What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy winners and losers post-draft (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on AJ Green's value.

I think he's a winner. Green seemed like he got a ton of attention from defenses. Hopefully with Eifert and two TE sets, it takes some focus away from him.
I agree that Green should be a slight winner. I think the offense as a whole is going to benefit with the exception of Gresham.
Maybe they deal Gresham today for a 4th or 5th rd pick?

I agree Dalton, and Chris Johnson should be in the winners category.
>

I really like Hopkins but I'm afraid he tops out as a low WR2 in that offense until AJ retires.

Ponder is certainly a winner.
Hopkins was described tonight by one analyst as being "pro-ready" and landing into a situation where he was going to have an opportunity to see a large number of snaps right away from day one on a good offensive team. Almost ideal from a fantasy football perspective.
:goodposting: It's a great situation IMO. I'm not a huge fan of Hopkins but for WR's I don't think there's much better as far as situation goes besides New England. Only an older WR1 in the way. A solid offense that has an established running game. A QB that can put it out there. I'm still interested where the other WR's end up, but I like it for him.
The older WR happens to be a future HOF'er who is only 32 this year. The best season by the Texans #2 receiver was Kevin Walter with 60/899/8. Schaub isn't suddenly going to be a passing machine in this offense. As a guy that's going to go in the top 5 picks I don't think there's enough upside there unless AJ is injured.
Hopkins is far more talented than Walter, who's just "a guy." I'm not saying Hopkins will be the OROY but he could have landed in a far worse situation.
The problem is, they've been content with 'a guy' for a while now, 6+ years. They've had the opportunity to upgrade him and it hasn't really crossed their mind... I don't see the breakdown changing that much for a year or two, but I do expect that WR2 spot to have much better efficiency stats.

I've got the feeling he's going to be a frustrating player in the upcoming season in that he shows so much talent sporadically, but AJ demands what he's always gotten.
He'll also face the usual growing pains that all players have and that can end up being an entire season or two for WR's. But, from a dynasty perspective (which is how I'm looking at it and should have prefaced my previous posts) he's in a good situation.
If I recall correctly, Greg Cosell wasn't that high on Hopkins. I personally feel his upside is limited, but I'm not as down on him as Cosell is.
http://www.clanram.com/forums/f85/greg-cosell-talks-2013-nfl-draft-wide-receivers-51412-print/

There are three receivers in this draft that have somewhat similar traits, and I liked each one of them on tape: DeAndre Hopkins of Clemson, Kansas State’s Chris Harper and Tennessee Tech’s Da’rick Rogers, who led the SEC in receptions at the University of Tennessee in 2011. All three are big bodies: Harper is the shortest at 6’1¾”, and Hopkins weighs the least at 214 pounds. They each attacked the ball, and they consistently made contested catches with excellent timing, body flexibility and strong hands. They were very competitive with the ball in the air. In that sense, they were reminiscent of Anquan Boldin. By the way, Boldin ran a 4.7 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine in 2003. That has not seemed to negatively impact his NFL career.

and Hopkins raise fascinating questions about the value of wide receivers that would not, based purely on attributes, project as number one receivers, like a Calvin Johnson or an A.J. Green. Again, value is a word that’s freely tossed around this time of year, as if it’s more important when a player is drafted as opposed to what seems to me to be the whole point of the draft, which is to acquire good players who will improve your roster and your team. I would not have a problem with any of the three being chosen in the second round, or even late in the first, for a team that needs a receiver, such as the Houston Texans or the Baltimore Ravens. Again, the academic discussion of “value” has no meaning when it’s week six of the regular season and you’re lacking quality receivers, which handicaps your quarterback in a passing league, and thus limits your ability to win.

the thing that is interesting with the RBs in this class is the remaining Veteran free agents out there too.

Felix Jones, Beanie Wells, Bradshaw, turner, Benson , im sure im missing acouple

its a buyers market, with no perceived "STUD" in the class, its giant game of chicken,

Example - Pitt might not feel inclined to take a RB in round2 knowing that a- the guy in round3 will be just as good, and b- if they do miss on a RB in the draft they want they can sign Beanie or Bradshaw on the cheap, then draft a guy next year.

You think GB checked in on Benson just before the draft for giggles? They will sign him post draft if they dont address the spot with someone they like.

I think he's a winner. Green seemed like he got a ton of attention from defenses. Hopefully with Eifert and two TE sets, it takes some focus away from him.
I agree that Green should be a slight winner. I think the offense as a whole is going to benefit with the exception of Gresham.
yikes, why would they do that? he's worth more than that. I think they are goign to run 2te sets

Cherry picking a bit...I remember Clinton Portis being a 2nd rounder.

As was LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, MJD.

Frank Gore was a 3rd rounder.

Going back further, Tiki Barber, Corey Dillon, and Rickey Watters were all 2nd rounders too.
That's true, but how many of those guys were 1.01 rookie picks?

2000: (Best value Shaun Alexander/Jamal Lewis)

2nd Round: None

3rd Round: Travis Prentice, JR Redmond, Reuben Droughns, Doug Chapman

2001: (Best value Tomlinson)

2nd Round: Anthony Thomas, LaMont Jordan, Travis Henry

3rd Round: James Jackson, Kevin Barlow, Travis Minor

2002: (Best value Clinton Portis/Brian Westbrook)

2nd Round: DeShaun Foster, Clinton Portis, Maurice Morris

3rd Round: Lamar Gordon, Brian Westbrook

2003: (Best value Willis McGahee)

2nd Round: None

3rd Round: Musa Smith, Chris Brown

2004: (Best value Steven Jackson)

2nd Round: Tatum Bell, Julius Jones, Greg Jones

3rd Round: None

2005: (Best value: Frank Gore)

2nd Round: JJ Arrington, Eric Shelton

3rd Round Frank Gore, Verand Morency, Ryan Moats, Maurice Clarett

2006: (Best value: Maurice Jones-Drew)

2nd Round: LenDale White, Maurice Jones-Drew

3rd Round: Brian Calhoun, Jerious Norwood

2007: (Best value Adrian Peterson)

2nd Round: Kenny Irons, Chris Henry, Brian Leonard, Brandon Jackson

3rd Round: Lorenzo Booker, Tony Hunt, Garrett Wolfe

2008: (Best value Chris Johnson)

2nd Round: Matt Forte, Ray Rice

3rd Round: Kevin Smith, Jamaal Charles, Steve Slaton

2009: (Best value Lesean McCoy)

2nd Round: LeSean McCoy

3rd Round: Shonn Greene, Glen Coffee

2010: (Best value CJ Spiller/Ryan Mathews)

2nd Round: Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Montario Hardesty

3rd Round: None:

So, from 2000-2010, there have been 23 running backs picked in the second round. Of those, 5 (McCoy, Forte, Rice, MJD and Portis) turned into reliable fantasy options. There have been 25 running backs picked in the third round. Of those, 3 (Charles, Westbrook and Gore) turned into reliable fantasy options. In only 4 of the 11 years, did the best RB from the class come from after the first round.

I agree Dalton, and Chris Johnson should be in the winners category.
They already acquired Shonn Greene. Were they really going to grab another RB? I don't see it as a win for CJ2K as much as it isn't a loss.
I think the win for CJ2k is Womack
That's true, but he's still going to lose touches which is always concerning.
He's not losing anymore touches than he was going to yesterday.

Not sure how we can call Lacy a loser yet, since he can still land in exactly the same situations as he would have in round 1--any of them, really. Except now all 32 teams are a realistic option. Which is both risky and exciting. He's still the same guy, this was just a really deep draft at more premiere positions.
He takes a hit because 32 passed on him.
Warning random fact: That's why MJD wears #32, as a reminder. Something I like about him.
I had mentioned that above. I think Coop is right about this as he has also listed some pretty notable players taken in lower rounds.

To me, this is really about nothing more than supply and demand in this particular draft. Yes, it probably suggests that Lacy isn't being perceived by teams as being Adrian Peterson but, hye, teams have been wrong before...all of them, and even if they are right, it still doesn't mean Lacy can't be a Gore, a Forte, etc.
That's true, but he also runs a risk of being an Arrington, a Maurice Morris or a Hardesty. Now that we know no NFL team thought him a first round talent, his bust rate goes from about 50% to around 75%. That's a major blow to value.

Going back further, Tiki Barber, Corey Dillon, and Rickey Watters were all 2nd rounders too.
Isn't the question how many of them SHOULD have been? But people were scared away because...

Isn't the question how many of them SHOULD have been? But people were scared away because...
If we have the power of hindsight, sure. But I don’t think we should point to exceptions and declare them a rule. What the NFL thinks about these guys is very important. The trends suggest that the higher you’re drafted, the more likely you are to be productive in the NFL. The break between the 1st and 2nd round is especially big, in terms of likelihood of success.

I’m a fan and will be drafting and targeting where I can. I’m not saying he’s a bust or can’t end up being a top fantasy back. I’m simply saying his value took a hit. Maybe not major, especially if he goes in the first 5-6 picks tonight and lands in a good situation. It might mean nothing, long-term. But today his value is lower than it was yesterday. He’s still the same player, whom I like. But I’d feel better had the NFL nabbed him with a top 32 pick.

Hell, I'm not even saying he won't be my 1.01. Just that it's no longer cut and dry. I drafted the 1.01in 2 startups this year, planning on Lacy. Still might go that way. But I have a lot of thinking to do over the next week.

If we have the power of hindsight, sure. But I don’t think we should point to exceptions and declare them a rule. What the NFL thinks about these guys is very important. The trends suggest that the higher you’re drafted, the more likely you are to be productive in the NFL. The break between the 1st and 2nd round is especially big, in terms of likelihood of success.

I’m a fan and will be drafting and targeting where I can. I’m not saying he’s a bust or can’t end up being a top fantasy back. I’m simply saying his value took a hit. Maybe not major, especially if he goes in the first 5-6 picks tonight and lands in a good situation. It might mean nothing, long-term. But today his value is lower than it was yesterday. He’s still the same player, whom I like. But I’d feel better had the NFL nabbed him with a top 32 pick.
Honestly, I don't think it took a hit last night- tonight will be the determining factor. Maybe the reason it did in your mind was because you were still holding out some hope that he'd go 1st round to a good situation, maybe someone traded up to get him even? I think most already factored in that it probably wasn't going to happen.

Honestly, I don't think it took a hit last night- tonight will be the determining factor. Maybe the reason it did in your mind was because you were still holding out some hope that he'd go 1st round to a good situation, maybe someone traded up to get him even? I think most already factored in that it probably wasn't going to happen.
Of course I was holding out hope that he'd go in the first. Most major mock drafts had him going there. I thought it was 70/30 that he would honestly.

But, even if we say it was only 30/70. It's now 0. We know that the NFL didn't use a 1st round pick on him. So, even if he only had a 30% chance - he's in a worse spot that he was yesterday.

Not to keep talking in circles. But I am not saying his value is destroyed or he won't still be worthy of the top pick this year. Just that not going in the first means something at the very least.

I have the 1.1 in a league and am looking for any reason not to take Lacy there. So far I don't have one.
Right, but that's no glowing endorsement in favor of Lacy. It's simply that this class is filled with prospects that all carry significant question marks. The reason you've found no reason to not take Lacy at 1.01 is simply due to the importance of landing bellcow RB's, and the possibility that Lacy could be one.

I think we have to wait until after the whole draft is over.

Spots for rookies to go and will change winners and losers quickly

Denver RB

GB RB

Arizona RB

Indy RB

JAX RB

Dallas RB

SD RB/WR

KC WR

NYJ WR

BUF WR

There are more. It's too early for this type of thread.

we can't see the future? In the year Portis came out, I remember people championing DeShaun Foster. JJ Arington has as many supporters as Frank Gore. Even with 100% foresight, you're talking about 3 years. Westbrook/Portis, MJD and Gore (though I could see people arguing Rice over Johnson). So 3 or 4 years the #1 RB came out of the 2nd/3rd rounds. Carrying a 1st round talent grade means a lot for your future NFL prospects.

What did Barkley lose like $15mill for staying? Dope.
I never understood comments like these about players who decide to stay (i.e. Leinart). The NFL draft process finds every little flaw in every player which always drops hyped players from where they are projected after the college season.

If Barkley came out last year, he would've been scrutinized and evaluated in depth just like this year. People were hyping Barkley last year before the pre-draft activities. The same criticisms of him this year would've been discovered last year. I find it hard to believe Barkley gets drafted in the 1st round last year in one of the best QB classes and not in the 1st in one of the weakest.

Not sure how we can call Lacy a loser yet, since he can still land in exactly the same situations as he would have in round 1--any of them, really. Except now all 32 teams are a realistic option. Which is both risky and exciting. He's still the same guy, this was just a really deep draft at more premiere positions.
He takes a hit because 32 passed on him.
And he could still end up on any of those 32, and could still end up the #1 RB drafted. This draft was so deep at premier positions, I'm not sure all of the RB's falling out of round 1 is hugely insulting.Even if it is, he's still the same guy and he can still land in any situation.
Exactly. The same guy in the same situation should get the same opportunity if he gets taken one round later. If you want to talk probabilities, then yes, the odds of succeeding are less if taken the next round - but from a practical standpoint, there really isn't much difference (if any).

Off the top of my head, a good example would be Matt Forte who people like EBAY devalued in this forum because he didn't have a "1st round pedigree" (he was taken as the 13th pick in the 2nd round by the Bears). Bottom line was that he found himself in the exact same situation as if Chicago had taken him a round earlier (a choice landing spot with no real competition at the time).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 1.1 in a league and am looking for any reason not to take Lacy there. So far I don't have one.
I respect that I might be right there with you. We'll see.
In a PPR I don't see how you don't go Austin. We know that offense can produce a high volume receiver, the Rams lost Amendola, that role fits perfectly for Austin's skill set and the Rams believed in him enough to trade up for him.

Of course I was holding out hope that he'd go in the first. Most major mock drafts had him going there. I thought it was 70/30 that he would honestly.

But, even if we say it was only 30/70. It's now 0. We know that the NFL didn't use a 1st round pick on him. So, even if he only had a 30% chance - he's in a worse spot that he was yesterday.

Not to keep talking in circles. But I am not saying his value is destroyed or he won't still be worthy of the top pick this year. Just that not going in the first means something at the very least.
No worries, just pointing out a possible explanation. I think after the pro day most people dropped him down more than you did, which is probably why most are saying he didn't drop much last night- just a difference in timing.

FWIW, I just saw a mock (ESPN maybe) predicting Buffalo for Lacy- yikes if that happens!

Exactly. The same guy in the same situation should get the same opportunity if he gets taken one round later. If you want to talk probabilities, then yes, the odds of succeeding are less if taken the next round - but from a practical standpoint, there really isn't much difference (if any).

Off the top of my head, a good example would be Forte who some people like EBAY devalued in this forum because he didn't have a "1st round pedigree" (he was taken as the 13th pick in the 2nd round by the Bears). Bottom line was that he found himself in the exact same situation as if Chicago had taken him a round earlier (a choice landing spot with no real competition at the time).
For me it's based on the perceptions that caused the guy to drop out of the first round. Staying with the Bears, the last time they used a 2nd round pick on a RB before Forte it was for Anthony Thomas (A-Train). A-Train had a very good rookie year, but that was the only time he had a season above baseline VBD. His inability to stay healthy and his failure to maintain a YPC over 4.0 led the Bears to bring in Thomas Jones.

We didn't really expect Lacy to go before 25th and probably inside of 40th. Is it so much worse if he goes to StL at #40 instead of to StL at #30? Maybe it means several teams had Lacy as their 20th ranked player and their 18/19th ranked player was still on the board. I also agree with the earlier post about the RB market right now. Some good vets out there, Chris Ivory is available for a 4th, and so on. RBs just haven't been as valuable to NFL teams lately, and especially this year's market. I have seen no reason for me to move him from where he was in my pre draft ranking.

I moved Tavon up one spot in my rankings, and he may leapfrog another one or two tonight. I play PPR though. I think that is a devalued landing spot for him and is a loser in standard scoring, but it is a potential gold mine in PPR and combined with his draft slot, he is a winner in PPR leagues.

FWIW, I just saw a mock (ESPN maybe) predicting Buffalo for Lacy- yikes if that happens!
Yeah, this is scary too. At some point, he's likely to be BPA on some boards of team's without a clear path to 20 touches a game.

Teams like Dallas, NYG, Buff, MIA could all take a look if he's still on the board. Maybe not likely, but no less likely than the Bengals being stoked to land Eifert.

I think Spiller is a winner... if not immediately, eventually. With Manuel in Buffalo he can take some attention off the running game and open up some lanes for Spiller.
Funny - I was thinking that Spiller might be a slight downgrade. With Manuel's legs, he gives another option in the running game and can take away some touches from Spiller. Of course, it all depends on Manuel develops as a passer to open up those lanes.
running qbs have always helped rbs productivity due to occupying more defenders and opening lanes

I respect that I might be right there with you. We'll see.
In a PPR I don't see how you don't go Austin. We know that offense can produce a high volume receiver, the Rams lost Amendola, that role fits perfectly for Austin's skill set and the Rams believed in him enough to trade up for him.
I think St. Louis was a good landing spot for Austin, clearly far better than somewhere like the Jets. That said, I'm curious how the addition of Jared Cook will impact the "Amendola" role in that offense. I like that St. Louis traded up to get Austin, but I've tempered my expectations just a bit as I still think there are some questions marks for Austin in St. Louis as well.

That would be interesting

LosersCowboys/Bills/Bears fansWinnerVikings and Rams
What does this mean honestly?

Did you get this off of paper and where "value" or players "should go".

Football is played on the field. Just because Travis Frederick had a lower grade, doesn't mean it's a bad pick. Maybe he doesn't make it to them in round 2 and they can't live without him.

Also Ryan Mathews value should increase, DJ Fluker is a great run blocker.
....or he could be one fumble away from the bench.
That really has nothing to do with his situation though.
This new coaching staff/FO will give him a long leash with the fumbling Im sure.
I think JohnnyU is fishing. I think Mathews value increases with Fluker, that OL is really big right now.

There being 2 of them hurts more than Cam. Cam cammed all over 2011 but if you combine DeAngelo and Stewart it's basically a top 5 RB with 1500 and 10 at 5+ YPC. Stewart struggled in 2012 but not due to Cam, necessarily.
A lot of truth. But the top goal line option on the team being a QB hurts. They went from the best rushing offense to one of the worst - Cam was there both years. If I was a Stewart owner and had the option, I'd replace Cam with a traditional QB. Morris' numbers went up when RG3 was out or playing hurt, too.

There being 2 of them hurts more than Cam. Cam cammed all over 2011 but if you combine DeAngelo and Stewart it's basically a top 5 RB with 1500 and 10 at 5+ YPC. Stewart struggled in 2012 but not due to Cam, necessarily.
A lot of truth. But the top goal line option on the team being a QB hurts. They went from the best rushing offense to one of the worst - Cam was there both years. If I was a Stewart owner and had the option, I'd replace Cam with a traditional QB. Morris' numbers went up when RG3 was out or playing hurt, too.
I'd replace him with Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning, maybe, but not a rookie or mediocre guy. Still double digit TDs going to the RB, just spread over 2 or 3 guys. Tolbert had 7 last year. If I'm a Stewart owner, I just throw my hands up in the air and sit on him hoping for the best.

I'd replace him with Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning, maybe, but not a rookie or mediocre guy. Still double digit TDs going to the RB, just spread over 2 or 3 guys. Tolbert had 7 last year. If I'm a Stewart owner, I just throw my hands up in the air and sit on him hoping for the best.
Yeah - fair enough.

Why is St Louis a good landing spot for Austin? I don't get it, Bradford is a bad fantasy QB, they have no RB to extend drives, the line is ok. Seems like a subpar spot to me.

Why is St Louis a good landing spot for Austin? I don't get it, Bradford is a bad fantasy QB, they have no RB to extend drives, the line is ok. Seems like a subpar spot to me.
Because Bradford feeds the slot, and Austin is likely to be a major part of the offense. Think Harvin in Minny.

Blaine Gabbert

Jags now have two solid tackles, the young WRs have a year under their belt as starters and supposedly they're not going QB in the second.

:ducks:

Because Bradford feeds the slot, and Austin is likely to be a major part of the offense.
To go along with that, you could argue that St. Louis is one of the few places without a true #1 WR (Quick? Givens?). From my perspective that is about as good as it could get for Austin in terms of potential targets. Targets don't always equate to production but they certainly don't hurt.

G5781 said:
Daywalker said:
What did Barkley lose like $15mill for staying? Dope.
I never understood comments like these about players who decide to stay (i.e. Leinart). The NFL draft process finds every little flaw in every player which always drops hyped players from where they are projected after the college season.

If Barkley came out last year, he would've been scrutinized and evaluated in depth just like this year. People were hyping Barkley last year before the pre-draft activities. The same criticisms of him this year would've been discovered last year. I find it hard to believe Barkley gets drafted in the 1st round last year in one of the best QB classes and not in the 1st in one of the weakest.
There were 1st round mocks from January that didn't have Barkley getting picked. It's not like he only fell because of his combine/workouts.

Concept Coop said:
Andy Dufresne said:
Gawain said:
Andy Dufresne said:

trying to wrap my head around this but not sure I will....in terms of fantasy value....nothing has changed....he didn't have a team before and he still doesn't....the fact that he wasn't the right pick so far for several teams really has nothing to do with his fantasy value.....he may in fact be very high on many teams boards, maybe even higher rated then the guy the team has already taken, but positional need was more important to that team at the time...

that comment seems silly, cause as soon as he is picked (let's say by GB)....his "fantasy value" will sky rocket....his value is tied more to where he ends up when he is picked, not "when" he is picked....by your way of thinking....if he goes with the first pick today (33) are you saying that his value really took a hit because he didn't go at (32)....?

Chachi said:
I'm thinking DeSean Jackson in Danny Amendola's role. Lots of 3 wide, single back sets. Quick and Givens on the outside with Cook at TE. Bradford should see some improved numbers, and with StL D coming on and getting stronger, you may see more scoring opportunities too. If they get Lacy next, the Rams could be a year away from contending in that division.

I'll add Rudolph as a winner as well. Teams will have to respect Patterson's speed and the D should be improved and get the ball back to the O.

JaxBill said:
Blaine Gabbert

Jags now have two solid tackles, the young WRs have a year under their belt as starters and supposedly they're not going QB in the second.

JaxBill said:
Blaine Gabbert

I'd be surprised if Jax don'tstrongly consider a QB in the 2nd. The Bills were taking Nassib, Miami moved up to get a top OL... Until neither of them did.

Users who are viewing this thread