What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fanduel - Week 3 Picks (1 Viewer)

mrip541

Footballguy
For weeks 1 and 2 there were some pretty obvious values but player costs appear to be more in line for week 3 meaning you can’t pick all studs in the 60k bracket. From a quick browse of the values I’m seeing relative values/must picks as:

QB: RG3, Matt Ryan

WR: Stevie Johnson, Garcon, Wayne/Collie (if he plays)

RB: Sproles, Daryl Richardson, R. Bush, Spiller, J. Charles

TE: Graham, Gronk or Pitta

Who are you high on?

Edit - Not feeling some of these guys after a few days' thought and getting injury updates, but will leave the original post as is.

Last edited by a moderator:
For weeks 1 and 2 there were some pretty obvious values but player costs appear to be more in line for week 3 meaning you can’t pick all studs in the 60k bracket. From a quick browse of the values I’m seeing relative values/must picks as:QB: RG3, Matt RyanWR: Stevie Johnson, Garcon, Wayne/Collie (if he plays)RB: Sproles, Daryl Richardson, R. Bush, Spiller, J. CharlesTE: Graham, Gronk or PittaWho are you high on?
Charles? Why so high on him? I like M Bush too!

QB - Tony Romo vs. TB - $8,300

RB - C.J Spiller @ CLE - $7,800

RB - M.Bush vs. STL - $6,300

WR - Miles Austin vs. TB - $6,700

WR - Dwayne Bowe @ NO - $6,700

WR - Marques Colston vs. KC - $6,000

TE - Rob Gronkowski @ BAL - $7,900

K - Nate Keading vs. STL - $5,000

DST - BUF @ CLE - $5,100

$200 left over.

I've played Fanduel the past few weeks with middling success although I am now sticking with the 50/50 because I seem to make money on those regularly. I think it is interesting to take a more analytic view of the contest since there is bound to be pricing inefficiencies and see where that takes us in terms of player discussion.

Using the FootballGuys early week 3 projections and the Fanduel scoring structure (4pt Passing, 1/2 PPR) I came up with the top 10 (15 for WRs) bang for your $ list for each position, ignoring K and DEF as I don't think those have much value in this type of analysis. Given that the projections are proprietary I won't include the projected totals for each player or points/$ figures but I figured the top 10 lists would be okay. If it is not then let me know and I can re-run the figures with publicly available projections (such as ESPN :shock: )

Here are the results for Week 3:

QB Russell Wilson $5,400 RB Trent Richardson $7,900 WR DeSean Jackson $6,100 TE Jason Witten $5,400QB Jake Locker $6,000 RB Michael Bush $6,300 WR Malcom Floyd $5,800 TE Dennis Pitta $4,800QB Joe Flacco $6,600 RB Andre Brown $5,400 WR Brandon Marshall $6,700 TE Kyle Rudolph $5,100QB Matt Cassel $6,100 RB DeMarco Murray $7,600 WR Brandon LaFell $5,700 TE Brent Celek $5,700QB Tony Romo $8,300 RB Stevan Ridley $6,100 WR Percy Harvin $6,700 TE Tony Gonzalez $5,400QB Kevin Kolb $5,700 RB Pierre Thomas $5,400 WR Steve Smith $6,600 TE Martellus Bennett $5,200QB Alex Smith $7,000 RB Willis McGahee $5,500 WR Michael Crabtree $5,400 TE Jimmy Graham $7,600QB Cam Newton $9,200 RB C.J. Spiller $7,800 WR Marques Colston $6,000 TE Vernon Davis $6,600QB Jay Cutler $6,700 RB Alfred Morris $6,000 WR Antonio Brown $6,000 TE Antonio Gates $6,700QB Robert Griffin III $8,500 RB Reggie Bush $7,300 WR Dez Bryant $6,400 TE Owen Daniels $5,200 WR Torrey Smith $5,400 WR Vincent Jackson $6,700 WR A.J. Green $7,300 WR Reggie Wayne $6,400 WR Santonio Holmes $5,700 There are some expected names and some surprising names based off of my own initial views of which players represent value. Obviously the results here are only as good as the projections. This is a starting point when looking for value but the point of the contest is to score the most points, not have the most valuable team. For this I used the Solver Add-In in excel to calculate the highest scoring team for each level: Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert. Note that I made the assumption that the Kicker and Defense will cost $10k total and removed it from the budget.

Beginner ($55k + $10k for K/DEF)

Cam Newton

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

Calvin Johnson

Brandon Marshall

A.J. Green

Jimmy Graham

Total $54,500

Intermediate ($50k + $10k for K/DEF)

Cam Newton

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

DeSean Jackson

Brandon Marshall

Percy Harvin

Jason Witten

Total $49,600

Expert ($45k + $10k for K/DEF)

Russell Wilson

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

DeSean Jackson

Malcom Floyd

Brandon Marshall

Jason Witten

Total $44,900

Results: DeMarco Marray, Trent Richardson, and Brandon Marshall show up on all 3 rosters, with Cam Newton, DeSean Jackson, and Jason Witten showing up on 2 rosters which isn't surprising given how high they all were ranked on the previous lists.

I wouldn't have put together any of these rosters myself but I may give one a shot this week to see how they actually fare in competition. :banned:

I've played Fanduel the past few weeks with middling success although I am now sticking with the 50/50 because I seem to make money on those regularly. I think it is interesting to take a more analytic view of the contest since there is bound to be pricing inefficiencies and see where that takes us in terms of player discussion.

Using the FootballGuys early week 3 projections and the Fanduel scoring structure (4pt Passing, 1/2 PPR) I came up with the top 10 (15 for WRs) bang for your $ list for each position, ignoring K and DEF as I don't think those have much value in this type of analysis. Given that the projections are proprietary I won't include the projected totals for each player or points/$ figures but I figured the top 10 lists would be okay. If it is not then let me know and I can re-run the figures with publicly available projections (such as ESPN :shock: )

QB Russell Wilson $5,400 RB Trent Richardson $7,900 WR DeSean Jackson $6,100 TE Jason Witten $5,400QB Jake Locker $6,000 RB Michael Bush $6,300 WR Malcom Floyd $5,800 TE Dennis Pitta $4,800QB Joe Flacco $6,600 RB Andre Brown $5,400 WR Brandon Marshall $6,700 TE Kyle Rudolph $5,100QB Matt Cassel $6,100 RB DeMarco Murray $7,600 WR Brandon LaFell $5,700 TE Brent Celek $5,700QB Tony Romo $8,300 RB Stevan Ridley $6,100 WR Percy Harvin $6,700 TE Tony Gonzalez $5,400QB Kevin Kolb $5,700 RB Pierre Thomas $5,400 WR Steve Smith $6,600 TE Martellus Bennett $5,200QB Alex Smith $7,000 RB Willis McGahee $5,500 WR Michael Crabtree $5,400 TE Jimmy Graham $7,600QB Cam Newton $9,200 RB C.J. Spiller $7,800 WR Marques Colston $6,000 TE Vernon Davis $6,600QB Jay Cutler $6,700 RB Alfred Morris $6,000 WR Antonio Brown $6,000 TE Antonio Gates $6,700QB Robert Griffin III $8,500 RB Reggie Bush $7,300 WR Dez Bryant $6,400 TE Owen Daniels $5,200 WR Torrey Smith $5,400 WR Vincent Jackson $6,700 WR A.J. Green $7,300 WR Reggie Wayne $6,400 WR Santonio Holmes $5,700 There are some expected names and some surprising names based off of my own initial views of which players represent value. Obviously the results here are only as good as the projections. This is a starting point when looking for value but the point of the contest is to score the most points, not have the most valuable team. For this I used the Solver Add-In in excel to calculate the highest scoring team for each level: Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert. Note that I made the assumption that the Kicker and Defense will cost $10k total and removed it from the budget.

Cam Newton

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

Calvin Johnson

Brandon Marshall

A.J. Green

Jimmy Graham

Total $54,500

Cam Newton

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

DeSean Jackson

Brandon Marshall

Percy Harvin

Jason Witten

Total $49,600

Russell Wilson

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

DeSean Jackson

Malcom Floyd

Brandon Marshall

Jason Witten

Total $44,900

Results: DeMarco Marray, Trent Richardson, and Brandon Marshall show up on all 3 rosters, with Cam Newton, DeSean Jackson, and Jason Witten showing up on 2 rosters which isn't surprising given how high they all were ranked on the previous lists.

I wouldn't have put together any of these rosters myself but I may give one a shot this week to see how they actually fare in competition. :banned:
Dude, honestly, :goodposting: . You should do this with a myriad of other rankings. I'd follow it for sure.

Cam Newton

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

Calvin Johnson

Brandon Marshall

A.J. Green

Jimmy Graham

Total $54,500

Cam Newton

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

DeSean Jackson

Brandon Marshall

Percy Harvin

Jason Witten

Total $49,600

Russell Wilson

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

DeSean Jackson

Malcom Floyd

Brandon Marshall

Jason Witten

Total $44,900

Great Post! If I'm playing in the 50/50 I would not be playing Wilson, but in the tournament types I would consider it. In the 50/50 leagues it seems like the best strategy to win consistently is to take guys with high floors and shoot for 25th or better rather than aiming to have the most points. I have great results so far....but it's only been two weeks and a broken watch is still right twice a day.Please continue doing this, great info.

Great post Boom.

A lot of the names are similar to what I was leaning toward in Expert

Cassel

Spiller

Bush

Green

Wayne

Floyd

Chandler

K/D with $200 to spare

Cam Newton

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

Calvin Johnson

Brandon Marshall

A.J. Green

Jimmy Graham

Total $54,500

Cam Newton

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

DeSean Jackson

Brandon Marshall

Percy Harvin

Jason Witten

Total $49,600

Russell Wilson

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson

DeSean Jackson

Malcom Floyd

Brandon Marshall

Jason Witten

Total $44,900

why murray? TB stunk vs the run last year but they look much better this year. also, they can't stop the pass. i think it's likely austin+dez dominate the game and eat up most of the stats.p peterson possibly matched up vs desean? i'd avoid that situation

i think marshall is a great start this week. many will shy away from him after what happened last week.

Marshall seems like a good play in a regular league. I agree, not many people will take him, if you expect him to hit you gain ground on the field.

I don't see any value in playing him in a 50/50 league. I think there is still some risk that he (Cutler) can throw up a stinker and there are other guys in his range that have a higher floor that can still get you in the money.

The lineup I have set right now for 55k league.

RG3

Andre Brown

Willis McGahee

Demaryius Thomas

Brandon Marshall

Stevie Johnson

Brent Celek

Tynes

Steelers D

Marshall seems like a good play in a regular league. I agree, not many people will take him, if you expect him to hit you gain ground on the field.I don't see any value in playing him in a 50/50 league. I think there is still some risk that he (Cutler) can throw up a stinker and there are other guys in his range that have a higher floor that can still get you in the money.
i do. marshall will get a ton of targets so i see him as a safe play that also has big upside. i can't see him doing any worse than "decent", which is fine for a 50/50.desean is a guy that i would avoid in 50/50's in general. i like him even less if maclin doesn't play.

Cam Newton Robert Griffin III

DeMarco Murray

Trent Richardson C.J. Spiller

Calvin Johnson

Brandon Marshall

A.J. Green

Jimmy Graham

Total $54,500
Thanks for the great post! I'm doing mostly 65K games. I think I'm staying away from the Thursday game for now, so I'm going with RG3. Also, I can't get away from Spiller yet. Otherwise I'm pretty much on board with what you have here.If anyone cares about defense, I like the Eagles against Arizona. Eagles have forced 6 turnovers and have a relentless D-line against the Arizona O-line. Cards have turned it over 5 times.

DeMarco Murray

Calvin Johnson

Brandon Marshall

A.J. Green

Jimmy Graham

Total $54,500
Thanks for the great post! I'm doing mostly 65K games. I think I'm staying away from the Thursday game for now, so I'm going with RG3. Also, I can't get away from Spiller yet. Otherwise I'm pretty much on board with what you have here.If anyone cares about defense, I like the Eagles against Arizona. Eagles have forced 6 turnovers and have a relentless D-line against the Arizona O-line. Cards have turned it over 5 times.
can you post some of the winning scores in those 65k leagues on monday?

Charles? Why so high on him? I like M Bush too!
I've changed my thoughts quite a bit since i made the original post, but I think Charles bounces back against a D that will be playing soft for much of the game after NO goes up big early, and Charles is one of the cheapest starting RBs. That said, I don't think he'll be on any of my teams this week.New Thoughts:QB: RG3, Matt RyanWR: Stevie Johnson, Marshal, A.J. Green, D. ThomasRB: Spiller, M. Bush, Richardson, A. BrownTE: Graham, Gronk or BennettLooks like a good week to take the bargain RBs and load up with studs elsewhere. Was mentioned earlier but Malcolm Floyd is a good deal if you want to spring for an ultra-premium player like Megatron.It might also be really risky to start M. Bush for the Thursday contests due the chance Forte actually plays.

DeMarco Murray

Calvin Johnson

Brandon Marshall

A.J. Green

Jimmy Graham

Total $54,500
can you post some of the winning scores in those 65k leagues on monday?
Last week in the 65K 50/50, it took about 110 to cash.I took 1st in a 5 player with 126 and 1st in a 10 player with 155, 2nd had 135, 3rd was 133. Both 65K games.

if chris johnson was 4,500 this week, would you guys start him?

i ask on behalf of my draftstreet team. he is really cheap over there and im not sure if i should use him or not.

'flc735 said:
if chris johnson was 4,500 this week, would you guys start him?i ask on behalf of my draftstreet team. he is really cheap over there and im not sure if i should use him or not.
no

Alfred Morris is super-juicy this week at 6,000 and playing the Bengals.

That being said, I just feel one day he's going to be inactive for no reason. Can't shake the feeling.

'flc735 said:
if chris johnson was 4,500 this week, would you guys start him?i ask on behalf of my draftstreet team. he is really cheap over there and im not sure if i should use him or not.
head 2 head & 50/50 = notourney I might roll the dice if the salary slots right. In tourney play I go highest ceiling Vs the cost

Alfred Morris is super-juicy this week at 6,000 and playing the Bengals.That being said, I just feel one day he's going to be inactive for no reason. Can't shake the feeling.
I am not worried about alf not playing but I think he is a guy I will stay away from anyway. He doesn't catch passes so it becomes a matter of predicting touchdowns, which is tough to do. He could have a very good game and still end up with 9 points.

Here's my lineup for a 50-team 50/50 @ Expert

Joe Flacco - 6600

CJ Spiller- 7800

Michael Bush - 6300

Malcom Floyd - 5800

Brandon Marshall - 6700

Miles Austin - 6700

Dennis Pitta - 4800

Jason Hanson - 5200

Buffalo Bills - 5100

$0 left over.

Same freeroll I won last week for 100$. 1st edit

Salary remaining:$0

QB Tony Romo TB@DAL $8,300(see Eli and Cam vs TB)

RB Michael Bush STL@CHI $6,300 (value pick)

RB C.J. Spiller BUF@CLE $7,800 (top RB this week)

WR Steve Johnson BUF@CLE $6,300 (no Joe Hadden)

WR Mike Wallace PIT@OAK $6,900 (should get loose)

WR Dwayne Bowe KC@NO $6,700 (Saints D sux)

TE Jimmy Graham KC@NO $7,600 (KC banged up secondary and a stud regardless)

K Greg Zuerlein STL@CHI $5,100 (had him all season for bottom of the barrel prices)

D Detroit Lions DET@TEN $5,000 (Jake Locker and Cris Johnson)

Miles Austin, Stevie Johnson, Romo, Donald Brown, Peyton Hillis, and Mike Bush are all guys I'll be using a lot this week to cut cost... Not sure how I'm going to divide my bankroll weekly, maybe just risk like 20% every week.

Romo

Bush

Spiller

Cruz

Steve Smith

Marshall

Pettigrew

Dan Bailey

Cardinals D.

100$ left over.

Feelin' good about that squad. Let's just hope CJ keeps up his reign of terror.

I didn't choose him the last 2 weeks and he went off, let's hope this isn;t the week he cools off..

ATM my rosters are comprised of:

All lineups are for 3 man leagues with no thursday games.

QB: T. Romo, D. Brees

RB: MJD, T. Richardson, F. Gore, D. Murray, A. Morris,

WR: C. Johnson, B. Marshall,, R. Wayne, M. Floyd, D. Bowe, M. Crabtree

TE: J. Graham

K: G. Hartley

D/ST: Saints, Lions, Steelers

In most leagues, I'm starting Matt cassell against the saints at a modest 5400, with Michael bush as one of my backs, and Marcellus Bennett as my tight end. These cheap options allow me to pick up top level studs in the other spots.

Expert Lineup - three 50/50 leagues - $10/$10/$5

Cassel

Spiller

M Bush

Green

Wayne

Floyd

Pitta

Cin - Nugent

Chicago

Standard Lineup - four 50/50 leagues - $25/$25/$10/$10

RG3

Spiller

Bush

Megatron

Green

Wayne

Pitta

Det - Hanson

Chicago

Code:
QB	Russell Wilson		$5,400		RB	Trent Richardson	$7,900		WR	DeSean Jackson		$6,100		TE	Jason Witten		$5,400QB	Jake Locker		$6,000		RB	Michael Bush		$6,300		WR	Malcom Floyd		$5,800		TE	Dennis Pitta		$4,800QB	Joe Flacco		$6,600		RB	Andre Brown		$5,400		WR	Brandon Marshall	$6,700		TE	Kyle Rudolph		$5,100QB	Matt Cassel		$6,100		RB	DeMarco Murray		$7,600		WR	Brandon LaFell		$5,700		TE	Brent Celek		$5,700QB	Tony Romo		$8,300		RB	Stevan Ridley		$6,100		WR	Percy Harvin		$6,700		TE	Tony Gonzalez		$5,400QB	Kevin Kolb		$5,700		RB	Pierre Thomas		$5,400		WR	Steve Smith		$6,600		TE	Martellus Bennett	$5,200QB	Alex Smith		$7,000		RB	Willis McGahee		$5,500		WR	Michael Crabtree	$5,400		TE	Jimmy Graham		$7,600QB	Cam Newton		$9,200		RB	C.J. Spiller		$7,800		WR	Marques Colston		$6,000		TE	Vernon Davis		$6,600QB	Jay Cutler		$6,700		RB	Alfred Morris		$6,000		WR	Antonio Brown		$6,000		TE	Antonio Gates		$6,700QB	Robert Griffin III	$8,500		RB	Reggie Bush		$7,300		WR	Dez Bryant		$6,400		TE	Owen Daniels		$5,200												WR	Torrey Smith		$5,400																WR	Vincent Jackson		$6,700																WR	A.J. Green		$7,300																WR	Reggie Wayne		$6,400																WR	Santonio Holmes		$5,700
Working through some of the same math you did (I've only done QBs so far) I basically got the same list, although Cam and Cutler were switched. My questions is this, wouldn't it be best to just try and sort by projections and then take the best bang for buck? Based on the top 10 highest projections (per FBG and FanDuel scoring)the best bet for QB would be Flacco at 6,600.Another wrinkle to add in too would be calculate your bang for the buck, like you did, then run a weighted average against the whole salary cap to try and figure out where the best position to spend premium dollars would be. For that though it'd probably be best to keep past statistics on real performance vs best deal projections to see how they relate.

'The Duff Man said:
Is Forte out officially? For those of us putting in Thurs lineups?
Not officially but every single thing I've read or heard said he has no chance to play. I'm rolling the dice.

'ShaHBucks said:
Same freeroll I won last week for 100$. 1st edit Salary remaining:$0QB Tony Romo TB@DAL $8,300(see Eli and Cam vs TB)RB Michael Bush STL@CHI $6,300 (value pick)RB C.J. Spiller BUF@CLE $7,800 (top RB this week)WR Steve Johnson BUF@CLE $6,300 (no Joe Hadden)WR Mike Wallace PIT@OAK $6,900 (should get loose)WR Dwayne Bowe KC@NO $6,700 (Saints D sux)TE Jimmy Graham KC@NO $7,600 (KC banged up secondary and a stud regardless)K Greg Zuerlein STL@CHI $5,100 (had him all season for bottom of the barrel prices)D Detroit Lions DET@TEN $5,000 (Jake Locker and Cris Johnson)Miles Austin, Stevie Johnson, Romo, Donald Brown, Peyton Hillis, and Mike Bush are all guys I'll be using a lot this week to cut cost... Not sure how I'm going to divide my bankroll weekly, maybe just risk like 20% every week.
wallace is Q. keep an eye n thati think stevie is risky. the browns suck vs the run. if spiller doesn't dominate then ya, stevie will be good. but he could have a 3 catch game if spiller does his usual thing. i wouldn't play both together in a freeroll

'ShaHBucks said:
Same freeroll I won last week for 100$. 1st edit Salary remaining:$0QB Tony Romo TB@DAL $8,300(see Eli and Cam vs TB)RB Michael Bush STL@CHI $6,300 (value pick)RB C.J. Spiller BUF@CLE $7,800 (top RB this week)WR Steve Johnson BUF@CLE $6,300 (no Joe Hadden)WR Mike Wallace PIT@OAK $6,900 (should get loose)WR Dwayne Bowe KC@NO $6,700 (Saints D sux)TE Jimmy Graham KC@NO $7,600 (KC banged up secondary and a stud regardless)K Greg Zuerlein STL@CHI $5,100 (had him all season for bottom of the barrel prices)D Detroit Lions DET@TEN $5,000 (Jake Locker and Cris Johnson)Miles Austin, Stevie Johnson, Romo, Donald Brown, Peyton Hillis, and Mike Bush are all guys I'll be using a lot this week to cut cost... Not sure how I'm going to divide my bankroll weekly, maybe just risk like 20% every week.
wallace is Q. keep an eye n thati think stevie is risky. the browns suck vs the run. if spiller doesn't dominate then ya, stevie will be good. but he could have a 3 catch game if spiller does his usual thing. i wouldn't play both together in a freeroll
Hmm I'm watching Wallace. Might swap Stevie for Malcolm Floyd. Floyd isn't get respect on these sites either for the value guys.

55k cap

Jay Cutler

CHI v STL (Pre-game)

RBDoug MartinTB @ DAL (Pre-game)

RB

Stevan RidleyNE @ BAL (Pre-game)

WR

A.J. Green

IN @ WAS (Pre-game)

WRBrandon Lloyd

NE @ BAL (Pre-game)

WR

Brandon Marshall

CHI v STL (Pre-game)

TE

Jason Witten

DAL v TB (Pre-game)

K

Greg ZuerleinSTL @ CHI (Pre-game)

D

Arizona Cardinals

ARI v PHI (Pre-game)

M Bush seems like an obvious pick but I'm up against him in 3 league (bad break) and he's playing my favorite NFL team so I left him out. Probably will regret that but it's just 20 bucks total between two FD leagues. I went with boom or bust lineup since I don't have as much cap space as most people in this thread.

QB Robert Griffin IIICIN@W###8,500

RB Andre BrownNYG@CAR$5,400

RB Trent RichardsonBUF@CLE$7,900

WR A.J. GreenCIN@W###7,300

WR Victor CruzNYG@CAR$7,500

WR Julio JonesATL@SD$7,600

TE Brent CelekPHI@ARI$5,700

K Garrett HartleyKC@NO$5,000

D Dallas CowboysTB@DAL$5,000

Thanks for the tips guys. Waded in for real money for the first time this week. Played most of the guys listed in this and invested heavy in Bennett and Brown in my early leagues.

Thanks for the tips guys. Waded in for real money for the first time this week. Played most of the guys listed in this and invested heavy in Bennett and Brown in my early leagues.
Where did you put the $? And how much? (just curious)

Users who are viewing this thread