What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Emerging Stretch Run/Playoff Emerging Stars (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
It's about that time when players emerge and have a great run over the last several weeks of the fantasy season/playoffs. Who are you expecting to emerge from non starter to line up lock? Also, name a star from the past that closed a season out on a great run.

Late 1990s - Patrick Jeffers. 5 straight games with 100+ yards and 1-2 TDs per game to close out Panthers season

Christian Watson is the flavor of the month right now but I expect high volatility

I am going with - Treylon Burks - to finish strong; great opportunity and has flashed some skill

Who you got?

It's about that time when players emerge and have a great run over the last several weeks of the fantasy season/playoffs. Who are you expecting to emerge from non starter to line up lock? Also, name a star from the past that closed a season out on a great run.

Late 1990s - Patrick Jeffers. 5 straight games with 100+ yards and 1-2 TDs per game to close out Panthers season

Christian Watson is the flavor of the month right now but I expect high volatility

I am going with - Treylon Burks - to finish strong; great opportunity and has flashed some skill

Who you got?
I think it's a bold call on Burks. He has shown very little in the limited amount he has been on the field, which is another concern as he has not been able to stay on the field. Tannehill also throws about 26 times per game, which is around 29th in the league.

I think Toney has an opportunity to become the #1 WR in KC by end of season even if the receiving corps were entirely healthy, the potential absence of MVS, JuJu & Hardman this week (all missed practice today) may help accelerate that timeline.

Watson is the flavor of the month and anyone expecting that kind of production consistently, or even ever again in his career, is practicing magical thinking. However there is a Davante Adams sized hole in the Packers receiving game that Alan Lazard has fallen short of filling, despite giving a yeoman's effort. No one will fill that void entirely this season but if anyone currently on the roster is going to come even remotely close I think it's Watson and not Doubs. At the very least he's earned one more game of opportunity to do so.

2004 Larry Johnson going from #3 RB on KC, to Alexander/Tomlinson level is my favorite, but mostly because I had him that year.

I think a candidate that is interesting is Parris Campbell. He's always had the talent, he just has never been healthy. Now he's got a QB who loves to target his type of routes, and I think he's a guy who could with a little TD luck be a star down the stretch.

How about our old buddy, Gabe Davis

Was able to watch the entire Bills/Vikings game and really liked his usage. 10 targets and 6/93/1. Had another chance for a TD and Josh airmailed it a bit. Also the target on the last play of the game that Josh threw right to Peterson.

Could be lining up for a nice finish to the season

Zamir White once the Raiders are mathematically eliminated. They need to see if he is capable of replacing Jacobs who deserves a big payday perhaps with Fields in CHI.

Zamir White once the Raiders are mathematically eliminated. They need to see if he is capable of replacing Jacobs who deserves a big payday perhaps with Fields in CHI.
I would go the other way. He might get some "show me" time, but once it's shown, imagine they shelve him versus risk an unnecessary injury.

Long shot....but Tyree Jackson.

Seems like the stars are aligning. Just got healthy as Goedirt goes down. Great offense with a QB that loves to throw to the TE. Not much real TE competiton. He's a huge target and impressive athelete. Will that translate into FF success....time will tell.

any browns fans with thoughts on David Bell - should be an uptick in Browns passing game with watson returning

Toney. Probably not Cheetah type numbers. But Cheetah light. Could be a bottom tier WR1 / top tier WR2 the rest of the season if KC utilizes him to the extent I think they will. Surprised no one else mentioned him.

any browns fans with thoughts on David Bell - should be an uptick in Browns passing game with watson returning
he's been a stash for me. Really liked him at Purdue and want to see what he can do with Watson, but I doubt he breaks out this season imo

A few that come to mind:

• Kmet: He is Fields favorite target and has 5 TD's over the last few weeks. I don't see that stopping
  • Toney: He is going to be Mahomes downfiled guy
  • TJ Watt for big play scoring in IDP
  • Jack Sanborn IDP - Bears are going to get tackle opportunities; No Roquan.

Some other less notable players . . .

TE Juwan Johnson NOS has 4 TD over the last 4 games.
RB Tony Pollard DAL has averaged 128 YFS and scored 4 TD in the past 3 games with Zeke banged up.
WR Christian Kirk JAC has started to earn some of that big pay day with 17-181-3 over the last 2 weeks with 21 targets.
WR Rondale Moore ARI had 24 catches, 267 YFS, and a TD over the past 3 games.
PK Nick Folk NEP has back-to-back games with 20 fantasy points playing for an offense that stalls before it even gets into the red zone.

WR Christian Kirk JAC has started to earn some of that big pay day with 17-181-3 over the last 2 weeks with 21 targets.
Dude is currently wr7 in one of my leagues after the last game. What else can he do for you people?

This thread makes me nostalgic for the Billy Voleck Drew Bennett stack I road to a bowl so many years ago.

For this year all the shares of Jeff Wilson you've got. Top 10 rb after his bye week, my flag is planted.

Dude is currently wr7 in one of my leagues after the last game. What else can he do for you people?

This thread makes me nostalgic for the Billy Voleck Drew Bennett stack I road to a bowl so many years ago.

For this year all the shares of Jeff Wilson you've got. Top 10 rb after his bye week, my flag is planted.
I did this as well. You are bringing me back to my best years of fantasy. I would find and play the hot hand as flavors of the month and consistently beat teams who rolled out their every week studs and annoyed the heck out of people. Can't beat 900+ yards passing with 8 TD in the fantasy stretch run from Volek in 2 games (paired with Bennett's at 25-400-7). Good times.

Dark horse, or maybe not, Keaontay Ingram. His stats didn't look great, but he passed the eye test in that Thursday Night game vs the Saints and only has Connor in front of him who risks injury just stepping on the field for pregame. Ingram looked explosive, confident and fearless in limited action. Cardinals play the Falcons in week 17. I'm stashing now.

Agree with a lot of answers so I'll try and give some different options and the kind of options that should be available on a lot of your leagues waivers.

Vikings defense. This week is arguably their last non plus matchup of the season and after this week they face nothing but inept offenses and/or subpar QB's.

Dobbins. He's not a league winner in the classic sense but I think there is a chance he can be a solid RB2. I fully expect him to look better when he returns then he did previously, that's why he had the surgery. Should be back in a few weeks with a few week ramp up till playoffs start.

For a super long shot I"ll throw out Elijah Moore. There is a good chance he continues to be abysmal but the talk of playing him in the slot more is music to my ears. I'd at least see about putting him on a roster if you can and see if his attitude and usage change and lead to him being more of what we expected entering the season.

Dark horse, or maybe not, Keaontay Ingram. His stats didn't look great, but he passed the eye test in that Thursday Night game vs the Saints and only has Connor in front of him who risks injury just stepping on the field for pregame. Ingram looked explosive, confident and fearless in limited action. Cardinals play the Falcons in week 17. I'm stashing now.
Wasn't he like 11/16 rushing that game? He did score a 1 yard TD to give him a decent FF total for a backup, but thought he looked pretty pedestian. Definitey not explosive. Maybe confindent. Maybe fearless. Explosive? No

TE Juwan Johnson NOS has 4 TD over the last 4 games.
RB Tony Pollard DAL has averaged 128 YFS and scored 4 TD in the past 3 games with Zeke banged up.
WR Rondale Moore ARI had 24 catches, 267 YFS, and a TD over the past 3 games.
PK Nick Folk NEP has back-to-back games with 20 fantasy points playing for an offense that stalls before it even gets into the red zone.
Nick Folk is underrated in fantasy. He was the #1 kicker in my league last year. He was #2 prior to his bye last week and you never hear anything about him.

Not an "emerging star" I suppose, but I think Kenyan Drake may boost a bunch of teams through the fantasy playoffs.
Jeff Wilson 2.0?
Do you think Drake has actually seized the RB1 spot on this team?
Dobbins. He's not a league winner in the classic sense but I think there is a chance he can be a solid RB2. I fully expect him to look better when he returns then he did previously, that's why he had the surgery. Should be back in a few weeks with a few week ramp up till playoffs start.
Let's throw the gus bus in there for good measure. In my eye test he's been the best up the middle guy they've had all season.

I feel like this says a lot about how risky trusting any ravens rb is.

• Laughing
Reactions: Zow
Not an "emerging star" I suppose, but I think Kenyan Drake may boost a bunch of teams through the fantasy playoffs.
Jeff Wilson 2.0?
Do you think Drake has actually seized the RB1 spot on this team?
I'm not a Baltimore guy by any stretch so I'll defer to any diehard, but my rational is based on:
- Ravens, in the last ten years presented us with opportunities for unexpected backs to excel (see e.g. Edwards, Collins, Forsett)
- The Ravens schedule gets quite favorable down the stretch
- Based on what I've seen, Drake has looked the best

Wasn't he like 11/16 rushing that game? He did score a 1 yard TD to give him a decent FF total for a backup, but thought he looked pretty pedestian. Definitey not explosive. Maybe confindent. Maybe fearless. Explosive? No
You obviously weren't watching the game. Like I said the stats weren't great, but he also had a 2nd, longer TD called back due to penalty that he looked great on. The Saints run D was playing well, no doubt, but sometimes you have to dig a little beneath the surface for a better picture of reality. He also caught 2 balls for 22 yards, getting most of the yards on a very nifty catch and run. He passed the eye test for me, and has a realistic path to significant playing time. This is the type of player you pick up before he goes off, not after. The video below includes all his touches, including the TD that got called back.

You obviously weren't watching the game. Like I said the stats weren't great, but he also had a 2nd, longer TD called back due to penalty that he looked great on. The Saints run D was playing well, no doubt, but sometimes you have to dig a little beneath the surface for a better picture of reality. He also caught 2 balls for 22 yards, getting most of the yards on a very nifty catch and run. He passed the eye test for me, and has a realistic path to significant playing time. This is the type of player you pick up before he goes off, not after. The video below includes all his touches, including the TD that got called back.

I watched the whole game. Was running for 1 yard pretty much every play.

Wasn't impressed and I have nothing against him or the Cards

Was high on him coming into the NFL draft, especially after seeing his combine numbers. His hands have warts, but you can't teach the size/speed combo and the Pack are desperate for play making. His college highlight reel looks exactly like his week 10 highlight reel.

#EarToTheGround #HandOnTheWire
Hands seem fine. Ball tracking and discipline seem to be the only issues I see. IMO the latter is easier to fix with experience. What I’ve seen is soft hands when he sees the ball early. I think this guy turns into a star if he’s able to work with AR for a few years.
I can't quite put my finger on it but he seems to look a little unsteady - like he is fighting the ball a little even when he makes plays. He has all the talent but I am not sure pass catching comes natural to him. Am I hallucinating or does anyone else see this too?
He was getting blown up behind the line on almost every carry. Every touch is in the highlight I posed. I'm not sure who would succeed in that circumstance. If you can't at least acknowledge he looked great on that 20 yard catch and run where he showed burst, vision and agility, or either one of the TD runs, then I don't know what to say. He's not some dude off the street. He has a good pedigree and the physical tools to succeed in this league. I'm not calling him a star, I'm just saying the potential to be one is there.

Who you got?

Ahhh...the Beuerlein to Jeffers FA stack took me to my first FF championship!! I'm always searching for that magical stack every year since then. (I picked up Bennett too, but didn't have McNair)

Was high on him coming into the NFL draft, especially after seeing his combine numbers. His hands have warts, but you can't teach the size/speed combo and the Pack are desperate for play making. His college highlight reel looks exactly like his week 10 highlight reel.

#EarToTheGround #HandOnTheWire
Hands seem fine. Ball tracking and discipline seem to be the only issues I see. IMO the latter is easier to fix with experience. What I’ve seen is soft hands when he sees the ball early. I think this guy turns into a star if he’s able to work with AR for a few years.
I can't quite put my finger on it but he seems to look a little unsteady - like he is fighting the ball a little even when he makes plays. He has all the talent but I am not sure pass catching comes natural to him. Am I hallucinating or does anyone else see this too?
He was getting blown up behind the line on almost every carry. Every touch is in the highlight I posed. I'm not sure who would succeed in that circumstance. If you can't at least acknowledge he looked great on that 20 yard catch and run where he showed burst, vision and agility, or either one of the TD runs, then I don't know what to say. He's not some dude off the street. He has a good pedigree and the physical tools to succeed in this league. I'm not calling him a star, I'm just saying the potential to be one is there.
I am not sure who you are referring to but I was talking about Christian Watson who is a WR. Blown up behind the line on carries?
I agree with the assessment that he probably just lacks confidence and has all the tools to become a stud WR.

Users who are viewing this thread