What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elvis Dumervil arrested in Miami (1 Viewer)

ffldrew

Footballguy
http://www.denverpos...-weapons-charge

Broncos star defensive end Elvis Dumervil has been arrested in Miami and charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, according to court records in Miami-Dade County. The charge is a felony.

KCNC, CBS's Denver affiliate, first reported the arrest, and the station reports that Dumervil was arrested Saturday night. The station reported Dumervil was held on $7,500 bail.

Dumervil is not currently listed as an inmate in the Dade County jail. Details of what led to the arrest are not yet available.

Dumervil is a Miami native and spends his offseason there.

Broncos players are set to report to training camp on July 25.

The team has been in contact with police officials in Miami today, and released the following statement:

"Our organization is aware of the matter and is continuing to gather facts. The is a very serious allegation, and we will thoroughly review the details while the legal process runs its course."

Dumervil, 28, is a two-time Pro Bowler and one of the longest-tenured Broncos. He had 9.5 sacks in 14 games last year despite playing through injuries. He missed all of 2010 with a torn pectoral muscle.

Read more: Broncos' Elvis Dumervil arrested in Miami on felony weapons charge - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21081229/broncos-elvis-dumervil-arrested-felony-weapons-charge#ixzz20ivg3SSB

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Last edited by a moderator:
He was out all last year correct? Sad and he deserves a hefty suspension from Goodell. This is at least 4 games, would like to see an 8 or 16 game suspension for this kind of nonsense.

I do support an American's right to own a gun but I believe there are laws in place to properly buy and get the proper paperwork to own the guns. If that had happened and he had a concealed weapons permit then perhaps this does not occur, right/wrong?

I'm not anti-gun but I don't like when folks buy them and don't go thru the proper channels to own them.

FWIW:http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8168605/elvis-dumervil-denver-broncos-arrested-miami-saturday"No charges have been filed. No aggravated assault or assault took place. And it is likely that once the full investigation is complete, no charges will be filed against Mr. Dumervil," Harvey Steinberg, Dumervil's attorney, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
How could he be arrested and charged with aggravated assault and there be no charges filed? The statement of Harvey Steinberg seems strange to me... perhaps he means the D.A. in Miami hasn't formally started the prosecution yet? But it's over the weekend, so I don't get why the D.A. would be doing anything on a Sunday when the court is presumably closed...

FWIW:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8168605/elvis-dumervil-denver-broncos-arrested-miami-saturday

"No charges have been filed. No aggravated assault or assault took place. And it is likely that once the full investigation is complete, no charges will be filed against Mr. Dumervil," Harvey Steinberg, Dumervil's attorney, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
How could he be arrested and charged with aggravated assault and there be no charges filed? The statement of Harvey Steinberg seems strange to me... perhaps he means the D.A. in Miami hasn't formally started the prosecution yet? But it's over the weekend, so I don't get why the D.A. would be doing anything on a Sunday when the court is presumably closed...

FWIW:http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8168605/elvis-dumervil-denver-broncos-arrested-miami-saturday"No charges have been filed. No aggravated assault or assault took place. And it is likely that once the full investigation is complete, no charges will be filed against Mr. Dumervil," Harvey Steinberg, Dumervil's attorney, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
How could he be arrested and charged with aggravated assault and there be no charges filed?
Sounds like domestic and he knows the girlfriend won't press charges. Wild guess.Also, NFL players should never ever go to Miami.

FWIW:

http://espn.go.com/n...-miami-saturday

"No charges have been filed. No aggravated assault or assault took place. And it is likely that once the full investigation is complete, no charges will be filed against Mr. Dumervil," Harvey Steinberg, Dumervil's attorney, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
Harvey Steinberg is the man if you are an NFL player in trouble - I think all of the Broncos have him on speed dial - he got Parish Cox off for rape here a couple of months ago. However - Roger Goodell is a different type of jury and executioner and if Plaxico and other involved in gun actions have had to pay the price - Elvis and the Broncos will best be ready for some missed time.

You know... I would be perfectly fine with my wife getting into "parking space" fights and "cut in line" fights... if only she made 61 million over 6 years.

:kicksrock:

The police report was suppose to be open to public today, curious to see what it says. What time does things open in Miami? Ain't it about 10:30 there? File that report! The people need to know!

Good posting. The original writer may have meant he was arrested and booked. Or Dumervil's attorney could mean that once the prosecutor hears the facts, he/she will not seek an indictment. "Charged" can be a bit vague and broad in usage.One thing is certain, though. Possessing a weapon is not felony assault. So we either have an overzealous officer(s) or there's much more to this story.

Here's what happened per police report: - Dumervil was in his Land Rover, following his buddy in a Mercedes. a white Chevy Impala cut in between them. Mercedes driver gets pissed, honks horn, yells, etc. Impala yells back, gets out of car to yell back @ Mercedes. lady in Impala throws something @ Land Rover. Guy gets out of Mercedes, walks up to Impala, verbally threatens and displays gun in waist band. Dumervil does same.

I can see how that constitutes aggravated assault:

784.021 Aggravated assault.—

(1) An “aggravated assault” is an assault:

(a) With a deadly weapon without intent to kill; or

(b) With an intent to commit a felony.

(2) Whoever commits an aggravated assault shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
I doubt he serves any time, as ffldrew noted, he's got a crack lawyer on the case. It doesn't help dumervil's case that he initially told the officer he didn't have a weapon in the car, and then they found it in the glove box. I'm not defending Dumervil's actions here, but a couple of things:

1. I understand why he would carry a gun. NFL players can be targets - see Darrent Williams murder, of which Dumervil was present at.

2. if you are carrying a gun, and you are threatened first (i.e. verbally as well as an object being thrown at you), is displaying your gun appropriate? Are you using the gun to threaten at that point?

eta: it is not appropriate to display a firearm unless in an act of self defense from a deadly weapon - I really don't think Elvis could have thought his life was in danger here, so he really has no defense here.

I don't own a gun, but it must feel pretty cool to lift the shirt and display the gun. Like Ice Cube in Boyz N the Hood:

"Oh, we got a problem here? We got a problem here?!?" :gang1:

I just want to do that once.

'Buffaloes said:
he deserves a hefty suspension from Goodell. This is at least 4 games, would like to see an 8 or 16 game suspension for this kind of nonsense.
charges dropped. :coffee:
The video I saw did not look good. Remember that no charges were filed against Ben Roethlisberger either.
weird, haven't heard of such a vid existing. seems if there was one it would have been available somewhere on the internet, but I haven't seen one or heard of one existing until your post.Also, sexual assault allegations from multiple women <> a road rage incident.

Users who are viewing this thread