What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Phrases and Cliches You're Over (1 Viewer)

Yep. Slept today. Have to be up for a seven o'clock meeting, so we'll see how this goes. Watching In The Heat of The Night. Listening to Rotounderworld podcast.  Yourself? 
I’ll have to check that out when I get in, I have about 3 hours in the morning by myself, it’s highly productive (for my fantasy teams.)

Brilliant thread!

The cliches I hate are those ridiculous player nicknames like JStew or Arob. Some of them I've literally thought...I have no idea who he is talking about.

The other phrase that is a joke....that a player "is a winner". It pretty much just screams, I have no analysis or anything intelligent to say.  The "winners" from the past that immediately come to mind are Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure it’s a fantasy cliche ... actually it’s not!

but...

john Gruden’s “Knock on wood if you’re with me, man” is ####ing so gwop damned annoying.
Can anyone break that down?  I also watched the same or similar clip and was annoyed almost from the get-go    Its like after 45 minutes of instruction?  One should have a 15 min break...  I luv me some Chucky   But it's like he had more chance of hypnotizing those poor guys

Brilliant thread!

The cliches I hate are those ridiculous player nicknames like JStew or Arob. Some of them I've literally thought...I have no idea who he is talking about.

The other phrase that is a joke....that a player "is a winner". It pretty much just screams, I have no analysis or anything intelligent to say.  The "winners" from the past that immediately come to mind are Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel 🤣
https://youtu.be/B4Km5OKZlp0

“He’s slow, but he plays a lot faster with the ball in his hands” 

I’ve always been perplexed by this one. I’m sure I’ve said it myself. 

It must be an illusion, because I’m pretty sure pigskin isn’t a propulsion unit, and it’s simply not physically possible to be faster than one is.

That player literally has the exact same speed whether he has the ball in his hands or not. 

“He’s slow, but he plays a lot faster with the ball in his hands” 

I’ve always been perplexed by this one. I’m sure I’ve said it myself. 

It must be an illusion, because I’m pretty sure pigskin isn’t a propulsion unit, and it’s simply not physically possible to be faster than one is.

That player literally has the exact same speed whether he has the ball in his hands or not. 
I recall a playground game with a politically incorrect name in which this exact behavior could be reliably and reproducibly observed.

Whoever had the ball ran all out as hard as they could, while the non-ballcarriers tended to move more deliberately, sprinting only in spurts.  Possession changed frequently, leading to the typical player moving much “faster with the ball in his hands.”

😛

Here’s a newer term that really annoys the piss out of me. 

“Non-zero chance” 

Why can’t it just be a “slight” chance? Easier to type too!!

I mean, if you want to get really pedantic, it’s impossible not to be slower with the ball in your hands. 

I’d bet my mortgage Usain Bolt couldn’t run a 9.59 100m with a leather spheroid tucked under one arm, y’know?

I mean, if you want to get really pedantic, it’s impossible not to be slower with the ball in your hands. 

I’d bet my mortgage Usain Bolt couldn’t run a 9.59 100m with a leather spheroid tucked under one arm, y’know?
I was going to go here and stopped typing in the middle of it. I think you're right. 

Would you make the same bet if a fast predatory animal was chasing him down?  

Rhythmdoctor said:
Would you make the same bet if a fast predatory animal was chasing him down?  
As soon as they introduce “cheetahs on the field” in NFL games, and make the football out of raw zebra meat, I’ll believe players are actually faster with the ball in their hands.

until then... 😴 

"... it's just a p l o y to motivate Tatum Bell"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's so bad that that when I enter it correctly, the system recognizes it as....

"... it's just a :yawn:"   🤣

So many of the good ones are already taken but I finally found one that I haven't seen on here. I'm sick of hearing about a guy having a high motor. 

And flier. It works but I hear it or read it a billion times.

And next time you ask for advice don't be such a ##### when people give it to you.
This will always be a pet peeve of mine. 

Maybe you don’t like the answer, but you asked the question so say “thanks” when someone takes the time to answer.

That’s just good manners. 

not a fantasy phrase, but as someone living in the path of hurricanes ( west palm beach) I'm so *@#$@ sick of hearing the phrase 'hunker down'  what does that even mean? what kind of a word is 'hunker'?? lol

2nd dumbest phrase of all time is godspeed no idea what it means or why people say it how stupid of a phrase is this jeez. or why the capitalize the word 'god'. apparently it only applies to those who go supersonic. :rollseyes:

football phrases:

he runs high.

or 'he's on the small side( (at 5'8 200' ( d. thompson) but people say A. Jones is a top 12 RB who'll destroy the NFC North ( he's 5'8,205lbs - identical body composition as DT yet 5lbs heavier and no one mentions his size) . J. charles was 199 lbs i don't ever remember someone saying 'hey ya know jamaal is skinny, too small to be an every down back' .classic stuff.

good vision and can stop on a dime. do football coaches throw dimes on the field and tell players to stop when they hit one and don't go over it or you'll do 50 push-ups?!  I get the Marines might do that, but not The U , or Fla. 

throws his WR 'open' . never ever has that phrase been used with Tom Brady.  ever. but lesser QBs, yes.why is that?  how do you throw a WR 'open' he either breaks free or he doesn't has nothing to do with your pass.

checks all the boxes. 

circle the wagons - bills reference ala chris berman

not a fantasy phrase, but as someone living in the path of hurricanes ( west palm beach) I'm so *@#$@ sick of hearing the phrase 'hunker down'  what does that even mean? what kind of a word is 'hunker'?? lol

2nd dumbest phrase of all time is godspeed no idea what it means or why people say it how stupid of a phrase is this jeez. or why the capitalize the word 'god'. apparently it only applies to those who go supersonic. :rollseyes:
Hunker (verb)

1) to squat on one's heels (often followed by down)

2) to hunch

3) to hide, hide out, or take shelter (usually followed by down)

4) to hold resolutely or stubbornly to a policy, opinion, etc., when confronted by criticism, opposition, or unfavorable circumstances (usually followed by down)

Godspeed

Middle English: from God speed you ‘may God help you prosper’.

Thanks for the interesting questions.  Well worth the research.  

The capialization of God is traditional, in Christian regions, as a sign of respect.  By comparison, in Jewish tradition one never writes the name of God, leading to it appearing in some texts as g-d instead.  As our society transistioned from primarily Christian to primarily secular, this convention has been dropped from style guides.

Im just glad that the fantasy community has mostly stopped referring to players as “beasts”

It started out “ok” ... but then it went too far, some dorks were referring to the likes of Danny Woodhead or Justin Foresett as being “beasts” after a decent showing.

”oh ya brah, so n so is a beast!!!”

shush it up, guy.

Im just glad that the fantasy community has mostly stopped referring to players as “beasts”

It started out “ok” ... but then it went too far, some dorks were referring to the likes of Danny Woodhead or Justin Foresett as being “beasts” after a decent showing.

”oh ya brah, so n so is a beast!!!”

shush it up, guy.
IDP leagues get a waiver for this during the draft. Just sayin. “Monster” too. 

;)  

League winner is a silly saying. There’s no single player that’s winning someone a league. Also the whole idea of you can’t win your league in the first round but you can lose it. That’s just not true.
*cough* Larry Johnson the year Priest went down *cough* 

I also find irritating the saying "I have this guy in my lineup, so he's not going to play well today." Or "I'm playing against him so he's going to go off for sure."

A new one I discovered, not so much here, is when someone asks about a trade and someone says "smash accept" meaning you should have accepted this trade already it's too good to be true.

Seeing “bragging, venting, crowing, grieving...” at the top of the SP all offseason is annoying.

OTOH, :ptts:  needs a revival.

“BOOM!”

(please note: I will continue to say, write and do interpretive dance of “BOOM!” even though it’s a cliche that I’m over.

BOOM! 

Users who are viewing this thread