What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

emmanuel sanders visits patriots. (1 Viewer)

Patriots WR draft history:

Bethel Johnson (2nd) 2003

Deion Branch (2nd) 2002

Chad Jackson (2nd) 2006

Taylor Price (3rd) 2010

Brandon Tate (3rd) 2009

Matt Slater (6th) 2008

Jeremy Ebert (7th) 2012

PK Sam (7th) 2004

David Givens (7th) 2002

Last edited by a moderator:
WR Aaron Bailey FA 2000

WR Tony Gaiter FA 2000

WRChris Calloway FA 2000

WRBert Emanuel FA 2001

WR Charles Johnson FA 2001

WR Sean Morey FA 2001

WR David Patten FA 2001

WR Torrance Small 2001

WR Donald Hayes FA 2002

WR Dedric Ward FA 2003

WR Michael Jennings FA 2004

WR Eugene Baker FA 2005

WR Rich Musinski FA 2005

WR Jake Schifino FA 2005

WR David Terrell FA 2005

WR Tim Dwight FA 2005

WR Andre Davis TRADE 2005

WR Reche Caldwell FA 2006

WR Keron Henry FA 2006

WR Rich Musinski FA 2006

WR Zuriel Smith FA 2006

WR John Stone FA 2006

WR Doug Gabriel TRADE 2006

WR Kelvin Kight FA 2006

WR C.J. Jones FA 2007

WR Randy Moss TRADE 2007

WR Donte Stallworth FA 2007

WR Kelley Washington FA 2007

WR Wes Welker TRADE 2007

WR Sam Aiken FA 2008

WR Robert Ortiz FA 2008

WR Joey Galloway FA 2009

WR Greg Lewis TRADE 2009

WR Torry Holt FA 2010

WR David Patten FA 2010

WR Tyree Barnes FA 2011

WR Chad Ochocino (Trade) 2011

WR Tiquan Underwood FA 2011

WR Anthony Gonzalez 2012

WR Brandon Lloyd 2012

WR Donte Stallworth 2012

WR Jabar Gaffney 2012

Some of the years in the early 2000's may be off as I tried to clean up the cut & paste. Either way, it's a pretty crappy list.

All this NE bashing is just jealousy. If you stop an think about it though, just imagine if they had done better at drafting WR. I shudder to think of the GB WR corp lining up for Tom. It is truly amazing what this team has accomplished.

As a jealous hater myself, I can't wait for the post Brady era for the Pats. The undefeated season SB flop was my favorite NFL game to watch evah.

Point of order here for this saying the Patriots can't develop WR. It's more like the Patriots won't draft WR. If they drafted as as many WR as Pittsburg I'm guessing they would have dug up a player or two.
it's a fair point, but the specific pitt comparison doesn't really hold up.

people ##### about the pats drafting wr pretty much based off 3 guys in teh last 10 years, or whatever it is.

meanwhile, pitt hasn't drafted all that many more at the position, and while they missed on sweed, they hit on wallace, brown, and sanders is apparently good enough for the pats to take.

but, I could probably find 3 guys at every position that every team has missed on.

these kind of small sample size debates are pretty pointless.

I remember when the pats couldn't find a te, and never drafted an upper round lb.
Agreed. BB threw some fuel on the fire with his remarks about why its especially hard to draft WRs, but if we just classified Hernandez as a WR, then people would look at the whole situation differently. Just look at what people used to say about BB's ability to draft RBs back when Maroney was the starter vs. now with Ridley. One player completely swings perception.

I have no opinion about NE or Pitts ability to draft WR's. The one thing I will take away from all of this, is that everyone involved with the NFL will continue to drag out every decision until the last possible minute. Why? (I liked it better in the old days, when no one knew what was going on. You just read about it in the paper the day after it was done)

Maybe the Steelers are hoping that waiting until Sunday at Midnite, will exact some revenge on NE.

I have no opinion about NE or Pitts ability to draft WR's. The one thing I will take away from all of this, is that everyone involved with the NFL will continue to drag out every decision until the last possible minute. Why? (I liked it better in the old days, when no one knew what was going on. You just read about it in the paper the day after it was done) Maybe the Steelers are hoping that waiting until Sunday at Midnite, will exact some revenge on NE.
Steelers could be trying to work out a LTD with Sanders before the deadline.

I have no opinion about NE or Pitts ability to draft WR's. The one thing I will take away from all of this, is that everyone involved with the NFL will continue to drag out every decision until the last possible minute. Why? (I liked it better in the old days, when no one knew what was going on. You just read about it in the paper the day after it was done) Maybe the Steelers are hoping that waiting until Sunday at Midnite, will exact some revenge on NE.
Could be. But that just proves my point even further. The Steelers had 3 years to work on a long term deal with Sanders. But let's get it done in the last hour.

If I'm Sanders (and there is a secret deal with NE), it would take a much higher $ amount from Pitt to get a deal done. I know, nobody wants to pay more than they have to. But this down to the wire BS has got to stop. Look what happened in Denver with Dumervil.

I have no opinion about NE or Pitts ability to draft WR's. The one thing I will take away from all of this, is that everyone involved with the NFL will continue to drag out every decision until the last possible minute. Why? (I liked it better in the old days, when no one knew what was going on. You just read about it in the paper the day after it was done)

Maybe the Steelers are hoping that waiting until Sunday at Midnite, will exact some revenge on NE.
How is agreeing to a deal revenge?

KCitons said:
JoeSteeler said:
KCitons said:
Could be. But that just proves my point even further. The Steelers had 3 years to work on a long term deal with Sanders. But let's get it done in the last hour.

If I'm Sanders (and there is a secret deal with NE), it would take a much higher $ amount from Pitt to get a deal done. I know, nobody wants to pay more than they have to. But this down to the wire BS has got to stop. Look what happened in Denver with Dumervil.
I really don't agree. The Sanders situation is totally different from Dumervil's.

Sure, Pitt had 3 years to get a deal done with Sanders, but they decided they'd rather keep him for 1 year at 1.3 million than give him an extension. Once Sanders signed the offer sheet, his price for one year doubled, so they had to reevaluate the whole situation.

Also, Sanders new cap number affect more than just his contract. It affects Pitt's ability to sign other FAs, and might require them to restructure some other contracts. They're probably in talks with a bunch of FA RBs, as well as some of their own players over restructuring. All that takes time.

KCitons said:
JoeSteeler said:
KCitons said:

I really don't agree. The Sanders situation is totally different from Dumervil's.

Sure, Pitt had 3 years to get a deal done with Sanders, but they decided they'd rather keep him for 1 year at 1.3 million than give him an extension. Once Sanders signed the offer sheet, his price for one year doubled, so they had to reevaluate the whole situation.

Also, Sanders new cap number affect more than just his contract. It affects Pitt's ability to sign other FAs, and might require them to restructure some other contracts. They're probably in talks with a bunch of FA RBs, as well as some of their own players over restructuring. All that takes time.
Yep, Yep, and Yep. Point still remains, they have 5 days to match the offer from NE. Never see deals get done in the first hour, it's always the last hour.

Tackling Dummies - It was sarcasm. Waiting until Sunday at midnite is the only thing in the Sanders situation that Pitt seems to be in control of.

KCitons said:

If Steelers have decided not to match then no decision needs to be announced. Deadline passes and Sanders is a Patriot and Steelers have an extra 3rd pick.

KCitons said:

If Steelers have decided not to match then no decision needs to be announced. Deadline passes and Sanders is a Patriot and Steelers have an extra 3rd pick.
But some people are saying that Sanders and the Steelers could be working on a long term deal? If that happens in the next 9 hours, it's still a matter of dragging it out to the last possible minute.

I'm not saying it's a Pittsburgh thing, but it happens all the time in the NFL. Whether it's the player, the team, the NFL, the Players Union, everyone waits until the last minute. That last minute, where if something unforseen happens, your decision may be made for you. (see the Dumervil mishap)

Fair enough about the NFL dragging things out in general. I just think this particular situation is one where Pitts delay is perfectly reasonable.

But, yeah, teams and agents do seem to love leaving things till the last possible minute, and this is probably going too far, given that this year we've had one clear example of it blowing up in everyone's faces (the Dumervil fiasco) and another where it could be to blame (Welker--according to the Pats side of the story).

Even if they want to keep Sanders there is really no reason to announce anything until as late in the deadline as possible. The advantage may be small but every bit helps and this case the advantage is every day, every hour they don't match the offer NE has $2.5 million of cap space dedicated to Sanders. Every bit of time they waste to to match the Patriots hands are tied in terms of moving on to their next option. Even if they have no intention of matching the best thing they can do is put out smoke screens indicting they are seriously mulling it over, for the reasons mentioned above.

As to this argument about NE having the skill to draft WR's they just don't do it as often is utter hogwash. I don't want to hear if Hernandez was a WR how it would look different because he's not a WR,he's a move TE.

If we are going to compare when does the comparison begin. When BB started? When Colbert arrived? When Tomlin arrived? All I know is when BB began they've drafted 9 WR's and the best one and only full time NFL starter was Deion Branch and of those 9 picks 4 were #2's and two were #3's. In other words it's been about 11 years since this team drafted a starting caliber WR. That's beyond horrible.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m

Pittsburgh matched offer sheet for WR Emmanuel Sanders.
Quite surprised by that.
Maybe Ben's lobbying pushed them over the edge.
I think this shows that Big Ben has more clout than most of us realized.

Great news for Sanders Dynasty owners, he should be much more productive (fantasy wise) as the #2 WR with the Steelers than he would have been in NE IMO.

Quite surprised by that.

Great news for Sanders Dynasty owners, he should be much more productive (fantasy wise) as the #2 WR with the Steelers than he would have been in NE IMO.
Disagree. See Bruce Arians and santonio.

Wonder if they're picking up the phone right now and saying, hey, if you want him for a second rounder, he's yours.

Quite surprised by that.

That was then. This is now.

Quite surprised by that.

That was then. This is now.
That was a year ago (at least for Arians). Dont see whats changed since then, besides the Steelers not being as good as they were a year ago.

Quite surprised by that.

really? I was thinking the opposite as a Sanders Dyno owner

really? I was thinking the opposite as a Sanders Dyno owner
Why? There are more mouths to feed in NE (Amendola, Gronk & Hernandez) and even #1 WRs there over the years have been hit or miss with fantasy production (did you ever have to start Deion Branch on a weekly basis?). Meanwhile the Steelers #2 WR usually has been a solid flex option at worst (and usually much better than that) and I would think he should see a lot more targets when the only serious competition for balls is Antonio Brown (particularly with Heath Miller on the mend from his ACL and aging duo of Cotchery/Burress being the next options).

I own Sanders and Edelmen (deeeeep league). As a Rams homer, I know that Amendola is going to miss time. He only does two things, catches anything thrown his direction and gets injured. So I'm giddy with this. I think Edelman sees significant playing time (if he can stay heatlhy), and Sanders I think is in a better position with the Steelers (if he can stay healthy).

Lots of ifs!

Users who are viewing this thread