What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

Number 25:

krista4:

Roadrunner – The Modern Lovers

Just Win Baby:

Here Comes a Regular (1985), from Tim - The Replacements

simey:

I'd Rather Go Blind – Etta James

scorchy:

Tear Stained Eye – Son Volt

neal cassady:

The Hungry Wolf - X

Uruk-Hai:

Kentucky Rain - Elvis Presley

Yankee23Fan:

Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks

Manster:

Strange Religion – Mark Lanegan

shuke:

You Get What You Give - New Radicals

rockaction:

For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her - Simon and Garfunkel

Mrs. Rannous:

Obvious Child - Paul SImon

New Binky the Doormat:

Ridin' The Storm Out - REO Speedwagon

Pip’s Invitation:

Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine - James Brown

Dr. Octopus:

Listen to Her Heart – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Val Rannous:

Longview - Green Day

Chaz McNulty:

Fortunate Son – Creedence Clearwater Revival

Don Quixote:

Take the “A” Train - Duke Ellington

Sullie:

Cliffs of Dover (Live - Austin City Limits) – Eric Johnson

jwb:

Keep on Loving You – REO Speedwagon

DrIanMalcolm:

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana

Hawks64:

I'm A King Bee – The Stone Foxes

MAC_32:

Danny's Song - Loggins & Messina

falguy:

Lookin' Out My Back Door - Creedence Clearwater Revival

simsarge:

The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson

worrierking:

Red Eyes – The War on Drugs

Eephus:

Shake Some Action - Flamin' Groovies

Hov34:

Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler) - Marvin Gaye

ditkaburgers:

Fantastic Voyage - Coolio

AAABatteries:

Ramblin' Man - The Allman Brothers Band

landryshat:

Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

Zegras11:

Basket Case - Green Day

Ilov80s:

Low - Cracker

Oliver Humanzee:

(I'm Gonna) Write Me a Letter - The Bassholes

The Dreaded Marco:

Good Times Roll - The Cars

Doug B:

You - The Cold

Last edited:
- More post-Uncle Tupelo-breakup stuff (Son Volt)
- A song from a band I'm going to see in concert in December! (X – going to their show on December 8)
- One of the "rain" songs I teased in a mini-quiz (Kentucky Rain)
- The second (2nd) appearance of two (2) songs (Fortunate Son and You Get What You Give)
- Some country **** (Fill in your own blank - there's always some country **** on here)
- A double-up battle between two songs from an 80s artist* (REO Speedwagon – Ridin’ the Storm Out vs. Keep On Loving You)
- Jazz! (Etta James/Duke Ellington)
- A song that references a portion of the name of one of our cats (Danny’s Song – our cat’s name is “Danny Says,” named after the Ramones song)
- A double-up battle between two songs from a 60s/70s artist* (CCR – Fortunate Son vs. Lookin’ out My Back Door)
- Aaa-wooooooo! (Werewolves of London)
- A double-up battle between two songs from a 90s/00s artist* (Green Day – Longview vs. Basket Case)
- A song title that is the same as the name of a previously selected artist (“Low” by Cracker – the band Low was selected twice earlier.)
- A double-up battle of an artist's solo work vs. his/her collaborative work (Paul Simon - For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her vs. Obvious Child)

Zegras11:

Basket Case - Green Day
As my kids got me into Green Day in 2005, I went back and really enjoy their early stuff.

In 2009, daughter and I saw them at a small place in Hollywood (1000 standing room and 300 balcony seats). I thought I would grab a balcony seat, since I was 50 at the time. Get there and both sections are actually reserved and wound up spending the entire show about 6-7 people away from Billie Joe. We were protected from the mosh pit by one guy that was a 5'6" linebacker dude. LOL. Good times.

I was surprised at the Chris Cornell/Audioslave vibes from the Zac Brown song on the recent Playlist.
My wife listens to country so I've known about Zac Brown ever since he had his first hits. At the time of this release, I had no idea that he had made an album with rock songs on it, so imagine my surprise when I turn on SNL and Zac Brown is playing a song that sounds like Audioslave with Chris Cornell. 😯
Look up any of his setlists and you'll see minimum 5 cover songs and he usually errs towards rock & roll. I mentioned my wife getting me into country before - he's the primary reason why.

Today is partly brought to you by new wave/herky jerky musical movements day!

The Cold was very cool. The Cars were always rolling on. Green Day's amphetamine spasms can be heard all the way here in the Inland Empire from an area not unlike where they grew up, one thinks.

krista4:

Tracks of My Tears – Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Pip’s Invitation:

I Say A Little Prayer - Aretha Franklin
falguy:

Rubberband Man - The Spinners
AAABatteries:

Georgia on My Mind - Ray Charles
@AAABatteries , these are the five songs I knew.

Dr. Octopus:

Kiss – Prince

jwb:

Hey Nineteen – Steely Dan

@Zegras11 - no clue how you only knew 5 songs, and this is coming from someone who has probably known about 50% of the songs so far.

Those two songs, of course, I've heard before. Had no idea of the song titles though. As brilliant as Prince is, was never really into his music. That particular song was always an instant channel change. I like some Steeley Dan songs, but many (not this one) are like nails on the chalkboard for me and instant channel changers also. Oh, hi Peg.

I knew 10 today!!

Number 25:

jwb:

Gonna comment on this one for now before listening to the many I don't know. This was a replacement for my one post-2000 song that ended up ineligible (Cough Syrup by Young the Giant). I'm listening to my main work playlist while thinking of a replacement, and figured "first one that's eligible and I like enough is it", and this one came on next. Ok then.

Really like the pace and layers of music in this tune - like it could explode but never does. I remember it being not only a monster hit, but the first album/band that I remember seeing a TV commercial for. It's also really well-produced - it sounds fantastic on a good audiophile system. I have a pretty nice 2-channel setup here, and it definitely influences how I feel about certain songs as opposed to hearing them on a car radio or whatnot. And cool - 2 REO Speedwagon songs today. Not sure how many more we'll see, but happy they are in the mix.

Number 25:

Chaz McNulty:

I didn't really start loving this song until around 4 years ago (I liked it, but never considered how much of a classic it was). My oldest daughter chose it for her 'walk-up' song in softball. At first I thought it was a really weird choice considering most of the other girls were doing modern songs and a lot of rap songs. But the response this got from all the parents was overwhelming. I even had a parent from another team come up to us after the game and told her that he was rooting for her to get a hit because she was obviously the coolest kid out there.

It will always have a place in my heart.

Number 25:

krista4:

Roadrunner – The Modern Lovers

Just Win Baby:

Here Comes a Regular (1985), from Tim - The Replacements

simey:

I'd Rather Go Blind – Etta James

scorchy:

Tear Stained Eye – Son Volt

neal cassady:

The Hungry Wolf - X

Uruk-Hai:

Yankee23Fan:

Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks

Manster:

Strange Religion – Mark Lanegan

shuke:

You Get What You Give - New Radicals

rockaction:

For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her - Simon and Garfunkel

Mrs. Rannous:

Obvious Child - Paul SImon

New Binky the Doormat:

Ridin' The Storm Out - REO Speedwagon

Pip’s Invitation:

Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine - James Brown

Dr. Octopus:

Listen to Her Heart – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Val Rannous:

Longview - Green Day

Chaz McNulty:

Don Quixote:

Take the “A” Train - Duke Ellington

Sullie:

Cliffs of Dover (Live - Austin City Limits) – Eric Johnson

jwb:

DrIanMalcolm:

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana

Hawks64:

I'm A King Bee – The Stone Foxes

MAC_32:

Danny's Song - Loggins & Messina

falguy:

Lookin' Out My Back Door - Creedence Clearwater Revival

simsarge:

The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson

worrierking:

Red Eyes – The War on Drugs

Eephus:

Shake Some Action - Flamin' Groovies

Hov34:

Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler) - Marvin Gaye

ditkaburgers:

Fantastic Voyage - Coolio

AAABatteries:

Ramblin' Man - The Allman Brothers Band

landryshat:

Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

Zegras11:

Basket Case - Green Day

Ilov80s:

Low - Cracker

Oliver Humanzee:

(I'm Gonna) Write Me a Letter - The Bassholes

The Dreaded Marco:

Good Times Roll - The Cars

Doug B:

You - The Cold
So a few things with the list today. You by The Cold isn't on spotify that I can find. The only Garth Brooks on spotify is live stuff so you get live Garth :)

ETA - I'll get my top picks of the last few rounds later today or Monday. Way too much cooking going on today to do much else other than drink.

I knew most of today's songs. And then there were a couple that I have heard before but need to revisit because they are album tracks on discs I haven't listened to in more than a decade.

Today's known-to-me winners:

Smells Like Teen Spirit -- Nirvana (DrIanMalcolm) -- but you knew that if you've read some of my previous posts
Fortunate Son -- Creedence Clearwater Revival (Chaz)
Roadrunner -- The Modern Lovers (Krista4)
Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) -- Marvin Gaye (Hov34)
Listen to Her Heart -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Doc Oc)
Take the "A" Train -- Duke Ellington (Don Quixote)
Longview -- Green Day (Val Rannous)
Ridin' the Storm Out -- REO Speedwagon (Binky)
Werewolves of London -- Warren Zevon (Landryshat)

Uruk-Hai:

My mother was my earliest musical influence. She had this - to me - amazing LP collection when I was little. Fats, Johnny Cash, Bobby Darin, Julie London, Ray Charles, Sinatra, Judy Garland. And Elvis.....so much Elvis. Being a kid, I didn't have any idea what was "good" or "bad" music (narrator: he still doesn't). Whatever sounded good to me in the moment was what I liked. This was years before the song I chose was recorded.

When my father was in the dementia section of an assisted living facility 9 or 10 years ago, I was visiting and stayed at my mother's house. One night, she & I got to talking about music. I knew she was one of the first prime Elvis fans, being like 13 years old when he hit big. I asked her what her favorite Elvis song was, thinking she'd pick something like "Can't Help Falling In Love.." or "Don't Be Cruel". Instead, she said "Kentucky Rain". It had long been one of my favorites, but I was surprised she chose it.

I shouldn't have been, though. Like most of Elvis' best stuff, it's hard to pigeonhole this record to a genre. It's not really rock, not really country, not really soul - but a weird concoction of all of those that only he could make work in that way he had. It was recorded in Memphis, because where else.....?

The older I get, the more music about reconciliation and finding a place to fit in resonates with me. I'd like to think that I knew this on some level at 8 years old when "Kentucky Rain" was released. Probably not, though. I'm guessing it was Ronnie Milsap's gorgeous piano, the bend-but-don't-break rhythm section, and the ache in Presley's voice that appealed to me.

I think it's a beautiful record and the fact that my mother - still kicking! - loves it, makes it all the easier to place it on my list.

I haven’t begun to dig in to the list but I’m a happy man seeing CCR on the list twice today. Top 10 band all-time for me even with a short catalogue.

There’s a handful of artists that a chump like me just has never appreciated. The King is one of them. I think he had an amazing voice but he seems like a time and place kind of guy - my Mother adores him still. He’s almost always an insta-change when he comes on - sorry @Uruk-Hai

There’s a handful of artists that a chump like me just has never appreciated. The King is one of them. I think he had an amazing voice but he seems like a time and place kind of guy - my Mother adores him still. He’s almost always an insta-change when he comes on - sorry @Uruk-Hai
It's all good, my friend. We're all adults here and can discuss things honestly with no burnt skin. (y)

(I hope every team you root for loses every game they play from here to eternity unless they are playing Notre Dame)

@krista4
Dont follow is on the Jar of Flies EP that was realeased early in '94. They went into the studio with basically no material written, and came out with Jar Flies in like a week, which, imo, is incredible. The EP is amazing!

Don't Follow is hauntingly beautiful. The first half is Jerry Cantrell trying to save his friend, Layne Staley, who sings the second part.....it's a conversation of what was really going on with them at the time. Staley was back on heroin during the making of J of F.

Staley never performed Don't Follow on stage. He left the band, and largely became a recluse, with his heroin habit in '96.....he died alone in '02 from an OD. It was sad. He was Uber talented, but could never get past his demons.

@krista4
Dont follow is on the Jar of Flies EP that was realeased early in '94. They went into the studio with basically no material written, and came out with Jar Flies in like a week, which, imo, is incredible. The EP is amazing!

Don't Follow is hauntingly beautiful. The first half is Jerry Cantrell trying to save his friend, Layne Staley, who sings the second part.....it's a conversation of what was really going on with them at the time. Staley was back on heroin during the making of J of F.

Staley never performed Don't Follow on stage. He left the band, and largely became a recluse, with his heroin habit in '96.....he died alone in '02 from an OD. It was sad. He was Uber talented, but could never get past his demons.

Thanks for the background on all of this! I'll re-listen for the "conversation," which I'm sure will make me appreciate it even more.

The song I took today - Ramblin Man - is one of the few Allman Bros. songs I like. But something about that song seems “big” to me - not even sure I can explain it. I think there’s many folks that can relate to it I guess.
Allman Bros is one of those bands I don't think of about often but then I hear songs from them and it's always damn...that's a great song....I forgot that this was an Allman Bros song, so good...just over and over. Very much like Elton John for me.

It's all good, my friend. We're all adults here and can discuss things honestly with no burnt skin. (y)

(I hope every team you root for loses every game they play from here to eternity unless they are playing Notre Dame)
:hifive:

@krista4

Seems to be a very common thing in the arts. Amazingly talented people that have so many demons that they succumb to them. So sad.

My top 5 from round 25 excluding my own choice:
A lot of other great songs in this round, this was my toughest top 5 yet (well, other than round 26, which I haven't done yet, since I need to actually listen to so many songs not familiar to me...).

Going with "Here Comes a Regular" as my favorite from today. Special shout-out as well to "Danny's Song." I was sure I knew this but couldn't remember anything about it, until I pulled it up on YouTube to find a link. Immediately remembered the song and ended up listening all the way through (usually when I'm searching for links I just copy one and move on). What a beautiful song. I'll bet MAC has a story behind this one.

Tons today that I don't know.

Jamming out to the list, watching the Lions beat up on the GMen.

Songs that maybe should have made my list

1. Inner City Blues- Marvin Gaye
2. Red Eyes- The War on Drugs
3. Shake Some Action- The Groovies

Nice to see some love for

1. Take the A Train- Duke Ellington
2.Roadrunner- Modern Love
3. Kentucky Rain- Elvis

Also, I realize I need to dive into The Replacements, loved that song. My biggest surprise so far is how many times Son Volt has been taken. I very much underestimated their popularity.

The song I took today - Ramblin Man - is one of the few Allman Bros. songs I like. But something about that song seems “big” to me - not even sure I can explain it. I think there’s many folks that can relate to it I guess.
Allman Bros is one of those bands I don't think of about often but then I hear songs from them and it's always damn...that's a great song....I forgot that this was an Allman Bros song, so good...just over and over. Very much like Elton John for me.

love the Allmans. Fillmore East is my desert island album. So good.

I'm a King Bee
Shake Some Action
I'm rather shocked these are new to you, simey.
I knew the song I'm a King Bee, but I've never heard of The Stone Foxes, so that version is new to me, and I like it. It may be my favorite version. I don't know the song Shake Some Action or the band Flamin' Groovies. I was just checking out their album, and I like it!

Favorite Five for list #25:

Here Comes A Regular
Tear Stained Eye
Danny's Song
Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)
Low

Favorite new to me song(s)

I'm a King Bee
Shake Some Action
This is pretty surprising to me as this song was part of a huge ad push by Jack Daniels for Tennesee Honey

This is pretty surprising to me as this song was part of a huge ad push by Jack Daniels for Tennesee Honey
I have not seen any ads for Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey. Maybe I'm sheltered and didn't know it.
Interesting, I recall it being in heavy rotation last winter or the winter before during football. Regardless, glad you enjoyed it. I really like The Stone Foxes.

Interesting, I recall it being in heavy rotation last winter or the winter before during football. Regardless, glad you enjoyed it. I really like The Stone Foxes.
I must have been tuned out during those commercials. I am watching the Panthers vs Ravens game, and I can't tell you any commercial that has come on during the game. Have you ever had Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey?

I must have been tuned out during those commercials. I am watching the Panthers vs Ravens game, and I can't tell you any commercial that has come on during the game. Have you ever had Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey?
God no...if I'm drinking whiskey it will be whiskey not some JD abomination :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread