What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

fantasy league hosts (1 Viewer)

~OMM~

Footballguy
First off, I did a search and could not get any results. My situation is I am trying to persuade a commish that mfl.com is the optimum choice in league hosts while he seems convinced cbssportline is better even though twice as much $ apparently.

I have never played in a league on cbs, but he has. Yet, I have played in a league on mfl and he has not. Besides the massive price differential could any people experienced with both sites give me their input on which site has the best features or if there is some other even better host feel free to list them as well. I thought I had read a longer post in these forums about a year ago on this matter but once again my search came up with no results and my memory is not that great. Thanks for your time ~OMM~

1) Fanball

2) MFL

3) CBS

in that order. CBS is the most expensive of the group. MFL is the cheapest. Fanball seems, to me, to be the best of the group.

We are probably going to get 45 pages of people pimping their favorite. But I prefer Fanball.

I thought CBS sportsline sucked. All I heard was other people complaining about it last season.

I have used Fanball for about 6 years now and I have always been a big supporter of them but the site crashed several times last season at really bad times.....like 15 minutes before game time more than once. If you do use fanball, make sure you use Fanball commish, not exit 42. Exit 42 is ok for leagues with people who are just learning but it allows for no personalization of the rules, scoring or rosters.

I never really liked MFL just because it wasn't as user friendly as fanball.

fanstar.com is pretty good. I have only used CBS other than fanstar and it's every bit as good as CBS for cheaper.

I have played in a variety of leagues using a wide variety of services. The major issue is how the commissioner sets up the site. There are several benefits of the Commish knowing the site software.

Things I look for in a league host:

Ease of use

Friendly customizations (color, format and scoring are just part of this)

Carry over from year to year

Technical Support

Access from non-normal PC (travel issues for owners)

Of these things, I have found the best packages I have used:

MFL

RT Sports

XPerts

Worst Experiences:

Yahoo

CBS

(and Sandbox if it still exists!)

Edit: I have never used Fanstar or Fanball.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Fanball for about 6 years now and I have always been a big supporter of them but the site crashed several times last season at really bad times.....like 15 minutes before game time more than once. If you do use fanball, make sure you use Fanball commish, not exit 42. Exit 42 is ok for leagues with people who are just learning but it allows for no personalization of the rules, scoring or rosters.
This is right on, IMO. I was introduced to FF through a Salary Cap Game on a local radio station's website halfway through the 99 season. I found fanball's Exit42 in 2000 and played for free. Formed a league with some buddy's in 2001, and things were great. However, as each league member gained expereince, the rumblings against Exit42 grew... they want more flexibility in the rules, especially with end of the year transactions (FA and Trade deadlines seem REALLY early on EXIT 42).Now, as commish, I need to find a new service for next season, and with 4 others in my league using Yahoo for different leagues, we might go there...they seem to like it.

Any other thoughts on yahoo?

This is right on, IMO. I was introduced to FF through a Salary Cap Game on a local radio station's website halfway through the 99 season. I found fanball's Exit42 in 2000 and played for free. Formed a league with some buddy's in 2001, and things were great. However, as each league member gained expereince, the rumblings against Exit42 grew... they want more flexibility in the rules, especially with end of the year transactions (FA and Trade deadlines seem REALLY early on EXIT 42).Now, as commish, I need to find a new service for next season, and with 4 others in my league using Yahoo for different leagues, we might go there...they seem to like it.

Fanball has Fanball Commish where you have total control over the league, rosters, rules, etc. It is basically the same cost as the Exit 42 league except you pay as a league and not individually. It pretty much lets you control and monitor every aspect of a league. I have never been a fan of Yahoo. It always seemed a little "bush" league to me. Just my opinion though, I only played one season there and I just didn't like it. the league was free but everything extra ended up costing more money.

I will throw my hat in the ring for MFL also. I've used ESPN and did a test run at CBS and IMO there is no comparison, especially when you consider the price difference. MFL allows much more customization when it comes to setting up the league and the appearance of the league and they have great customer service. More importantly, they are always looking for input and trying to make their product better. We have only done one full season at MFL and they have already added several major features. This is key in my book.

I like yahoo. It's free. Something new and improved every year. IDP would be better if broken down from DB DL D to S, CB, LB, DL or more. Live scoring for about 10 bucks a la carte would be nicer if it was free. Not everybody in my league wants it though.

I can only speak from my experience, but here goes: I've used CBS, ESPN, Yahoo, and MFL. CBS is the best of the commercial sites, but as long as your commish is halfway decent with a computer, he can make a much better league w/ mfl than CBS. If he doesn't like to do anything at all, CBS would be better for him, but as you pointed out, more expensive. The league that started my addiction just switched this year to MFL and everyone seems to like it so far, even the couple guys that aren't happy if they're not #####ing about something.

In this order:

MFL

CBS

ESPN

Yahoo

I've tried yahoo a few times, but I always end up disappointed with them. maybe their pay stuff is better, but if I'm going to pay, there are much better sites out there

I'm commish of a 12 team dynasty league. I'm going into my 4th year with Fanball.com. I've used Yahoo, RT Sports, CBS, & tried Xpert Leagues. As far as ease of use, page layout, and commish control, fanball is superior IMO. Plus you have the option of using player contracts, player salarys, and blind bidding on free agents. The one downfall Fanball has is they tend to overhype enhancements that take for ever to materalize. Still, even with that, the existing features offer everything and more you need to run a great league.

I will admit I am not very experienced with doing searches at this website and the other times I have tried never been very satisfied with the results. Then again, I have heard other ppl say the search function is not very good for some reason...so for you to throw up your cute little BS sign and label me a liar, well that is unfair. As I did punch in mfl and myfantasyleague into the stupid search section. Anyhow if you would like to drop me a pm and give me some search pointers that would be very kind of you, or you can just go around and accuse ppl of being liars all the time I suppose. Thanks to all the other ppl that had some great input and advice for me and my commish of a local redraft I have played in since 1999. Hopefully it helps more than just me and I did not clog up the precious shark pool too much. ~OMM~

<search tips hijack>

I wasn't trying to insult you with the :bs: smiley...was only saying that a proper search will turn up oodles of results on the topic of hosting services...

The reason searching for MFL won't work is because the site limits searches to 4 letter words or more...the reason searching for myfantasyleague won't always work is because it appears that searches only match whole words...

So try searching for terms with wildcards like *myfantasy*

Or search for terms that will likely show up in related posts in similar threads of interest like fanball or rtsports

Finally cut down on the noise by requiring each term with "+"...I found those threads I provided for you with searches like:+host* +dynasty

+fanball* +*myfantasy*

+sportsline* +myfantasy*

And for what its worth, the reason I knew there were so many threads is I have replied to this request at least a dozen times over the last few years...our league uses MFL, link is in my sig...

HTH

</search tips hijack>

One of the things I have found with MFL is it seems feedback is based on how savvy your commish is with designing the website.

Two extremes:

1. http://football12.myfantasyleague.com/2005/home/29232

2. http://football31.myfantasyleague.com/2005/home/14884
That's because Mr B. Rules! :thumbup:
WOW Mr. B is the man.Very Nice site.
Many examples of FBG MFL sites: Post your Myfantasyleague's hereAnd the complete list of all MFL sites:MFL Find a League

1) Fanball

2) MFL

3) CBS

in that order. CBS is the most expensive of the group. MFL is the cheapest. Fanball seems, to me, to be the best of the group.

We are probably going to get 45 pages of people pimping their favorite. But I prefer Fanball.
PLUS: Fanball has a nice balance of customizability and affordability. Reliability issues with the core league websites seem no better/worse than other offeringsMINUS: Their Live Scoring engine was an absolute joke last year. Defensive scoring was a big problem all the way up to Week 11 or so. If (accurate) Live Scoring is an important feature for your league, I would recommend looking elsewhere--at least until Fanball proves that they have their house in order.

MISCELLANEOUS: Seems that you may be able get all of the features that Fanball offers over at AOL for *free*. Same webpage layout, same features (polls, message board, etc.), same (sort of crappy) Live Scoring. Don't know if they will do this again this year, but Fanball basically contracted their league management engine over to AOL (the AOL site even said "powered by Fanball"). So while Fanball was charging $60/league, AOL was offering the same product for free. Just FYI.

Have used MFL, CBS, RTsports, & Yahoo in the past. I rank them as follows:

MFL - The best by far imo.

CBS - Decent, but way overpriced

Yahoo - Haven't used for years, but they were usable.

RTsports - Used last year for first time and would rather not ever use again.

I currently use FFLM for my local league. :thumbup:

I've used MFL, XPertsports, and YahooPremium - have not used CBS.

MFL is full-featured, relatively inexpensive, and relieable. The only negative, in my humble opinion, is the web page layout. Looks 10 years out of date. I know the layout can be customized, but seriously, who wants to mess with that? I've never commished a league at MFL, and I have never had any other reason to contact support.

XPerts too is full-featured, relatively inexpensive and reliable. I am a fan of the site layout, however, it takes a while to absorb it all and navigate it with ease. Support was excellent the year I commished a league there. Live scoring was a bit of a headache, but that was a common problem for many league sites in 2004.

I used Yahoo Premium last year. Reliability and site layout are excellent. The live scoring presentation was stellar - best I've seen. Negatives - $125 per league, limited configurability (cannot accomodate trading draft picks, commish cannot control the draft once it begins). As for support, well, it's Yahoo (you get what you pay for - at least in the free leagues).

Must mention FoxSports here too. I Tried to take advantage of their free site last year. Had to abandon it because they simply could not make the site work. I could have done better with a pad and pencil.

ETA: The unlimited, free survivor drafts at XpertSports are great time-sinks during the dog days of summer.

Count me as another vote for MFL. I'm not sure how anyone can bad mouth them. They have been nothing but solid. Interface is a bit boring as someone mentioned in a previous post.

I was wondering if anyone knows about crossover fantasy football. Someone bragged about that site last year. And its only $25. Here is a link, but I know nothing about it...

crossover

I've never done a MFL league....CBS is ok......I was in a Scoresheet league last year.....outstanding league....lots of fun.

1) Fanball

2) MFL

3) CBS

I have played at all three and that is my voting order as well1) Fanball

2) MFL

3) CBS

If you really want to make Fanball kick some @R$E, you have to go with the personalized awards option! MFL has a lot of freedom, but still needs some work. CBS has very little freedom, but isn't that bad. However, for the money, I would go with another option.

I have played on league with CBS, Yahoo, MFL and RTSports.

CBS is flashy and very usable but customer service sucks and costs to much.

Yahoo - just don't like it. The free part is OK but I like league history and you can't do that. Plus their "Plus" package cost almost as much as CBS.

MFL - interface just plain sucks. I will never play in another league on this site.

For me, RTSports is the best. I have run my own leagues there for 5 years. They have great customer service, the interface is easy to use and they are very responsive to our needs. They ask us for our ideas each year and they include our updates each year. The only problem is that the draft interface, while useable, is a little weak. Hopefully they will address that this year. Cost is very reasonable and you get a discount for returning.

You have total control as the commissioner. If they don't have something you want, just ask.

Right now best for redraft and keeper but is actively trying to upgrade for auction leagues and dynasty leagues.

No, I don't work for them but I really like the site.

Thanks again for all the honest opinions and input. Sure is a lot of people that like different sites for different reasons. Anyhow, hopefully this local league will decide on a good option w/o paying 2 much $. I liked MFL the 2 seasons the online league I played in used it and then they made us switch to xpert which was ok, but not as good IMO. Lots of other ppl complained about the league going from mfl to xpert, but oh well.

I've played in leagues on MFL, Sportsline, and Yahoo. I didn't mind the Yahoo one, but it was only the free version and it wasn't very customizable. MFL is superior IMO. Sportsline has been improving since we started using it, but MFL has a lot more features. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread