What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Expect the same results from Cobb as Ogletree this week? (1 Viewer)

meyerj31

Footballguy
From a question posed to a Packers beat writer:

===

In your 10 things article you mention making San Francisco play dime. What does achieving this require other than running the passing game effectively?

You make a defense play dime by spreading your formation and loading it with receivers. Four-wide will do it when you have receivers the quality of the Packers’. When you’re playing against a team with an athletic tight end such as Jermichael Finley, and a wide receiver corps that includes several big-play weapons, you better plan on playing a lot of dime. That leaves five to rush the passer against five offensive linemen and a running back, and I like those pass-protection odds. I also like the odds that say it’s more likely the Packers’ fourth receiver is better than the defense’s fourth cornerback. It’s how the Packers beat the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV. They spread ’em out and overmatched the nickel and dime backs.

===

This does make a lot of sense to me. Could Cobb be a great starter this week in PPR? :o

Isn't this EXACTLY what the Cowboys did against the Giants?

Last edited by a moderator:
No. SF's DB's aren't high school backup DB's
Not talking about their top 4 even. But the 5th/6th CB in the dime package are going to be able to stick with Cobb? With the great pass rush Rodgers might not have as much time for plays to develop, so there could be a lot of quick hits to Cobb. Maybe I'm getting too fancy here but I'm thinking about starting him as a WR3 this week.

If this was the case, wouldn't we have seen it all last year? Its not like the scenario you are describing is any different from how Green Bay plays regularly.

Yeah maybe Cobb expands his role, but teams putting their top corners on Jennings and Nelson did not stop either from getting 1k receiving last year, I don't see how Ogletree's big game has anything to do with it

If this was the case, wouldn't we have seen it all last year? Its not like the scenario you are describing is any different from how Green Bay plays regularly. Yeah maybe Cobb expands his role, but teams putting their top corners on Jennings and Nelson did not stop either from getting 1k receiving last year, I don't see how Ogletree's big game has anything to do with it
I'm not advocating starting Cobb over Nelson or Jennings ... that would be getting a little too fancy. I'm advocating starting Cobb over WR3s this week, like Stevie Johnson, Crabtree, Holmes, Blackmon, etc.

===

In your 10 things article you mention making San Francisco play dime. What does achieving this require other than running the passing game effectively?

You make a defense play dime by spreading your formation and loading it with receivers. Four-wide will do it when you have receivers the quality of the Packers’. When you’re playing against a team with an athletic tight end such as Jermichael Finley, and a wide receiver corps that includes several big-play weapons, you better plan on playing a lot of dime. That leaves five to rush the passer against five offensive linemen and a running back, and I like those pass-protection odds. I also like the odds that say it’s more likely the Packers’ fourth receiver is better than the defense’s fourth cornerback. It’s how the Packers beat the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV. They spread ’em out and overmatched the nickel and dime backs.

===

This does make a lot of sense to me. Could Cobb be a great starter this week in PPR? :o

yeah, except that SF 's D is 10x better than NY's. And their DBs are abot 20x better. ut other than that it's the EXACT same thing.

===

===

I don't get this. They're going to use 6 DB's to cover 3 WR's and a TE? I doubt that. Also I highly doubt they'll be in dime much if Benson is the RB.

SF also has one of the best safety duos in the league with Whitner and Goldson. Whitner makes people pay when they come over the middle (just rewatch his hit on PT in the playoffs) and Goldson could probably start at corner for several teams. The last thing GB wants to do is become one dimensional and let guys tee off. Granted, Rodgers is good enough to pull this off, but against an elite defense returning 11 starters, its a very dangerous gamble.

Barring injury, I doubt Cobb is nothing more than a bye week filler this year. His value will come next year when Jennings walks.

Barring injury, I doubt Cobb is nothing more than a bye week filler this year. His value will come next year when Jennings walks.
this. I have no plans to rely on Cobb to help my team win this year - hopefully Jennings walks and I can get some use out of him starting next year.

I am a big fan of Randall Cobb. I saw him in SEC action. He only played 2 years at Kentucky (some at QB!) His 1st real time at WR: 84 rec / 1017 yards / 7 TD as a Sophomore.

I traded for Cobb prior to draft this year for the expectation that he would become WR3 in GB. Nelson & Jennings are both clear WR1A & WR1B options. No questions. Any injury and Cobb moves up into a lead role. D Driver is still a decent depth WR but not an every week/play option in GB.

Benson will open some lanes for GB WR to have some success, but I don't know if Cobb will exploit it to the Ogletree level this week. NYG had too many DB injuries and no depth to cover anybody.

In my 12 Team PPR league, 2 RB/3WR/1TE/2Flex, you could use/need 5 WR. Cobb is a viable option. I am considering him but I feel I have better options this week.

Starting:

RB: D Murray/J Charles/ P Hillis (yeah both of the KC RB's)

WR: Garcon/AJ Green/ S Rice/ B Lloyd

On Bench: B Tate/A Morris/ R Cobb/ A Jeffery

(and M LeShoure on suspension)

I am a big fan of Randall Cobb. I saw him in SEC action. He only played 2 years at Kentucky (some at QB!) His 1st real time at WR: 84 rec / 1017 yards / 7 TD as a Sophomore.

I traded for Cobb prior to draft this year for the expectation that he would become WR3 in GB. Nelson & Jennings are both clear WR1A & WR1B options. No questions. Any injury and Cobb moves up into a lead role. D Driver is still a decent depth WR but not an every week/play option in GB.

BensonGREEN will open some lanes for GB WR to have some success, but I don't know if Cobb will exploit it to the Ogletree level this week. NYG had too many DB injuries and no depth to cover anybody.

In my 12 Team PPR league, 2 RB/3WR/1TE/2Flex, you could use/need 5 WR. Cobb is a viable option. I am considering him but I feel I have better options this week.

Starting:

Cobb won't even sniff numbers like that. OTree was targeted 11 times Wed, with all the other premier options available to Rodgers he'll be lucky to get 4 targets and he probably won't be in on goal line sets or even red zone.

JMO, but starting him will at best get you 5 point and thats in a ppr.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the Packers go 4 wr sets the biggest problem isn't SF corners. SF has a front 4 that will pressure Rogers all day ,and without extra blockers the 2 Smiths are going to eat Rogers for Lunch. i see more 3 wideout sets to keep Rogers safe. Cobb may escape for a long TD but his targets and overall dependability will be riskier than most other wr 3's especially since He is still fighting with Driver for reps.

'Birdie048 said:

Benson will open some lanes for GB WR to have some success, but I don't know if Cobb will exploit it to the Ogletree level this week. NYG had too many DB injuries and no depth to cover anybody.

Starting:

Thanks for the update on your lineup.Back to the topic at hand:

Honestly don't even understand the OP. Are you literally expecting Cobb to put up the same stats as Ogletree this week?

'Beerguzzler said:
no reason to bar injury for jennings. he's had as many concussions as austin collie, and that's why cobb is gonna be such a value this year.

If Tree hadn't gone off, would this even be a thread? Everyone is looking for the 'next' ________ but that's not really how things work. They are independent variables.

Nice call on this. I think that the coverage played a role in Cobb's involvement yesterday, but I also think that the Packers have made a decision to ensure he's going to be more heavily involved this season.

this guy is looking really good. so is he a must start now in start 3 wr leagues that also gives pts for return yardage? i am starting to think so... :unsure:

Nice call on this. I think that the coverage played a role in Cobb's involvement yesterday, but I also think that the Packers have made a decision to ensure he's going to be more heavily involved this season.
Cobb outscored Jennings and Nelson in PPR. I had a feeling... I wish more "expert" analysts would come up with stuff like this every week instead of moving every top 20 WR up or down two spots with a good or bad match-up.I'm not playing him most weeks but the next time they play the Giants, and perhaps the Bears this week, I'm going to find a way to get him in my line-ups.

Users who are viewing this thread