What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre bonus deadline pushed back again. (1 Viewer)

Kleck.

Footballguy
Been hearing the deadline on Favre's roster bonus has been pushed back once again. The new date will be after the NFL draft.Edit:

Packers, Favre Push Deadline Back To July 27John Clayton, ESPN.com - [Full Article]The Associated Press reported on Friday that the Green Bay Packers and quarterback Brett Favre have agreed to push back the deadline date for his $3 million roster bonus to July 27, the fourth time this spring that the roster bonus deadline has been delayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. If the Packers go through the draft and then Favre drops the news on them that he's hanging up the cleats, I'd be :hot: if I were a player/coach/fan. It seems like he's waiting around to see what they Packers do to improve themselves before the season. News flash: unless there are some juicy June 1 cuts, Favre is delaying the inevitable for nothing. Ryan Pickett replaces Grady Jackson, they sign a "maybe" at safety and a couple of scrubby kickers. If Favre is waiting to see if the team brings in 2-3 studly O-Lineman and some much-needed help on defense, he might as well :bye: right now.

Edited to add: LB Ben Taylor was a good signing IMHO, but still not-nearly enough to give Favre a chance at one more run at a title with the Pack.

Wow. If the Packers go through the draft and then Favre drops the news on them that he's hanging up the cleats, I'd be :hot: if I were a player/coach/fan. It seems like he's waiting around to see what they Packers do to improve themselves before the season. News flash: unless there are some juicy June 1 cuts, Favre is delaying the inevitable for nothing. Ryan Pickett replaces Grady Jackson, they sign a "maybe" at safety and a couple of scrubby kickers. If Favre is waiting to see if the team brings in 2-3 studly O-Lineman and some much-needed help on defense, he might as well :bye: right now.

Edited to add: LB Ben Taylor was a good signing IMHO, but still not-nearly enough to give Favre a chance at one more run at a title with the Pack.
Favre can go pack sand. Nice to know you Brett but this prima donna :bs: is tainting the ole legacy. I just hope he doesn't pull the grandaddy of all QB moves and cries at his retirement announcement. I honestly think the Packers are proceeding as if he's not going to be there. All signs point to this. And it should be that way. He's over the hill and as much a detriment to their future success as he is a help. The team will not move forward on Brett's shoulders.

Can someone argue on Favre's side about all this crap about him not being able to decide ... a friend of mine is a huge favre supporter and will defend him to his grave, but I think favre is being ridiculous. i don't understand why some people support his non-decision ....

Can someone argue on Favre's side about all this crap about him not being able to decide ... a friend of mine is a huge favre supporter and will defend him to his grave, but I think favre is being ridiculous. i don't understand why some people support his non-decision ....
Id rather Favre give an answer but Im not totally ready to hang him up because of this. He is a legend and has done a lot for the Green Bay Packers so Im sorta fine with him delaying his announcement. The main reason I am content with his decisions is that if the Packers front office really wanted a decision out of him they would get one or they would send him packing. I dont think Thompson or anyone would jeopordize a whole organization like that. They wouldnt keep delaying his bonus if they were really pressing for an answer.Now if the front office were really pressing for an answer and they felt like Favre was holding the team hostage, then Favre needs to light a fire under his ### and make a decision. As of right now though, I dont get that feeling.

The most likely scenario I see is this:

Favre has been asking and asking for the team to 'improve'. After the draft, it will be easy for him to defend those statements. He'll come back and say that the draft went great for the Pack and he's very excited with the new guys and how they can fit in. This serves a whole bunch of purposes.

1. It gives Favre that 'window' to not be a hypocrite with all the statements he's made. A good draft can certainly be looked at as major improvements. He saves face here...all is forgiven in Wisconsin.

2. It gives Ted Thompson's credibility a boost. If Favre tells the media and fans in Green Bay that he thinks he did a great job in the off season AND he comes back...the people will love him. He "saved" Brett plus he did a great job for the future. That's the best he could look.

3. It gives the young guys confidence. AJ Hawk or whoever plus the 2nd and 3rd rounders can think, "Wow. Favre is coming back because he thinks I can be a difference maker." Nice little confidence boost.

This is win-win-win for everybody. I don't any other scenario that works out as well as this.

I wonder if it pushes the deadline so far into the future that people will not suspect a "random" appearance at the Packer Draft Party on the 29th to announce intentions of a return.

Sort of like Fan Fest last year - although I think we knew shortly before that - but this time the draft party.

I'd also be curious to see how it pans out if at that draft party, 1) Favre says he's coming back, 2) GB drafts Young, Leinart, or even Cutler, and 3) Aaron Rodgers is signing autographs at the time. :rolleyes:

Draft Party

I can't pretend to know what's going on in Favre's mind but were I to speculate:1) He very much wants to continue playing, as a Packer. However, he can't envision coming back to a team that's as bad as last year. Therefore, he keeps waiting for some reason, any reason to convince himself the team has improved enough to make a run. Thus far, he hasn't seen it, which is why he keeps delaying the decision.

2) The Packers will, by virtue of picking 5th, come away with a player that should help the team immediately. If Thompson has a decent enough draft beyond that, I personally think that will be enough for Favre to delude himself into thinking the Packers have improved "enough."

While I don't agree with the way Favre's handling this situation, I don't hold it against him either. He's delaying the decision because the Packers brass is allowing him to, plain and simple. It's so painfully obvious that they're banking on his return that he's now holding all the cards.

I can't pretend to know what's going on in Favre's mind but were I to speculate:1) He very much wants to continue playing, as a Packer. However, he can't envision coming back to a team that's as bad as last year. Therefore, he keeps waiting for some reason, any reason to convince himself the team has improved enough to make a run. Thus far, he hasn't seen it, which is why he keeps delaying the decision.

2) The Packers will, by virtue of picking 5th, come away with a player that should help the team immediately. If Thompson has a decent enough draft beyond that, I personally think that will be enough for Favre to delude himself into thinking the Packers have improved "enough."

While I don't agree with the way Favre's handling this situation, I don't hold it against him either. He's delaying the decision because the Packers brass is allowing him to, plain and simple. It's so painfully obvious that they're banking on his return that he's now holding all the cards.
here is one reporters take...
Brett Favre sounds like he wants to play again, but doesn't look like he wants to play for the Packers. The solution: Trade him to a contender. There are two logical spots for Favre: 1) Dallas. This is likely Bill Parcells' final year -- why else sign off on Terrell Owens? -- and Favre gives him a much better shot at the Super Bowl than Drew Bledsoe; 2) Baltimore. Many of the pieces are in place -- especially an excellent defense -- and Favre would be a great one-year fit.

-- New York Daily News

Brett Favre sounds like he wants to play again, but doesn't look like he wants to play for the Packers. The solution: Trade him to a contender. There are two logical spots for Favre: 1) Dallas. This is likely Bill Parcells' final year -- why else sign off on Terrell Owens? -- and Favre gives him a much better shot at the Super Bowl than Drew Bledsoe; 2) Baltimore. Many of the pieces are in place -- especially an excellent defense -- and Favre would be a great one-year fit.

-- New York Daily News
John Madden expressed the same view (that Favre wants to be traded, not about going to Dallas) on NFL Total Access last week.

-- New York Daily News
Seems like the city and fans of green bay would be devastated if favrvree were to play for another team ... WoW though, i could see him doing very well in either of these systems.The whole situation has made me think farvrev is a bit more selfish though ... I know playing for a poor team isn't as fun, but people do it all time. How does that make his teammates feel when he acts like he's too good to play with them? That's why I really don't get ...

-- New York Daily News
Seems like the city and fans of green bay would be devastated if favrvree were to play for another team ... WoW though, i could see him doing very well in either of these systems.The whole situation has made me think farvrev is a bit more selfish though ... I know playing for a poor team isn't as fun, but people do it all time. How does that make his teammates feel when he acts like he's too good to play with them? That's why I really don't get ...
Aside from Aaron Rodgers, I would bet there's not a player on Green Bay's roster that would rather have Favre retire or get traded than return to play for the Packers in 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread