What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

emmanuel sanders visits patriots. (1 Viewer)

Conflicting reports as to whether the Pats signed Sanders to an offer sheet.
Looks like someone jumped the gun - he left without being given an offer.
They could have very likely agreed to terms and are waiting a bit to sign it with the hopes the Steelers sign another player or two which would make it that much harder to match.
I believe the Pats are trying to figure out what they are going to do with Brandon Lloyd, who is due a $3 million roster bonus if still on the roster by the end of today. Lloyd has said he would redo his deal, but that has not happened as of yet.

They could have very likely agreed to terms and are waiting a bit to sign it with the hopes the Steelers sign another player or two which would make it that much harder to match.
I believe the Pats are trying to figure out what they are going to do with Brandon Lloyd, who is due a $3 million roster bonus if still on the roster by the end of today. Lloyd has said he would redo his deal, but that has not happened as of yet.
Lloyd just got released.

Lloyd just got released.
Good

Patriots make an offer-Steelers have 5 days to match. Jason LaCanfora says it's a one year deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patriots make an offer-Steelers have 5 days to match. Jason LaCanfora says it's a one year deal.
Except I am not sure LaCanfora said it was a one year deal. ROTOWORLD said it was for one year. The LaCanfora tweet does not say anything about how many years the offer is for. Not sure if it really is for only a year, but it will get cleared up eventually.

Except I am not sure LaCanfora said it was a one year deal. ROTOWORLD said it was for one year. The LaCanfora tweet does not say anything about how many years the offer is for. Not sure if it really is for only a year, but it will get cleared up eventually.
Schefter confirmed it was a one year deal.

If sanders works out well for them, they can lock up their entire receiving unit for the rest of bradys career. If not, they try a new piece.

I am starting to get more concerned about gronk, though. Trading a third round pick for a potential one year rental could be a sign that they're worried his arm troubles will extend into the season.

Is anyone clear enough on the RFA rules to answer this: If the Steelers are able to or choose to match the offer sheet do they still have the option of signing Sanders to a long term deal prior to him hitting UFA next year? Could the Pats extend him prior to hitting UFA?

I just don't see any upside to the Steelers matching (if they are in a position to do so) if he is going to be a UFA in 2014. Take the pick and the cap space and run like you just stole something Colbert.

If sanders works out well for them, they can lock up their entire receiving unit for the rest of bradys career. If not, they try a new piece.I am starting to get more concerned about gronk, though. Trading a third round pick for a potential one year rental could be a sign that they're worried his arm troubles will extend into the season.
Personally, I don't see this says much of anything about how they feel about Gronk. :shrug:

They have to replace Lloyd and Sanders fills that spot/void.

I got the news from cbs sports under LaCanfora's byline. should've posted that. You can always extend a players contract-except during his free agency. The one year offer is kind of a "poison pill" for the Steelers.

Rumors are 1 yr, $4M-ish
why trade a 3rd for a 1 yr stop gap
Because they feel he's more than a 1 year stop gap.

They do the one year deal to make it hard for the Steelers to sign. Then the guy has 16 regular season games and maybe some post season games to get extended.

That and we all know the Patriots will trade down a half dozen times and get that 3rd back and then some...

Speculation that I've heard suggests that if Sanders walks as an UFA, the team would get a 4th rounder as a compensatory pick. So in essence, Belichick would be trading a 3rd rounder + one year of Sanders for a 2014 4th rounder, if Sanders leaves after one season. Just to rebalance the math on this deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...uel-sanders-signed-to-offer-sheet-by-patriots

Emmanuel Sanders signed to offer sheet by Patriots

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The New England Patriots hosted Pittsburgh Steelers restricted free-agent wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders for a visit early in the free agency process. Now they are ready to do something about it.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday morning the Patriots submitted an offer sheet for Emmanuel Sanders. It's a one-year contract. The Patriots would have to send a third-round pick to Pittsburgh in exchange for Sanders if the Steelers were unable to match the offer.

Some thoughts:

» The Steelers do not have much salary cap room. The Patriots can make it very difficult -- or nearly impossible -- for the Steelers to match the offer unless the Steelers want to release other players to fit Sanders under the cap. Another option, according to Rapoport: Restructuring Troy Polamalu's contract, which would push dead money into the future.

» The fact it would be a one-year contract is surprising, but perhaps the Patriots believe that will make it more difficult for their AFC rivals to match. The Patriots still can work out a long-term contract for Sanders after the 2013 season. It's hard to fathom the Patriots giving up a third-round pick unless they believe Sanders is a long-term solution.

» After Mike Wallace's departure to the Miami Dolphins, the Steelers really do not want to lose Sanders. Heath Miller is coming off a torn ACL. The Steelers don't want to have to rely on Plaxico Burress and Jerricho Cotchery as pass-catchers.

» The Steelers have five days to match the Patriots offer.

» If Pittsburgh does not match, New England doesn't have a pick between rounds 3-5 of this year's draft. I'd expect a lot of trading from New England.

If sanders works out well for them, they can lock up their entire receiving unit for the rest of bradys career. If not, they try a new piece.I am starting to get more concerned about gronk, though. Trading a third round pick for a potential one year rental could be a sign that they're worried his arm troubles will extend into the season.
Personally, I don't see this says much of anything about how they feel about Gronk. :shrug: They have to replace Lloyd and Sanders fills that spot/void.
Right. Its smoke, not fire, which is why I said that it could be a sign. This move was rumored for weeks and this was probably a good time to do it. They've been throwing spaghetti at the wall at wr since before brady, so its no surprise that they've added or removed yet another wr. But the idea that the gronk news came out and they quickly made a highly unusual one year rfa signing could be related, and it is worth noting imo.

Speculation that I've heard suggests that if Sanders walks as an UFA, the team would get a 4th rounder as a compensatory pick. So in essence, Belichick would be trading a 3rd rounder + one year of Sanders for a 2014 4th rounder, if Sanders leaves after one season. Just to rebalance the math on this deal.
Aren't compensatory picks determined on both contract and performance numbers? Should be impossible to know what he would bring in 2014 compensatory picks at this point.

Or is there something about RFA rules that means an automatic 4th is awarded?

treat88 said:
Workhorse said:
Aren't compensatory picks determined on both contract and performance numbers? Should be impossible to know what he would bring in 2014 compensatory picks at this point.

Or is there something about RFA rules that means an automatic 4th is awarded?
There is no way to know at this point what could happen for compensatory picks down the road. It would depend on how much money Sanders would sign for someplace else, who the Pats lost in free agency, and which other free agents the Pats signed as well. They look at a combination net gain and net loss of free agents. Performance is listed as one of the criteria, but from what I have observed I have not seen that play out in practice. Looking at just Sanders, unless he signed for bigger dollars someplace else, IMO a 4th would be wishful thinking.

Interesting tactic. As soon as Sanders is transfered to Patriots they can negotiate an extension, right?

If so, they really are making it as hard as possible for the Steelers to match

Interesting tactic. As soon as Sanders is transfered to Patriots they can negotiate an extension, right?

I don't think so. I believe they would have to wait until the season is over. IIRC, you can only negotiate or renegotiate a contract once in an NFL calendar year.

I think they had a similar issue when they traded for Randy Moss. They wanted to redo his deal to get to NE, redo his deal after he got to NE, and wanted to sign him to an extension during the season and couldn't do that either. Ultimately for Moss I believe they took on his contract from OAK (0 contract changes), reworked his contract when he got to town to lower his cap number (1 contract change), but could not give him an extension until the following year (so no other contract change). Net total: 1 contract change.

I don't think so. I believe they would have to wait until the season is over. IIRC, you can only negotiate or renegotiate a contract once in an NFL calendar year.

I think they had a similar issue when they traded for Randy Moss. They wanted to redo his deal to get to NE, redo his deal after he got to NE, and wanted to sign him to an extension during the season and couldn't do that either. Ultimately for Moss I believe they took on his contract from OAK (0 contract changes), reworked his contract when he got to town to lower his cap number (1 contract change), but could not give him an extension until the following year (so no other contract change). Net total: 1 contract change.
Doesn't matter if he plays for Pittsburgh or NE - it is a one year deal for $4M. Sanders will be a UFA after this season.

So what do people see out of ManSand this season? Better value in NE? Last time they sign an RFA WR it was Welker, IIRC.

So what do people see out of ManSand this season? Better value in NE? Last time they sign an RFA WR it was Welker, IIRC.
my gut says better value in Pitt

There's so much in flux there on the O-side of the ball that he may be one of the few pieces with some continuity and chemistry with Ben, that could increase his looks

could be totally off though

i've never been too overly impressed with him

Doesn't matter if he plays for Pittsburgh or NE - it is a one year deal for $4M. Sanders will be a UFA after this season.
The question was whether the Pats could immediately rework or extend Sanders contract if he ended up in NE,

The question was whether the Pats could immediately rework or extend Sanders contract if he ended up in NE,
ok, as I underestand it Sanders must be paid the $4M salary for 2013 that is in the offer sheet. I think NE could sign him to a longer deal as long as his salary for 2013 is at least the $4M that is in the offer sheet. Of course if they did that his cap hit for 2013 would be the $4M plus the pro-rated portion of any signing bonus in the re-done deal.

The offer sheet that Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders signed is worth $2.5 million. Steelers choice: match or get NE's third-round pick by Sun.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 10, 2013

I think it has less to do with environment and more to do with health. I think Sanders would be a household name if he could stay healthy.

Obviously the Patriot brain trust must think that Sanders is quite a bit better than the prospects that could be available in the 3rd round.

The offer sheet that Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders signed is worth $2.5 million. Steelers choice: match or get NE's third-round pick by Sun.

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

April 10, 2013
Doesn't sound like that aggressive of an offer, I think the Steelers can free up that money and match it. It is only an additional 1.2M for them.

Obviously the Patriot brain trust must think that Sanders is quite a bit better than the prospects that could be available in the 3rd round.
Or that with proven veteran WRs being an area of need for the Patriots, and with the fact that a WR selected with that 3rd round pick would likely need at least 2-3 years to develop, they may see it as the right move to maximize their chances of winning another Super Bowl (while also impacting an AFC rival).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ill-pittsburgh-steelers-keep-emmanuel-sanders

Will Pittsburgh Steelers keep Emmanuel Sanders?
By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

For once, it's not about the money.

NFLcom's Albert Breer reported Wednesday that Pittsburgh Steelers restricted free agent receiver Emmanuel Sanders signed an offer sheet with the New England Patriots worth "only" $2.5 million over one year. The Steelers have five days to decide to match and retain Sanders or take the Patriots' third round pick.

So what does this relatively low contract offer tell us?

The Patriots aren't necessarily trying to make it impossible for the Steelers to match it financially. The Steelers could make the money work if they really wanted to. New England is betting that the Steelers would prefer to take a third-round draft pick over keeping Sanders. The Patriots probably are right.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport talked to a source who said Pittsburgh's decision would come "down to the wire," but my guess is the Steelers let Sanders walk.

If the Steelers were willing to pay Sanders this much, they could have tendered him as a restricted free agent at a higher level. Instead, they gave Sanders an "original pick" tender worth just more than $1.3 million. The offer sheet that Sanders signed is for one year, but it has long-term implications.

If the Steelers aren't confident that Sanders will be around past 2013, they'd surely rather have a third-round pick under their control for four years. New England, meanwhile, still could sign Sanders long-term in the upcoming months. I'd expect it.

It makes no sense for the Patriots to give up a third-round pick for just one year of Sanders. It makes a lot of sense for the Patriots to sign Sanders to a one-year deal now, and then sign Sanders to a long-term extension at some point before the season. (It wouldn't be a surprise if the Patriots already had parameters of a long-term deal in place with Sanders. That would be against league rules, but impossible to prove.)

The Steelers are in a tough spot. They probably have no confidence they can sign Sanders long-term. That third round pick looks pretty good at this point, and the Patriots know it.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

I don't really get this for the Patriots. If they're giving up a 3rd, I would have expected they get him under contract for longer than 1 year.

I wouldn't trust a verbal agreement from the Pats to be honest. Haven't they ####ed players on these before? At least according to disgruntled ex-players?

I wouldn't trust a verbal agreement from the Pats to be honest. Haven't they ####ed players on these before? At least according to disgruntled ex-players?
So? If they don't live up to this hypothetical verbal agreement, he plays for $2.5 million. Still almost double what the Steelers are paying him. No downside.

Users who are viewing this thread