What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Enough with restarting old threads (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyPaul

Footballguy
As I write this the front page has threads that were started in Nov, 2012, May 2013, March 2012, Jan 2013, Aug 2009, March 2013, Jan 2013, Oct 2012, May 2011, July, 2012...and a bunch more, I'm tired of flipping back to look.

All of this back slapping and I told you so stuff makes trying to find relevant information quickly impossible. How does "How do you feel about Cutler now?" started in 2009 help me today. What page of the 29 pages should I start reviewing? "Cutler going foreward" is a great topic, why do opinions from 2009 need to be revisited?

I used to rely on these pages for great thinking by serious fantasy football people. It's still there, but hard to find.

Hate to break it to you, but most threads started are rather useless. Whether they were created today or a few years ago.

If you don't like it, skip it.

I think that you will find that some members of these forums will agree with you, and many will disagree.

I personally would rather see one thread with material relevant to a particular player rather than a new thread being created each and every week that only serves to clutter up the shark pool.

The Cutler thread is a great example, and for me it is easy to discern that the latest news specific to his situation will be on the last few pages of his thread.

Just my two cents.

Faust

Just posting the word "cowabunga" so I can easily find and resurrect this thread in 2015. Carry on.

I'd rather read through one thread about Cutler than have a new thread started every week to discuss the same player.

I think that you will find that some members of these forums will agree with you, and many will disagree.

I personally would rather see one thread with material relevant to a particular player rather than a new thread being created each and every week that only serves to clutter up the shark pool.

The Cutler thread is a great example, and for me it is easy to discern that the latest news specific to his situation will be on the last few pages of his thread.

Just my two cents.

Faust
Yes. Why create another thread. Let everyone decide for themselves if they want to read through the other 29 pages.

You can't win around this place. If someone were to start a Cutler thread there would be complaints of "Why did you start a new thread when there was already one on the first page of the forum?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the structure of the forum at rotoworld -- where every player gets a new thread each year (like "Aaron Rodgers 2013 Season Outlook"). It's much easier to find information.

I'd prefer fewer rather than more threads. As mentioned, if it's an old thread just click to the end of it.

We only get space for 50 PMs, you think they want a new thread every time someone wants to say something? We'd get a forum thread limit put on us before you can say Ryan Mathews is injured.

Horrible thread. Being able to learn from the evolving general opinion of a player throughout their career is invaluable.

Great thread. Now if we start bumping up old threads in 6 months some smartass can just come back here and bump this thread to remind everyone to stop bumping old threads.

:doh:

As I write this the front page has threads that were started in Nov, 2012, May 2013, March 2012, Jan 2013, Aug 2009, March 2013, Jan 2013, Oct 2012, May 2011, July, 2012...and a bunch more, I'm tired of flipping back to look.

All of this back slapping and I told you so stuff makes trying to find relevant information quickly impossible. How does "How do you feel about Cutler now?" started in 2009 help me today. What page of the 29 pages should I start reviewing? "Cutler going foreward" is a great topic, why do opinions from 2009 need to be revisited?

I used to rely on these pages for great thinking by serious fantasy football people. It's still there, but hard to find.
Whatup, Sitch?

Great thread. Now if we start bumping up old threads in 6 months some smartass can just come back here and bump this thread to remind everyone to stop bumping old threads.

:doh:
Just the sort of responses I expected. Lots of laughs. Thanks guys.

Hello to all the oldtimers. Been around, just don't post.

People seem to be afraid to start new threads on this site, at least compared to other forums. On a lot of forums, bumping really old threads is not allowed, here it is embraced.

I prefer the structure of the forum at rotoworld -- where every player gets a new thread each year (like "Aaron Rodgers 2013 Season Outlook"). It's much easier to find information.
Yes, their structure is actually far superior. It won't be popular here, though, because everyone knows that not only do we need several threads on each player, we also need threads comparing player X to player Y for the ROS. We also need to know how many points everyone else needs from Monday Night Football. And don't forget how important it is to have several human interest stories in the shark pool at all times. These are vastly more popular than actual strategy discussions.

Yes, their structure is actually far superior. It won't be popular here, though, because everyone knows that not only do we need several threads on each player, we also need threads comparing player X to player Y for the ROS. We also need to know how many points everyone else needs from Monday Night Football. And don't forget how important it is to have several human interest stories in the shark pool at all times. These are vastly more popular than actual strategy discussions.
a good mix keeps the forum from being boring. sounds like you want a football stat nerd forum but that wouldn't be much fun.

A lot of the multi page threads usually have a peeing match going on that has nothing to do with the original idea. Unless the original idea was to argue Geno Smith amongst the elite in Brady and Manning.

New threads should be encouraged, because this forum should not be just for the select few. Want something more exclusive? Then pay for it. This forum is free. Deal with it.

I really don't have a problem with it and find some of the comments rather amusing but I do think the OP might have touched on a way of keeping the SP cleaner if there was some sort of standard formatting. If a specific player is of topic the thread began with First Name Last Name in the thread title or Giants RB if the subject was discussing the Giants RB position. I'm not sure if it would help but I recall many times when there was a new hot topic we would get 6 threads on page one discussing pretty much the same thing. I know many times the got merged but maybe this would help keep the forum a bit cleaner?

I really don't have a problem with it and find some of the comments rather amusing but I do think the OP might have touched on a way of keeping the SP cleaner if there was some sort of standard formatting. If a specific player is of topic the thread began with First Name Last Name in the thread title or Giants RB if the subject was discussing the Giants RB position. I'm not sure if it would help but I recall many times when there was a new hot topic we would get 6 threads on page one discussing pretty much the same thing. I know many times the got merged but maybe this would help keep the forum a bit cleaner?
Let's propose this to the board police so they can remove the incorrectly named threads

OP: Amen brother; but you will be labeled a heretic around these parts.

The "First Page" is the first page for a reason and everyone wants to be on it. We are in the age of information overload; I need brief and current info and I need it quickly.

I often wonder when I see a 4 year old, 50 page thread which page contains the information I am interested in today? Am I supposed to go through all 50 pages while a rival team gets their info quickly and perhaps snatches that key ww target?

OP: Amen brother; but you will be labeled a heretic around these parts.

The "First Page" is the first page for a reason and everyone wants to be on it. We are in the age of information overload; I need brief and current info and I need it quickly.

I often wonder when I see a 4 year old, 50 page thread which page contains the information I am interested in today? Am I supposed to go through all 50 pages while a rival team gets their info quickly and perhaps snatches that key ww target?
There are plenty of outlets for that on the internet.

This is still by far my favorite FF forum/message board. It has it's flaws/trolls, but so does every site. Just gotta take the the bad with the good. Put the really annoying posters on ignore and don't bother re-clicking on threads that have derailed(although some of them, like the Wilson one are pretty funny at times and made for some good entertainment). I agree that I'd like to see less new threads on the same player, but at the sametime the Rotoworld style is kind of bland/boring to me as well, I like a good mix.

Once upon a time there were actually moderators who locked old threads and duplicative ones.

Sometimes they even merged them.

True story.

I don't get the whole idea that, "If the thread is 50 pages long how do I know where to find the most recent info?" Um, every post is timestamped and they're all in chronological order. You don't need to read all 5,000 posts to figure out where the recent stuff is.

1)You obviously start with page 29.

2)Rate this thread 1/10, would not post again.

3)Someone made this complaint in 2006, you should've posted in that thread.

I understand the old ideas of the "one thread is good" but they are lacking some basics.

I will bring up 2 threads that I cant even find my way around anymore:

The Miami Scandal and The Dynasty thread. Both topics represent different reasons but the result is the same, I can't find my way around them even though I am most interested in them.

I am a transplant after the fall of my board a few years ago. I like the respect here better so Im not going anywhere and I do not want to ruffle the feathers of the long time players, but I go there to look for info I cant find here, because it is buried in big threads.

The banter between a select few can go on for multiple pages and it is a task of time.

So, If I am missing a function of the search please inform me...thanks.

Horrible thread. Being able to learn from the evolving general opinion of a player throughout their career is invaluable.
im surprised you didn't use your Rizzler alias for this gem.
You're free to request an IP check from a mod any time, guy.
Of all people talking of aliases.
Exactly why he's spouting this bull. Because I keep calling him Chachi.

I don't get the whole idea that, "If the thread is 50 pages long how do I know where to find the most recent info?" Um, every post is timestamped and they're all in chronological order. You don't need to read all 5,000 posts to figure out where the recent stuff is.
Dude, I tried to read about Josh Gordon last Thursday, started on post 367, got lost like I was in a Halloween corn maze, and only just now escaped.

And I didn't even play Gordon, because PeoplezPerspective said to sit him!

But I do kind of agree with the OP. How else am I going to find other people in similar situations with 6-5 teams who are trying to considering starting 2 of Mathews, Bell, Wright or Cook if I don't start a new shark pool thread about it?

I understand the old ideas of the "one thread is good" but they are lacking some basics.

I will bring up 2 threads that I cant even find my way around anymore:

The Miami Scandal and The Dynasty thread. Both topics represent different reasons but the result is the same, I can't find my way around them even though I am most interested in them.

I am a transplant after the fall of my board a few years ago. I like the respect here better so Im not going anywhere and I do not want to ruffle the feathers of the long time players, but I go there to look for info I cant find here, because it is buried in big threads.
What's the alternative? That we have 15 different threads about the Miami Scandal? You think that would make it easier to find information?

The banter between a select few can go on for multiple pages and it is a task of time.
That's an issue of moderation, which has noticeably dropped off recently. Starting multiple threads about the same topic won't solve that problem.

What's the alternative? That we have 15 different threads about the Miami Scandal? You think that would make it easier to find information?

That's an issue of moderation, which has noticeably dropped off recently. Starting multiple threads about the same topic won't solve that problem.
Cant we break em down some?

Is there some way to date where you want to jump in a thread or can I search for posts not threads? I seriously cant even find my own posts. (view unread posts only goes so far)

One thing that would help allot is if posters stop quoting whole conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread