What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Evangelizing grocery store clerk: Cool or No? (1 Viewer)

would you have a problem if one of your clerks did this?

• Yes - they would be told that it's not appropriate.

Votes: 73 54.1%
  • No - fine by me.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 50 37.0%

• Total voters

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
My 11 yo son and I went to a large grocery store chain on Saturday.  As we were checking out we had some banter with the grocery store clerk.  I forget what prompted her to say this, but she tells my son, "you only need to listen to two people:  Your parents and Jesus."  My son looks at me like, "did I just catch that right?," but took my lead to just blow it off.  She continues to talk and somehow gets on the topic of Miley Cyrus where she says, "that girl has a dark heart.  She needs to let Jesus in."  Once again we ignored it, but it left me wondering if the store manager would approve of what she said.  So I ask the FFA, as a proxy for the store manager, would you be cool with her saying things like this to customers?  

If I were the owner of the grocery store I'd probably tell the clerk to not make those comments as to not offend someone who doesn't believe the same as you.  But if I were the customer, it would not be something I would even bother to report.  People's beliefs that don't fall in line with mine don't really bother me.  

If you're the store manager....it's unacceptable.

As a customer.... I don't need to hear it.....but I'm not going to complain on her for it.  I'd feel bad if I did and she got in legit trouble for something she (probably) really believes in.  Let the next person be outraged enough over her to complain.  
This is how I feel. Unacceptable, but not worth the complaint. And a nice teachable moment between you and your son. 

When you talk to random strangers you risk hearing their opinions and/or suggestions.  Doesn't make their opinion right or wrong, the person good or bad, or in some cases the timing appropriate; just makes it what it is. 

When you talk to random strangers you risk hearing their opinions and/or suggestions.  Doesn't make their opinion right or wrong, the person good or bad, or in some cases the timing appropriate; just makes it what it is. 
While I agree with you, This isn't exactly somebody random- they represent a store.

Honestly not the biggest deal, especially in the context that if we're giving benefit of doubts, the clerk was trying to relay to the kid to respect elders and the life lessons they try to impart, and to have a good upright moral code.

However, she could have said just that. When these kinds of sentiments begin to bleed into more evangelical intents -- that Jesus is the way and the only way and people should be actively seeking him and they start proselytizing -- that starts my blood boiling. 

Reason being that I think evangelical approaches are fundamentally horrible approaches. I don't care what religion others are -- it's a product of culture and choice. But to think that there should only be one and to actively try to turn others away from their beliefs or look down on others' religions as not "the way" is at best disrespectful and ignorant of the vast diversity of religion (and the shared values most of them have at their core) and at worst the basis for some of the biggest atrocities in human history done in the name of religion, and people trying to institute their religious beliefs as the only way.

Be spiritual, by all means. Practice your religion by all means, but don't force it on others. 

FTR, I ignore just about everything store clerks say.  I’m hear to shop, not to hear stories or get quizzed about my life.  Small chit chat about how my day is going is fine but otherwise just check me out and let me be on my way.

OP: Yeah, that's great, but now I've gotta go find my ball in the parking lot.

Clerk: Your ball?

OP: Yeah, I came in on a Wrecking Ball.

I wouldn't complain to the manager, but probably would tell her that trying to teach or spread her religion to captive audiences that pass through her lane isn't right, and someone will probably complain to her manager if she keeps doing it. I mean, try to throw her a bone to keep her out of trouble. If she persists, then she is asking for trouble.

We live in Alabama, this happens often enough where it doesn't phase me at all.

The clerk is offensive to teachers and the police.

I never used to use profanity in public because people once observed the right not to be openly offended,  but i generally declare a loud, snide multi-vowel "#### You" at least once during the course of my errands now. It was the absolute worst way to handle old puritans, but the bigly best way to rebuff New Puritanism. And it's a hoot, too - especially with those who exploit the fact that physical solutions to public malfeasance are no longer tolerated. 

What good word are you referring to? And why should it be spread? And who do you think should be spreading it, and to whom?
There it is right there, getting all excited over nothing really.  If somebody wants to play some praise the Lord, Jesus loves you....no big deal at all. 

Yep, ho hum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't complain to the manager, but probably would tell her that trying to teach or spread her religion to captive audiences that pass through her lane isn't right, and someone will probably complain to her manager if she keeps doing it. I mean, try to throw her a bone to keep her out of trouble. If she persists, then she is asking for trouble.
I have much less problem with her spreading religion than with her trying to teach my kid something. you're a math-challenged cashier at a grocery store... let's leave parenting lessons for my kid to me, TIA.

My 11 yo son and I went to a large grocery store chain on Saturday.  As we were checking out we had some banter with the grocery store clerk.  I forget what prompted her to say this, but she tells my son, "you only need to listen to two people:  Your parents and Jesus."  My son looks at me like, "did I just catch that right?," but took my lead to just blow it off.  She continues to talk and somehow gets on the topic of Miley Cyrus where she says, "that girl has a dark heart.  She needs to let Jesus in."  Once again we ignored it, but it left me wondering if the store manager would approve of what she said.  So I ask the FFA, as a proxy for the store manager, would you be cool with her saying things like this to customers?  
Seems like the clerk doesn't understand boundaries. I find it's common/unsurprising when people lack self-awareness. Smile & move on.

I have much less problem with her spreading religion than with her trying to teach my kid something. you're a math-challenged cashier at a grocery store... let's leave parenting lessons for my kid to me, TIA.
You give them $21 when your Chick Fil A is $10.75 just to watch the reaction, right?

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
There it is right there, getting all excited over nothing really.  If somebody wants to play some praise the Lord, Jesus loves you....no big deal at all. 

Yep, ho hum.
Huh? 

These are honest questions, frankly stated. No one is excited over anything, I think you are reading into things.

I'm simply trying to understand a mindset that is not my own a little better. 

Huh? 

These are honest questions, frankly stated. No one is excited over anything, I think you are reading into things.

I'm simply trying to understand a mindset that is not my own a little better. 
Every single day look at what we come in contact with in our lives?

There ya stand in some line, the lady in front of you had TONS of time to find her papers.stuff, but....it's when it's her turn she starts trying to find fer stuff.

Bad drivers.

Kids thinking everyone really want to hear.......WE LOVE LOUD STUPID MUSIC.

And it goes on and on,  I expect things not  about me once I walk out that door.

Little nothing stuff like what some clerk says  wouldn't even register.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every single day look at what we come in contact with in out lives?

There ya stand in some line, the lady in front of you had TONS of time to find her papers.stuff, but....it's when it's her turn she starts trying to find fer stuff.

Bad drivers.

And it goes on and on,  I expect things not worried about me once I walk out that door.

Huh?

Every single day look at what we come in contact with in our lives?

Bad drivers.

And it goes on and on,  I expect things not  about me once I walk out that door.

I'm unfortunately not following you.

Your original point seemed to be that you were bummed people weren't spreading the good word more. I was asking questions to clarify what you meant by that.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here or how it relates to my questions. 

Users who are viewing this thread