What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Family Feud: Pass or Play? (1 Viewer)

pollardsvision

Footballguy
It seems the contestants always elect to play, but that doesn't seem very smart to me.

I think I'd pass every time unless there are only four answers, maybe five. Playing with six or seven answers just seems nuts though.

And in those situations where I'd want to pass, I'd make sure not to buzz first and, when you are asked to answer 2nd, make sure wait too long and get buzzed so the other team starts with only one answer instead of two.

So, would you guys pass or play more often?

Anybody know of any extensive research that's been done on this very important topic?

It seems the contestants always elect to play, but that doesn't seem very smart to me.

I think I'd pass every time unless there are only four answers, maybe five.
Wait, what? I'd think the opposite. I'd want to play on questions with only four or five answers because those questions are more likely to have answers that most people think of, and you're less apt to run through three strikes coming up with those fewer, more obvious answers. I'd pass on the questions with more answers because the answers toward the end are bound to be more obscure, increasing the likelihood that the question comes back to you to steal.

Anybody know of any extensive research that's been done on this very important topic?
And, no, I don't know of any extensive research on this very important topic. As a lifelong Feuder who has watched all the hosts, though, I can say without any hesitation that Steve Harvey is the best Family Feud host.

Wait, what? I'd think the opposite. I'd want to play on questions with only four or five answers because those questions are more likely to have answers that most people think of, and you're less apt to run through three strikes coming up with those fewer, more obvious answers. I'd pass on the questions with more answers because the answers toward the end are bound to be more obscure, increasing the likelihood that the question comes back to you to steal.
I worded it oddly, but that's what I meant.

Four answers and I'd play.

Six or more and I'd pass.

Not sure about five.

One other benefit of passing...a collaborative effort for that one answer means teammates can tell each other if their answer is dumb. In the "play" phase, people often seem to give horrible answers that somebody else surely would've pointed out to them.

pollardsvision said:
Jewell said:
pollardsvision said:

I worded it oddly, but that's what I meant.

Four answers and I'd play.

Six or more and I'd pass.

Not sure about five.

One other benefit of passing...a collaborative effort for that one answer means teammates can tell each other if their answer is dumb. In the "play" phase, people often seem to give horrible answers that somebody else surely would've pointed out to them.
No, on second reading, you worded it perfectly. I'm just half drunk and half Polish. Not sure which part to blame on this.

I'd say it's stolen about 30% of the time. I'd play virtually everything, like people do.

Doesn't matter since the show is rigged.

Whenever they say "we asked 100 people..." they actually asked 50 normal people and 50 glue sniffers.

Jewell said:
, I can say without any hesitation that Steve Harvey is the best Family Feud host.
:no:
I gotta go with Jewell here. I liked Ray Combs, never saw much of Dawson. I was pretty indifferent about Louis Anderson. The Tool Time guy is worthless. Peterman's kind of annoying.

I think Harvey's very funny on the show though.

This show was only good when the host made out with all of the women. Hasn't been good since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without question you play everytime, passing is for #######.

Richard Dawson was the best host and I've seen him get to second base with several contestants

What makes Harvey the best Feud host is that the other hosts would pretend that the contestant's utterly stupid answer was in some way good and stood a chance, albeit a small one, to be on the board. Harvey doesn't play this game. Instead he ridicules the contestant as they rightly should be ridiculed. Often he can do expertly do this with just a look.

Jewell said:
pollardsvision said:
I can say without any hesitation that Steve Harvey is the best Family Feud host.
Are you out of your ### ###### #### # mind!?!

Corporal Newkirk will always be the best.

What makes Harvey the best Feud host is that the other hosts would pretend that the contestant's utterly stupid answer was in some way good and stood a chance, albeit a small one, to be on the board. Harvey doesn't play this game. Instead he ridicules the contestant as they rightly should be ridiculed. Often he can do expertly do this with just a look.
You never watched enough of Dawson. He did this all the time and it was so natural and likable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpSbeiPLB30

Without question you play everytime, passing is for #######.

Richard Dawson was the best host and I've seen him get to second base with several contestants
I'm not a afraid to be a #####.

Also, although it's called "passing", there's probably an 80+% chance your team will decide the round if you do. People play to feel in control, but it rarely works that way.

The other team might run it or they may take all but one or two obscure answers, but most likely (assuming 6+ answers) they will send it back to you with at least one or two very gettable answers left and will have told you three of the wrong answers already.

We played Family Feud at our gigantic family reunion this summer. They made me be the host.

We had a question like "Name something you would want to have if you wanted to be a 'ladies man'" My niece's husband was playing. He's a great guy but not a real 'spark plug'. His answer to the question was "a comb".

I tried to stay composed but my cousin, on the other team, couldn't stop laughing and I lost it. We had to stop the game for about 5 minutes.

We played Family Feud at our gigantic family reunion this summer. They made me be the host.

We had a question like "Name something you would want to have if you wanted to be a 'ladies man'" My niece's husband was playing. He's a great guy but not a real 'spark plug'. His answer to the question was "a comb".

I tried to stay composed but my cousin, on the other team, couldn't stop laughing and I lost it. We had to stop the game for about 5 minutes.
Watch the clip I posted above. :)

I think maybe you aren't remembering Dawson as host since it's been so long ago. He was fantastic. I didn't watch it much after he was gone from the show and only recently started watching more since my kids have gotten in to the show. Harvery is very good and I really enjoy him as host but it will always be Dawson at the top for me.

I'd compare it to Connery as Bond. The new guy Craig is really good but no matter how good he is he will never be the best Bond.

I don't even know why they offer the option. I've only seen one or two people pass in my entire lifetime. Everyone always plays.

I don't even know why they offer the option. I've only seen one or two people pass in my entire lifetime. Everyone always plays.
I also find it funny (not sure why) that nearly every contestant looks over at the team when asked if they want to pass or play. It's the same thing every time. They look over, team's all jumping up and down screaming "let's play", "we'll play Steve".

This is another factor that leads me to believe playing isn't always smart. Nobody has thought this through. It's the same spur of the moment decision made for the excitement of playing. I'd bet many teams even had the discussion about maybe passing in some situations, but they all just want to play.

wisegeek made an attempt to get to the bottom of this.

According to them, teams that plays gets all the answers 14% of the time, so 86% of games are decided by a steal attempt.

Now, the % of steal attempts that are successful is confusing. The numbers they post say steal attempts are only successful 44% of the time. But they have the following line at the end of the paragraph (implying they posted the numbers wrong and it might be 56%): "in the end, the numbers favor the family that is guessing. But not too much."

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-win-on-family-feud.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly several people on this thread have never seen Richard Dawson in action. Only pure ignorance can explain some of the opinions being put forth here.

According to them, teams that plays gets all the answers 14% of the time, so 86% of games are decided by a steal attempt.

Now, the % of steal attempts that are successful is confusing. The numbers they post say steal attempts are only successful 44% of the time. But they have the following line at the end of the paragraph (implying they posted the numbers wrong and it might be 56%): "in the end, the numbers favor the family that is guessing. But not too much."

I interpret "the family that is guessing" to be the family that played the round, not the family that's trying to steal.

If you can't get all the answers when you play, why would you think you could be successful if you passed and then had a chance to steal?

The way it is worded, it seems that 14% of the time the guessing team is successful at getting all the answers to win the game. Plus they also win 56% of the other 86% of the time from the unsuccessful steals. So in total, the team doing the guessing wins 62 percent of the time (.14 + (.56+.86)).

The only people whose opinions really matter are Wu Tang Clan, and they've pretty much settled this. Family Feud = Richard Dawson.

If you can't get all the answers when you play, why would you think you could be successful if you passed and then had a chance to steal?
You are conferring with your team while the other team is playing. You don't have to worry about cousin Eddie getting the 3rd strike.

The greatest Feud episode I ever saw was a repeat I caught about 5 years ago. I don't know what era of the game it was...maybe the Al Borland or J. Peterman version, fairly recent. There was a black family playing, and the father/husband was the greatest person I've ever seen in my life. Big afro, big big stomach, red eyes, big beard. He waddles up for the faceoff and the question is something really simple like "Name a famous American rock musician". He buzzes and answers: "Bruce............STINSSSSSSSSFIEEELLLLLLLLLLD" really drawn out. Host looks at him, "Who?". Guy: "Bruuuuuuuuuuce....STINSfield!!!! You know, The BOSS!!", with "boss" accented by a southern twang and then he cackles maniacally.

I was living with some friends at the time and having to give up that episode on our DVR was heartbreaking.

You are conferring with your team while the other team is playing. You don't have to worry about cousin Eddie getting the 3rd strike.
Also you don't have to get them all. Just one.

There's also the issue that 3 incorrect answers have already been identified for you.

I interpret "the family that is guessing" to be the family that played the round, not the family that's trying to steal.
The way it is worded, it seems that 14% of the time the guessing team is successful at getting all the answers to win the game. Plus they also win 56% of the other 86% of the time from the unsuccessful steals. So in total, the team doing the guessing wins 62 percent of the time (.14 + (.56+.86)).
So, if those numbers are true (I don't doubt them much), if using one strategy every time, play's obviously the choice.

But I'd love to see the stats on a couple of scenarios:

-Win % for the passing team limited to questions with six or more answers

-Same as above, but when the playing team starts with only one choice guessed instead of two (when the first buzzer guesses the top answer or the one of the contestants completely whiffs)

I still think I'd pass in most of those situations (and make sure I didn't give the other team an answer to use from buzzing).

Users who are viewing this thread