What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy football “golf” style? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
 For a couple of years now I have toyed with the idea of starting a local fantasy football league using a”golf“ style approach… 

That is, the lowest score each week wins. 

The rules are pretty simple. Scoring would be the same as any other standard league… The roster requirement would be that your team must be comprised of NFL starters. 

If one of your terrible players gets benched, you would have to drop them and pick up a Player that is on a starting lineup in the NFL. 

I’m not sure if this is a brilliant idea, or the worlds stupidest idea. I do think it would be one hilarious draft, and since most of my friends are willing to bet on just about anything, I’m pretty sure I could get them all in for about 50 bucks a head. 

What do you think of this idea? And for bonus points, do you have any ideas that would contribute towards making this better/funnier/more interesting? 

Has anyone  here ever participated in such a league? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Football Outsiders has a loser league contest like this.

Here are the full scoring rules:

•     1 point for each 20 yards passing
  •     1 point for each 10 yards rushing
  •     1 point for each 10 yards receiving
  •     4 points for each passing TD
  •     6 points for each rushing or receiving TD
  •     2 points for each 2 pt. conversion, passing, rushing, or receiving
  •     -2 points for each fumble or interception
  •     3 points for each field goal made
  •     1 point for each extra point made
  •     -2 points for each missed field goal
  •     -5 points for each missed extra point
Penalties:

•     15 points for any QB who has fewer than 10 passing attempts in a game
  •     15 points for any RB who has fewer than 8 rushing attempts in a game
  •     15 points for any WR who catches fewer than 2 receptions in a game
  •     15 points for any K who makes no attempts because he's been benched for another K

I don't think it would be too much fun trying to figure out players that start the game, but then get limited snaps throughout. 

I don't think it would be too much fun trying to figure out players that start the game, but then get limited snaps throughout. 
 I guess there would have to be a rule about a percentage of playtime. 

League full of second wide receivers and third wide receivers, third down running back’s, etc. 

It would be easier with QB's - awarding INT's 6 points and TD's -2 everything reversed and with passing yards, maybe could like 200 yards to 225 yards 5 points, and then 225-250 3 points and then as it gets higher lower.  I would start around the 200 mark.

Maybe do the same with RB's total yards.  You'd want to establish what a bad game is.   0 yards would be too easy.  Maybe something with YPC.

I wonder if any sites would handle automated scoring, including tracking whether someone "started" or played a certain # or % of snaps. If snap count or percent was available, you could just put in an automatic 20 points if you start someone and they get zero (or too few) snaps.

ETA - I don't see a way to do it with MFL.

I wonder if any sites would handle automated scoring, including tracking whether someone "started" or played a certain # or % of snaps. If snap count or percent was available, you could just put in an automatic 20 points if you start someone and they get zero (or too few) snaps.
 Unfortunately I don’t think so. That would have to be a “honor system“ threshold to maintain with in the league. 

One way to do this would be to award points for yardage but subtract points for TDs.  Then you kind of strike a balance of middle tier guys.

Best play here is to award points for snap count, and subtract for production.  Snap counts ARE readily available within a day or so of a game ending, and so you give incentive to owners to draft guys who actually see the field, rather than guys who get as few snaps as possible.

Say 0.2 per snap, then -1 per fantasy point earned in the usual fashion (ie -.1 per rush yard, -6 for a td, etc.)

One way to do this would be to award points for yardage but subtract points for TDs.  Then you kind strike a balance of middle tier guys.
I think it would be better to have actual yardage and touchdowns with a normal scoring rate… But the idea is to get the least possible so that a lower score would win.

Maybe award a Plus five point bonus for going over 100 yards, and also award on -5 point bonus for the hat trick on fumbles.

Terrance Williams. Especially if snap counts are part of the scoring.
 Only in so far as being a threshold for being able to start a player. I would say they would have to be on the field at least 65% of the teams snaps to qualify as a starter in this format. 

Terrence Williams is probably an awesome first overall. 95% of the snaps, 0% of the production. 

I wonder if any of the systems track drops as a metric… Negative points could be awarded for drops. Which of course in this format is a positive. 

If I were to take an aspect of golf I’d take the match play aspect. You match up with the other team position by position and the winner takes the “hole” just like in golf (except higher score wins). 

I broached this idea back in the Ol Yeller days and got laughed off the forum. Probably rightly so. But the loser league idea of having penalties in place for positional players who don't have enough receptions or rushing/passing attempts makes sense in that format. Still strange, if you're going to work that hard at it, might as well play regular FF.

I broached this idea back in the Ol Yeller days and got laughed off the forum. Probably rightly so. But the loser league idea of having penalties in place for positional players who don't have enough receptions or rushing/passing attempts makes sense in that format. Still strange, if you're going to work that hard at it, might as well play regular FF.
Yeah,  but this is funnier. ;)  

This sounds boring to be honest.  Room full of people doing this type of draft might be fun for a round and then be played out and boring after one round.

@Hot Sauce Guy - I've spent hours in the past trying to come up with a scoring system that would work for this, because of course a cynical ******* like me would.

The problem is that it's almost impossible to come up with a set of numbers that balances across positions - which makes sense because while the positive elements are the same for all positions in FF (yards and TDs), they're different for each position in "worst ball" (passes for QB, rush attempts for RB, targets for receivers, turnovers for everyone).

But hey! If you don't mind just doing a variation on the late, lamented Grantland BQBL and drafting only QBs, I've got a scoring system that'll work for you using just the stats straight from the box score!

Pass Att = 2 / comp = -1 / pass yd = -0.15 / pass TD = -4 / INT = 6

Rush Att = 1 / rush Yd = -0.2 / rush TD = -4 / sack = 1 / fumble lost = 6

Just like in real FF, under this system the lowest-scoring performances (i.e. the best QB play) are close to zero (Brady '17 = 56.8 pts., Deshaun Watson '17 = -11.6 pts.), while LVP DeShone Kizer managed to rack up 362.1 points ... averaging 24.1 ppg.  :lmao:

@Hot Sauce Guy - I've spent hours in the past trying to come up with a scoring system that would work for this, because of course a cynical ******* like me would.

The problem is that it's almost impossible to come up with a set of numbers that balances across positions - which makes sense because while the positive elements are the same for all positions in FF (yards and TDs), they're different for each position in "worst ball" (passes for QB, rush attempts for RB, targets for receivers, turnovers for everyone).

But hey! If you don't mind just doing a variation on the late, lamented Grantland BQBL and drafting only QBs, I've got a scoring system that'll work for you using just the stats straight from the box score!

Pass Att = 2 / comp = -1 / pass yd = -0.15 / pass TD = -4 / INT = 6

Rush Att = 1 / rush Yd = -0.2 / rush TD = -4 / sack = 1 / fumble lost = 6

Just like in real FF, under this system the lowest-scoring performances (i.e. the best QB play) are close to zero (Brady '17 = 56.8 pts., Deshaun Watson '17 = -11.6 pts.), while LVP DeShone Kizer managed to rack up 362.1 points ... averaging 24.1 ppg.  :lmao:
Good start, but you need to reward incompletions too.

I suggest 3/comp, -1/attempt, then the rest of your QB scoring works fine as is.

Users who are viewing this thread