it, Big Ben is a better Quarterback. Eli has a strong arm, but doesnt have "it."

Having Tiki Barber, Shockey, Toomer, and Plax as offensive weapons and getting Kareem McKenzie on the line among others isnt enough around Eli for him to succeed?? Ben wouldnt be as efficient?? Face it, Big Ben is a better Quarterback. Eli has a strong arm, but doesnt have "it."
Leading the Giants to an 11-5 record, their first NFC East title since 2000, making the playoffs, having the 5th most passing yards in the NFL, 6th most passing TDs in the league and having the 3rd best offense in the league is not too shabby, if I do say so myself. I'd have to say thats pretty darn good for a 2nd year QB who didn't play until the middle of last year and who will only mature.Big Ben was not better than Eli on any of those items mentioned above this year. Of course he had a higher completion rate and better passer rating, and is part of a team that made it to the AFC Championship, but they seem quite equal at this point in time. Big Ben was along for the ride last year in the playoffs.

Its way to early to be saying Ben is a better QB after 2 seasons and to the fact they play in entirely different scenarios. (Big Ben in hardcore running system, Eli in a high octane passing offense)

Certainly things can change but in answer to the original question if the Giants could do it over based on what we know now, certainly they should've stayed at 4 and selected Roethlisberger.
Are you kidding? If the Giants could do it over again knowing what they know now, they would have traded a 6th rounder for Drew Brees and would have drafted a playmaking defensive player (maybe Sean Taylor?) 4th overall.Edit: That's the thing, everyone's focusing on where Big Ben would have gone if we knew what we know now, but what about Brees? The Chargers would have given him away for some shoelaces and a stick of gum when they drafted Manning/Rivers.

I'm not sure that Eli has any particular skill that Ben does not possess (accuracy, arm strength, leadership, etc.).
Boy, I sure hope the Karma gods don't read this. Eli was able to lead his team to a 4th quarter comeback victory against the Broncos. I wonder how Big Ben might do in a similar spot. Maybe we get to find out later today.

I'm not sure that Eli has any particular skill that Ben does not possess (accuracy, arm strength, leadership, etc.).
Boy, I sure hope the Karma gods don't read this. Eli was able to lead his team to a 4th quarter comeback victory against the Broncos. I wonder how Big Ben might do in a similar spot. Maybe we get to find out later today.
After the Steelers go up by at least 11 pts on Denver...I'd say odds are 100:1 that the Steelers pull out a W. :D

Are you kidding? If the Giants could do it over again knowing what they know now, they would have traded a 6th rounder for Drew Brees and would have drafted a playmaking defensive player (maybe Sean Taylor?) 4th overall.Edit: That's the thing, everyone's focusing on where Big Ben would have gone if we knew what we know now, but what about Brees? The Chargers would have given him away for some shoelaces and a stick of gum when they drafted Manning/Rivers.
But if everyone knew then what we know now, SD doesn't draft a QB at all. They stick with Brees, take Taylor and likely are still playing now. Can you imagin having both Marriman and Taylor on the same D! :eek:

Leading the Giants to an 11-5 record, their first NFC East title since 2000, making the playoffs, having the 5th most passing yards in the NFL, 6th most passing TDs in the league and having the 3rd best offense in the league is not too shabby, if I do say so myself. I'd have to say thats pretty darn good for a 2nd year QB who didn't play until the middle of last year and who will only mature.Big Ben was not better than Eli on any of those items mentioned above this year. Of course he had a higher completion rate and better passer rating, and is part of a team that made it to the AFC Championship, but they seem quite equal at this point in time. Big Ben was along for the ride last year in the playoffs.

Its way to early to be saying Ben is a better QB after 2 seasons and to the fact they play in entirely different scenarios. (Big Ben in hardcore running system, Eli in a high octane passing offense)
Ben was significantly better last year and is significantly better this year. The system argument can't account for the difference in production. In fact, Manning's supporting cast on offense might actually be better than Ben's.

But if everyone knew then what we know now, SD doesn't draft a QB at all. They stick with Brees, take Taylor and likely are still playing now. Can you imagin having both Marriman and Taylor on the same D! :eek:
The smart move would have been to trade down again, with Cleveland and take Deangelo Hall. With the 2nd rounder acquired, draft Bob Sanders.

Except if the Chargers don't draft a quaterback whom they then trade to NYG, they don't have Merriman, because they don't get that pick..p.s. Sorry for the bump

Eli at home vs. Denver 54% completions

5.1 Yards per Pass Attempt

2 TD/1 INT

74.9 Passer Rating

Ben at Denver (AFC Champ)

72% completions

9.5 Yards per Pass Attempt

2 TD/O INT

1 TD Rushing

124.9 Passer Rating

1 Trip to the Super Bowl

Is there anyone who doesn't think they'd sit tight at 1.04 and take Big Ben?

:towelwave:
Eli was/is overhyped so I believe they would still take Eli. He's a Manning and Mannings are proven winners...especially in the clutch. :ph34r:

Eli at home vs. Denver 54% completions

5.1 Yards per Pass Attempt

2 TD/1 INT

74.9 Passer Rating

Ben at Denver (AFC Champ)

72% completions

9.5 Yards per Pass Attempt

2 TD/O INT

1 TD Rushing

124.9 Passer Rating

1 Trip to the Super Bowl
:own3d:

Are we really debating what a team would do differently on draft day with the benefit of hindsight?Look I understand Steeler fans are happy these days. I personally am happy for ya as I tend to like the organization and how it's run. But seeing how much the Pitt fans whined about how Patriots people talked when they were on top, I can honestly say Steeler Nation isn't getting off to a good start. Really, do you seriously feel the need to start this argument? "My QB is better than your QB". Two seasons does not a career make. Marino looked pretty damn good his first few seasons too but he never collected any hardware.

Are we really debating what a team would do differently on draft day with the benefit of hindsight?

Look I understand Steeler fans are happy these days. I personally am happy for ya as I tend to like the organization and how it's run. But seeing how much the Pitt fans whined about how Patriots people talked when they were on top, I can honestly say Steeler Nation isn't getting off to a good start.

Really, do you seriously feel the need to start this argument? "My QB is better than your QB". Two seasons does not a career make. Marino looked pretty damn good his first few seasons too but he never collected any hardware.
Funny, I would have guessed RAIDERNATION as a well... Raider fan. I mean the name and the av would lead me to believe so anyways. I guess I can see how you thought he was a Steeler fan from the :towelwave: though.

Very fitting IMO.

You couldn't be more wrong about NYC. Results are what matters, not name recognition, and it's not even close.

Very fitting IMO.

You couldn't be more wrong about NYC. Results are what matters, not name recognition, and it's not even close.
Do you happen to have a break-down of jersey sales in NYC?How many season tickets were sold when Eli was drafted?

Very fitting IMO.

Do you happen to have a break-down of jersey sales in NYC?How many season tickets were sold when Eli was drafted?
Do you have a breakdown?? How many stars are on that team anyway who would be big merchandise sellers? Not many. Also, if Ben had been drafted by the Giants, what makes you think his jersey wouldn't sell? QBs sell. They are the face of the franchise a lot of the time. Your ignorance about NYC shows even more, though, when you ask about ticket sales. Every seat in the stadium is a season ticket and there is a 20+ year waiting list to get them. How do you think ticket sales were effected?? Answer - no effect at all.

Very fitting IMO.

Do you have a breakdown?? How many stars are on that team anyway who would be big merchandise sellers? Not many. Also, if Ben had been drafted by the Giants, what makes you think his jersey wouldn't sell? QBs sell. They are the face of the franchise a lot of the time. Your ignorance about NYC shows even more, though, when you ask about ticket sales. Every seat in the stadium is a season ticket and there is a 20+ year waiting list to get them. How do you think ticket sales were effected?? Answer - no effect at all.
I think gump would have the breakdown you both are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread