What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ernie Sims LB - FSU (1 Viewer)

JaxBill

Footballguy
He's listed as 6-2 220. Does his size force him to play safety in the NFL? Or is he an undersized OLB?

If anybody can play LB in the NFL at 220lbs, it's Sims. The guy is missing the "fear factor" that 99.999999% of all humans are born with. As I'm sure you know, Sims was held out of multiple FSU practices b/c the coaches feared he would hurt his fellow teammates.

:o

If he does play LB, it'll most definately be WLB. He's simply too small for either for the Mike or Sam positions.

its not unusual (insert tom jones music) to have dicrepancies in listed ht & wt numbers... i think mayock recently said he was 5'11" 227... that is similar size to derrick brooks when he came out, & he turned out to be one of the top OLBs in NFL history... a sure HOFer...

as noted, sims is such a barbaric hitter, & since he seems to have near ideal measurables to be a WLB, i expect this to be his position at the next level... mike mayock thinks he could be a superstar at any LB position...

he compares him to brooks & vilma, has him at #2 behind only hawk in his LB rankings (ahead of greenway, ryans, howard, jackson, hodge) & says he will run in the neighborhood of a 4.4 at combine/workout...

that has really gotten my attention lately, as i respect him as a scout... he has an extremely impressive pedigree & resume, as well as athletic bloodlines...

from his florida st bio...

High School: Graduated from North Florida Christian in 2003 ...the nation's No. 1 high school prospect in 2003...earned All- America honors by Parade Magazine as the top prep linebacker in the nation...USA Today All-USA Second-Team as a linebacker...a five- star player and the No. 1 rated linebacker prospect in the country by Rivals.com...the No. 1 rated player in the Southeast and the No. 1 rated player in the state of Florida by Rivals.com...named to the top 100 in the state of Florida by the Orlando Sentinel...a member of the Super 75 team as selected by the Florida Times Union...named as the No. 1 player in the south and to the All-South Top 20 by the Tampa Tribune ...played as a running back in the annual Cali-Florida All-Star game following his senior season...earned five varsity letters at NFC as he earned varsity spot in eighth grade...led the Eagles to four state championships (1998, 99, 00, 01) during his five year career...an incredible two-way player during his high school career...totaled 133 tackles (73 solo stops), 15 tackles for lost yardage, six forced fumbles, seven fumble recoveries and one blocked field goal attempt from his linebacker position and ran for 1,081 yards on 115 carries for 23 touchdowns as a running back during his senior season...led NFC to the Class A state championship as he rushed for three touchdowns in the championship game...totaled 180 tackles, 41 tackles for loss, 12 sacks and forced seven fumbles as a linebacker and rushed for over 600 yards and 17 touchdowns as a running back during his junior season ...selected Florida State over Miami, Florida, Oklahoma, Michigan, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, Southern Cal and Oregon.

Personal: Born December 23, 1984...major is environmental studies...father, Ernie Jr., played football at Florida State for head coach Bobby Bowden in 1977, 78, 80 and 81 while his mother, the former Alice Bennett, was an All-American sprinter on the Seminole track team from 1980-83...wore jersey No. 34 which was retired in honor of former Seminole great Ron Sellers...with Sellers' permission, the number was brought out of retirement at the request of the Seminole coaching staff.

Sims just rocked a 4.50 at the combine. This is quite impressive, especially since the two darlings were disappointing (Hawk with a 4.62 and Greenway with a 4.74).

Thomas Howard just busted a 4.42. There's talk of him possibly playing SS (ala Boulware and Archuleta).

Sims just rocked a 4.50 at the combine. This is quite impressive, especially since the two darlings were disappointing (Hawk with a 4.62 and Greenway with a 4.74).

Thomas Howard just busted a 4.42. There's talk of him possibly playing SS (ala Boulware and Archuleta).
I may have misspoke...NCAA | E. Sims runs 4.46 at NFL Combine

Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:33:44 -0800

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Florida State LB Ernie Sims ran a 4.46 on the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine.

:shock:

Im getting closer and closer to ranking Sims #2 among LBs in the rookie 100. If he ends up in a cover 2, heck I might make him #1.

like you bloom, i wouldn't rank him ahead of hawk just yet...

but in my case, i would rather wait & get sims than force the issue & try to trade up for hawk... it wouldn't surprise me at all if he as good or better a rookie season & career... contingent of course on where he lands, as you noted... he has an awesome pedigree himself...

i think mayock's top 4 Lbs (in order)... hawk, sims, greenway & d'qwell jackson...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sims looked impressive at the combine. I would be surprised to see him be anything other than a LB.

Hawk, Sims, Greenway, Jackson, Ryans, Hodge and others, WOW!!! :eek: What an extremely talented LB class!

This is gonna be fun! :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread