What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Exactly How Bad Will the Midterms be for the Democrats? (1 Viewer)

I am going to say I'm not sure they are more in touch..They THINK they are....but they operate on whatever they can fit in a meme. That's all. They will share or like some post about the horrors in Iran when it comes to women, then go about there day and literally not do another single thing about it. And BOOM!!they now feel they are part of the solution.
Remember the utterly stupid and ridiculous thing where people posted a black page on their IG or Twitter as support for BLM(Or whatever it was) talk about the dumbest thing ever..But the Gen Z'ers really and truly believe this helped something somehow...that they did thair part. Give me a break.
The sort of behavior you're describing only resides in humans aged 10-26.

I am going to say I'm not sure they are more in touch..They THINK they are....but they operate on whatever they can fit in a meme. That's all. They will share or like some post about the horrors in Iran when it comes to women, then go about there day and literally not do another single thing about it. And BOOM!!they now feel they are part of the solution.
Remember the utterly stupid and ridiculous thing where people posted a black page on their IG or Twitter as support for BLM(Or whatever it was) talk about the dumbest thing ever..But the Gen Z'ers really and truly believe this helped something somehow...that they did thair part. Give me a break.
The sort of behavior you're describing only resides in humans aged 10-26.
Sound about right...I'd go 14-26...but same point

It sounds like you don't actually know any Gen Z's and you've just bought into what you've been told they are like. I am surrounded by them daily.
Who are you addressing this too? If me I covered this in my first post. Daily for me as well. Also been managing/working with that age range for 20+ years.

It sounds like you don't actually know any Gen Z's and you've just bought into what you've been told they are like. I am surrounded by them daily.
Who are you addressing this too? If me I covered this in my first post. Daily for me as well. Also been managing/working with that age range for 20+ years.
The ignorant post above his that started this dialogue in the first place. You can correct me if my assumption is wrong, but I suspect your experiences are with (relatively?) unskilled labor. In which case your perspective absolutely makes sense with this generation. Talents within it don't appear to gravitate towards that sort of work. It's not valuable to them (an important characteristic with Gen Z) and one can't make a good living in this new world in that line of work. Our elders bear 100% of the blame for the latter and I'm disappointed in their parents for not instilling values and recommendations making the former a priority.

Cause we intend to strongly encourage and borderline force our kids into some sort of service industry. That experience has greatly benefited my wife and I to get to where we are today. Dealing with the public now is quite a bit different than when we were teenagers and 20somethings, but I think those avoiding the industry are making mistakes future them will regret. I get it - it's toxic. Saying **** you with a smile on your face is not something that can be taught though. It must be learned by experience. And in that industry now-a-days there are a lot of opportunities in which you must do just that. Cause those elders that created this dysfunctional environment? That's who they're serving. And they're mostly terrible human beings.

The ignorant post above his that started this dialogue in the first place. You can correct me if my assumption is wrong, but I suspect your experiences are with (relatively?) unskilled labor. In which case your perspective absolutely makes sense with this generation. Talents within it don't appear to gravitate towards that sort of work. It's not valuable to them (an important characteristic with Gen Z) and one can't make a good living in this new world in that line of work. Our elders bear 100% of the blame for the latter and I'm disappointed in their parents for not instilling values and recommendations making the former a priority.

Cause we intend to strongly encourage and borderline force our kids into some sort of service industry. That experience has greatly benefited my wife and I to get to where we are today. Dealing with the public now is quite a bit different than when we were teenagers and 20somethings, but I think those avoiding the industry are making mistakes future them will regret. I get it - it's toxic. Saying **** you with a smile on your face is not something that can be taught though. It must be learned by experience. And in that industry now-a-days there are a lot of opportunities in which you must do just that. Cause those elders that created this dysfunctional environment? That's who they're serving. And they're mostly terrible human beings.
Good post and I could not agree more with your second paragraph. Along with the skills you mentioned that are important you also learn how to multitask under pressure, the value of working with speed, the power of teamwork, being organized as a skill and then maybe most important of all, hard work and hustle pays off.

With that said I’ll give you one guess the industry I’m in which has formed the basis of my opinion.

With that said I’ll give you one guess the industry I’m in which has formed the basis of my opinion.
It's why I respect your opinion. It's consistent with discussions I've had with those that are managers in similar industries. We're not aligned on assessments of the problem though. Our elders are responsible for creating this environment, unfortunately it's on us to fix it, and those fixes will take longer than both your and I's working lifetimes. We need to collectively adapt to what that generation is amidst this environment and change our go-forward priorities, so the next generation doesn't emerge with similar flaws as the last two batches (myself included). I have no confidence there are enough of us that have the patience to see that through though.

It's why I respect your opinion. It's consistent with discussions I've had with those that are managers in similar industries. We're not aligned on assessments of the problem though. Our elders are responsible for creating this environment, unfortunately it's on us to fix it, and those fixes will take longer than both your and I's working lifetimes. We need to collectively adapt to what that generation is amidst this environment and change our go-forward priorities, so the next generation doesn't emerge with similar flaws as the last two batches (myself included). I have no confidence there are enough of us that have the patience to see that through though.
Thanks. I absolutely respect your opinions as well and I’ve always enjoyed our interactions.

While I agree with you the root cause is my generation and how we (the generation not myself personally) raised our kids, I suspect we disagree after that.

And I also don’t agree that we necessarily need to adapt to them, because the lessons that I mentioned in my post above that are being missed out on by this generation I believe to be foundational for our society. This generation can’t just decide to skip over things because that are hard and do only the things they want. That’s just unfortunately not the way the world will ever work. We have to embrace the hard, it’s called growing pains for a reason. That’s strife and struggle hardens us as human beings towards the challenges of the life ahead of us. The world is hard and unforgiving. The reason I am so concerned is not because it affects my day in and day out life of hiring people. I’m concerned that the skill sets this generation doesn’t have are foundational needs required for strife. They weren’t taught it and they haven’t earned it via their actions. They fold constantly under the pressure of “I don’t wanna do this”.

While I appreciate what you and your wife are doing with your kids, I truly do that’s fantastic parenting in my opinion, you’re also doing with what you described above exactly what put this generation in the position they are in, lacking foundational skill sets. By making excuses for and enabling their short comings, with the world needed to adjust to them. It’s whats created this mess in the first place.

* And yes please forgive any errors as I’m voice texting in traffic again. Lol

This generation can’t just decide to skip over things because that are hard and do only the things they want.
If our environment is ever going to change some generation kinda has to do something to rock the system like this. The only world I know is one in which wages are stagnant and costs rising. That's what we're going to have until someone says 'enough!' And they absolutely have the leverage to do it too. Birth rates have cratered, one side of the aisle's actions prevent the flow of help from outside of the country, we've made it exceptionally difficult to achieve the 'american dream' (married with kids and home ownership), and we're a society reliant on service & technology - the latter of which this generation has more developmental potential than the rest of us. I'm not happy about any of this, but - adapt or die.

This generation can’t just decide to skip over things because that are hard and do only the things they want.
If our environment is ever going to change some generation kinda has to do something to rock the system like this. The only world I know is one in which wages are stagnant and costs rising. That's what we're going to have until someone says 'enough!' And they absolutely have the leverage to do it too. Birth rates have cratered, one side of the aisle's actions prevent the flow of help from outside of the country, we've made it exceptionally difficult to achieve the 'american dream' (married with kids and home ownership), and we're a society reliant on service & technology - the latter of which this generation has more developmental potential than the rest of us. I'm not happy about any of this, but - adapt or die.
I guess fundamentally where we differ is in that you are seeing it as a binary option where I’m not. I’m all about every generation evolving and improving up on the next, adapting the environment. No doubt about it. It’s what humans have done since the dawn of time. But a fundamental core aspect of that is hard work and sacrifice, I don’t believe we can move our society forward without them. certainly not with ”I’m not gonna do what I don’t wanna do” or “that’s hard so I don’t wanna do it “. That’s just not the way the world will ever functions. And again in doing so it jumps over vital steps through the growth process that are needed later.

This generation should no doubt leverage their skill sets to move our society forward. But you don’t do that by leaning into your weakness.

I guess fundamentally where we differ is in that you are seeing it as a binary option where I’m not. I’m all about every generation evolving and improving up on the next, adapting the environment. No doubt about it. It’s what humans have done since the dawn of time. But a fundamental core aspect of that is hard work and sacrifice, I don’t believe we can move our society forward without them. certainly not with ”I’m not gonna do what I don’t wanna do” or “that’s hard so I don’t wanna do it “. That’s just not the way the world will ever functions. And again in doing so it jumps over vital steps through the growth process that are needed later.

This generation should no doubt leverage their skill sets to move our society forward. But you don’t do that by leaning into your weakness.
I think it's much more that I'm applying more consideration to their lens. The only world they know is one in which the man ****s us all in the ***. They're effectively taking a stand saying no you're not going to do that unless you have the ******** courtesy to give me a reach around.

Now, are they going to hold their ground? I doubt it. This is said with some hyperbole, but they're effectively up against an oligarchy. Good luck winning that battle. An economic reset is necessary though. Their actions are putting this eventually favoring the 90some% in the range of potential outcomes. I don't think that will be the outcome after the economy inevitably tanks, but if they successfully reef the main? Maybe we'll see a different world on the other side. Gonna get worse before it gets better regardless though. Buckle up.

think it's much more that I'm applying more consideration to their lens. The only world they know is one in which the man ****s us all in the ***. They're effectively taking a stand saying no you're not going to do that unless you have the ******** courtesy to give me a reach around.
I wish I could share your views that the motivation was truly that altruistic. But it’s not imo. It’s selfishness and entitlement that is driving that mindset. They don’t have the social currency or true experience to say the “man ****s us all in the ***”. They’ve only read someone say that via a meme on TikTok after they quit their 4th job that year because their boss had the audacity to expect them to come to work on time. They are hijacking the previous generations struggle and calling it their own, thats empty and forfeit imo.*

*and yes I guess at 46 I’ve officially reached old man status. Now turn down that music and get off my lawn!!!

think it's much more that I'm applying more consideration to their lens. The only world they know is one in which the man ****s us all in the ***. They're effectively taking a stand saying no you're not going to do that unless you have the ******** courtesy to give me a reach around.
I wish I could share your views that the motivation was truly that altruistic. But it’s not imo. It’s selfishness and entitlement that is driving that mindset. They don’t have the social currency or true experience to say the “man ****s us all in the ***”. They’ve only read someone say that via a meme on TikTok after they quit their 4th job that year because their boss had the audacity to expect them to come to work on time. They are hijacking the previous generations struggle and calling it their own, thats empty and forfeit imo.*

*and yes I guess at 46 I’ve officially reached old man status. Now turn down that music and get off my lawn!!!
I work at a place with literally hundreds of these humans floating around. Our primary purpose is to develop them and put them in position to be successful and in order to do that we need to know how they think. The perspective I'm sharing is driven by data and not necessarily my own anecdotal view (meme's are for old people btw). Statistically, one of the most common themes is adding value with this crop of young people. They want to add it and when they're not it inversely impacts their output. And in this market they can make their demands and go somewhere else if they're not met. Is it selfish? Of course. Is it entitled? If it makes you feel better to say so then I won't argue. It's our reality though. And it isn't changing anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread