What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre...I beg you (1 Viewer)

I doubt his legacy gets tarnished at all, no matter what happens.Time is kind to most, people forget the way most players end their career. People always bring up certain players for hanging around too long, but does anyone really think less of a guy because he played too long?
People still talk around 40 years later about Willy Mays' inglorious exit from baseball in a Mets uniform
They do?
They bring it up when they talk about a player hanging around too long. But that's it. No one claims Mays wasn't an all-time great, so those Mets days really had no negative affect on his legacy. Franco Harris finished his career in Seattle, OJ Simpson in San Fran, all kinds of guys stick around longer than the fans think they should. I have a problem with Favre waffling, but only because it's not fair to anyone in Green Bay. I'm not worried about his legacy.
;)

I doubt his legacy gets tarnished at all, no matter what happens.

Time is kind to most, people forget the way most players end their career. People always bring up certain players for hanging around too long, but does anyone really think less of a guy because he played too long?
People still talk around 40 years later about Willy Mays' inglorious exit from baseball in a Mets uniform
They do?
They bring it up when they talk about a player hanging around too long. But that's it. No one claims Mays wasn't an all-time great, so those Mets days really had no negative affect on his legacy. Franco Harris finished his career in Seattle, OJ Simpson in San Fran, all kinds of guys stick around longer than the fans think they should. I have a problem with Favre waffling, but only because it's not fair to anyone in Green Bay. I'm not worried about his legacy.
:rant: I'm not saying it doesn't invalidate what he's accomplished, but how people retire does or at least can come up if it's particularly awkward or something.

...they both throw on their cheddar-colored latex suits and spring into action.
I've got no dog in this fight, as I could give 2 @#%!%s* whether Fav-ruh plays or not, but that's the best part of the whole thread, right there. :rant:Someone needs to start mass producing those suits in Wisconsin. They'd make a killing.

I'd love to see Favre come back ... on another team. There is something to how he's jacked the team around a bit. And besides, Aaron Rodgers is ready to take the team over. Just free Favre up and let's see how he tarnishes himself if he does at all. Montana went to KC. Maybe Favre should do the same. He shouldn't go back to GB and there's no way in hell his fans would forgive him if he played for the Bears. For those saying, it's all cool with whatever he decides to do, then I say it should be for whatever team will allow him to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, looks the same. His legacy will be for (a) being an ironman, (b) throwing untilmely INTs, and © for throwing the ball as hard as any other QB ever has.

These will remain unchanged. He will now also be rememberred for his annual indecision (what some say is drama queeness, although I disagree).

The only way this will change is if he signs with Vikings and then can only play part of the season and gets injured again. If he just plays mediocre but starts all games, his legacy stays the same.

i guess Favre just cant stand not playing. i understand. this is what he's done all his life and he cant let go.

that said, he's being selfish. people have grown weary of the yearly Favre media coverage. he needs to just retire and find something else to do. if he plays again this yr, he's gonna put that INT record outta reach. and he's liable to break a hip or something.

Nah, looks the same. His legacy will be for (a) being an ironman, (b) throwing untilmely INTs, and © for throwing the ball as hard as any other QB ever has.These will remain unchanged. He will now also be rememberred for his annual indecision (what some say is drama queeness, although I disagree). The only way this will change is if he signs with Vikings and then can only play part of the season and gets injured again. If he just plays mediocre but starts all games, his legacy stays the same.
I think Favre enjoys the attention, given how easily he could avoid it and how every other player seems to avoid it when their retirement window rolls around. And how many years in a row he has pulled this stunt now.I think a lot of people have seen the veneer pulled off of Favre: the way he has put his need for attention (or whatever his need is) above the Packer's practical need to plan drafting decisions the past few years.Then the position he put them in and the distraction he caused when he decided to unretire the first time.Then the little matter of providing info to the Lions last year.Then this year the dalliance with the Vikings - just to try and stick it to Green Bay mgmt - the hell with all his career-long Packer fans who will have to watch him play for a hated rival.But where I really think people will see Favre's true nature is during this season when the inevitable situation arises where Favre should be benched, either due to poor play or injury, and nobody will be able to figure out why the Vikings are too stupid to do it. It won't be because the Vikings are stupid, it will be because of Favre's consecutive games started record. As soon as that streak ends, I think Favre will be mentally done for both the season and his career - that's when the retirement will finally be for real.IMO his streak is his main driver now - with his desire to screw the Packers over as his secondary motivation.No problems if anyone disagrees... but I think his actions over the past 4 seasons have shown his true character.Prior to his actions the past 4 years, I had nothing but respect for the guy.Now I respect his play on the field, but think he's a selfish jerk.So no doubt he has tarnished his legacy for me personally.

Nah, looks the same. His legacy will be for (a) being an ironman, (b) throwing untilmely INTs, and © for throwing the ball as hard as any other QB ever has.These will remain unchanged. He will now also be rememberred for his annual indecision (what some say is drama queeness, although I disagree). The only way this will change is if he signs with Vikings and then can only play part of the season and gets injured again. If he just plays mediocre but starts all games, his legacy stays the same.
I think Favre enjoys the attention, given how easily he could avoid it and how every other player seems to avoid it when their retirement window rolls around. And how many years in a row he has pulled this stunt now.I think a lot of people have seen the veneer pulled off of Favre: the way he has put his need for attention (or whatever his need is) above the Packer's practical need to plan drafting decisions the past few years.Then the position he put them in and the distraction he caused when he decided to unretire the first time.Then the little matter of providing info to the Lions last year.Then this year the dalliance with the Vikings - just to try and stick it to Green Bay mgmt - the hell with all his career-long Packer fans who will have to watch him play for a hated rival.But where I really think people will see Favre's true nature is during this season when the inevitable situation arises where Favre should be benched, either due to poor play or injury, and nobody will be able to figure out why the Vikings are too stupid to do it. It won't be because the Vikings are stupid, it will be because of Favre's consecutive games started record. As soon as that streak ends, I think Favre will be mentally done for both the season and his career - that's when the retirement will finally be for real.IMO his streak is his main driver now - with his desire to screw the Packers over as his secondary motivation.No problems if anyone disagrees... but I think his actions over the past 4 seasons have shown his true character.Prior to his actions the past 4 years, I had nothing but respect for the guy.Now I respect his play on the field, but think he's a selfish jerk.So no doubt he has tarnished his legacy for me personally.
:thumbup: not sure his streak is the main motivator though. i think he just wants to play. he cant let go. he retires after a season is over, gets bored, and then starts F'in with everybody again.agreed on the streak possibly keeping him on the field when he shouldnt be out there.

:goodposting: not sure his streak is the main motivator though. i think he just wants to play. he cant let go. he retires after a season is over, gets bored, and then starts F'in with everybody again.

agreed on the streak possibly keeping him on the field when he shouldnt be out there.

I want a lot of things but that doesn't mean I can or should do them....he might WANT to play again but clearly he isn't ABLE to play at the level that a top tier NFL player does. I love the ironman Brett and the guy that left his heart on the field. Now he is lible to leave his arm and shoulder on the field too!

Umm...Two of the past 3 years Favre has been top 10 Fantasy QB and 3 of past 5 yearsto 10.

Of course, he would get fewer attmepts in Minny, but those saying he will embarrass himself or need to be benched based on poor play are aruging against data and history.

Yeah, he could get injured. And he surely has proven to be injury prone, for crying out loud. :rolleyes:

But to think he will play that bad if healthy are just whacked. I say 23 or so TDs and 17 INTs and 475 attempts. That could be good enough to get them to the NFC championship if the DEF plays well enough.

No legacy tarnished based on on-the-field play.

Geez.

The guy wants to play. We all know that. Turns out he wants to be sure his arm is up to it so he doesn't have to play in pain or let the team down.

Not really a federal crime to want to be sure and take as much time as is available before training camp.

Would the Favre haters just start their own thread with an appropriate title or what?

Geez.

The guy wants to play. We all know that. Turns out he wants to be sure his arm is up to it so he doesn't have to play in pain or let the team down.

Not really a federal crime to want to be sure and take as much time as is available before training camp.

Would the Favre haters just start their own thread with an appropriate title or what?
:confused: Have you been Gullible your whole life or are you really young?

I am 43 years of age.

I stand by the statement, although I would add that he probably wants to wait right before camp to announce so there is one hooplah, not 2.

I think you are also aware by comments in other threads that I think signing him is probably a poor idea for the Vikings with regard to long term benefits to the team and that delaying the announcement is not great for the team either.

But we are speaking of his motivation, and I thin he actually does want to be sure his arm is right. It is a psychology thing and although you might call it "gullible", and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, I do have a Ph.D. in psychology and have watched about every play he has ever made including every snap last season.

All the hatred does is push you toward the Dark Side, my friend

Edited to add: And if you read my characterization of his legacy above I also do not think it is blind fandom-type material. But I think self-interested as his delay might be (or not) I think it is not at all about the drama and he would prefer it was all quietly handled.

Manster said:
Das Boot said:
ookook said:
:mellow: not sure his streak is the main motivator though. i think he just wants to play. he cant let go. he retires after a season is over, gets bored, and then starts F'in with everybody again.agreed on the streak possibly keeping him on the field when he shouldnt be out there.
It will be interesting to see how Vikings fans react if/when Favre passes Jim Marshall's mark of 282 consecutive game starts.

Turns out he wants to be sure his arm is up to it so he doesn't have to play in pain or let the team down.
Bull.He wants lots of money.He wants lots of press coverage.He wants to practice a little as possible.He wants a guaranteed starting job.He wants a ready-made excuse to avoid criticism (the health of his arm).He wants the streak alive.

I am 43 years of age.

I stand by the statement, although I would add that he probably wants to wait right before camp to announce so there is one hooplah, not 2.

I think you are also aware by comments in other threads that I think signing him is probably a poor idea for the Vikings with regard to long term benefits to the team and that delaying the announcement is not great for the team either.

But we are speaking of his motivation, and I thin he actually does want to be sure his arm is right. It is a psychology thing and although you might call it "gullible", and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, I do have a Ph.D. in psychology and have watched about every play he has ever made including every snap last season.

Edited to add: And if you read my characterization of his legacy above I also do not think it is blind fandom-type material. But I think self-interested as his delay might be (or not) I think it is not at all about the drama and he would prefer it was all quietly handled.
If Favre had his way he would live in Miss. and fly in every Sunday for games. This is Favre's MO, he loves playing the game but hates the prep (who doesn't). Just because I don't believe his excuses any more doesn't make me a hater. HTHThat hater crap gets real old and it is really sad that a guy with a Ph.D. in psychology uses it.

Turns out he wants to be sure his arm is up to it so he doesn't have to play in pain or let the team down.
Bull.He wants lots of money.He wants lots of press coverage.He wants to practice a little as possible.He wants a guaranteed starting job.He wants a ready-made excuse to avoid criticism (the health of his arm).He wants the streak alive.
I guess that pretty much covers it.

I am 43 years of age.

If Favre had his way he would live in Miss. and fly in every Sunday for games. This is Favre's MO, he loves playing the game but hates the prep (who doesn't). Just because I don't believe his excuses any more doesn't make me a hater. HTHThat hater crap gets real old and it is really sad that a guy with a Ph.D. in psychology uses it.
You are one of the biggest Favre haters here and you have openly embraced that. :mellow:

I think there are a whole lot of people --- I know for a fact there is at least one --- who were either neutral or fans of Favre two years ago, who are now haters (for some reason). Which thread should we post in?

I am 43 years of age.

You are one of the biggest Favre haters here and you have openly embraced that. :thumbup:
I have absolutely no reason to hate Favre, I don't even know him.

Sorry, but characterizing people who disagree with you about an athlete as "haters" does nothing to further discussion. It would be equally dismissive if I referred to you as a Favre-licker, for example, and would denigrate what you have to say. I disagree with you, you disagree with me. That says nothing personally about either of us. Please stop the simplistic characterizations.

Sorry, but characterizing people who disagree with you about an athlete as "haters" does nothing to further discussion. It would be equally dismissive if I referred to you as a Favre-licker, for example, and would denigrate what you have to say. I disagree with you, you disagree with me. That says nothing personally about either of us. Please stop the simplistic characterizations.
B. Favre has always been overrated and if and when the 'ESPN love' ever slows down, his play will be looked at more objectively (we hope !). His playoff record is abysmal and he has become a 'primma donna' who only cares about himself and not the team. Favre fans fell for the media hype, but that's all it was...media hype.

I am 43 years of age.

You are one of the biggest Favre haters here and you have openly embraced that. :goodposting:
I have absolutely no reason to hate Favre, I don't even know him.
You are pathetic. You have been quoted in this forum stating you hate Favre. You also have accused Favre have of having press conferences during Super Bowl week for many years even though it only happened ONE year. You are one of the biggest Favre haters here. Why do you deny that?

B. Favre has always been overrated and if and when the 'ESPN love' ever slows down, his play will be looked at more objectively (we hope !). His playoff record is abysmal and he has become a 'primma donna' who only cares about himself and not the team. Favre fans fell for the media hype, but that's all it was...media hype.
Media hype? Go look at his records and how he played the game. It is one thing to rip Favre for how he handled the offseason but to then rip him for how he played the game and his records is a complete joke. He deserves to get crap for his offseason antics but not for how he played on the field.

Anyone that has read this board over the last several years knows that you are one of the Favre haters. Oh yes.......you are.

The hate is really silly IMO.

Why should Favre care what any one of us thinks about him? Would you care what anyone here thought of you if you had the chance to make tens of millions of dollars and play professional football for a year (on a good team at that)?

The hate is really silly IMO.Why should Favre care what any one of us thinks about him? Would you care what anyone here thought of you if you had the chance to make tens of millions of dollars and play professional football for a year (on a good team at that)?
Because for some people they seem to feel better about themselves when they can rip on successful athletes.

Media hype? Go look at his records and how he played the game. It is one thing to rip Favre for how he handled the offseason but to then rip him for how he played the game and his records is a complete joke. He deserves to get crap for his offseason antics but not for how he played on the field.
How he played 'the game' ? Do you mean his recent playoff games ? I can easily recall playoff losses to New York, Atlanta, St. Louis, Philadelphia and Minnesota. Plus some late season meltdowns in the regular season like Jets last season.Of course, his longevity and durability can not be questioned. And no doubt he produced fantastic results in the regular season. But when the season was on the line, he much more often than not failed to deliver. The media never called him on it. Still haven't.

How he played 'the game' ? Do you mean his recent playoff games ? I can easily recall playoff losses to New York, Atlanta, St. Louis, Philadelphia and Minnesota. Plus some late season meltdowns in the regular season like Jets last season.Of course, his longevity and durability can not be questioned. And no doubt he produced fantastic results in the regular season. But when the season was on the line, he much more often than not failed to deliver. The media never called him on it. Still haven't.
Meh. Sometimes he chokes in playoff games and sometimes he is clutch. Has gone "both ways" plenty, so to speak. We can say this about Payton Manning as well, thinking of some losses to NE.Favre just had the advantage of winning a superbowl fairly early so he he was not labelled as "not being able to win the big game". But he surely makes bad throws a lot at teh end of close games on in OT.This is largely why he is not a top 10 QB of all time.

I would like to think I take a reasonably balanced view of Favre and his career.

I just get nixed when people suggest he cannot play the game when the evidence is to the contrary.

He CAN play. Yes, he makes lots of bad decisions, this can be coached. He seems to do worse toward the end of the season, not sure what this means. Saying he cannot play ignores the numbers or selectively cites them.

But all the focus only on disparaging his motivations without citing the other side of the coin (e.g., the guy did just have surgery after playing throw pain and injury) is pretty silly and old.

If he plays for the Vikings, it would have been best for the team if he had announced a couple weeks ago. I will take him at his word that his uncertainty is based on not knowing if his arm is up to it. Why? That seems reasonable and plausible for ANYONE who is that age, was in pain throwing for like the last 6 games, and had recent surgery on his arm that is critical for playing QB.

He doesn't want to do it if he cannot do it well. Other there other competing explanations? Sure, but none are as credible or likely IMO.

Tarnishing his legacy is a bit over the top. Legacies are made on the field and tarnished by beating one's wife or stabbing someone in a streetfight outside a club. Not by waiting until training camp starts to show up or not. Lots and lots of players hold out and other nonesense after camp starts without such talk.

If he does not show to training camp and still later signs that would be a bigger problem for me.

The rest is just media hype that gets followed way too closely in the 24/7 news cycle of today.

When one only discusses the unfavorable explanations one is prejudiced.

If you find "hater" an inadequate description, that is fine.

But that is what is seems like to me. Do you like the guy based on what you know? Are you neutral? Or do you tend to dislike him?

If the Phoo XXXX, wear it.

Meh. Sometimes he chokes in playoff games and sometimes he is clutch. Has gone "both ways" plenty, so to speak. We can say this about Payton Manning as well, thinking of some losses to NE.

Favre just had the advantage of winning a superbowl fairly early so he he was not labelled as "not being able to win the big game". But he surely makes bad throws a lot at teh end of close games on in OT.

This is largely why he is not a top 10 QB of all time.
Hater!

When one only discusses the unfavorable explanations one is prejudiced. If you find "hater" an inadequate description, that is fine. But that is what is seems like to me. Do you like the guy based on what you know? Are you neutral? Or do you tend to dislike him?If the Phoo XXXX, wear it.
:o Clearly this topic is very, very important to you...

When one only discusses the unfavorable explanations one is prejudiced. If you find "hater" an inadequate description, that is fine. But that is what is seems like to me. Do you like the guy based on what you know? Are you neutral? Or do you tend to dislike him?If the Phoo XXXX, wear it.
The problem stems from the fact that "hater" is used as a dengrating term, when the reality is that Favre has done more then enough to recieve significant criticism.I used to love Favre. Four years ago, he would have been listed among my favorite all-time players. Now...I'm simply sick of him, and not just because of the media hype.I suspect there are MANY fans who feel the same way. In a team game, I expect my heros to be a bit more team oriented. I used to think Favre was...now I'm convinced he isn't.Use the term "hater" if you must, but it's misplaced, and unfair. My feelings towards Favre are much like they are towards my (soon to be)X-wife. Maybe I'll feel a little more charitable in a few years...but let's discuss it then.

Do you like the guy based on what you know? Are you neutral? Or do you tend to dislike him?
Read the thread.
I do have a Ph.D. in psychology
If the Phoo XXXX, wear it.
This is good stuff.
Well, quoting people out of context is good fun, but really doesn't do so much to advance discussion. I guess we all have different reasons for visiting these boards.

It turns out that sometimes we are aware of our prejudices and sometimes not so much. Some of them are more rational, some less so. For example, I have never liked Tom Brady. I think he gets way too much credit for what the team has accomplished. I realize I am being irrational at some level, I just cannot help it (although I generally try to supress it).

And some people are also way too serious.

"Phoo! Phoo!" <<hesaidwipinghisshoe>>

(Or perhaps "Foo! Foo!")

Edited to add: I guess it is Foo.

The "Foo" bird

In ancient times there was a community known as the Goodnu's. As all communities did in these times the Goodnu's lived right on the river bank for trading, transportation and sustenance. Water was almighty and worshipped as a God. One day there was a tremendous hurricane far out in the ocean. It's ferocity blew a large flock of "Foo" birds way off course sending them inland many hundreds of miles and in the vicinity of the Goodnu's community. The Goodnu people had never seen a "Foo" bird and were quite curious as to it's sudden and obviously evil presence. The "Foo" bird, as we all know, is a very ugly, evil-looking bird. This caused the Goodnu people to become very uneasy believing they did something wrong to God and that this bird should be avoided. One day a "Foo" bird flew overhead and screeched: "Foo, Foo" and snit on a Goodnu's head. The man ran screaming into the river believing the Holy powers of the river would cleanse him of this evil turrdd and its consequences. As soon as the man washed this unholy turrdd from his ear canal he suddenly keeled over and died. The Goodnu's were now convinced of the "Foo" bird's evilness. The next day a woman was outside and heard: "Foo, Foo". Before she could react the "Foo" bird dropped a bomb landing a syrupy turrdd across her face. Shocked and panicked she ran into the river furiously washing her face of this sloppy stew. The village watched in horror as this woman also died once cleansed of the runny turrdd. The very next day a village wiseman heard those famous words: "Foo, Foo". He like others had witnessed the terrible deaths of two of his villages' people in the last two days. He too was struck right in the forehead by the "Foo" birds accurately guided turrdd missile. His first reaction was confusion and he sprinted towards the river. However, he stopped short and thought of his obvious demise should he cleanse the turrdd wafer from his forehead. He did not cleanse the poo pile from his forehead and lived. So the wiseman went to the other people of the village, gathered them around and stated to them: "There is an obvious lesson here my good people. The moral of this story is: 'If the Foo snits, wear it.'".

Yep, nothing but love here. Love, love, and more love. No hate. Got it now, moving on.

for the record, i dont hate favre. but im watching sportscenter this morning and they're doin their "favre update" and i'm thinkin how ridiculous this is.

it takes up too much airtime. why doesnt he just make a ####ing decision? he comin off like a drama queen.

:banned:

Yep, nothing but love here. Love, love, and more love. No hate. Got it now, moving on.
What an intelligent and well thought out argument.

Users who are viewing this thread