What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN: Favre "Not Expected To Return" (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
Not a surprise to me at all if true.From KFFL:Packers | Favre not expected to returnWed, 4 Jan 2006 12:55:33 -0800John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre is not expected to return to the team in 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clayton reminds me of Herbie the Dentist from the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas special.

Can I ask a question to Packers fans? Would you have liked to have known that Favre was definitely going to retire before the season ended so that you (the Packer fans) could have given him a proper send-off - or did you all assume he was gone after last Sunday's game?

Where does it say he is going to retire? It says he is not going to return to Green Bay. He might go somewhere else. Montana did it. Unitas did it. Favre might do it, too.

While I've been one of the bigger advocates for his retirement (on this board); he will certainly be missed. It's too bad he didn't get to do a final tour to get the respect he has earned around the league, to give him multiple mini-retirement celebrations. :banned: To Brett!

Can I ask a question to Packers fans? Would you have liked to have known that Favre was definitely going to retire before the season ended so that you (the Packer fans) could have given him a proper send-off - or did you all assume he was gone after last Sunday's game?
I've been saying for the past several weeks I thought he'd retire. I just didn't see any way he was going to come back -- and it had nothing to do with Sherman's situation. It would've been nice if fans got a chance to say "goodbye" at Lambeau on Sunday, but he'll get a big day of his own at some point next year in all probability so they can do it then.

Where does it say he is going to retire? It says he is not going to return to Green Bay. He might go somewhere else. Montana did it. Unitas did it. Favre might do it, too.
Ain't gonna happen.But for clarity sake I've edited and changed the topic headline.

Can I ask a question to Packers fans?  Would you have liked to have known that Favre was definitely going to retire before the season ended so that you (the Packer fans) could have given him a proper send-off - or did you all assume he was gone after last Sunday's game?
I've been saying for the past several weeks I thought he'd retire. I just didn't see any way he was going to come back -- and it had nothing to do with Sherman's situation. It would've been nice if fans got a chance to say "goodbye" at Lambeau on Sunday, but he'll get a big day of his own at some point next year in all probability so they can do it then.
really? I was under the impression that was one of the main reasons whether or not he would return.

really? I was under the impression that was one of the main reasons whether or not he would return.
Nope. That was a misconception and one Favre later clarified. He never said he wouldn't return if Sherman was gone; what he said was he didn't want to learn a new offensive system. Huge difference -- especially since one of the apparent leading candidates (Brad Childress) is well-versed in the West Coast Offense.

Can I ask a question to Packers fans?  Would you have liked to have known that Favre was definitely going to retire before the season ended so that you (the Packer fans) could have given him a proper send-off - or did you all assume he was gone after last Sunday's game?
Nope. That was a misconception and one Favre later clarified. He never said he wouldn't return if Sherman was gone; what he said was he didn't want to learn a new offensive system. Huge difference -- especially since one of the apparent leading candidates (Brad Childress) is well-versed in the West Coast Offense.
:goodposting: Clayton probably was just giving his opinion as Dan Patrick has been on the radio. I doubt Favre has made his decision at this time. I'd like to see Favre announce he will return BUT it will be his last year. That way he doesn't have to address all the questions about retirement.

Clayton reminds me of Herbie the Dentist from the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer  Christmas special.
I always thought it was the head Elf.
not the head elf, he was on of the elves that wanted to be a dentist."Herbie doesn't like to make toys!"

the fact that the report says he will not return almost guarantees that it wont be retirement.hello jets?

Where does it say he is going to retire?  It says he is not going to return to Green Bay.  He might go somewhere else.  Montana did it.  Unitas did it.  Favre might do it, too.
the fact that the report says he will not return almost guarantees that it wont be retirement.hello jets?
:rolleyes:

Clayton reminds me of Herbie the Dentist from the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer  Christmas special.
I always thought it was the head Elf.
not the head elf, he was on of the elves that wanted to be a dentist."Herbie doesn't like to make toys!"
Yes, I always Clayton looked more like the head elf than Herbie.http://www.mccallie.org/bfaires/images/herbie3.jpg (Herbie)

http://www.finalley.com/rudypics/104255.jpg (Head Elf).

I guess you're right, although I'll go "other" with the nerdy elf:

http://www.oldtowngifts.com/images/enesco_...002_tallelf.jpg

While I've been one of the bigger advocates for his retirement (on this board); he will certainly be missed. It's too bad he didn't get to do a final tour to get the respect he has earned around the league, to give him multiple mini-retirement celebrations.

:banned: To Brett!
we really missed out on an opportunity to give Brett Favre some recognition for a change...

:rolleyes:
There's a better chance of our two avatars coming to life than there is of Favre playing anywhere other than Green Bay next season.

Favre coming back depends on 1 thing only... Ted Thompson has to tell him that they are going to get in line to play for a championship next year. If he doesn't hear that then he should walk. If Thompson comes to him and says hey we're going to sign a big OT via FA and draft a big OT and sign Ahman and Walker then Favre has no reason not to return.Also he'll never play for another team. Once the sting of this season goes away which will be soon, he'll come around and decide to give it one more go. This isn't it for Favre, mark it down.

I also don't get the impression Favre wants to retire or that he will. I also think there's almost no chance he plays for another team. I'd expect Favre to be back as long as Thompson wants him back...which I assume he does. It wouldn't hurt to have Rodgers get another year of experience, especiallly if a new coach brings in a new/tweaked offensive system.

He is way too close to the TD record to retire. There's no way he quits for at least another two years.

With all thats happen in Favre's personal life, and the fall of the Packers, and with his coach being gone. I see Favre walking away fast and far :banned:

Where does it say he is going to retire?  It says he is not going to return to Green Bay.  He might go somewhere else.  Montana did it.  Unitas did it.  Favre might do it, too.
Ain't gonna happen.But for clarity sake I've edited and changed the topic headline.
A couple months ago, I would agree with you.Considering the shape of the Packers, how terribly Favre played and the fact that Sherman is gone, I think it is now far more likely that he would don another uniform.

A couple months ago, I would agree with you.

Considering the shape of the Packers, how terribly Favre played and the fact that Sherman is gone, I think it is now far more likely that he would don another uniform.
Many problems with the assessment that Favre plays in another uniform. If Favre is released and "dons another uniform" then Ted Thompson better be looking for another job. Favre is the heart and soul of the Packers and much of Green Bay. If the team shows him the disrespect by not allowing him to go out on his own terms then heads will roll in Green Bay. I dont think Favre will play for another team because he wants his team to be successful. Favre goes to another team that is not his team.

Considering the shape of the Packers, how terribly Favre played and the fact that Sherman is gone, I think it is now far more likely that he would don another uniform.
Many problems with the assessment that Favre plays in another uniform. If Favre is released and "dons another uniform" then Ted Thompson better be looking for another job. Favre is the heart and soul of the Packers and much of Green Bay. If the team shows him the disrespect by not allowing him to go out on his own terms then heads will roll in Green Bay. I dont think Favre will play for another team because he wants his team to be successful. Favre goes to another team that is not his team.
If Joe Montana can leave the 49ers, I guarantee you Brett Favre can sure as hell leave the Packers and if I were the Packers I would be shopping him like crazy because he still has tons of value.

If Joe Montana can leave the 49ers, I guarantee you Brett Favre can sure as hell leave the Packers and if I were the Packers I would be shopping him like crazy because he still has tons of value.
Aint gonna happen. Montana had Steve Young nippin at his heals. Rodgers is no Steve Young.

You are forgetting two things...1. Favre has stated he will only play with the Packers and he will return if he has a desire to keep playing.

2. Young was waiting in the wings and Montana still wanted to keep playing.

You are forgetting two things...1. Favre has stated he will only play with the Packers and he will return if he has a desire to keep playing.

Just curious, has there ever been talk of sending him to a contender? I just feel like that would rejuvenate him enough to go for it. I'm sure all franchise guys say they want to retire with the one team they're associated with, but when push comes to shove and the Packers decide to have a total youth movement and when Favre is confronted with the possibility of going to a good team, I think alot of opinions can change.

Just curious, has there ever been talk of sending him to a contender? I just feel like that would rejuvenate him enough to go for it. I'm sure all franchise guys say they want to retire with the one team they're associated with, but when push comes to shove and the Packers decide to have a total youth movement and when Favre is confronted with the possibility of going to a good team, I think alot of opinions can change.
No because Brett Favre has made it very well known that he will not play for any other team. He will retire a Packer when the time comes.

Favre coming back depends on 1 thing only... Ted Thompson has to tell him that they are going to get in line to play for a championship next year. If he doesn't hear that then he should walk. If Thompson comes to him and says hey we're going to sign a big OT via FA and draft a big OT and sign Ahman and Walker then Favre has no reason not to return.

Also he'll never play for another team. Once the sting of this season goes away which will be soon, he'll come around and decide to give it one more go.

This isn't it for Favre, mark it down.
Yeah, because Ted Thompson can just decide to go out and get a couple Pro Bowl linemen on both sides of the ball, a secondary, a HOF running back and several more players, right? I'm so sick of this argument, like there's some quick fix out there waiting for any team that simply decides to win it all in one year.

Can we put the "Favre will play for another team" story to rest? Ain't going to happen.A) He is under contract to the PackersB) He has stated that he wants to retire as a Packer. Anybody that has followed him throughout his career knows that he isn't just blowing smoke.Next year he will either be playing for the Packers or riding his tractor.

Yeah, because Ted Thompson can just decide to go out and get a couple Pro Bowl linemen on both sides of the ball, a secondary, a HOF running back and several more players, right? I'm so sick of this argument, like there's some quick fix out there waiting for any team that simply decides to win it all in one year.

This team is 1 year out of the playoffs and had huge injuries this year. I think they are closer than some think. I am hoping Favre will stay because the alternative is not better. The Pack have a high draft pick (First in a looooong time) plenty of cash under the cap (Finally) and there are plenty of FA available.

James, SA, Green(Healthy?)

Ty Law

Terrell Owens

Owens, Favre, Walker and Driver would be fun to watch. Especially if Green returns to form, Gado is not a fake, or we sign a nice FA RB. Add TY Law to the Defense and fill some holes with the draft and we could be back in the playoffs. With Sherman gone we might even win a playoff game :)

I know I am being very optimistic but I have not really been in this situation for a long time so I expect a speedy recovery.

We do need to keep Bates.

Clayton reminds me of Herbie the Dentist from the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas special.
To me he looks like Chester the molester, but I trust his football news.

While I dont expect Favre to leave, I can see it happening now - where a couple months ago I would cite everything you have cited to suggest he wouldnt switch teams.So much is in upheaval in GB, and if Favre still wants to play football, he knows that they won't be winning much in GB for the next year or too - and without a line, or RB, it is unlikely he can do well, either. Can Favre play, but play through another year like this past year? These past two, even.

He knows this - and if the perfect situation arose, I could see the (formerly) unthinkable happen.

To me he looks like Chester the molester, but I trust his football news.
It's Hermy the Dentist.Speaking of which, I've got one helluva Yukon Cornelius beard going and only in ten days!

"Favre not expected to return" is TRAGIC news to Bears fans. We OWN that washed up has-been now.

I totally disagree that Favre is washed up. Sure, his stats have been bad. They've lost their stud RB, their stud WR, lineman and others and have been playing catchup all year with marginal playmakers. So, he's forced the ball even more than usual and ended up with a lot of picks. Big deal. He has the same awesome arm strength, can make great reads, and is one of the best leaders in the game. Still mobile in the pocket, looks the same to me as 10 years ago. He can play another 3-4 years if he wanted to. He'll probably stay with the Packers, but could you imagine what he could do if he came into a Bledsoe/Cowboy like situation? Lots of coaches would salivate to get him..

While I've been one of the bigger advocates for his retirement (on this board); he will certainly be missed.  It's too bad he didn't get to do a final tour to get the respect he has earned around the league, to give him multiple mini-retirement celebrations. 

:banned: To Brett!
we really missed out on an opportunity to give Brett Favre some recognition for a change...
:fishing:

Those who think there is no way in a million years Favre will play for another team are being blind homers. Im not saying it will happen but to outright dismiss it is assinine.

i think favre should join the eagles...this would totally fix the TO situation and without a doubt lead to a perfect season. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread