What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Auction advice - 1st nomination (1 Viewer)

Who am I?

Footballguy
20+ year auction league. $200 cap. Allowed to keep up to two keepers for one year. 

This year I am keeping Andrews for $15 and Robinson for $7.

Here is the scenario I want to bring up for discussion.  

As defending champion, I will be nominating the first player. Historically, the first player I throw out is a player I do not want, but I know will go for a high dollar amount. However, also historically, the first top tier RB nominated almost always has gone for below value. This year I want Taylor. I am tempted to throw him out first and hope for value, but my concern is somebody will overpay since everyone is loaded. At the same time, if I allow another owner to throw him out after the market has been set, he will almost for sure go for an amount over his value.

Those with plenty of auction experience understand what I am trying to say. Any thoughts? 

20+ year auction league. $200 cap. Allowed to keep up to two keepers for one year. 

As defending champion, I will be nominating the first player. Historically, the first player I throw out is a player I do not want, but I know will go for a high dollar amount. However, also historically, the first top tier RB nominated almost always has gone for below value. This year I want Taylor. I am tempted to throw him out first and hope for value, but my concern is somebody will overpay since everyone is loaded. At the same time, if I allow another owner to throw him out after the market has been set, he will almost for sure go for an amount over his value.

Those with plenty of auction experience understand what I am trying to say. Any thoughts? 
I'd prefer to throw out a guy I do not want and let money get spent on a guy I don't want - although I would expect Taylor to be called out fairly shortly after so not sure it matters that much.

If you don't throw out Taylor, the first guy who doesn't want him will throw him out. He's going out quick either way, you may as well put him out there, and know right away if you have him or not. 

I want Taylor. I am tempted to throw him out first and hope for value, but my concern is somebody will overpay since everyone is loaded.

This sounds like a win-win scenario to me.  You implied, historically, the first nomination goes for value as the market is still being set.  If Talyor is your target, nominate him.  If the price goes above where you are comfortable, then you believe someone has overpaid and you have used up someone's cap.  And as others have stated, he is going to be in the first set of nominations for sure.

Do you have the historical data from your league?  Or is this anecdotal that the first nom goes for value? 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't throw out Taylor, the first guy who doesn't want him will throw him out. He's going out quick either way, you may as well put him out there, and know right away if you have him or not. 
I agree.

You sound like you're in pretty good shape money wise with your keepers, so you might as well take the gamble. In my experience,  early on, people might drop out just because they think he'll go higher than he actually does. A few years ago i stole DeAndre Hopkins and Michael Thomas with the first two nominations because people thought they would go for more than they were prepared to pay and they wanted to save for the stud RBs. 

This sounds like a win-win scenario to me.  You implied, historically, the first nomination goes for value as the market is still being set.  If Talyor is your target, nominate him.  If the price goes above where you are comfortable, then you believe someone has overpaid and you have used up someone's cap.  And as others have stated, he is going to be in the first set of nominations for sure.

Do you have the historical data from your league?  Or is this anecdotal that the first nom goes for value? 

You may be 100% correct here. I have a lot of data going back to 2000. 

When I joined the league, I was very aggressive and won my first two years. I think others caught on and became more aggressive. When that happened, early nominees went ABOVE value and I slowly became a more conservative bidder. More recently I have noticed the first of the tier 1 RB's has gone for below value. You think the bar was set only to realize other RB's in that tier went for more. Especially when you're stuck bidding on the last of the tier.....an auction 101 no-no.

So I think the chance might be there to get Taylor at or even below value. But, like I said, I'm afraid it will backfire.     

I agree.

You sound like you're in pretty good shape money wise with your keepers, so you might as well take the gamble. In my experience,  early on, people might drop out just because they think he'll go higher than he actually does. A few years ago i stole DeAndre Hopkins and Michael Thomas with the first two nominations because people thought they would go for more than they were prepared to pay and they wanted to save for the stud RBs. 

My goal is to snag Taylor and then sneak in a WR1 for good value. I would then have the #1RB, a solid WR1, the #1 TE (my opinion) and a great value at my WR2 with Robinson.

I can always grab a QB cheap (last year got Hurts for $5) and fill my RB2 with whomever provides the best value of the "dead zone" RB's.

I'm a big believer in nominating guys I don't want when people have most of their money, and nominating guys I do want after everyone has spent most of it.  

Even if Taylor is the 2nd nominated player--someone already spent money on the guy you nominated 1st.  You'll likely have less competition for Taylor by not nominating him #1 overall. I guess it's possible 1 guy wants to go all in on the 1st 2 guys nominated, but unlikely.

I agree with earlier guys seem to be better values and then as everyone gets their rhythm the prices go up and then back down as money goes away.  All it takes is one guy to drive up a price but usually that doesn't happen on the guy right out of the gate.  There is also something to be said for having the guy you want most go first so you know exactly what it takes to get him and you don't have to "save" money as the auction goes along waiting for the nomination of the guy you want.  Sometimes it's just better to go first and then you can plan the rest of your auction because you know what you spent (or didn't spend).   

I always mix up my nominations so my leaguemates don't have a read on me.  I think your first nomination really depends on who is being kept, since usually the last player in a tier is usually overpriced.  If Taylor is a only top tier RB available, it really doesn't matter if you nominate him or not.....he's going to be one of first 5 nominations in literally every draft.....and he going to be bid up pretty high.

The key is to have a reason why you're nominating a player, and it's for the goal of maximizing value for your team.

You mention setting the market with the first nomination. I like that.  So you can go many different directions.  Here is an example......You say you want a cheap QB.....I usually go cheap at QB in start 1 QB auctions.  So I like my first nomination to be a mid range QB that I really like and try and steal him at a discount.  If I pay full market, that's fine since my value is higher than market, plus it "sets" the market for QBs ranked higher.  You can do this at other positions as well.

A little off topic but how do most leagues set the nomination order?  The OP has to go first because he won the previous year.  Is that a common approach?  Who goes next the guy that won the first bid or is it a set order?  Do you keep the same order for every "round" or does it change?

Since we have a hybrid auction/draft in our dynasty league not everyone participates in the auction.  Some people may not have money or draft picks (required to obtain a player) so they can't participate.  Because of this we pull numbers out of hat to set the nomination order.  We do five different "rounds" of nomination order and then recycle if we need more rounds.  We also allow two free passes and if you pass a 3rd time you are out of the auction regardless of if you have money left or not.  So this adds a bit more strategy as things go.  For example, as teams fall out of the auction due to lack of money or choice it becomes a nomination game as you want your guy but you aren't sure if the other guy (s) do too so do you throw him out, pass (if  you can) or put out a guy you think the other guy wants only to then be stuck with him because he doesn't want him.  Another twist is if everyone passes in a particular round the auction is now over and we go to the draft and all the players left now fall to the draft.  If someone has a ton of money and is expecting to get a few more players in auction and all of a sudden it is over the guy with first pick may be readjusting his plans as a stud just fell into the draft.  Rookies are only draft eligible and cannot be auctioned.  The auction is for players that were on a roster at any point the previous season but were not kept as one of a teams 15 freezes (out of 45 roster spots, Full IDP, SF).  

Sorry for the rambling but I wanted to put some context as to why the nomination order is critical to strategy sometimes.  

good topic here. for additional consideration, who are the top 5ish talents available since there are keepers in the league? i agree with the strategy throw out the high value guy I don't want first, but in my experience that first nomination logic only works if there are other players available of equal perceived value at RB.

I agree with earlier guys seem to be better values and then as everyone gets their rhythm the prices go up and then back down as money goes away.  All it takes is one guy to drive up a price but usually that doesn't happen on the guy right out of the gate.  There is also something to be said for having the guy you want most go first so you know exactly what it takes to get him and you don't have to "save" money as the auction goes along waiting for the nomination of the guy you want.  Sometimes it's just better to go first and then you can plan the rest of your auction because you know what you spent (or didn't spend).   
If the OP has a guy that he really wants, it's a good strategy to nominate him right away, so that if he doesn't win the player, he can pivot to another strategy quickly.  I do think Taylor is a kind of an exception, since Taylor is going to be nominate early.

If the OP has a guy that he really wants, it's a good strategy to nominate him right away, so that if he doesn't win the player, he can pivot to another strategy quickly.  I do think Taylor is a kind of an exception, since Taylor is going to be nominate early.
He will be nominated early for sure.  But by being the first guy he doesn't have to "save" money even for 1 or 2 other players going off the board.  The thing I hate most is saving money for a guy I want only to see two or three guys go insanely cheap and I didn't bid because I want to make sure I have enough for player X.  But then Player X gets nominated and some other yahoo bids him up so far I don't want that price either.   I much rather have my guy go out first so I know where I stand (when it's a guy like Taylor).  

good topic here. for additional consideration, who are the top 5ish talents available since there are keepers in the league? i agree with the strategy throw out the high value guy I don't want first, but in my experience that first nomination logic only works if there are other players available of equal perceived value at RB.
That is unknown at this time. I only know Taylor CAN'T be kept this year. Although, after looking over the rosters, I tend to think some of the higher WR's (Kupp, Chase, JJ, etc) will be kept because they have good values assigned to them. Most of the top RB's have high values carrying over. So I don't see many being kept from last year. 

He will be nominated early for sure.  But by being the first guy he doesn't have to "save" money even for 1 or 2 other players going off the board.  The thing I hate most is saving money for a guy I want only to see two or three guys go insanely cheap and I didn't bid because I want to make sure I have enough for player X.  But then Player X gets nominated and some other yahoo bids him up so far I don't want that price either.   I much rather have my guy go out first so I know where I stand (when it's a guy like Taylor).  

This is exactly my thoughts. And your scenario happens to all of us. 

The worst feeling is passing on a whole tier of players to wait to bid for "your guy" so (some) people have less money and then he goes for more than you're willing to spend anyway.  Then you've already missed out on some alternate options.  It's probably better for your strategy to know in advance instead of waiting and hoping you save a few dollars.

My suggestion is to throw him out first with the most (or close to it) you're willing to pay for him, especially if there's a set bid clock.  With being the first guy up, people aren't going to be quite awake / into the whole auction yet and may be more hesitant to bid up a big number seconds into the auction.

Sounds like you've had better success being aggressive. So be aggressive. Throw Taylor out and either grab him for value or slightly above OR let somebody else vastly overpay. 

Absolutely throw out a guy you DO want with the first nomination.  People will be more likely to be hesitant that early, and it also has the benefit of clarifying your strategy as soon as possible.   If you get the player, you have a clear path to building out the remainder of your team.  If you don't get him, you have the option to go to plan B early enough to make it work.  

If I were in this situation, I would be throwing out Kelce.  People will be hesitant to bid on a TE before the stud RB and WRs so there may be value.  Getting Kelce at a good value gives you a huge leg up and having him nominated first lets me figure out from the get go if that's the player I'm building around of if I need to focus my money elsewhere.

Gally, I agree with you in principle, but it doesn't really apply here since OP has $178 going into the draft.  He is not going to have a budget issue when Taylor goes up for bid.

But there is no issue with just nominating Taylor first.  I am just saying that OP has the option of doing something else with his first nomination and still have the chance of getting Taylor.  I don't think the winning bid is going to change much if OP nominates Taylor first or if he gets nominated a few players later.

Absolutely throw out a guy you DO want with the first nomination.  People will be more likely to be hesitant that early, and it also has the benefit of clarifying your strategy as soon as possible.   If you get the player, you have a clear path to building out the remainder of your team.  If you don't get him, you have the option to go to plan B early enough to make it work.  

If I were in this situation, I would be throwing out Kelce.  People will be hesitant to bid on a TE before the stud RB and WRs so there may be value.  Getting Kelce at a good value gives you a huge leg up and having him nominated first lets me figure out from the get go if that's the player I'm building around of if I need to focus my money elsewhere.

OP is keeping Andrews

Gally, I agree with you in principle, but it doesn't really apply here since OP has $178 going into the draft.  He is not going to have a budget issue when Taylor goes up for bid.

But there is no issue with just nominating Taylor first.  I am just saying that OP has the option of doing something else with his first nomination and still have the chance of getting Taylor.  I don't think the winning bid is going to change much if OP nominates Taylor first or if he gets nominated a few players later.
He may not have a budget issue per se but he may miss out on a couple deals in the three or four players thrown out before him because he is waiting.  It's maybe a marginal issue and may not have a huge affect in the overall draft but it could cause him to miss out on value or two.  

We are splitting hairs for sure here on a guy like Taylor but the concept covers more than just that one player.  I have found I usually end up worse when I am "saving" for a player that is delayed in being thrown out.  

pick the best available kicker. if someone wants to outbid you, then let them
Always a classic.  I like to do this after a few rounds of nominations.  Pick the #1 kicker or #1 defense for $1.  It's a no lose situation.  You either get the best kicker or defense for $1 or someone overbids.

He may not have a budget issue per se but he may miss out on a couple deals in the three or four players thrown out before him because he is waiting.  It's maybe a marginal issue and may not have a huge affect in the overall draft but it could cause him to miss out on value or two.  

We are splitting hairs for sure here on a guy like Taylor but the concept covers more than just that one player.  I have found I usually end up worse when I am "saving" for a player that is delayed in being thrown out.  

Agree. Then you're stuck paying the same amount for Harris as Taylor because you "need" a guy from the first tier. 

This is my alias. I believe some fellow owners may also visit this site. 

That being said, I agree with you that this forum and the paid content should have more auction content. I have voiced that a time or two.
You get what you pay for...Or not I suppose... :unsure:

Normally I would say nominated a top five RB you don't want and wait until Taylor is nominated to make your move.

Keepers being in play changes things slightly. Are more people keeping RBs? Could effect the market.

Really your most valuable tool in an auction is the historic data. It's been the best indicator for me in terms of how tiers are going to be priced, etc.

Normally I would say nominated a top five RB you don't want and wait until Taylor is nominated to make your move.

Keepers being in play changes things slightly. Are more people keeping RBs? Could effect the market.

Really your most valuable tool in an auction is the historic data. It's been the best indicator for me in terms of how tiers are going to be priced, etc.
I think the bolded is true in start from scratch redraft auctions for sure.  It becomes a lot more difficult in keeper leagues where every manager starts with different available dollars year to year.  In those instances it's more beneficial to know the types of players other owners spend on and how they like to configure there teams rather than value data.  That data is too varying in those type of leagues.  

Early draft: There are bargains to be had on top tier names as long as there are other perceived top tier names available.

Mid draft: People will overpay for good but not great players because after these players it's nothing but prayers for starters. Plus people start to notice how much money they have left over that they're not gonna need soon.

Late draft: It's more important who you throw out here than early draft IMO. Funds are running low and there are always a couple of teams still scrambling to fill starting roster spots. You throw out a sleeper you were sure you can have for $1 just to have a couple of dolts come in with $3-$4 bids. Just because they have the funds remaining. Had you not brought up that player, would they even know these players are on the board? I'm just ranting now lol.

I think the bolded is true in start from scratch redraft auctions for sure.  It becomes a lot more difficult in keeper leagues where every manager starts with different available dollars year to year.  In those instances it's more beneficial to know the types of players other owners spend on and how they like to configure there teams rather than value data.  That data is too varying in those type of leagues.  
I disagree. YMMV in how valuable it is, but historic data of your league is typically your best tool going into a draft.

I play in a keeper/auction league and looking back to see how other managers filled their roster versus who was kept and for how much is very useful. There is still going to be clear cut top prices for top guys. Most managers don't typically change their bidding strategies too much. The guy who likes to spread his money around typically isn't suddenly going to be the guy who drops it all on the #1 overall. If that guy isn't keeping an RB and Taylor is out there there's probably a good chance that guy doesn't push the limit of the previous years' top values.

I *love* nominating a premium player first if I get the chance. There is often a discount for those first couple players. And if not so what? Give it a try anyway. 

Also you might consider nominating a different premium piece you want besides Taylor (if such a player exists on your board). 

Been playing the same format for a long time. 

I disagree. YMMV in how valuable it is, but historic data of your league is typically your best tool going into a draft.

I play in a keeper/auction league and looking back to see how other managers filled their roster versus who was kept and for how much is very useful. There is still going to be clear cut top prices for top guys. Most managers don't typically change their bidding strategies too much. The guy who likes to spread his money around typically isn't suddenly going to be the guy who drops it all on the #1 overall. If that guy isn't keeping an RB and Taylor is out there there's probably a good chance that guy doesn't push the limit of the previous years' top values.
I agree that those trends are beneficial.  The caution I was making was for the actual values being used.  That will vary (and sometimes drastically) when not everyone has the same dollars and even varying greatly year to year.   For example, the guy that usually goes top dollar on a stud or two may have done that in his keepers so he doesn't have the money to drive up prices during the auction.  That information is invaluable. 

I think we are on the same page.  Historical data takes all forms.  For redraft auction leagues the winning bids will be consistent for tiers.  For keepers with varying money then owner tendencies will be the important part and actual dollar values may vary.   That was what I was trying to say.  Either way "historical" data is important......you just need to know what data you need to look at.  

As described above, it sucks to lose out on lesser players because you’re waiting on “the one”. To counteract that, I always throw out & buy a lesser “my guy” in case “the one” gets over priced. Why do you need to throw out JT when you know someone else will shortly thereafter?

Kicker advice aside, generally what I try to do is:

- Nominate the players I don't want. If there's a high-level player that I'm not touching with a barge pole, then I'm nominating him and hoping people go crazy. For me this season I'm looking at CMC, Deebo and Lendog from a quick look at top 20 ADP, but this list is clearly going to differ from player to player

- Nominate players who will typically be in the flex position that I'm indifferent on. If selected early, they typically go for more money than comparable talent later on, so if things take off, we're good with it, if we can get in on the cheap, that's fine as well. In my experience this also works well for QB's who are in the committee range as well as RB/WR options. Some names I like this season are Carr, Lance and Cousins at QB, RB's such as Pollard, Sanders, CEH, Hunt and the New England backfield, and then Burks, Claypool, Bateman, Juju, Kirk and a lot of the second year guys at WR

- Players that are going to force the hand of someone. If there's one RB left at a position in a given tier and a certain draftee hasn't picked any yet, you may be able to get him to commit more of his budget than he wants for fear of missing the boat at a position. This works particularly well in a situation where we're into a second tier of player that takes us down to whatever RB number would be a second RB for someone. Say it's a 12 team league, there looks to be roughly eight backs who are a bit above the rest then a tier break, then maybe another 6-8 in a next tier. Forcing the last player of tier 1 out isn't going to tip the needle - everyone knows that there's going to be at least four teams who aren't getting one of those elite backs, possibly more if someone goes real heavy spending on RB early. But if there's still a team or two that hasn't taken a first RB when the second tier is close to being drained, then you're saying take this back right now or effectively go zero-RB.

- Grab an elite WR. You can usually get some sort of WR3 by committee for $1 late in a draft, so if you can lock up one guy who's set and forget, then you can get away more with playing a committee to fill the rest of the spot and then put your money into other positions. If I can get, say, Chase, then I'm happy to wait forever the look to grab some combination of Mooney, DK, Renfrow, Woods, your rookie of choice, maybe a stash like Hopkins for very little cash which should give you great possibilities to rotate

Every nomination (first or otherwise) is the highest priced player I don't want.

Eliminate dollars competing for players I do want.

I love the Kicker play until you finally get one for 1$. There is a guy in my league that does this every year. 

I also like nominating “good” players near the max price I’m willing to pay upfront. I’ll do this a couple of times just to throw the bidders off a bit. Honestly it tends to lead to a slightly more expensive player for another league mate. 

All auctions are different, but typically there's a u-shaped price curve within the tiers.  If you can achieve the very difficult task of getting guys at the price ebb, you're going to be way ahead (of the curve, haha).

I would nominate him early and especially if he’s the first big rb off the board.  I would have a plan for how much you are willing to spend and the next player in that price tier you want to take.   Like others have said, in my experience the first round of nominations ends with a collective “I cannot believe you got X player for Y price.”  Every year it happens bc people are holding onto that money. You might be able to get him at cost or a small discount here which is good.  If Taylor goes for $10 over your max, this is good bc they have overpaid and you can adjust your strategy.  Your next guy you want, say CMC, might be a value for you later.

I have also noticed the U effect amongst players in the same tier.  That last rb always goes for the same amount or more than the first couple.  Keep an eye on the U

I don't know where I saw it but someone was saying that they did their auction and noticed that the top-tier guys weren't going for as much as they had in previous years. Others chimed in that they noticed the same.

Well, we did ours last night and count that as +1.

Usually the top names go for $60-70 (out of 200 budget). We do have one keeper we get to roll over and Taylor and CMC were gone (but there are always top tier keepers off the board each year)

Mixon 60
Najee 54
Cook 54
Ekeler 50 (keeper price)
Barkley 45

Adams 52
Lamb 50
Diggs 47

My team:

Kyler (12)
Barkley, Montgomery, Penny, Walker, Cook, Burkhead (45, 20, 16, 7, 5, 1)
Evans, Juju, Mooney, G Davis, Aiyuk, Dotson (28, 16, 14, 10, 9, 2)
Goedert (10)
Browns, Rodrigo (1,1)

Going into my PPR keeper auction tonight with Waddle (8) and Pittman (7). It's an interesting year with only Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill as the two top 10 WRs out there. My strategy is going to be to get two of the top RBs (only Taylor kept). Thinking I'll go upwards of 70 for CMC and hope to pair with Chubb due to his fall in ADP. Maybe end up with something like Cook/Mixon instead. Certainly going to throw Adams out early if I have a pick to soak up money.

Going into my PPR keeper auction tonight with Waddle (8) and Pittman (7). It's an interesting year with only Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill as the two top 10 WRs out there. My strategy is going to be to get two of the top RBs (only Taylor kept). Thinking I'll go upwards of 70 for CMC and hope to pair with Chubb due to his fall in ADP. Maybe end up with something like Cook/Mixon instead. Certainly going to throw Adams out early if I have a pick to soak up money.
Another pretty well executed studs and sleepers strategy. Balked at paying 42 for Chubb, but ended up paying more for Barkley. Mahomes a bit of a splurge but, with very depleted WRs I was interested in, was not going to let him go under 30. A lot of dart throws at WR though, will be a concern season-long.

Mahomes (27)
Mcaffery (64), Barkley (45), Jacobs (16), Herbert (2), Allgeier (1)
Waddle (8), Pittman (7), Godwin (9), Lazard (2), Pickens (2), Olave (1)
Kittle (14)
Hopkins (1)
Denver (1)

I don't know where I saw it but someone was saying that they did their auction and noticed that the top-tier guys weren't going for as much as they had in previous years. Others chimed in that they noticed the same.

Well, we did ours last night and count that as +1.
it was the same in mine a couple of weeks ago. i think it's logical, looking at RB's and QB's for example, until two-three years ago that top tier was very clear cut with a combination of cmc/zeke/cook/kamara etc and rodgers/mahommes, but this year that top tier is not as sure-thing and anyone from the next tier could end up in that range for the season. so much flux at the top that those guys no longer demand the high dollars imo. WR's and TE's look even more muddled.

gonna be a fun year.

Update?

Users who are viewing this thread