What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fant vs Hockenson vs Irv Smith in dynasty drafts, who do you take? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Who do you like?  I was partial to Hockenson before the combine, but not as much now..  I won't bore you with scouting reports, as most of us have already read them.  Fant blew away the combine with a 4.50 40, 39.5 vertical, 127 inch broad jump, 6.81 3 cone shuttle, 4.22 20 shuttle.   Whereas Hockenson ran a 4.70 40, 37.5 vertical, and 123 broad jump, 7.02 3 cone shuttle, and 4.18 20 shuttle.

I didn't know Fant was that fast.

I added Irv Smith to this discussion because I like him just as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know some of those weird by-lines were you read something and don't put much to it.....it was not the main point of article. 

There was some odd line in Roto during Combine that Bill B was talking to a scout and the name Fant was heard.  Then you see 2 Mock drafts were NEP takes Fant.   Maybe there was more strength to that idea? 

I have them even, with landing situation being the deciding factor for me. 

Fant looked "crisp" on his cuts.  Hock was no slouch, but just not as sharp IMO.  But both look solid. 

I compare Fant to Graham, who was super effective in NO, not used properly the majority of his time in SEA, and a bust so far in GB. 

I'm not sure I prefer an athletic TE like that vs someone who can "do it all."

I like Hockenson better, but I'd be happy with Fant (or even Irv Smith)

100% depends on landing spot, doesn't it?  Assuming they both land in similar situations, I'd probably go with Hockenson for now because I think he'll be on the field 100% of the time, and his measureables come out similar to Ertz, so the slightly slower time doesn't bother me.  

Hock, and it's not close for me.  Complete TE, and has plenty of game speed so the 4.71 40 is of zero concern for me.

I really like both of them. Most leagues i play in are TE premium, so both are appealing to me.

I think it will just come down to who goes where for me.

I think everyones ideal outcome for either would be NO, and NE for either. There are some other spots i think are ok, so i feel like the landing spot will be the ultimate decider for me.

GB, Hou, are probably next for me as desired locations.

I think cincy, buffalo, tenn, jax, are potential spots although I dont like them as much.

I like Irv Smith as well.  Do you see him passing either Fant or Hock?  I included Smith in the title because I like him just as much as Fant and Hock.

Both Iowa's had strong combines, Fant's was just so incredible it overshadowed Hockensons.

Right now I got Hock ahead of Fant but landing spot will dictate final decision and NE is not getting any of them at pick 32.

Irv Smith came in smaller then expected, was not quite in their class before the combine and that gap grew a little more. Still easily #3, but the Iowa's are a cut above.

Landing spot will obviously play a role, but Hock-Fant-Smith is my order right now. Hock would have to end up in a Goedert-like situation to not be #1 for me. 

I liked Fant first, then I liked Hockenson, then Smith. As it is now, I gotta wait until I see where they go.

Without knowing the team or draft spot it's hard as I think all 3 are good players.

For fantasy I see this as similar to Engram vs OJ Howard.

Fant is perhaps the better bet for fantasy production and perhaps sooner in his career but if Hockenson is drafted top 15 and Fant is 2nd round then I lean more towards Hockenson.

Fant is perhaps the better bet for fantasy production and perhaps sooner in his career but if Hockenson is drafted top 15 and Fant is 2nd round then I lean more towards Hockenson.
This wouldn't affect anything for me, I tend to agree with most mock drafts which have Hockenson going first.  I think he's the better NFL TE and Fant will be the better Fantasy TE.

Of course, landing spot is going to be the real tie breaker.

I think NFL draft will determine the order, all 3 look to be great prospects. I'd say a HOF QB throwing to them (like Brady/Rodgers) will make this an easier decision come May. 

Irv isn’t doing much for me. Pretty short, very short arms, didn’t pop in any drills but 40, wasn’t a large part of the Baka passing offense. Fant needs to end up on a team that will use him like Jimmy Graham or Colston. He’s the ultimate big slot mismatch. 

I prefer more complete TE's so I lean Hockenson among the TE's.  Fant will be good if his landing spot is good, but either way I think year 1 impact is minimal.  I do like Irv Smith Jr as well just a discount version of Fant basically.  

I prefer more complete TE's so I lean Hockenson among the TE's.  Fant will be good if his landing spot is good, but either way I think year 1 impact is minimal.  I do like Irv Smith Jr as well just a discount version of Fant basically.  
I get that year 1 impact, and sometimes year 2, is minimal, but I dont understand why people say this so much as if to say you should never draft a te. 

If you never invest the draft capital in a te you are relying on round 3 hits, which are rare. When you have impressive talent at te like this draft, IMO investing a 1st or high 2nd is worth it long term. 

So for my specific circumstance, I am sitting pretty decent at TE. Not great, but not bad. I'm strongly considering taking one of these guys at 1.7 for the long term payoff. I'd much rather draft a future stud TE than the RB and 2nd tier WRs from this draft. although it would be VERY hard for me to pass on AJ Brown or Butler for a TE...

I liked Fant first, then I liked Hockenson, then Smith. As it is now, I gotta wait until I see where they go.
I liked fant first, hock too but can't just stood out to me. Didn't see all that many of their games though so I'm not sure my initial take is right. 

This wouldn't affect anything for me, I tend to agree with most mock drafts which have Hockenson going first.  I think he's the better NFL TE and Fant will be the better Fantasy TE.

I agree with this, but as long as neither destination is bad I'm probably taking fant. 

Neither.  I'll wait until they do nothing year 1 and buy on the cheap going into year 2 offseason. 
I get this, acquired Howard pretty much everywhere after his rookie year and I stand by him as my top TE - not the TE1 but I feel comfortable with him being my starter the next decade, much like I did Witten.  I think hock can be similar which has me wondering why I still prefer fant.  Just a feeling I guess.

Earlier today I heard McShay speculating that Fant will be a 1st round pick.

Even if Hockenson is drafted first as long as it's close I would prefer Fant.

Lot of similarities between Fant and Dustin Keller.  Couple of questions. (1) Based upon the small sample size, how good or great would Keller's career have been had it not been ended by a knee injury?  (2) Does Fant have characteristics that separate him from Keller?

It's a faint memory, but I think Keller was destined for a C+/B- career before the injury.  This was before the days of premium TE leagues, but I think Fant is a solid B from a rookie draft ranking perspective, and could rise depending on landing spot.  As an owner of 1.05 in premium TE he's on my mind, but it would take an extraordinary situation for me to draft him there. 

Users who are viewing this thread