What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

Uruk-Hai:

Jolene - Dolly Parton
Legend has it that Dolly wrote this and "I Will Always Love You" on the same day. I guess it would be easy enough to confirm or deny, but I prefer the legend and don't wanna know what's true.

What gets me, though, isn't the story (it's great, because it's Dolly), but the rhythm of the record and Dolly's voice. JFC, that woman knows how to send chills down my spine when she sings.

For some reason, I can't access my list anymore but I think I have 4 (?) songs on mine yet to come that have already been chosen at least once. How can I write pretentious crap when y'all keep stealing my thunder?

Plenty of unstolen thunder! You have seven of your last 11 that have not yet been chosen. Some of them will get other votes but just haven't come up yet.

And by the way, you've stolen my thunder at least once, and I know @simey has at least twice, including my #2 song. Isn't it @landrys hat who is supposed to do that?!?!
My #1 was exposed back in the high twenties. My guess is I have two or three left that nobody else chose.
I think 5 of my top 11 have been listed already and I expect 4 others probably will be. Pretty sure one of my top 11 will not be listed by anyone else and possibly another (my #1).

Uruk-Hai:

Jolene - Dolly Parton
Legend has it that Dolly wrote this and "I Will Always Love You" on the same day. I guess it would be easy enough to confirm or deny, but I prefer the legend and don't wanna know what's true.

What gets me, though, isn't the story (it's great, because it's Dolly), but the rhythm of the record and Dolly's voice. JFC, that woman knows how to send chills down my spine when she sings.

I've always heard and bought into that legend.

While my selection today is not my favorite song, it's my "most fun" pick. Ella does Mack the Knife live, forgets some of the words, but clearly has a ball singing it with improvised lyrics. I had read that she thought it was a disaster - instead it won her a Grammy.
I love when Ella would scat sing. I think she was the best at doing it.

Nice to see these get some love:
krista4: Waltz #2 – Elliott Smith
scorchy: Let There Be Rock – Drive-By Truckers
rockaction: Sweet Jane - The Velvet Underground
Dr. Octopus: I’m The Man Who Loves You – Wilco
Don Quixote: What I’d Say, Pt. 1 & 2 - Ray Charles
The Dreaded Marco: Happy - The Wrens

Totally new to me and awesome:
KarmaPolice: Grow Into A Ghost - Swearin'
Nice! This was the song I was speaking of when I was half joking I thought/hoped there would be a new to you song you would dig enough to put on your lists.

My top 6 from round 12 excluding my own choice:
I couldn't narrow this round down to 5, had to go with a top 6. Just couldn't leave any one of these songs out.

For some reason, I can't access my list anymore but I think I have 4 (?) songs on mine yet to come that have already been chosen at least once. How can I write pretentious crap when y'all keep stealing my thunder?

Plenty of unstolen thunder! You have seven of your last 11 that have not yet been chosen. Some of them will get other votes but just haven't come up yet.

And by the way, you've stolen my thunder at least once, and I know @simey has at least twice, including my #2 song. Isn't it @landrys hat who is supposed to do that?!?!
Yeah, and you've gotten me me what, like 4 times already? I expected this from a song-thief like @simey or @landrys hat..... But YOU!!!! :lol:

UH reaction.

@krista4 Semantic grammar point: The title of the Ray Charles song is What’d I Say, not What I’d Say.
Well, I’m going to have to have a talk with my unpaid intern who proofread my submission before I sent to krista. He’s not going to go anywhere if he lets stuff like that get by him. If he’s expecting me to serve as a reference for him, he’s going to have to up his game considerably. Stupid Sancho.

Last edited:
@krista4 Semantic grammar point: The title of the Ray Charles song is What’d I Say, not What I’d Say.
Well, I’m going to have to have a talk with my unpaid intern who proofread my submission before I sent to krista. He’s not going to go anywhere if he lets stuff like that get by him. If he’s expecting me to serve as a reference for him, he’s going to have to up his game considerably.

Don't be too hard on your intern. I didn't notice the mistake because your list is one of only 2-3 where I can just copy and paste right into the post, because your intern put everything is just the order I'm using and included beautiful hyperlinks. They had an A+ going for the semester until this hiccup.

I’m sure the ghost of Ray Charles is thrilled that one of his legacies is middle-aged idiots discussing grammar. :laugh:

Coincidentally, by far the biggest Ray fan I've ever known (my brother is a distant second) is my friend Doug, who also is a grammarian and prides himself on once pointing out a mistake made by David Foster Wallace in a DFW essay about grammar. :lol:

Well, I’m going to have to have a talk with my unpaid intern who proofread my submission before I sent to krista. He’s not going to go anywhere if he lets stuff like that get by him. If he’s expecting me to serve as a reference for him, he’s going to have to up his game considerably.

Don't be too hard on your intern. I didn't notice the mistake because your list is one of only 2-3 where I can just copy and paste right into the post, because your intern put everything is just the order I'm using and included beautiful hyperlinks. They had an A+ going for the semester until this hiccup.
This is not Sancho’s first mistake. I think he laughs at me behind my back.

Turned out to have very few new-to-me songs today, so not much to choose from. Did find some gems, though!

Both Drive-By Truckers songs were winners. I preferred "Danko/Manuel" overall, but "Let There Be Rock" was fun and contained references to two of today's other artists (Blue Oyster Cult and Lynyrd Skynyrd)! "We Are Young" turned out to be a song I knew but loved, feels like a big guilty pleasure for me. "And the Beat Goes On" sucked me in with a fantastic bass line.

Well, I’m going to have to have a talk with my unpaid intern who proofread my submission before I sent to krista. He’s not going to go anywhere if he lets stuff like that get by him. If he’s expecting me to serve as a reference for him, he’s going to have to up his game considerably. Stupid Sancho.
Another casualty.

and prides himself on once pointing out a mistake made by David Foster Wallace in a DFW essay about grammar

That's some top-shelf SNOOT right there.

In case that needs explaining, it was his mother's name for people who were exacting about grammar and syntax. I forget what it is an acronym for.

I missed that fun. had a song there. Awesome track. I loved it when it came out, and I still love it. Sing at the top of your lungs.

Tonighhhhht we are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter
Than the sun

Charity Contest Info and Standings, Number 12

Everyone's selections:

Val Rannous - Song: Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Mrs. Rannous - Song: Rock and Roll High School, The Ramones. Artist: Bob Dylan.
Uruk-Hai - Song: Purple Rain, Prince. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Pip's Invitation - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Neal Cassady - Song: Let's Stay Together, Al Green. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Hov34 - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana)
Chaz McNulty - Song: Fast Car, Tracy Chapman. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Dr. Octopus - Song: Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Falguy - Song: Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen. Artist: Tom Petty.
DrianMalcom - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: American Girl, Tom Petty)
Ilove80s - Song: Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys. Artist: Tom Petty.
jwb - Song: Hotel California, The Eagles. Artist: The Allman Brothers Band.
The Dreaded Marco - Song: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Artist: Prince.
New Binky the Doormat - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Tom Petty.
Just Win Baby - Song: What's Going On, Marvin Gaye. Artist: Tom Petty.
Don Quixote - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: God Only Knows, The Beach Boys)
AAABatteries - Song: Respect - Aretha Franklin. Artist: Stevie Wonder.

Songs that scored 20 points for today's selections:

What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
Purple Rain, Prince
Respect, Aretha Franklin
Let's Stay Together, Al Green

Artists that scored 20 points for today's selections:

Bruce Springsteen
Prince
Tom Petty

Total Scores as of Today:

Ilov80s 184
Just Win Baby 182
New Binky the Doormat 174
Falguy 166
AAABatteries 125
Neal Cassady 121
Don Quixote 105
DrianMalcom 105
Hov34 105
The Dreaded Marco 100
Pip's Invitation 98
Uruk-Hai 92
jwb 81
Dr. Octopus 72
Chaz McNulty 67
Val Rannous 67
Mrs. Rannous 49

Both Drive-By Truckers songs were winners. I preferred "Danko/Manuel" overall, but "Let There Be Rock" was fun and contained references to two of today's other artists (Blue Oyster Cult and Lynyrd Skynyrd)! "We Are Young" turned out to be a song I knew but loved, feels like a big guilty pleasure for me. "And the Beat Goes On" sucked me in with a fantastic bass line.
As a DBT fan from the get-go, it took me a bit to get accustomed to the new dynamic Jason Isbell brought to the band. He's an immense talent and wrote several of their best songs (Danko Manuel, God**** Lonely Love, Outfit) but especially live, it never really clicked for me. The Patterson/Cooley dynamic is the heart of the band and Jason - in my mind - took a bit away from that, again, even though I love his songs. Regardless, I'm glad he got help with his demons and he's way bigger than DBT now anyway.

If anyone has a chance to go the annual Drive-By Truckers homecoming weekend in Athens, GA, I can't recommend it enough. You'll never meet a more welcoming crew of fans, the opening acts are always top-notch, and there's a slew of great events other than the shows themselves.

Charity Contest Info and Standings, Number 12

Thank you for doing these updates!

I've linked this in the first post, and I'm updating the link whenever you post, for quick reference in case anyone wants to look back at it.

I think I mentioned this before, but all of the artists selected are in the top 10, so excellent guessing by everyone there! The songs are a mixed bag, and there are several top songs no one selected. Not unexpected given how difficult that is to guess.

If anyone has a chance to go the annual Drive-By Truckers homecoming weekend in Athens, GA, I can't recommend it enough. You'll never meet a more welcoming crew of fans, the opening acts are always top-notch, and there's a slew of great events other than the shows themselves.

This sounds impossibly fun.

IIRC @DrIanMalcolm LOVES Louisiana Rain.

You're not wrong. Got away from this thread for a day or two, but yes, this is true. Tom Petty's songs contain more individual moments that I love than any other musician, and Louisiana Rain, which is great and melancholy, has a terrific solo that I pick out as one of those moments. It's a great one and glad to see it in this list.

Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
Stevie Wonder
Tom Petty
The Allman Brothers Band
Prince

LET'S DO ANOTHER CHARITY CONTEST!

Above are the six artists chosen in the original contest, who I've confirmed all made the top 10.

Who are the other four?

Send me a PM with your guesses for these four, and I'll award another $100 to the charity of choice for whoever guesses the most correctly. Tiebreaker: tell me which of your four you believe will rank most highly (first tiebreaker) and what # you think they will be (second tiebreaker).

DEADLINE: 11:59 pm PST on Monday, December 5.

I knew 16 songs today. Crushed my old record of 13. LOL

If you've been keeping up on your playlist-listening homework, you should know more and more as we get into a lot more duplicates! :lol:
I was doing great until four days ago. We got crushed with our rentals going from an on-site manager to a larger property management firm on Nov 17 and finding out that 5 gave notice this week because of the old managers neglect the past few months due to having some medical issues he didn't make us aware of. Silver lining is we get to raise those rents to market because we didn't raise them during the pandemic.

I'll get caught up soon as I'm really enjoying this and have added about 20 songs from here to my main spotify play list. Hoping to add more.

Wanna say thanks for all the love I've received from the songs I've chosen. Wasn't expecting much as my catalog is so limited. compared to most

FWIW, if we do another one for Europe, limit it to one song per artist. JMO

Pip’s Invitation:

Race for the Prize - The Flaming Lips
(duplicate – second vote)

This is a pivotal song in the history of my musical tastes. The backdrop is a road trip I took in 2002 to catch three of my friends' band's shows. The first day was my 31st birthday and two days before, my divorce had become final. The itinerary was:

Thursday: Leave work in North Jersey; drive to Manhattan, pick up friend; drive to New Haven for show #1.
Friday: After end of New Haven show, drive west, trading off driving and napping; stop in Cleveland to visit Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; drive to Toledo for show #2; stay at art house in Toledo with people from band's email discussion group (whom we had met when they had driven east to see the band).
Saturday: Leave early to drive to Pittsburgh for show #3, a set an at afternoon street festival (yes, that's three shows in less than 48 hours); drive home to NJ (minus Manhattan friend, who stayed in Pittsburgh for a few days to visit college friends).
Sunday: Attend fantasy baseball draft.

Another friend of ours burned me some CDs for the road trip of albums I didn't know but he thought I'd like. One of them was The Soft Bulletin (turned out it was the UK version, which I didn't realize for years). When track 1, Race for the Prize, came on, I was absolutely floored. Here was a song that was extraordinarily powerful and really got the blood pumping, but had all sorts of other intricate stuff going on. And the rest of the album was equally amazing. Thus began many years of listening to the Flaming Lips and going to their shows. I honestly believe The Soft Bulletin is the closest thing Gen X has to Pet Sounds.

Halfway there! Or close enough, since 31 obviously doesn’t divide into 2 easily. It’s getting harder not to repeat, and I know that will only become more difficult.

#15s
Recognized by title alone: 19
Sounded familiar: 4
Didn't know: 12

Selected Favorites:
Criminal (Fiona Apple)
Rhapsody in Blue (Don Quixote)
Fever (simsarge)
Tell Me What You Dream (Doug B)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Portions For Foxes (scorchy)
Under the Pressure (shuke)
The Mountain (Hawks64)
Monsters (landryshat)

I'm a little behind because this weekend was our anniversary and our son was away at Scout camp.

Favorite new-to-me from #13:
Carry Me Ohio -- Sun Kil Moon (Shuke). More of the "indie rock" sounds I find compelling. Bonus points for sounding a little like Neil Young.
House of Jealous Lovers -- The Rapture (Rockaction). Energetic and exciting. Reminded me a bit of Gang of Four.
The Silence -- Manchester Orchestra (MAC 32). Tense and emotional.
Shine -- Dolly Parton (Mrs. Rannous). It really seems like everything she touches turns to gold.

This one I knew from XPN but didn't know the title:

Motion Sickness -- Phoebe Bridgers (KarmaPolice)

Favorite known-to-me from #12. There were only 9 songs I didn't know, which I believe is by far the fewest so far, and I believe two of them may be in the "actually I did hear it but didn't remember" category. I suspect this will be a trend going forward as more "consensus" songs appear in the top third of people's lists (OH excepted).

Let's Stay Together -- Al Green (Landryshat)
What's Going On -- Marvin Gaye (Simey)
What'd I Say -- Ray Charles (Don Quixote)
Respect -- Aretha Franklin (DrIanMalcolm)
Sweet Jane -- The Velvet Underground (Rockaction)
Hold On I'm Comin' -- Sam and Dave (Worrierking)
I'm the Man Who Loves You -- Wilco (Doc Oc)
Long Tall Sally -- Little Richard (OH)
Purple Rain -- Prince (Shuke)
L.A. Woman -- The Doors (MAC 32)
I Won't Back Down -- Tom Petty (Val Rannous)
Sail On -- Commodores (Falguy)
Happy -- The Wrens (Marco)
Bernadette -- The Four Tops (Mrs. Rannous)
Borracho -- Mark Lanegan (Manster)

Three songs have been named by Krista and OH. Marquee Moon, Use Me and Long Tall Sally. None of which sound anything like each other. Lots of variety on the stereo at your place.

Users who are viewing this thread