What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Experts rankings are LIVE (1 Viewer)

I think Clinton Portis is WAY too high. On the Skins, I see lots of yardage but a big dip in TDs. Wimer is apparently the only expert that agrees. I have him closer to RB12 myself.
:confused: :wacko: Where do you see this big dip in TDs coming from?
RB Clinton Portis:Joe Gibbs is a “team” coach. He plays to win, and he uses all the available weapons at his disposal to that end. He has also, historically, used a multi-faceted rushing attack when he has had appropriate personnel available to do so. Go Here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/wasindex.htm to check out his 1990-1992 Redskin teams to see what I mean. In a nutshell, Gibb’s teams “feature” one back, but employ 2-3 other auxiliary backs in certain situations. Ernest Byner topped out at 1219 yards rushing/6 TD’s with 31/279/1 receiving back in 1990 under Gibbs. Gerald Riggs had 123/475/6 rushing that year, and Kelvin Bryant caught 26/248/1 out of the backfield.Clinton Portis is a special talent, but he is not bigger than the Redskins’ team. Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright and Trung Canidate (some combination thereof) will get touches and TD’s in Gibb’s system, limiting Portis’ fantasy upside in 2004. The analogy between Gibb’s 2004 stable and his early ‘90’s stable is clear and unmistakable.
I just have a hard time believing that the Redskins traded away an elite CB like Champ Bailey so they could continue to have a RBBC.

It's interesting to go back and look at last year's rankings...2003 rankings
For some reason, those rankings show the incorrect contributors. For example, I'm not listed by certainly was one of the rankers last year and many of the new additions are listed yet weren't contributors last year. Clayton, any idea why this is happening with last year's projections?

I was a little suprised at how low David Boston came in. Here's a guy that was very productive last year on a per game basis. Granted, he disappeared at times, but no more then the other guys that ended up 10-20 in the end of year rankings. He's young, going to a team dying for a big-time WR. However, he's behind Chris Chambers despite the fact that he is as fast as Chambers, bigger then Chambers...Its just interesting to me.Colin

Hey Wimer can you start another thread explaining why you ranked these players where you did? (j/k) Kudos to you for going out on a limb. It has certainly made for some interesting discussion. :thumbup:

Trufant (3)Archuleta (26)Peppers (30)Urlacher (34)

For some reason, those rankings show the incorrect contributors. For example, I'm not listed by certainly was one of the rankers last year and many of the new additions are listed yet weren't contributors last year. Clayton, any idea why this is happening with last year's projections?
Nope.

Nope.
Check the image files you're using for the contributer's names. Apparently you've switched up between this year and last.For example, Colin's name is http://apps.footballguys.com/k.GIF while I would guess that last year, that image showed someone else's name. ;)

Nope.
Check the image files you're using for the contributer's names. Apparently you've switched up between this year and last.For example, Colin's name is http://apps.footballguys.com/k.GIF while I would guess that last year, that image showed someone else's name. ;)
I mean of course I know why. It's just like Athletic Supporter said.

I see the staff are unanimous in thinking A.J. Feeley will be the starting QB for Miami.
Not me.I did not rank either QB b/c I am genuinely unsure at this point who will be the starter.Keep in mind a couple things - these rankings were JUST released, and are a "first draft" at an early part of the season - with very little analytical time from the draft plus the FA moves immediately afterwards. Until Monday evening, I had Collins in the rankings instead of Manning since the Giants' sitch was still a question mark. With training camps a couple months away yet, take all these rankings (well, at least mine) with a grain of salt.On Portis, my first defense for keeping him highly ranked at this point is that I believe the skins O-line is vastly underrated heading into 2004 - ditch Spurrier, instant upgrade to what the O-line is expected to do, insert Gibbs, another tick upwards. Also, the Giants's rush D and the FA depleted Eagles' D are probably on par with KC's and Oakland's defenses against the run (each team's pass D is significantly better, IMO). Only Dallas sports a defense that Portis will have problems running against in the division. And, he's going from a 10 win team schedule to a 5 win team schedule. Finally, I see Portis getting the 48-60 catches he should have been receiving in Denver, while not being run into the ground 25+ times a game as Shannie liked to do (he was averaging 22+ carries per game when he got injured in 2003). I think Portis will be accomodated with his desire to be run 18/19 times a game (so he can stay fresh, is his argument), and that he will have more responsibilities catching the ball in Washington. I give Portis, right now, 305 carries and 50 catches, 1900+ total yards, and 12+ TDs. With a higher ceiling than the other backs, he ended up my #5.

I was a little suprised at how low David Boston came in. Here's a guy that was very productive last year on a per game basis. Granted, he disappeared at times, but no more then the other guys that ended up 10-20 in the end of year rankings. He's young, going to a team dying for a big-time WR. However, he's behind Chris Chambers despite the fact that he is as fast as Chambers, bigger then Chambers...Its just interesting to me.Colin
For me, I factored in WR-switching-teams-itis - and not to a pass friendly system.

I would say that the one player I see noticably undervalued is Kevin Johnson. I'm the only one who ranks him in the top 40 for WRs.
While I could see Kevin Johnson sneaking into the top forty, I am not confident enough to put him there. Here are my Ravens' projectionsPassing yards ... 3034 yardsOption 1TE Todd Heap 71 receptions for 780 receiving yards and 6 touchdownsOption 2a and 2bWR Travis Taylor 49 receptions for 760 receiving yards and 4 touchdownsWR Kevin Johnson 48 receptions for 620 receiving yards and 4 touchdownsWR Devard Darling ® 24 receptions for 350 receiving yards and 1 touchdownI just don't see a really good option coming out of the receiving core this season. Darling may be that guy by next year or 2006.

I think Clinton Portis is WAY too high. On the Skins, I see lots of yardage but a big dip in TDs. Wimer is apparently the only expert that agrees. I have him closer to RB12 myself.
RB Clinton Portis:Joe Gibbs is a “team” coach. He plays to win, and he uses all the available weapons at his disposal to that end. He has also, historically, used a multi-faceted rushing attack when he has had appropriate personnel available to do so. Go Here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/wasindex.htm to check out his 1990-1992 Redskin teams to see what I mean. In a nutshell, Gibb’s teams “feature” one back, but employ 2-3 other auxiliary backs in certain situations. Ernest Byner topped out at 1219 yards rushing/6 TD’s with 31/279/1 receiving back in 1990 under Gibbs. Gerald Riggs had 123/475/6 rushing that year, and Kelvin Bryant caught 26/248/1 out of the backfield.Clinton Portis is a special talent, but he is not bigger than the Redskins’ team. Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright and Trung Canidate (some combination thereof) will get touches and TD’s in Gibb’s system, limiting Portis’ fantasy upside in 2004. The analogy between Gibb’s 2004 stable and his early ‘90’s stable is clear and unmistakable.
I think Portis is FAR more talented than Byner ever was...and Gerald Riggs and Kelvin Bryant were FAR better than Trung, Rock, Ladell, and Alvin and Simon and the rest of the chipmunks. Why won't Portis score TDs like John Riggins did in his Gibbs era, 1981-1984, when he scored 54 TDs in 52 games?

:rant: Nobody had the KAHUNAS to rank Thomas Jones higher than 19???
That's cause we all follow fantasy football fanatically. :lol: JK, of course - I believe you are on a limb by yourself ranking Jones "way more" than #20 - and you are definitely on your own ranking him in the top-10 (above who? Edge, Ricky, FredT??)Seriously though, my low ranking is still at least partly due to the fact that A-train is an unknown x-Factor in the carries department. Once training camps break and I have some idea how A-train will be used, I imagine TJones will jump up at least ten spots in my rankings (to #21).

His "low ranking" still makes him a viable RB2. In fact off of his current spot on the rankings (which is tempered by not knowing how much work A-Train will get), he'd be one of the top RB3/flex candidates out there and would likely go no later then the early part of the 4th round. At this point, that sounds about right to me for a guy with Physical ability and a new situation but questionable historical production.Colin

That's cause we all follow fantasy football fanatically. :lol: JK, of course - I believe you are on a limb by yourself ranking Jones "way more" than #20 - and you are definitely on your own ranking him in the top-10 (above who? Edge, Ricky, FredT??)Seriously though, my low ranking is still at least partly due to the fact that A-train is an unknown x-Factor in the carries department. Once training camps break and I have some idea how A-train will be used, I imagine TJones will jump up at least ten spots in my rankings (to #21).

His "low ranking" still makes him a viable RB2. In fact off of his current spot on the rankings (which is tempered by not knowing how much work A-Train will get), he'd be one of the top RB3/flex candidates out there and would likely go no later then the early part of the 4th round. At this point, that sounds about right to me for a guy with Physical ability and a new situation but questionable historical production.Colin
I suppose you'll get to see how he does out of that flex spot this year, eh Herd? ;)

I dont know about you, but i would hate to have to start Curtis Martin every week. I would rather take a chance on a guy like Chris Brown or Kevin Jones.
Not to radically disagree here, but the only thing keeping CuMar from top RB2 range in 2003 was the TDs - you can't beat a week-in/week-out 100 total yards, never misses a game, back as your RB2 in performance leagues.I agree on Chris Brown or Kevin Jones as equivelant - or better - "upside" but they are far from guaranteed feature roles at this point while CuMar is the clear #1 in NY.For May rankings, I think he is where he should be on most lists in relation to the other guys you have listed.This will obviously all be altered once Eddie George's fate is sealed, and once we know for sure that Kevin Jones is not holding out - Martin's position is fairly certain, these guys are huge question marks right now.

Am I the only person who thinks Tyrone Wheatley might be a decent option at RB3-4 this year? Did anybody rank him?

Wow! Corey Dillon is ranked 16?Have there ever been sixteen RB's that rack up 1400 yards and 12 TD's in the same season before?

Marshall Faulk jumps out as being very overrated.
With an average ranking of 12.82, he is most people's most sought after RB2 - I don't see how you can disagree with that. In standard performance systems he was the #5 RB over the last 9 weeks of 2003, plus he averaged over 20 points a game during that stretch and nearly 17 on the year (good enough for a per game ranking of #9 on the year). While I may not be psyched to make him my RB1, if I added him as my RB2 and handcuffed Jackson and/or Gordon to him later, I'd have a likely 17+ points per game scorer from my RB2 spot. That's MY rationale for ranking Faulk so far ahead of Barlow - who is receiving a high ranking based on a lot of specualtion regarding his potential as the feature back.And, speaking of injury history, don't get me (or switz) started on Barlow's history of injuries - and lack of effort in rehab - over his career. Oh, and from my perspective, the SF offense is in shambles, and 8 in the box will be a reality for most of the early part of the year for Barlow - 8 in the box was not an issue when Terrel Owens and Jeff Garcia were on the field, but it's an issue with Rattay to Lloyd.Barlow being ranked less than 1 spot away (average 13.29) from a RB who can regularly score 20 point per game is a testament to how much the "experts" believe in Barlow, actually.

Did nobody take into account the fact that this is a completely new Bears team, with Terry Shea installing a brand new offense (think Faulk, Holmes), and not to mention that they have put together what could be one of the better offensive lines in the NFL next season?? (Tait, Brown, etc.).The guy has tons of physical ability, Shea and Smith love him, and he is in the best system a fantasy back can find. I can overlook the choo-choo for all of that.If Jones runs with any confidence at all, which he did in TB once he got the starting job in TB last year, he can be an absolute monster.You heard it here first gals! :cool:

Wow! Corey Dillon is ranked 16?Have there ever been sixteen RB's that rack up 1400 yards and 12 TD's in the same season before?
Not sure, but why'd you throw those numbers out?Never mind, just saw your alias name. ;)

I think Barlow is a much safer pick than an over the hill Faulk. Faulk hasn't rushed for over 1,000 in either of the past two seasons. His skills are declining and Steven Jackson may cut into his production. Barlow, on the other hand, is a productive young player who should get anywhere from 275-330 carries next season. Here's a post I made a few weeks ago.

What more does Barlow have to do to be proven? He just rushed for over 1,000 yards at 5.1 yards a pop. Here's what he did as a full time starter:vs. Arizona: 18 carries, 154 yards, 1 TDvs. Cincinnatti: 18 carries, 85 yards, 2 TD'svs. Philadelphia: 30 carries, 154 yards, 1 TDvs. Seattle: 14 carries, 40 yardsProject those totals out over a season and you get 320 carries for 1,732 yards and 16 rushing TD's. That's not to mention his solid receiving statistics.I'll admit that he probably won't be quite so productive over the course of a full season, but certainly 1,400 yards seems like a reasonable possibility considering his track record and that he appears to be the unquestioned go to guy in the running game.I really don't see why people are afraid of Barlow. He's a good player who will produce when given carries. I consider him a #1 fantasy RB assuming San Francisco doesn't draft someone good to steal his touches.
I can see why people would be down on the Niners. Their offense is young and inexperienced. Nevertheless, I think Barlow has a good chance of putting up a season similar to the one Jamal Lewis had in 2002 with the potential do do even better. I'd much rather take a chance on a young workhorse who has always been productive than I would a fading star whose days are numbered, but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did nobody take into account the fact that this is a completely new Bears team, with Terry Shea installing a brand new offense (think Faulk, Holmes), and not to mention that they have put together what could be one of the better offensive lines in the NFL next season?? (Tait, Brown, etc.).The guy has tons of physical ability, Shea and Smith love him, and he is in the best system a fantasy back can find. I can overlook the choo-choo for all of that.If Jones runs with any confidence at all, which he did in TB once he got the starting job in TB last year, he can be an absolute monster.You heard it here first gals! :cool:
Hi Otis,I think you make some great points. And I'm a true believer in that angle of focusing on "what's different this year?".What I think Marc's saying (as well as the rest of the guys) is that it's still pretty early to call that position settled yet. That's what makes these early rankings tough. We'll see though. Good points.J

Did nobody take into account the fact that this is a completely new Bears team, with Terry Shea installing a brand new offense (think Faulk, Holmes), and not to mention that they have put together what could be one of the better offensive lines in the NFL next season?? (Tait, Brown, etc.).The guy has tons of physical ability, Shea and Smith love him, and he is in the best system a fantasy back can find.
"best system for a fantasy back" belongs to Denver...OLs take time to gel...and if they are "installing a brand new offnese" how do you know what it will do for the fantasy #s of the players?

I think Colin summed it up best - Jones is probably appropriately ranked at this point in the year with a feature back already on the roster and talent, possibly decent scheme, but a history of underwhelming production.You may have said it first, but, like you said, you are out on your own limb in May.I'm not sure even Gridiron would be willing to rank Jones in the top-10, it not even being May yet. I understand homerism, but some of the things above - - Wow:
he is in the best system a fantasy back can find
It's easy to be an optimist the week after the draft, but I'm certain folks in Philly, KC, St Louis, Minnesota, and Green Bay have something to say about the above comment.

I think Portis is FAR more talented than Byner ever was...and Gerald Riggs and Kelvin Bryant were FAR better than Trung, Rock, Ladell, and Alvin and Simon and the rest of the chipmunks. Why won't Portis score TDs like John Riggins did in his Gibbs era, 1981-1984, when he scored 54 TDs in 52 games?
It's possible that Portis could have a 24 TD season like Riggins did in 1983, but I wouldn't bet on it. In the other years you cited, Riggins rushed for 13, 3, and 14 TD's. Really wonderful seasons with 20+ TD's come along for a few backs here and there, but they're very rare (unless your name is Priest Holmes).Admit it, y'all would rip me big-time if I projected Portis at 22-24 rushing TD's. Currently, I see him rushing for 1200-1300/12-13 with 300-400/1-2 receiving.MW

The old records are the wrong contributors because I changed graphics as a short cut this year. I will correct the old records (2003) when I get some time.

Hey Wimer can you start another thread explaining why you ranked these players where you did? (j/k) Kudos to you for going out on a limb. It has certainly made for some interesting discussion. :thumbup:

Trufant (3)Archuleta (26)Peppers (30)Urlacher (34)
Go on over to the IDP forum. I'll have the thread you requested there.MW

I think Barlow is a much safer pick than an over the hill Faulk. Faulk hasn't rushed for over 1,000 in either of the past two seasons. His skills are declining and Steven Jackson may cut into his production. Barlow, on the other hand, is a productive young player who should get anywhere from 275-330 carries next season. Here's a post I made a few weeks ago.

What more does Barlow have to do to be proven? He just rushed for over 1,000 yards at 5.1 yards a pop. Here's what he did as a full time starter:vs. Arizona: 18 carries, 154 yards, 1 TDvs. Cincinnatti: 18 carries, 85 yards, 2 TD'svs. Philadelphia: 30 carries, 154 yards, 1 TDvs. Seattle: 14 carries, 40 yardsProject those totals out over a season and you get 320 carries for 1,732 yards and 16 rushing TD's. That's not to mention his solid receiving statistics.I'll admit that he probably won't be quite so productive over the course of a full season, but certainly 1,400 yards seems like a reasonable possibility considering his track record and that he appears to be the unquestioned go to guy in the running game.I really don't see why people are afraid of Barlow. He's a good player who will produce when given carries. I consider him a #1 fantasy RB assuming San Francisco doesn't draft someone good to steal his touches.
I can see why people would be down on the Niners. Their offense is young and inexperienced. Nevertheless, I think Barlow has a good chance of putting up a season similar to the one Jamal Lewis had in 2002 with the potential do do even better. I'd much rather take a chance on a young workhorse who has always been productive than I would a fading star whose days are numbered, but that's just me.
You make excellent points, EBFunk - nothing to disagree with there.My personal outlook on Barlow will probably change as the summer progresses, but until I hear how coaches are responding to his offseason and to his return to camp as the "man" instead of competing to be so - and, especially, until I see the SF offense in action and Barlow in particular running as the feature during preseason, I am willing to keep him behind some backs in whom I have more confidence.The ranking is not an indictment of Barlow for me - I actually see very little difference between the #11 and the #16 backs on my list. Each and every one of them would make an ideal RB2 on my team, but each and every one of them have question marks that make them less than an ideal RB1.I see the precipes at RB from #17 on down, but the debate of who goes where between #11 and #16 is, IMO, not productive. Any COULD blow up, and all have problems that make it questionable whether they will.

Admit it, y'all would rip me big-time if I projected Portis at 22-24 rushing TD's. Currently, I see him rushing for 1200-1300/12-13 with 300-400/1-2 receiving.MW
Well I wouldn't, I might not believe you, but wouldn't rip you for it. :P But at any rate, do you realize that in your projection for Portis, you have him rushing for a min of 150 yds less than he has been able to average over his career in what I am guessing is 3 games more (assuming that projections are for full 16). On top of that, how would a guy who finishes with the #s you are projecting (1500-1800 tot yds and 13-15 TDs) be 12th in RBs. What kind of #s are you projecting that 11 other backs are going to have. :shock:Edit to add that those #s (1500-1800 yds, 13-15 tds) would have put Portis at 7th against last years RBs (which I might add was unusually strong!)Holmes 27/2110Green 20/2250LT 17/2370Alex 16/1730Lewis 14/2271Portis 14/1905 (threw him even though it is about him)*you maybe able to throw McAllister in there as well depending on scoring sys. as he had 8/2157.But these are the only RBs that would have finished above Portis given even the low end of your projection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Colin summed it up best - Jones is probably appropriately ranked at this point in the year with a feature back already on the roster and talent, possibly decent scheme, but a history of underwhelming production.You may have said it first, but, like you said, you are out on your own limb in May.I'm not sure even Gridiron would be willing to rank Jones in the top-10, it not even being May yet. I understand homerism, but some of the things above - - Wow:
he is in the best system a fantasy back can find
It's easy to be an optimist the week after the draft, but I'm certain folks in Philly, KC, St Louis, Minnesota, and Green Bay have something to say about the above comment.
Let me clarify a couple points...First off, I am far from a Bears fan... let alone a Bears "homer." I'm speaking as objectively as one can.Next, there were a few comments about my comment on "the system." The first point is in response to the comment that I can't possibly know how the players will produce in it if it is in fact a "new system."I would like to clarify by saying that the system is only "new" to Chicago. Faulk and Holmes play in the same "system," and Shea has had tremendous success with it in the past. He brought in an offensive line that has either played in the same type of system (Tait, KC) or has been in the last a perennial pro-bowler (Brown). How can I guage the success of the system if it really is "new"? Because I have seen it produce fantasy studs in the past.This same comment applies to the comparisons to KC, STL, etc. I did not mean to imply that the Bears have the best ground game in the league - only that the SYSTEM, which is still in place in several of those places you mention, is probably the best system for a fantasy back.It certainly is early, but if we were to play formulate the rankigns conservatively: a) we would usually be wrong, since there are often drastic changes in the top 15, and b) we might just as well take last year's totals and CTRL-C, CTRL-V.I disagree heartily with those that think Barlow is ranked too low. That team is a mess, let's face it. And without looking at the situation etc., but just looking at a guy's production when he only had a handful of starts the previous season, always reminds me of the same damn thing that happens every single year ... Anthony Thomas ... William Green ... etc. :wall: I recently dumped Domanick Davis in my dynasty league while he is still valuable (for Fred Taylor), and if I had Rudi or Barlow I would happily cash in on them now too, while they are still valuable. History dictates that 1 or more of these guys will end up being a complete and total bust. :football:

:wall: Tell ya what - if San Francisco plays Arizona, Cincinnatti, Philly, and Seattle 4 times each next year, I'll happily draft Barlow high. Those are two awful rushing defenses, a very mediocre one at best, and a good one.You can't take a guy's stats from four games in the previous season against awful teams and extrapolate them over a full season. If life worked that way, William Green would have had 1800 yards this year. :rolleyes: Not only is Barlow unproven, but, of greater concern to me, he is in a disastrous situation. All the pro-bowlers left town, and he's stuck holding the reins in what will probably be a very mediocre offense. He may not see the red zone all that much.If anything, I think the Footballguys were actually very kind to Barlow ranking him as high as they did.

I think Clinton Portis is WAY too high. On the Skins, I see lots of yardage but a big dip in TDs. Wimer is apparently the only expert that agrees. I have him closer to RB12 myself. I'd like to hear him weigh in with his reasoning.
I disagree, I think he's too low.Your argument that he woulld have a ton of yardage but not TDs doesn't hold water, being that last season he scored 14 and all but 4 were scored from inside the 20. Portis is a successful red zone runner, and I don't see any goal line RB stealing carries from him in WAS.Betts? Only 2 TDs inside the redzone on 12 carries, not very effective at the GL. Plus they didn't give him a vote of confidence in signing Portis.Additioanlly they paid Portis a ton of money, they are not going to take him off the field that much. He's got a better-than-avg line in front, and isn't facing the most dominant DLines in the league.
I'm sure Portis is going to be a hot topic this offseason. People seem to love him or hate him. He carried me to one super bowl last year, so I like the guy. But that being said, I see his numbers going down. As I eluded to earlier, a lot of predictions are made by tweaking last year's final standings. I think this leaves a lot of players over and under valued.When the Broncos drafted Tatum Bell, his value skyrocketed. Pre-draft, the sentiment was that whoever the Broncos drafted be it Bell, Cobbs, Michael Turner, etc. would become one of the most valuable rookies, if not the top back. I agree with this sentiment, and I think most would as well. The Broncos RB is a very valuable back to have. Now if you'll concede the point that any particular RBs fantasy value would go up going to Denver, wouldn't it also then be true that the back's value would go down upon leaving Denver?I wasn't making the point that Portis would score less because he is a poor goal line runner. I was making the point that Portis would score less, because in Washington, the TDs will likely come through the air. Washington hasn't been a RB friendly place since Norv Turner left town. The top two RBs in Washington last year, Cartwright and Candidate, finished 41st and 42nd by FBGs scoring system. The previous year Stephen Davis was the 25th best RB (although he played in 12 games). Is Gibbs a big upgrade over Spurrier in terms of increasing the RBs fantasy value? Absolutely. Since the Skins paid for Portis with both a high draft pick and a ton of cash, won't they want to use him a lot? You bet. But Portis is going from a team that his produced some of the best RB FF stats the past couple of years to a team that has produced some of the worst RB stats the past couple of years. Sure, there's reason to believe that the Washington run game will go from terrible to above average. But will it be elite status? It sure would be a long way for it to leap.Consider Ricky Williams. I think the consensus is that he's a pretty talented guy. Plays in New Orleans. Not a perfect fit for his skill set. Produces good but not great numbers. Goes to Miami. Perfect situation. They want to run the ball day and night. Produces a top 4 season. I think there are some similarities here. I like Portis. I think he's a good back. I think he will have a fine NFL season in Washington. I do not think he'll produce FF numbers like he did in Denver. I do not think he will meet or exceed 14 TDs. I do not think he'll produce enough to merit his ranking in this poll.

One last comment: WRs ranked ahead of Andre Johnson: Derrick Mason, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Darrell Jackson. Is is just me, or does the thought of taking any of these guys ahead of Johnson just seem insane? And before you pull out the 03 stats, lets keep in mind that it was Johnson's rookie season. Johnson is just scratching his potential while these others have already reached it. Johnson should be top 10 boardering on top 5 IMO.
Santana Moss has reached his potential?
Yes I do. I can't see Moss improving on 1100 yards and 10 TDs. Especially not with McCareins opposite of him, taking away scores.
I can, easily in fact.S. Moss has just as much upside as A. Johnson I think. And I'm a pretty big A. Johnson fan.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see it.At the end of the year last year, Andre Johnson got all the crucial looks. He's got every tool you could ask for including size and speed. (Although he occasionally gets the dropsies)Moss has speed to burn, but he doesn't have AJ's size. On top of that, the offense figures to throw at other targets a good bit, including shiny new free agent McCareins. But in Houston, if the Texans are on the goaline and throwing it, Johnson is option A, B and C. I like Moss, just as I like Dyson and some of the other players listed above them. I'm not trying to suggest Moss is no good. I just think Johnson will outproduce these players, has more upside than these players and should be ranked higher than them.As far as upside goes, to me, its AJ in a landslide, but I've been wrong before.

I'm worried that people are going to get too caught up in the Chicago offensive system, like the mere fact he worked in KC under Vermeil indicates he's got the magic keys to the fantasy kingdom.When Bill Walsh ran the West Coast offense, it was different, innovative, and he had playmakers who executed on that system particularly well. Since then, many men have tried to run the WCO, with wide ranging degrees of success.While it's true Terry Shea has learned from Vermeil and wants to bring with him the same dynamic, spread offensive set. You have to remember a few things.1) He's got a defensive minded head coach2) He's got an inexperience and unproven QB3) He's got questionable talent at WR4) He's got a newly formed offensive line that will take time to gel5) He's got unproven playmakers at RB6) Shea has NEVER called plays in the NFLI'm sorry but you show me a team with no proven playmakers, a wet behind the ears QB, a first year head coach, and a first time NFL offensive play caller and there's no way you convince me that's a well oiled machine in 2004. :no:

One last comment: WRs ranked ahead of Andre Johnson: Derrick Mason, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Darrell Jackson. Is is just me, or does the thought of taking any of these guys ahead of Johnson just seem insane? And before you pull out the 03 stats, lets keep in mind that it was Johnson's rookie season. Johnson is just scratching his potential while these others have already reached it. Johnson should be top 10 boardering on top 5 IMO.
Being a Texans fan I think you rate A. Johnson too high...Yes he has the skills but I don't think he has the quarterback to rate him this high...The Texans are just not that great of an offensive team and I don't see much of an improvement anytime soon...

Jerry Porter, Marty Booker, Ashley Lelie, Justin McCareins, and David Givens all stand out to me as guys who could significantly outperform their rankings. I'm hesitant to ever hype Quincy Morgan again, but I wouldn't be surprised to see either he or Davis go for 1,000 this year.
I strongly agree, especially with the first three WRs listed. Porter and Lelie were both hyped as the next big thing last summer and got overvalued. Because they didn't produce then, the opposite is likely true in drafts this year. Booker obviously had a poor year, but is likely to bounce back.I'm a little bit more gunshy about McCareins(WR changing teams) and Givens(NE spreads the ball around too much for any one WR to produce great stats) but they both could be valuable if drafted late enough. I like McCareins more of the two, but Givens would probably be the better value.

Why is it that David and Joe's numbers are combined???? Are they siamese twins, joined at the hip???? Can't they think without each other??? Can they possibly be that much in agreement with each other???? They are not a legal couple, are they???? (That's a joke guys) :confused: Let's see the breakdown so we can over-analyize you two too.

I'm worried that people are going to get too caught up in the Chicago offensive system, like the mere fact he worked in KC under Vermeil indicates he's got the magic keys to the fantasy kingdom.When Bill Walsh ran the West Coast offense, it was different, innovative, and he had playmakers who executed on that system particularly well. Since then, many men have tried to run the WCO, with wide ranging degrees of success.While it's true Terry Shea has learned from Vermeil and wants to bring with him the same dynamic, spread offensive set. You have to remember a few things.1) He's got a defensive minded head coach2) He's got an inexperience and unproven QB3) He's got questionable talent at WR4) He's got a newly formed offensive line that will take time to gel5) He's got unproven playmakers at RB6) Shea has NEVER called plays in the NFLI'm sorry but you show me a team with no proven playmakers, a wet behind the ears QB, a first year head coach, and a first time NFL offensive play caller and there's no way you convince me that's a well oiled machine in 2004. :no:
Fair points, but you can't dispute that, gel time or not, this is one of the more talented offensive lines in the NFL right now.I also don't think the WR talent in Chicago is as questionable as you make it out to be. Marty Booker has been a diamond in the rough for some time now. The guy is super talented and has consistently had 100-catch seasons with lackluster quarterbacking. Terrell is an underacheiver but is not short on talent.Next, you note a defensive-minded head coach like it's a bad thing.Far as I've ever known, that just means that once he's got the lead, he just pounds the ball and dink n' dunks safe, short passes. And we're talking about the RB's fantasy value here, right?I'll agree that the QB is unproven and you make a good point, if correct, that Shea has never called plays before (I doubt that he didn't have a hand in the play calling in the past, but I can't confirm that).Otherwise this looks to me like the perfect sleeper situation coming together. Should Thomas Jones be ranked ahead of Ricky Williams in a fantasy ranking? Of course not. But I think he is one of the better candidates for the "that guy was a complete bum and now he made the top 10" award. I'd be delighted to have him as my #3 fantasy back, knowing full well he could end up being my #2 or even #1...It's awful lonely out here on this limb. :unsure:

I've made my arguments about Barlow and I'll stand by them. I believe that if he stays healthy he is a lock for the top 15. You can quote me on that and hold me to it. His YPC will almost certainly drop, but even if he only averages 4.0 he should still easily exceed 1,000 yards. I believe that he's one of the best RB's that you can hope to get in round two and that he will be a solid player for a lot of fantasy teams this year.

I've made my arguments about Barlow and I'll stand by them. I believe that if he stays healthy he is a lock for the top 15. You can quote me on that and hold me to it. His YPC will almost certainly drop, but even if he only averages 4.0 he should still easily exceed 1,000 yards. I believe that he's one of the best RB's that you can hope to get in round two and that he will be a solid player for a lot of fantasy teams this year.
well, you did draft him #5 overall so I'm guessing you expect more than top-15 numbers from him. ;)

Hah, yea. I think he'll be solid for me. My RB corps is a little spotty in that league, but it'll be a nice challenge.

Fair points, but you can't dispute that, gel time or not, this is one of the more talented offensive lines in the NFL right now.It's awful lonely out here on this limb. :unsure:
the Bears went from being one of the worst offensive lines in the league to one of the best offensive lines with the signing of John Tait?come on, the guy is good but he ain't that good.Ruben Brown is a downgrade from Villarial, and the Bears might trot out the worst LT of any team in the league. Kreutz is a stud and Tait is solid, and the line is definitely improved overall, but they are not nearly as good as you are suggesting.Terry Shea is a QB coach...he has no experience calling plays or running an offense. He could be one of the few guys who is successful right away, but many many people in similar situations have failed, so the odds are not necessarily in his favor.I'm cautiously optimistic regarding the Bears offense, but predicting top-10 #s for Thomas Jones is a bit silly at this point. I'd be impressed with a top-20 season from him.

Yes I do. I can't see Moss improving on 1100 yards and 10 TDs. Especially not with McCareins opposite of him, taking away scores.
I can, easily in fact.S. Moss has just as much upside as A. Johnson I think. And I'm a pretty big A. Johnson fan.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see it.At the end of the year last year, Andre Johnson got all the crucial looks. He's got every tool you could ask for including size and speed. (Although he occasionally gets the dropsies)Moss has speed to burn, but he doesn't have AJ's size. On top of that, the offense figures to throw at other targets a good bit, including shiny new free agent McCareins. But in Houston, if the Texans are on the goaline and throwing it, Johnson is option A, B and C. I like Moss, just as I like Dyson and some of the other players listed above them. I'm not trying to suggest Moss is no good. I just think Johnson will outproduce these players, has more upside than these players and should be ranked higher than them.As far as upside goes, to me, its AJ in a landslide, but I've been wrong before.
Going back to your original comparisons:MasonSMossSSmithDJacksonThe only one w/o a top notch QB is SSmith. And Jake Delhomme is significantly more effective than David Carr - Carr is so far putting up some of the worst stats in the league for young QBs. PLUS he is playing for a coach that will likely run the ball even more than Carolina did.AJ cresting the 1G threshhold is a good prediction - and increasing from 4 TDs to, say 6 or 8 is reasonable. Jumping from the #20 WR last year to pass the #6, #8, and #9 receivers from last year with an extremely questionable QB and offensive system, is not something you should EXPECT FBGuys to predict.Be happy the message board rankings have him 14 and DJax 15 - your fellow message board Sharks clearly think more closely to the way you do than the "experts" do. I like him as a sleeper WR, but I am not elevating him to the top of my WR2 ranks.On a couple points above, in the red zone, the Texans are not more likely to throw than the Jets, and while I might agree that AJ is the 1-2-3 in Houston, that is not saying much. The passing game in Houston is a shambles - and AJ will be facing double coverage each and every game, each and every play - resulting in a buttload of Carr INTs as he forces to his only option. Pennington, McNair, and even Delhomme have low INT percentages. In other words, these QBs will throw to these receivers w/o risking end of the drive - Carr, OTOH . . . Also, if your assertion about him getting the looks is to bolster the idea that he was strong at the end of 2003, the point is not well taken. AJ averaged 7.0 targets per game on the year and finished as the #20 WR, over the last 9 games of the year (when you need you players to be strong both fantasy and NFL - wise ), he finished with . . 7.0 targets per game and the #29 receiver over that stretch. In the last 9 games, he had only 2 touchdowns, and four games over 50 yards receiving. During your FF Playoffs, while he had an outstanding Super Bowl week 16 game, you probably didn't get there if you started AJ. He put up:Week 15: 4 catches on 9 targets for 28 yardsWeek 14: 1 catch for 11 yards v. the JagsWeek 13: 1 catch on 5 targets for 30 yards versus the FalconsWeek 12: 4 catches on 13 targets for 28 yards and 1 TD versus the Pats.That is not a good run at the end of the year - looks have to translate into production or they are useless.More options does not mean less opportunity. I happen to not like SMoss all that much either b/c he is a receiver who did more with less opps, but a full year of Pennie and only one other decent receiver on the squad, and I think Moss is gonna see the ball at least as much as AJ (Moss averaged 7.5 targets/game, AJ averaged 7.0). I give them each around 120-130 targets - I just happen to believe that SMoss will have more efficient opps coming from Pennie than AJ will coming from Carr, plus Moss can do a bit more once he has the ball. People forget what an open field terror he was at UM.Anyway, love the feedback - and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. If you have a rationale for why the rankings are off, I am def. open to being convinced - none of us are experts on every single player - but bring facts, not "gut feelings," to the debate.

Question for the staff. Just out of curiosity, how many iterations will there be of these rankings? One more, right before the season?

Why is it that David and Joe's numbers are combined???? Are they siamese twins, joined at the hip???? Can't they think without each other??? Can they possibly be that much in agreement with each other???? They are not a legal couple, are they???? (That's a joke guys) :confused: Let's see the breakdown so we can over-analyize you two too.
We are joined at the hip...LOL.The reason we keep ours together makes a lot more sense when we roll out the official FBG projections, Draft Dominator, VBD Excel App, etc. Those tools all drive from our official set of projections.If we have two diverse opinions, we try our best to find common ground. It has been known to get ugly at times...LOL.

Question for the staff. Just out of curiosity, how many iterations will there be of these rankings? One more, right before the season?
We will release new rankings about every 20 days.

Going back to your original comparisons:MasonSMossSSmithDJacksonThe only one w/o a top notch QB is SSmith. And Jake Delhomme is significantly more effective than David Carr - Carr is so far putting up some of the worst stats in the league for young QBs. PLUS he is playing for a coach that will likely run the ball even more than Carolina did.AJ cresting the 1G threshhold is a good prediction - and increasing from 4 TDs to, say 6 or 8 is reasonable. Jumping from the #20 WR last year to pass the #6, #8, and #9 receivers from last year with an extremely questionable QB and offensive system, is not something you should EXPECT FBGuys to predict.Be happy the message board rankings have him 14 and DJax 15 - your fellow message board Sharks clearly think more closely to the way you do than the "experts" do. I like him as a sleeper WR, but I am not elevating him to the top of my WR2 ranks.On a couple points above, in the red zone, the Texans are not more likely to throw than the Jets, and while I might agree that AJ is the 1-2-3 in Houston, that is not saying much. The passing game in Houston is a shambles - and AJ will be facing double coverage each and every game, each and every play - resulting in a buttload of Carr INTs as he forces to his only option. Pennington, McNair, and even Delhomme have low INT percentages. In other words, these QBs will throw to these receivers w/o risking end of the drive - Carr, OTOH . . . Also, if your assertion about him getting the looks is to bolster the idea that he was strong at the end of 2003, the point is not well taken. AJ averaged 7.0 targets per game on the year and finished as the #20 WR, over the last 9 games of the year (when you need you players to be strong both fantasy and NFL - wise ), he finished with . . 7.0 targets per game and the #29 receiver over that stretch. In the last 9 games, he had only 2 touchdowns, and four games over 50 yards receiving. During your FF Playoffs, while he had an outstanding Super Bowl week 16 game, you probably didn't get there if you started AJ. He put up:Week 15: 4 catches on 9 targets for 28 yardsWeek 14: 1 catch for 11 yards v. the JagsWeek 13: 1 catch on 5 targets for 30 yards versus the FalconsWeek 12: 4 catches on 13 targets for 28 yards and 1 TD versus the Pats.That is not a good run at the end of the year - looks have to translate into production or they are useless.More options does not mean less opportunity. I happen to not like SMoss all that much either b/c he is a receiver who did more with less opps, but a full year of Pennie and only one other decent receiver on the squad, and I think Moss is gonna see the ball at least as much as AJ (Moss averaged 7.5 targets/game, AJ averaged 7.0). I give them each around 120-130 targets - I just happen to believe that SMoss will have more efficient opps coming from Pennie than AJ will coming from Carr, plus Moss can do a bit more once he has the ball. People forget what an open field terror he was at UM.Anyway, love the feedback - and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. If you have a rationale for why the rankings are off, I am def. open to being convinced - none of us are experts on every single player - but bring facts, not "gut feelings," to the debate.
A couple of things:- I didn't own Johnson in my redraft league last or either of my dynasty leagues, so I have no bias toward him.- My ranking of Johnson indicates that I expect Carr to improve in 04. Truth be told I haven't watched enough of Carr to get a firm grip on him. If Carr can't get his act together, Johnson would be less valuable than I see him.- Johnson was a rookie, and as a rookie was inconsistant. This is true about the way he finished the year. However, in key situations, Johnson was always Carrs first read. Much to my surprise Gaffney and Bradford were often overlooked, even at times Johnson struggled. If he continues to improve, he'll make more of his opporunties.I just think Johnson is one of the most talented WRs to come into the league in awhile and I think he'll blossom in his second year. You may be right about Carr and the Houston offense in general holding him back. I imagine that I'll be eyeing training camp reports this summer out of Houston to see how Carr and the Texans offense looks and adjust my projections accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread