What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

Great list today - many songs I've commented on (or picked / will pick). And classic rock monsters Born to Run, Freebird, and Hotel California make their first appearances.

Some notable for me:

@MAC_32 Hurricane - Bob Dylan - Dylan's best to me. Fantastic song all around.

@simsarge Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - Nancy Sinatra - Loved it when Tarantino rolled this out for Kill Bill: Vol1

@Doug B Jack and Jill – Raydio - man, haven't heard or thought about this in... decades?

Listening to yesterday's new-to-me songs, and it occurred to me that I'd love a playlist just of the hip-hop, since that's a big blind spot for me but I often enjoy what I hear.

And yes, I'm admitting that I didn't know "Nuthin' but a G Thang" until now (though I was aware of the song by title).

Some notable for me:

@Doug B Jack and Jill – Raydio - man, haven't heard or thought about this in... decades?

Our local Wal Mart Fresh Market plays a selection of 70s & 80s Top 40 non-stop. Because of the ambient noise in the store, it can sometimes be hard to make out a song.

One day a few years ago, they played "Jack & Jill". At the time, the beat, melody, and feel were familiar but I had forgotten both the artist and the title. I went all over the store to try to get a better listen at the lyrics so I could look them up online. (Pro Tip: If this ever happens to you, head straight for the bathroom -- - probably the best acoustics in the place)

All I could (erroneously) catch was what sounded like "Love … you just can’t come in" (see next paragraph for the correct line). Well, with that and a few other clues about the song's tempo and arrangement, I went on another message board and tried for about a week to figure out what song it was. No dice.

I still don't know how I figured out what it was. I think when I was digging up lyrics, I finally typed in something close enough to "Love he couldn't get from Jill" to have Google fill in the gap for me.

Listening to yesterday's new-to-me songs, and it occurred to me that I'd love a playlist just of the hip-hop, since that's a big blind spot for me but I often enjoy what I hear.

And yes, I'm admitting that I didn't know "Nuthin' but a G Thang" until now (though I was aware of the song by title).
I have a Classic Hip Hop playlist I would be happy to share with you. Scooby/RHE swears by it.

See how good it would be if you actually stayed in a draft until the end?
You know ... this exercise is kind of like a draft where you just make all your picks up front. And then someone else does the Lord's work in rolling all the picks out day by day and facilitating discussion. And if someone gets busy and has to duck out for a few days -- it's all good. You don't fall behind a dozen picks or anything like that.

Looking forward to more in this format :thumbup:

Hoping for another one after this that is the inverse, i.e., artist or at least one band member is not American.

When I was 13, I took guitar lessons. My teacher had all of his students play in a guitar recital about 6 months into my lessons. Two friends and I played Hotel California. To help prepare, I probably listened to the song 1000 times. Somehow, I still like it. I put the version from the studio album in my list, but I should have put the version from Eagles Live, which is better IMO.
Want it switched?

If not too late, I would switch it. :thumbup:

I have a Classic Hip Hop playlist I would be happy to share with you. Scooby/RHE swears by it.

Would love it! :thanks:

Great list today - many songs I've commented on (or picked / will pick). And classic rock monsters Born to Run, Freebird, and Hotel California make their first appearances.
Am I the only one who could never hear Hotel California, or Freebird again, and be completely fine with it? I mean no offense to those who picked them. Iconic rock songs obviously. I've listened to classic rock radio my whole life. Some of these songs I've just heard enough.

I say this realizing a good portion of you prolly listen to 30 seconds of my picks and fast forward:P

When I was 13, I took guitar lessons. My teacher had all of his students play in a guitar recital about 6 months into my lessons. Two friends and I played Hotel California. To help prepare, I probably listened to the song 1000 times. Somehow, I still like it. I put the version from the studio album in my list, but I should have put the version from Eagles Live, which is better IMO.
Want it switched?

If not too late, I would switch it. :thumbup:
Done.

Sucks that all the good Snoop and Dre are gone till early next year :kicksrock:

Am I the only one who could never hear Hotel California, or Freebird again, and be completely fine with it? I mean no offense to those who picked them. Iconic rock songs obviously. I've listened to classic rock radio my whole life. Some of these songs I've just heard enough.

I say this realizing a good portion of you prolly listen to 30 seconds of my picks and fast forward:P
I feel that way about many Eagles hits, especially from the final two albums of their original run, but I never get tired of Hotel California (the song), mainly because of the guitar work by Joe Walsh and Don Felder. It also appeals because Henley and Frey modeled it after Steely Dan (and acknowleged as much with the "they stab it with their steely knives" line; previously, Becker and Fagen had used the lyric "turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening" in "Everything You Did".)

Classic Hip Hop

Saved - thank you! For listening whenever we are done with this, which I guess is 13 days from now.

Just finished my listening of yesterday's playlist. I think it was my favorite batch of new-to-me songs yet! There were actually zero that I didn't enjoy at least somewhat. My winners:

Cover Me - Percy Sledge - yeah, I don't know how I didn't know this song, but I didn't.
The Dulcimer Stomp portion of the Aerosmith track but not the rest - :mellow:
My Secret - New Edition - wait, hear me out on this. Nevermind, don't. I have no excuse except that it is happy and sunny and fun.
Regulate - Warren G and Nate Dogg - "Funk on a whole new level" indeed.
Ball and Biscuit - White Stripes - I have a love-hate relationship with a lot of their music. This one slotted strongly in the former category.

I realized I did know Fiona Apple's Criminal. It's excellent. Same two comments regarding "Yeah!" by Usher et al.

I feel that way about many Eagles hits, especially from the final two albums of their original run, but I never get tired of Hotel California (the song), mainly because of the guitar work by Joe Walsh and Don Felder. It also appeals because Henley and Frey modeled it after Steely Dan (and acknowleged as much with the "they stab it with their steely knives" line; previously, Becker and Fagen had used the lyric "turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening" in "Everything You Did".)

I knew there was a reason I hated this song! :lol:

(But seriously, I do not like it.)

neal cassady:

Sinnerman - Nina Simone
(new artist)
I had a good feeling that Miss Simone would start to show up here soon. Love this one.

I think "The Summer of Soul" doc with Simone's amazing performance in it was previously mentioned in this thread. The "What Happened, Miss Simone?" documentary another great one, just focused on her life and career.
I've never heard of this artist nor the song...after that listen I'm gonna need to double back and give it another spin. It was over whelming the first time through, but in a good way.

neal cassady:

Sinnerman - Nina Simone
(new artist)
I had a good feeling that Miss Simone would start to show up here soon. Love this one.

I think "The Summer of Soul" doc with Simone's amazing performance in it was previously mentioned in this thread. The "What Happened, Miss Simone?" documentary another great one, just focused on her life and career.
I've never heard of this artist nor the song...after that listen I'm gonna need to double back and give it another spin. It was over whelming the first time through, but in a good way.
If you've never heard of her, but like that sort of stuff, you are in for a treat if you check more into her catalog, as she has a lot of songs like that. Maybe more of her songs will be on others favorites lists (hopefully not spotlighting, but can't really spotlight in this format and have no idea what songs other picked) -- check out songs like Backlash Blues, Mississippi ******, I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free, or Are You Ready (last from the Summer of Soul doc/soundtrack). All just insanely powerful stuff that she was putting out at the height of the civil rights movement.

Mississippi ******,

Hey, I took this in a draft once, and the language filter changed it to, I'm not kidding, "Mississippi gosh darn." Did you put asterisks in there to avoid that fate, or has the language filter been updated to something slightly less Ludacris ludicrous?

Mississippi ******,

Hey, I took this in a draft once, and the language filter changed it to, I'm not kidding, "Mississippi gosh darn." Did you put asterisks in there to avoid that fate, or has the language filter been updated to something slightly less Ludacris ludicrous?
:lmao: I put the actual word, so it looks like it changed it to asterisks. Maybe language filter with the board upgrade works better.

I don't even know where to start with today's list. Thankfully duplicates help trim things down so I can justify bypassing Superstition, Boston, and RESPECT. Alright, let's try...

Classics, but sticking to my one song per artist rule they were left out - Born To Run, She Talks To Angels, Jesus of Suburbia, and B.O.B. That was the other Green Day track I hemmed and hawed at though.
Best new to me: I'm a sucker for epics (i.e. my pick for today - Hurricane) and Sinnerman was ****ing awesome
Random comment that may only be applicable to Krista and I: your comments may have been influential, but that intro to Hall & Oates grabbed me too. The bar was set too high with Nina Simone, but Romeo Is Bleeding was an enjoyable new listen.
Bronze: Good Vibrations - the Beach Boys didn't make my 31 and this wasn't the one that got squeezed at the last moment (I suspect it's still to come), but I'd be hard pressed to be convinced there is a better #2 than this.
Silver: so many great songs being left off the medal stand, but there was too much great hip hop in this batch to shut them out - B.I.G. earned this with Hypontize
Gold: Lazy Eye - can't believe I left this out.

My Secret - New Edition - wait, hear me out on this. Nevermind, don't. I have no excuse except that it is happy and sunny and fun.

@ditkaburgers has a playlist of New Edition and Stromae tunes that she always wants to listen to when we drop her off at the airport. This is song #2 on the playlist. It's true that it's happy and sunny and fun but it always a little bittersweet to hear it because I associate it with her leaving us to go back to college.

I not so subtly hinted at the artist a few days ago and never expected them to make it to anyone's 31, but given your contributions I am beginning to wonder if you may uncover my metal song that got squeezed off the bubble.

Mississippi ******,

I assure you the FBG language filter is not a fan of Ludacris.

I hate it when it's too many niggas, not enough hoes
Too many rookies, not enough pros
The game got switched on some Ludacris ****
So all y'all can suck my ****, *****!!!

EDIT - wait a ******** minute...THAT!!! is allowed. Come. Ooon.

Last edited:
,,, that intro to Hall & Oates grabbed me too ... Romeo Is Bleeding was an enjoyable new listen.

That track was released in the late 90s, when Hall & Oates was basically a legacy act. It's a shame how acts got shoehorned that way and struggle to get airplay against the Latest Big Thing.

Charity Contest as of Picks #14:

Ilov80s 126
Falguy 108
Just Win Baby 104
New Binky the Doormat 97
AAABatteries 86
Don Quixote 86
DrianMalcom 86
Hov34 86
Neal Cassady 63
jwb 62
The Dreaded Marco 61
Pip's Invitation 60
Dr. Octopus 53
Uruk-Hai 53
Mrs. Rannous 49
Chaz McNulty 47
Val Rannous 47

3 people have broken over 100 points now, and the Stevie Wonder selections are now starting to close in on the top group.

I really thought Cemetery Gates was gonna be one of the Deja Votes.......I mean, who doesn't love Pantera? One of the most influential metal bands of the 90's......Dimebag Darrell with the crushing, sludgy riffs! Anselmo hitting the metal high notes like he's Rob F'n Halford! :shades:
When I saw Cemetery Gates, my mind went to The Smiths. Never mind that The Smiths are English and the title is spelled (spelt?) "Cemetry", it would have been a decidedly un-Manster pick.

If only there were a Genrepallooza playlist or 10 of hip-hop to listen to. :p

I really thought Cemetery Gates was gonna be one of the Deja Votes.......I mean, who doesn't love Pantera? One of the most influential metal bands of the 90's......Dimebag Darrell with the crushing, sludgy riffs! Anselmo hitting the metal high notes like he's Rob F'n Halford! :shades:
When I saw Cemetery Gates, my mind went to The Smiths. Never mind that The Smiths are English and the title is spelled (spelt?) "Cemetry", it would have been a decidedly un-Manster pick.
So I had never heard of the Smiths song. I had Alexa fire it up......I listened to about 30 seconds......you were correct, very un-Manster like.

Already medaled: God Only Knows, Respect, September Gurls, Superstition

Known:

Gold: Good Vibrations (simey, pip)
Silver: Lazy Eye (shuke, hov)
Bronze: Cemetary Gates (Manster)

Unknown:

Gold: Barefootin' (uruk-hai)
Silver: A Report the the Shareholders (rock)
Bronze: Black Myself (Dr Ian)

Favorite new to me:
New Binky the Doormat: Criminal – Fiona Apple

Wat???

:shrug:

I don't know this song, either. Haven't had time for the new-to-me songs today so will check it out tomorrow.

I really like all of her stuff - but her first album "Tidal" is fantastic. Really tough choice between "Criminal" and two other songs off of it and the entire album is killer.

"Sleep to Dream"

"Shadowboxer"

Shadowboxer is in my top 50, but what I really wanted to include and something I've fallen in love with over the past year or so was this cover she did for a TV Show (I think). Not on Spotify and no where else I can find except youtube so enjoy:

Favorite Five from Round 14:

All the favorite repeats, and that includes some I never listed, but are still favorites.

Sinnerman
(I Know) I'm Losing You
24 Frames
Misunderstood
Black Myself
Hurricane

A few favorite alternates:

Free Bird
Born to Run
Jesus of Suburbia

Favorite new to me song(s):

Hypnotize
Barefootin'
Knoxville Girl
Lazy Eye

Last edited:
Pip’s Invitation:

Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
(duplicate – second vote today!)

A squillion words have already been written about this song, so I won't contribute too many more. It's one of the quintessential contributions to American popular music. One listen will tell you why.

And Simey:

:hifive:
There are several things I dig about this song. I love Carl Wilson's vocals on the verses. I love the arrangement of the song, which includes all the movements within it. I love the harmonies, and I love the different instrumental sounds throughout. It's a great groovy tune.

Another set where I knew most of the songs. And not just because we hit some repeats ;)!

#16s
Recognized by title alone: 24
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn't know: 9

Selected Favorites:
(not listed: song on my top 31!)
Crackerman (Sullie)
Reach Out I’ll Be There (MAC_32)
Words (Zegras11)
Simple Man (Ilov80s)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
All This And More (rockaction)
The Boy with the Perpetual Nervousness (worrierking)
The Fitted Shirt (landryshat)
Young Hearts Run Free (Doug B)

Ilov80s 126
Falguy 108
Just Win Baby 104
New Binky the Doormat 97
AAABatteries 86
Don Quixote 86
DrianMalcom 86
Hov34 86
Neal Cassady 63
jwb 62
The Dreaded Marco 61
Pip's Invitation 60
Dr. Octopus 53
Uruk-Hai 53
Mrs. Rannous 49
Chaz McNulty 47
Val Rannous 47

3 people have broken over 100 points now, and the Stevie Wonder selections are now starting to close in on the top group.

Would you mind doing another post that only shows what people chose in the contest? I'll then link to that in the first post so that people can refer back to it anytime. I know you posted these at some point but I didn't save it.

Or you could post the picks every time you do an update, if you wish.

Today's listening was as excellent as I expected!

On my known songs, a shout-out to the Counting Crows song. While it wouldn't be my #1 from them, I like it a lot despite its being overplayed, and I'm glad to see that smelly guy get some love in the countdown. Also love both of the Wilco picks. "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" was on my medium list with another Wilco we haven't seen (and won't). "Jack and Jill" by Raydio was a song I didn't realize I knew, but I was happy to hear it once I recognized it. And if you choose a Stevie Wonder, Beach Boys, Nina Simone, Big Star, Temptations, or Bob Dylan song, just consider it auto-liked. OK, maybe 85% of Bob Dylan songs.

I put any Run the Jewels song into an auto-like but never remember which ones I know and which I don't. I loved today's pick.

On the new-to-me songs, I give a heart to "Hypnotize" by Notorious B.I.G., "24 Frames" by Jason Isbell, "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" by Nancy Sinatra, and, in the biggest shock to me, "Cemetery Gates" by Pantera.

But my favorite where-you-been-all-my-life selection from today was "B.O.B." by Outkast. Yes, I've heard of the song and know I should know it. Maybe I've heard it before but it's hard to imagine I would forget it. Frenetic, almost out-of-control but somehow also repetitive so never slipping out of control, what the hell is this is this techno is it rap is it punk is it gospel? What a ****ing ride. Left me breathless. Instantly onto my "favorites" playlist. Wth.

-

What I'm hearing you say is you've listened to Free Bird more than most songs. Songs like love to me.

:checkmate:

:coffee:

Ilov80s 126
Falguy 108
Just Win Baby 104
New Binky the Doormat 97
AAABatteries 86
Don Quixote 86
DrianMalcom 86
Hov34 86
Neal Cassady 63
jwb 62
The Dreaded Marco 61
Pip's Invitation 60
Dr. Octopus 53
Uruk-Hai 53
Mrs. Rannous 49
Chaz McNulty 47
Val Rannous 47

Would you mind doing another post that only shows what people chose in the contest? I'll then link to that in the first post so that people can refer back to it anytime. I know you posted these at some point but I didn't save it.

Or you could post the picks every time you do an update, if you wish.

Can we also add to that post how it works? It's possible I entered it and still have no clue what is going on.

Narrator: He did enter and he doesn't have a clue what is going on.

But my favorite where-you-been-all-my-life selection from today was "B.O.B." by Outkast.

I felt that way after I moved home from D.C. in 2001 and finally got a chance to hear the album proper instead of piecemeal. Just an awesome track for the clubs, provided that's your thing (it's not really mine, but that's where you would have heard it back then in 2000).

Users who are viewing this thread